Linda - SURVIVAL HEALTH > Alternative Medicine - Herbs, Foods and Methods

Fermenting Foods

(1/3) > >>

Linda:
"The process of fermenting foods to preserve them and to make them more digestible and more nutritious is as old as humanity." Fermented foods are a powerful aid to digestion and a protection against disease.

Learning the art of fermentation can be a lifesaver if we have no refrigeration and or fresh foods. This would be a great source of nutrition. Captain James Cook, the eighteenth century English explorer, was recognized for having conquered scurvy (vitamin C deficiency) among his crews by sailing with large quantities of sauerkraut. On his second round the world voyage, in the 1770's, sixty barrels of kraut lasted for twenty-seven months, and not a single crew member developed scurvy, which previously had killed huge numbers of the crews of long sea voyages.

I don't plan on a long sea voyage, but any length of time living without our conveniences and we will be in trouble food wise. We need to learn to create nutrient dense foods if we are to survive in a healthy state.

I first started with fermented pickles, kombucha tea, fermented beet drink, and keifer. These all have their own nutritional  qualities.
I would be happy to share how to's with anyone that is interested.

Books: Wild fermentation, author Sandor Ellix Katz
          Nourishing Traditions, author, Sally Fallon
          Preserving Food without freezing or canning, author. The Gardeners & Farmers of Terre Vivante

Yowbarb:
Linda I am very glad you brought up this concept.
Fermenting of foods is a very ancient human practice and practically lost. A good thing to learn.

The Japanese have been making fermented soybean soysauce (Tamari) and
the fermented rice and/or soy or wheat paste called miso (as you know.)

Regarding the saurkraut I notice when I have a little bit of fermented foods such as
saurkraut in my diet, I feel better. I think it strengthens the digestion and probably brings a concentration
of minerals, too.
Used to have the tamari and miso almost daily... a good idea to have some.

Thanks,
Yowbarb

Yowbarb:
I used to make the kombucha tea too. I moved a few too many times and sort of got out
of the habit. When I was doing that, I noticed some relief from allergies.
Yowbarb

Linda:
I know Barb, somehow we get busy in life and we get out of practice doing things. I just made a batch of Kombucha and flavored it with dark sweet cherries, dang it is tasty!

Yowbarb:

--- Quote from: Linda on April 06, 2010, 09:40:40 AM ---I know Barb, somehow we get busy in life and we get out of practice doing things. I just made a batch of Kombucha and flavored it with dark sweet cherries, dang it is tasty!

--- End quote ---

That sounds really great!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version