Author Topic: Distilling and Purifying Water  (Read 11290 times)

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
Perfect water
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2016, 07:05:15 AM »
The perfect water has about 50 parts-per-million, is free of toxins and is properly structured.

I've been distilling water for about 15 years. I avoid tap water ["toilet paper water"] if at all possible; hell, i'd prefer not even to bathe in it, for how do i know what my skin might absorb?

There are many opinions on how to 'create' good drinking water but after listening to heath gurus and the like for years, here's my 2 cents worth:
- there is nothing like distillation for water
- however, modern chemicals often have similar evaporation points as water, making distillation in regard to these chemicals useless; therefore it is best to apply a reverse osmosis filter to your distilled water.
- structuring such 'dead' water can be done in many ways; the most simple: add some seasalt and shake to oxiginate.

Health guru Gabriel Cousens suggests water left to stand in MOONlight is better. I have personally placed my distilled water in sunlight in clear glass containers and can attest that it tastes much better afterwards; however, i've never tried 'moonlighting'.

Many people vortex their water, with or without strong magnets to restructure them.
Pyramids, praying/meditation, it could all be worthwhile, but let's get back to 'survival water' for a minute.

MMS is sodium chlorite that's been activated by an acid. One can either throw MMS in water or one can leave sodium chlorite to stand in water for a day. Either way i believe it's always good to have MMS on hand.

Chlorine may be poisonous but it will also evaporate out of water left in an open container. The great thing about chlorine is that it is cheap and easy to come by. It may destroy much of the environment today but in your future it could be a life saver. Just give it time to evaporate out of whatever water you wish to drink.

Before you start treating the water you wish/need to drink, perhaps you'll be wanting to make an 'Egyptian well'; you dig a hole next to a river or pond and collect what water seeps into it.
THEN, after you have yourself some gross water  ??? ya might wanna filter it through some basic filtering device.
You still might wanna treat it or boil it (but if you're digging an Egyptian well to begin with, chances are you're short on such 'luxuries'...).

The best place to save water is... in your body.
In the book Born To Run there are 2 interesting things on ultra marathon runners going to extremes to get liquids into their systems; in one account a runner drinks his own urine even though it is brownish... [where's a vomit icon when you need one...?]
In another, 2 runners lose their way and come across a pond covered with algae and dirt; they collect some water from below the surface to drink; amazingly, they don't get sick from it.

One guy crossed an ocean in a raft to prove one can live off of seawater; after weeks at sea he actually made it. He says the trick is to take small sips at a time.
There's another account of a family at ses on a raft and 2 small boys are too sick to drink; their parents put seawater from behind as an enema, based on the idea that the last part of the intestines is naturally able to extract water from what's in there. It saves the boys' lives.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 07:45:55 AM by Socrates »
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
dollar store distiller
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2017, 10:20:17 PM »
Dollar store distiller
I want me one of these! Now to find out where to get it...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 04:03:24 AM by Socrates »
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Perfect water
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2017, 12:17:32 AM »
The perfect water has about 50 parts-per-million, is free of toxins and is properly structured.

I've been distilling water for about 15 years. I avoid tap water ["toilet paper water"] if at all possible; hell, i'd prefer not even to bathe in it, for how do i know what my skin might absorb?

There are many opinions on how to 'create' good drinking water but after listening to heath gurus and the like for years, here's my 2 cents worth:
- there is nothing like distillation for water
- however, modern chemicals often have similar evaporation points as water, making distillation in regard to these chemicals useless; therefore it is best to apply a reverse osmosis filter to your distilled water.
- structuring such 'dead' water can be done in many ways; the most simple: add some seasalt and shake to oxiginate.

Health guru Gabriel Cousens suggests water left to stand in MOONlight is better. I have personally placed my distilled water in sunlight in clear glass containers and can attest that it tastes much better afterwards; however, i've never tried 'moonlighting'.

Many people vortex their water, with or without strong magnets to restructure them.
Pyramids, praying/meditation, it could all be worthwhile, but let's get back to 'survival water' for a minute.

MMS is sodium chlorite that's been activated by an acid. One can either throw MMS in water or one can leave sodium chlorite to stand in water for a day. Either way i believe it's always good to have MMS on hand.

Chlorine may be poisonous but it will also evaporate out of water left in an open container. The great thing about chlorine is that it is cheap and easy to come by. It may destroy much of the environment today but in your future it could be a life saver. Just give it time to evaporate out of whatever water you wish to drink.

Before you start treating the water you wish/need to drink, perhaps you'll be wanting to make an 'Egyptian well'; you dig a hole next to a river or pond and collect what water seeps into it.
THEN, after you have yourself some gross water  ??? ya might wanna filter it through some basic filtering device.
You still might wanna treat it or boil it (but if you're digging an Egyptian well to begin with, chances are you're short on such 'luxuries'...).

The best place to save water is... in your body.
In the book Born To Run there are 2 interesting things on ultra marathon runners going to extremes to get liquids into their systems; in one account a runner drinks his own urine even though it is brownish... [where's a vomit icon when you need one...?]
In another, 2 runners lose their way and come across a pond covered with algae and dirt; they collect some water from below the surface to drink; amazingly, they don't get sick from it.

One guy crossed an ocean in a raft to prove one can live off of seawater; after weeks at sea he actually made it. He says the trick is to take small sips at a time.
There's another account of a family at ses on a raft and 2 small boys are too sick to drink; their parents put seawater from behind as an enema, based on the idea that the last part of the intestines is naturally able to extract water from what's in there. It saves the boys' lives.

Great info.
Socrates, thank you.

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Distilling and Purifying Water
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2017, 06:08:28 PM »
Yes, we all do need to rethink our "water", as so much comes from taps, and who knows what all is in it.  Yikes.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: link
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2017, 04:04:15 AM »
Dollar store distiller
fixed the link  :-[
survival database

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Distilling and Purifying Water
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2017, 03:22:57 PM »
Have been canning lots of jars of distilled water lately, because I hate it when those plastic grocery jugs begin leaking from the seams, which happens in as little as six months of storage time here.  We depend on distilled water to make colloidal silver in our home, and wouldn't want to be without it in the aftertime. 

So, have been emptying our store-bought jugs of distilled water into pint canning jars and pressure canning them for 5 minutes at 10# pressure, similarly to canning juice.  Although distilled water is already sterile, it needs to be re-processed briefly to get the jars to vacuum seal. 

Once cooled, the sealed jars are wrapped in bubble wrap and stashed by the baker's dozen in 5 gallon buckets with lids.  These are placed at the bottom of a short stack of buckets in the root cellar, so that if the stack is jolted and falls, the glass in the bottom tier of pails is less likely to break. 

Socrates, your "find" is wonderful, and perhaps a more sustainable way of sourcing distilled water in the aftertime!

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: link
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2017, 05:39:35 PM »
Dollar store distiller
fixed the link  :-[
Fascinating!  Plus, I see another possible use for it--brewing wine.  I remember when I made wine the first time, and in a very primitive way, I had tubing coming out the top, and looped it up, over, and down into a container of water, so that the open end of the tubing through which the CO2 was being bubbled off, was under the water, and thus prevented air from getting to the wine and ruining it.

When the bubbles stopped, the wine was ready.  That's decades ago, but I like this idea of the stainless steel.  The tubing might have to be bent downward a tad bit for the wine project, but it looks so substantial and much longer lasting than plastic tubing.

Another possible use might be the "table-top distiller" that some use for making their own essential oils at home.  This apparatus might need something else to work properly, but it's a start.
Thanks for posting.

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Distilling and Purifying Water: iodine calculations
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2017, 06:55:00 AM »
Iodine is portable and necessary to ingest for human health.  When no heat source exists for boiling water, or when treating large amounts of water, it may be preferable to chlorine.

The World Health Organization says that iodine, when not in ethanol tincture form, is more stable than chlorine, which deteriorates both with time and with exposure to organic matter in water.  The use of chlorine makes more sense in large community supplies of water due to cost effectiveness, but iodine may be a better choice for personal or individual household emergency water purification. It is generally recognized as safe at a dose of below 4 mg/L.
http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/hygiene/emergencies/fs2_16.pdf

The CDC says iodine has "high effectiveness" in removing bacteria and viruses from water.
https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/travel/backcountry_water_treatment.html

The CDC, however, does say that chemical treatment is not effective against cysts and protozoan eggs.  Water to be treated with iodine should be put through layers of clean cloth first to pre-filter it, if drawn from a questionable source.
https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/travel/emergency_disinfection.html

The EPA gives iodine dosing guidelines: 5 drops of 2% iodine tincture per quart/liter of clear water; 10 drops per quart or liter of cloudy water.
https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2015-11/documents/epa816f15003.pdf

Lugol's iodine solution, widely available in health food stores, does not contain alcohol, so is a stable form of iodine.  It is available in either a 2% or 5% solution.  The High-Altitude Medicine guide ( http://www.high-altitude-medicine.com/water.html ) says if using the 5% Lugol's solution, 4 drops per quart or liter will be needed.  The guide gives other variables to consider: contact time, water temperature, and turbidity.  It suggests adding 50 mg vitamin C after the correct amount of contact time (between 15 and 60 minutes) is achieved, using the slogan "flavor later" to remind readers that flavoring can interfere with efficacy if added too soon.  Flavor can also be improved by shaking treated water up to add air.

A useful calculation table for iodine dispensed via eye-dropper is located here: http://www.jcrows.com/calculating.html

The EPA's guideline of using 5 drops of 2% Lugol's solution can be extrapolated to 2 or 3 drops of 5% solution per quart or liter, which is slightly less than the recommendations of High-Altitude Medicine guide.

Standard calculations:
A single drop from a standard eye-dropper is .05 mL.
A one-ounce bottle of Lugol's contains 600 drops, or 30 mL.
Each dropperful contains 20 drops or one full mL.
A 55 gallon water barrel (rain or food-grade) contains roughly 220 liters or quarts.
Filled to the 50 gallon mark to allow for air contact (to help with flavor), contains roughly 200 liters or quarts.
If using the 5% Lugol's solution at the least recommended level by EPA, you would need 2/3 bottle per barrel of water.  At $6 per 5% bottle, that's $4 to disinfect 50 gallons of drinking water.  Other water can be used for cleaning and bathing.  If drinking a half-gallon of water per day, this supply would last 100 days, or more than a quarter of a year for one person. 

Footnote: Though for now we're putting clean well water into storage barrels, I take the added precaution of disinfecting the portion allotted for drinking in order to save the trouble of changing the water out every six months.  Half of the barrels are left untreated, and these are tentatively reserved for cooking, dish washing and bathing. 

« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 06:45:23 PM by R.R. Book »