Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: Food Storage  (Read 10144 times)

Linda

• Prolific Member
Re: Food Storage
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2010, 04:04:58 PM »
Just one other thing to add, The cost of buying survival foods is enormous, so whatever one can do to cut the costs can make a big difference.

Linda
Linda :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 04:05:48 PM »
I have not watched the videos yet so if they have mentioned this excuse the repeat, if you store dehydrated food place a small handful of bay leaves in the bucket it will stop all insects they hate bay leaves and the whole leaves are easy to remove when you need to use the product. Bay leaves cost about $1.25 a ounce a stuffed sandwich bag or enough for about 8 buckets.

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 04:09:24 PM »
Great idea Nathan, I had not heard of using bay leaves to prevent bugs. You have to be so careful when storing long term in order to prevent bugs from getting inside. On one article I read it said they even get through those sealed bags, that's why you have to seal them in plastic then in the mylar and put in plastic buckets for long term.

Thanks,
Linda

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2010, 01:18:18 PM »
Nathan and Linda,
interesting! I had not heard of this before. Found sn article: How To

Keeping Bugs out of Your Flour

No one wants to begin a baking project only to find bugs in their flour. Pest control is especially important in the kitchen. There are things that can be done in any kitchen to prevent pest infestation.

A couple of the bugs to watch out for are cockroaches and weevils. While weevils are not harmful, cockroaches can carry disease.

Tools and Materials Needed
?Freezer
?Zippered storage bags (1 gallon size)
?Permanent marker
?Glass jars
?Labels
?Bay leaves
?Vinegar and water solution
?Rags
?Trash bag(s)
Step 1: Freezing
Freezing flour is an important step in preventing bug infestation. Simply put the flour sack into the freezer and leave it there for a full 24 hours.

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/stry/keeping-bugs-out-of-your-flour#ixzz0vrJR1MOq

Now, how about keeping the moths out? Once I had a big old bag of short grain brown rice the primo kind. I had no idea how moths got in there ...the way I had it stored.
- Yowbarb

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2010, 04:44:11 PM »
I also had trouble with moths, I think we bring them home from the store and then they infest in our foods at home. Hitchin a ride for free those little buggers! Once they get in your food they are hard to get rid of.
I am careful now to seal up things that they like.

Thanks for the list Barb.

Linda

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2010, 04:00:40 PM »
I also had trouble with moths, I think we bring them home from the store and then they infest in our foods at home. Hitchin a ride for free those little buggers! Once they get in your food they are hard to get rid of.
I am careful now to seal up things that they like.

Thanks for the list Barb.

Linda

Linda so far I have found moths to be the biggest pest. (Actually they seemed to be worse on the west
coast.) Out here we have tiny ants. I have to be careful when I do food prep that they aren't on the counter.
I remember my mom having to watch out for all the fruit flies when she was making a big batch of fruit preserves. All The Best,
Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2011, 12:09:34 PM »
Augonit and lInda, I am copying pasting here some ideas you had and had posted in the Survival library suggestion topic... those topics just supposed to have the titles or name of product the 10 digit ISBN or the Amazon ASIN etc. Keep on keepin on I value all your suggetions.

BTW Linda do we have a separate Topic for food dehydrating? I lost track of it.
Thanks for your expertise.
Barb
Dec 2010
Augonit, that's interesting, using your car. Would there be a chance the car may get too hot and cook the vegetables and fruit? Just wondering. You can build simple dehydrators that use the sun for drying. I have a book "The Solar Food Dryer" with some directions on building your own solar dehydrator. Or you can  hang stuff from hooks or lay on trays outside, but of course you have to be careful the birds or squirrels don't get to them.

Linda

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2011, 01:42:10 PM »
Barb, I think I did have a topic for dehydrating at one time, lost track of it as well. I will see if I can locate that thread.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2011, 01:07:26 AM »
Barb, I think I did have a topic for dehydrating at one time, lost track of it as well. I will see if I can locate that thread.

Linda that would be good - I wonder if we somehow lost that topic.
You had lots of good info there on drying foods...
- Barb

Charlie

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2011, 04:28:49 PM »
I got some info for ya's.  My dad used to solar dehydrate with a simple wood frame box covered with sheet plastic.  Some holes at the bottom and top covered with cheese cloth to keep bugs out but allow convection air flow.  Shelves with a few braces, covered with screen to place the foods on.  When there is no more condensate on the inner walls the food is dehydrated.

Now I just happen to have something similar to this mini greenhouse pictured in the link I think would be great to double as a seed starter in early spring and convert to a solar dehydrator...

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&sugexp=gsih&xhr=t&q=mini+greenhouse&cp=6&safe=off&wrapid=tljp1297551480962024&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=16455706035192755771&ei=pSFXTdLfLIS8lQfd__TgBw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=image&resnum=2&sqi=2&ved=0CEsQ8gIwAQ#

I used this in my home with a fogger last year to grow oyster mushrooms with little success but it worked somewhat.  Anyway I have moved it out and am going to give it a try should we have a spring and summer this year.

Also concerning some of the comments in the thread about dehydrating and moisture packets.  You can buy silica gel fairly cheap at Wal Mart in the kitty litter section and use the free tyvek priority mail envelopes from the post office to make your own absorber packs if you have a Seal-A-Meal sealer or other means of sealing.  Tyvek is a pourous woven plastic and is actually what the commercial absorber packs are made of.  Cut the envelopes to the size of packet you want, seal the sides except one in your sealer, spoon in the silica and seal the final opening and there you have it.  If you are concerned that the silica may not be effective, you can bake it for about 30 minutes in your oven to drive out any suspected moisture and then use it to make your packets. 

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2011, 05:15:50 AM »
Great post Charlie, good information thanks.

Linda

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2012, 11:06:34 AM »
It is important to have good food storage containers on hand...
Not to plug any particular product but here is just one idea...
- Yowbarb
http://www.bepreparedtosurvive.com/Otter%20Box.htm   Be Prepared site

OTTERBOX™  WATERPROOF CASES

Waterproof cases from OtterBox™ are great containers for survival Kits.  They have molded fiberglass reinforced ABS resin bodies that are virtually indestructible. These waterproof boxes withstand incredible pressure without damage. The closed cell neoprene o-ring creates a positive seal that is watertight to a depth of 100 feet. The soft foam liner in these watertight storage cases provides extra protection for your valuables (foam liner excluded in 1000 and all clear models). Each watertight storage box comes with a nylon lanyard for easy carrying. The stainless steel hinge pins will not corrode in or near salt water. These waterproof boxes offer a lifetime guarantee.  All models listed below are available in Yellow, Black, and Clear.

OTTERBOX™  3500

The dimensions of the OtterBox 3500 are:  External: 8.813" x 5.175" x 4.179"  Internal: 7.549" x 3.606" x 3.326"  Weight: 18.08 oz.

21319 - OtterBox 3500 - Yellow - $23.75 

21320 - OtterBox 3500 - Black - $23.75 

21321 - OtterBox 3500 - Clear - $23.75

Yowbarb Note: Small bugout bag size Otter box:

OTTERBOX™  1000

[The dimensions of the OtterBox 1000 are:  External: 4.837" x 3.682" x 1.652"  Internal: 3.700" x 2.350" x 1.000"  Weight: 5.28 Oz.

21300 - OtterBox 1000 - Yellow - $9.75 

21301 - OtterBox 1000 - Black - $9.75 

21302 - OtterBox 1000 - Clear - $9.75
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 11:08:32 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2013, 07:30:55 PM »
One fellow on here posted the idea of storing goods in boxes. Anyway that was a good idea. In case it was time to take a load of supplies to
another location there would be no packing.
I know plastic tote boxes can a bit expensive, unless you fid a good deal (which I will look for and post) anyway I really like the kind which
fits snugly and you snap it shut on both sides. There is enough of a handle that it's easy to carry. I got some at Target for our bulk cat food.
It would hold several cans of food.
Another good idea is to have a dolly in your pantry so if you need to vacate the premises and will take a load of supplies you just grab the boxes
and dolly them out.

The kind I have looks a bit sturdier than this one , but I think this would work.
- Yowbarb

bk

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2013, 11:31:26 PM »
Barb,

The best time to find plastic tote boxes I have found is after Christmas when they put all of the red & green ones on sale @ 50% off.

Bob

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2013, 08:52:06 AM »
Many times plastic totes can be purchased at the Goodwill or other thrift stores.  I have several I purchased at those places.

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!