Author Topic: What would better a person's odds of surviving an emergency?  (Read 5594 times)

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: What would better a person's odds of surviving an emergency?
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2017, 02:43:21 PM »
Those tools sound wonderful y'all - I'm still using an old kitchen spoon!  ::)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: What would better a person's odds of surviving an emergency?
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2017, 04:04:54 PM »
HAM communications gear will be “essential” in the aftertime, I have posted extensively about this elsewhere on the forum (especially HF gear that can be battery operated with low current draw). The 80M HAM band will probably serve us best for “local” (200-300 kilometers range) with just a long wire for an antenna.

Don’t focus on all of the fancy HAM gear on the various websites, get something small portable with a low current draw. If you can handle a soldering iron (and if not get involved with your local HAM radio group and learn) so you can fix it yourself if something goes wrong. Something with 5-10 watts output is ideal.

I have built a couple of these, very good kit to get started on, it has ~50ma current draw on receive and could run for days on a 35AH Gel Cell battery. I have one “EMP Protected” in an empty paint can from the local hardware store they cost about $6.00 each:

KD1JV Survivor 75m SSB transceiver
http://qrpkits.com/survivor.html

I have written more about all of this other places on the forum..
Max.

Excellent stuff, MadMax. I'm glad you have posted this in other places on the forum, too.
- Barb T.