Author Topic: what is 'survival food' / what to think of  (Read 9896 times)

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: what is 'survival food' / what to think of
« Reply #120 on: August 27, 2017, 05:21:39 PM »
The Papa Chonca potato was discussed, IIRC, in the SEEDS subject, but since I've ordered and planted them, late BTW, and they are now thriving, it's time to show and tell.
The guy offering this variety said it's the closest thing to a perennial potato, so I felt compelled to have it.  It's still only August, so there's a chance of a small harvest, plus some may remain in the ground for next year.  We'll see...

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #121 on: August 27, 2017, 06:07:16 PM »
Those grew quickly for you Ilinda, and they look very healthy indeed!

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #122 on: October 10, 2017, 07:19:25 AM »
Here is a recipe for Survival Bread that is supposed to supply all the nutrients needed (?) for an adult and last indefinitely.  For those who have been prepping a while, there comes a point when we realize that bread and dry starchy foods such as cereals, chips and crackers are the weak spot in long-term storage variety because the oils go rancid, and they are ever so costly to buy in the nitrogen flushed cans, at least in quantity.  It would be great if we could bake our starchy foods from scratch daily, but Marshall cautiously warns us not to count on it, at least not at first.  So this recipe could be made ahead of time and wrapped and stored in mouse-proof buckets.  It is not quite cool enough in the daytime here for me to begin baking again, but will hope to try it soon:

http://thereliantself.blogspot.com/2010/06/survival-bread.html

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #123 on: October 10, 2017, 11:27:46 AM »
Here is a recipe for Survival Bread that is supposed to supply all the nutrients needed (?) for an adult and last indefinitely.  For those who have been prepping a while, there comes a point when we realize that bread and dry starchy foods such as cereals, chips and crackers are the weak spot in long-term storage variety because the oils go rancid, and they are ever so costly to buy in the nitrogen flushed cans, at least in quantity.  It would be great if we could bake our starchy foods from scratch daily, but Marshall cautiously warns us not to count on it, at least not at first.  So this recipe could be made ahead of time and wrapped and stored in mouse-proof buckets.  It is not quite cool enough in the daytime here for me to begin baking again, but will hope to try it soon:

http://thereliantself.blogspot.com/2010/06/survival-bread.html

From reading the ingredient list, it looks like oats, powdered milk and honey are the most nutritious ingredients.  I wonder, do you think the sugar is even needed, being that honey is sweet and contains mineral, vitamins, etc., while white sugar is empty calories?

At any rate, the most appealing thing is the indefinite storage life.  Thanks for posting!

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #124 on: October 10, 2017, 12:31:37 PM »
I feel the same way Ilinda, and would think the honey would be enough :)