Author Topic: what is 'survival food' / what to think of  (Read 9357 times)

Solani

• Trusted Member
Re: Survival food
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2017, 04:54:13 PM »
For me when I think of survival food... the first that comes to my mind is pemmican. Pemmican alone has kept many Indians and trappers/hunters alive and healthy, when fresh food stuffs were scarce.

We’re blessed here with that one of Dan’s best friends in town is a butcher and basically is the only butcher in the area around here. We get all the scraps and bones we want and I am in no way above salvaging whatever meat is left on the bones once he’s finished with them. I have 5 deep freezers out here full of meat of all kinds that I’m now going through and canning. Granted most is very lean hamburger and stew meat but hey, I’m fine with that and free is free, just have to put a little elbow grease into it along with a sharp knife. Our dog is also very well fed and so is “our wolf pack” ;) I also render and can a lot of beef fat. Pork fat too but I prefer beef fat/tallow. Anyhow, I have made quite a lot of pemmican for future use. If anyone wants the instructions to how I make the pemmican I make, I’ll be more than happy to share it.

I also can butter for future use but beef fat itself can be used for so many things other than merely a fatty source for food. Just to mention a few uses is: soap, balm and candles.

Other very inexpensive “survival food” that has at least a shelf life of 30 years if stored in airtight containers or Mylar bags with oxy-absorbers, is beans and rice… (pasta too) Example. Dry kidney beans soak in water overnight, longer if they’re old… Pour off soaking water, add new water and cook, add more water if needed. In a separate pan boil your rice. Once both beans and rice are cooked, mix them together with a little fat/butter/lard and whatever spices you like and there you have a meal that will keep you going.

A lot of people forget about spices when prepping. There is no such thing as having to much spices… That especially goes for SALT… As salt is also essential when curing meats, tanning hides and much more. but also as a bargaining item that will be worth its weight in gold when everyone else has run out of it… but also make sure to have a large variation of spices. If push comes to shove and you find yourself having to eat the inner bark off of tree’s and whatever else, even creepy crawlies  :o that hopefully won’t kill you, you can at least make it taste good… Sorry if I’m sounding like I’m joking… I’m actually not… Sitting down to eat something that tastes good, goes a long way in keeping ones spirit up. Yes, we need to make sure we have the necessities for what is to come but what good is it to have everything considered necessary if you don’t have a few of the things that make you feel good too?
//Solani
In order to determine what is possible, one only needs to step out into what is considered impossible and look around...

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: what is 'survival food'? CALORIES...
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2017, 05:49:01 AM »
A calorie = a calorie = a calorie...
Yeah, there are sources of calories that cause unnecessary energy for the body to deal with, but in the end a "calorie" is just a measurement of energy and is objective in nature.

So whether you get a calorie from proteins, fats, carbs or alcohol, in the end it is all the same [moral issues notwithstanding...]:
Carbohydrate: 4 calories/gram
Protein: 4 calories/gram
Alcohol: 7 calories/gram
Fats: 9 calories/gram

In the real world all of this works out counter-intuitively, for a pound of bread is also 40% water, whereas a pound of sausage or cheese is much less water and much more pure calories [i.e. per weight].

However, i would like to speak on the matter of alcohol and minerals in a diet.
I know, i know... this is all very politically incorrect...
But the oldest known people in the world have survived on mead and rice wine!
No, no, no... They did not "have some alcohol as part of their diet"... but rather, their diet itself consisted of alcohol to an important degree...!!!

The 256-year-old Chinese gentleman who was approached by the emperor himself how to achieve longevity, lived off of rice wine and a few herbs...
And many people living up to 150 years in good health[!] lived mainly off of mead and other hive products [read: alcohol and honey (or sugar)]

So... calories...
Alcohol contains calories but so do honey and sugar cubes. Now, the main problem with sugar cubes is that (the chemically-manufactured) sugar robes the body of minerals. But people living off of mead and hive products get all the minerals they need because the bees bring them in to the honey.
And then there's rice wine and herbs; rice is a form of grass and grasses have the unique property that they absorb all minerals that are present in the soil. And then there are the herbs that contain within them all kinds of minerals; did that 256-year-old Chinese gentleman fare so well because he was getting all the calories and minerals he needed through his unique diet?

Wine is made from grapes; and grapes root very deeply, which is why they survive in very dry regions. So in many ways grape vines are akin to trees in that they get their minerals and water from great depths. So the fruits of these vines may also contain many minerals that other plants (that do not root as deeply) do not. And the wine made from the grapes from these plants... may indeed be very nourishing. Add some herbs and   voilá!: you have yourself a heavenly diet consisting of all the calories and minerals you could hope for...
... and all on a welcoming buzz of alcohol... [since you're getting over having just watched your entire world go to pieces...]

Now could one, similarly, also survive on a diet of sugar cubes and herbs...?
Just thinking out loud here; at least you'd have your calories!
Why pose the question?
Because sugar is so damn cheap and because calories are so damn important...
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: calories & minerals...
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2017, 09:26:09 AM »
Okay, so what am i saying?

After TSHTF... [in a Stone Age/non-limited-cataclysm way], you may find [i.e. if you survive...] that megagales and -quakes have destroyed most life and you'll be lucky to find any flora growing anywhere...
These are the times when your knowledge of what constitute edible herbs may save your life.

Having said that... Herbs provide minerals and enzymes but they do not provide much in the way of calories [hey, considering the importance of 'glyconutrients'], so you need to balance 'crude energies' with 'subtle energies' intelligently.

What is "crude"and what is a "subtle" energy?
Well, calories are crude: carbs, proteins, fats or alcohol;
subtle are minerals and their vibrations; yeah, all matter is just energy at a certain vibration and herbs and such supply us with the vibrations we require. However, it's all about the minerals in our system, supplying us with the vibrations we need.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 10:51:32 PM by Socrates »
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2017, 08:49:15 PM »
For me when I think of survival food... the first that comes to my mind is pemmican. Pemmican alone has kept many Indians and trappers/hunters alive and healthy, when fresh food stuffs were scarce.

We’re blessed here with that one of Dan’s best friends in town is a butcher and basically is the only butcher in the area around here. We get all the scraps and bones we want and I am in no way above salvaging whatever meat is left on the bones once he’s finished with them. I have 5 deep freezers out here full of meat of all kinds that I’m now going through and canning. Granted most is very lean hamburger and stew meat but hey, I’m fine with that and free is free, just have to put a little elbow grease into it along with a sharp knife. Our dog is also very well fed and so is “our wolf pack” ;) I also render and can a lot of beef fat. Pork fat too but I prefer beef fat/tallow. Anyhow, I have made quite a lot of pemmican for future use. If anyone wants the instructions to how I make the pemmican I make, I’ll be more than happy to share it.

I also can butter for future use but beef fat itself can be used for so many things other than merely a fatty source for food. Just to mention a few uses is: soap, balm and candles.

Other very inexpensive “survival food” that has at least a shelf life of 30 years if stored in airtight containers or Mylar bags with oxy-absorbers, is beans and rice… (pasta too) Example. Dry kidney beans soak in water overnight, longer if they’re old… Pour off soaking water, add new water and cook, add more water if needed. In a separate pan boil your rice. Once both beans and rice are cooked, mix them together with a little fat/butter/lard and whatever spices you like and there you have a meal that will keep you going.

A lot of people forget about spices when prepping. There is no such thing as having to much spices… That especially goes for SALT… As salt is also essential when curing meats, tanning hides and much more. but also as a bargaining item that will be worth its weight in gold when everyone else has run out of it… but also make sure to have a large variation of spices. If push comes to shove and you find yourself having to eat the inner bark off of tree’s and whatever else, even creepy crawlies  :o that hopefully won’t kill you, you can at least make it taste good… Sorry if I’m sounding like I’m joking… I’m actually not… Sitting down to eat something that tastes good, goes a long way in keeping ones spirit up. Yes, we need to make sure we have the necessities for what is to come but what good is it to have everything considered necessary if you don’t have a few of the things that make you feel good too?
//Solani

Solani, great post.
Sounds like you are well into actual survival living, that is great.
The fat is good to have around, can bake with it too...

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2017, 05:44:06 PM »

//Solani

Solani, great post.
Sounds like you are well into actual survival living, that is great.
The fat is good to have around, can bake with it too...
I'll second that.  You're probably living now like you might be in a few years.  You've been planning quite a while, obviously.  And thinking outside the box. 

The beans and rice dish with spices and fat sounds a lot like how we eat about every day!  It's fairly easy and nutritious.

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: what is 'survival food' / what to think of
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2017, 06:24:48 AM »
Wow, Thanks Socrates, Barb, Solani and others for this great thread!  I've spent the morning reading it and following the links. 

Solani, I haven't seen you on the board for a few weeks, and hope you're still around.  Would love your recipe for pemmican!

Socrates, do naturally fermented alcoholic beverages lack the B-vitamin-depletion issue common to other alcoholic beverages?  Does mead from honey count as a probiotic-rich starter culture that you mentioned we should have on hand?

Barb, Your story of the time that you and your children lived in the woods was fascinating but all too brief, and honestly sounds as if it would make a wonderful book, should you ever find time to elaborate on it.  In fact, it sounds like the kind of book that would be re-read time and again.  Or maybe a thread devoted to chapters or even paragraphs as you're able to grab the time?

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: naturally fermented beverages
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2017, 09:43:24 AM »
do naturally fermented alcoholic beverages lack the B-vitamin-depletion issue common to other alcoholic beverages?  Does mead from honey count as a probiotic-rich starter culture that you mentioned we should have on hand?
Did you just answer your own question...? Yeah, i think you did.
Factory sugar, factory brew, factory veggies, factory doo...
Daniel Vitalis actually suggests that naturally fermented alcohols are good for the liver (whereas commonly accessible acoholic beverages are bad). I do not doubt he is right.
Stephen Buhner's research on the matter suggests that people throughout the ages have achieved extreme logevity by consuming (exclusively) hive products.
survival database

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: what is 'survival food' / what to think of: rice flour
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2017, 08:36:48 AM »
Other very inexpensive “survival food” that has at least a shelf life of 30 years if stored in airtight containers or Mylar bags with oxy-absorbers, is beans and rice…

Solani's comment about the extended storage life of rice (white and parboiled only though), reminded me to mention that enriched white rice makes the best long-term storage flour ( http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen-tips/t--1039/flour-storage-guide.asp ).  Of course, medical wisdom until very recently advised us only to eat whole grains, but then quite a number of folks began experiencing inflammation from "Leaky Gut Syndrome," and at least for those individuals, the medical advice is, once again, changing to "Eat high-fiber fruits and vegetables, but not whole grain starches."  More on that here: http://www.ancestral-nutrition.com/why-white-rice-is-healthier-than-brown-rice/

We need to distinguish between "white rice flour" and "sweet or sticky white rice flour."  White rice flour is used just as it says, as a flour, while sticky or sweet rice flour is a substitute for corn starch.  Here are some available brands on the market: Bob's Red Mill, Hodgson Mill, Arrowhead Mills, LivingNow, Ener-G, Goya, Tres Estrellas, Erawan, Deep, Spicy World, and Olive Nation.  Expect to pay around a dollar per pound right now, optimally, and consider routinely freezing it for 72 hours to kill insects and their eggs before filling buckets and bins with it.

Besides using rice flour to bake your favorite comfort foods in a dutch oven on a woodstove or over a fire, it can also be used to make batter-fried vegies / edible flowers or mixed in with the dried storage potatoes that Ilinda suggested above to make potato pancakes. Can also can be used to make regular pancakes and crepes.  All simple items to help fill hungry stomachs and please palates that are tiring of storage food.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 08:48:49 AM by R.R. Book »

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: what is 'survival food' / what to think of: baking powder substitute
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2017, 09:03:13 AM »
Baking powder has a relatively short shelf life, but there are two long-term storage ingredients that, when combined, can substitute for baking powder: baking soda and cream of tartar.

Recipe: 1 t baking soda to 2 t cream of tartar.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2017, 08:23:02 PM »
do naturally fermented alcoholic beverages lack the B-vitamin-depletion issue common to other alcoholic beverages?  Does mead from honey count as a probiotic-rich starter culture that you mentioned we should have on hand?
Daniel Vitalis actually suggests that naturally fermented alcohols are good for the liver (whereas commonly accessible acoholic beverages are bad). I do not doubt he is right.
Stephen Buhner's research on the matter suggests that people throughout the ages have achieved extreme logevity by consuming (exclusively) hive products.

Socrates, great info - I learn new stuff all the time with you here.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2017, 08:23:35 PM »

Socrates, great info - Keep on Keepin' On. :)

Solani

• Trusted Member
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2017, 12:22:30 PM »
Wow, Thanks Socrates, Barb, Solani and others for this great thread!  I've spent the morning reading it and following the links. 

Solani, I haven't seen you on the board for a few weeks, and hope you're still around.  Would love your recipe for pemmican!

Hi R.R. & Everyone! :)
Yes, I’m still here. Been through a rough couple of months but refuse to stay down! Feels like I’ve been bombarded with so much crap, just to keep me going in the wrong direction!! Also, been down so many “rabbit holes”, which perhaps had been better to steer clear of but I’ve never been known to back away from a challenge as well as usually quite enjoy digging deeper into what others believe in.
Add to that energies all around are intensifying immensely. Plus, my own crap with my PTSD as an added "bonus" (NOT) which can at times send me into a total tail spin!

So many emotions, visions, thoughts popping in and out for a split second, not giving me enough time to sort through one before the next comes crashing in. Vivid/Lucid dreaming that would put Steven Spielberg to shame!! Add into the mix, natural energy from the sun and earth rapidly escalating daily. Being that I am highly sensitive to all forms of energy; it is taking its toll on me. Most days I’ve had to stay away from all forms of news of the world outside our property. Also, got married to Dan on the 7th of June. 😍 Positive, yes but still kind of draining my energy. Positive stress can also add to the total amount of experienced stress.

I’ve been submerging myself in prepping, getting our food preps in order, canning, putting dry foods in Mylar-bags, making an inventory of what we have and what we need, both when it comes to food stuffs as well as tools, medical supplies etc. etc. Just trying to keep my mind busy and not let it wander off to far from home… LOL

Weather here is totally out of whack! Haven’t been able to start my garden as we still have freezing temperatures nightly a few times a week. My poor potato baby plants are growing out of their small buckets. Come hell or high water, I’ll have to plant them in their tire planters and stack lots of straw on them nightly. Have been pressure canning a lot of various meats and now going to try my hands at pressure canning potatoes. Wish me luck. Oh well, if it doesn’t work out, I guess we’ll at least end up with canned mashed potatoes… :P Decided against putting in a veggie garden this year and will buy what I need for canning at the farmers market. I don’t feel that I have time to both garden as well as build our root-cellar and “underground bunker”. It has finally dried up enough out here so that I can get to the excavator to move it, without permanently digging myself into the mud… I am really looking forward to learning how to operate that big contraption! Yeah, I’m weird!  ;D

Anyhow… I’m still here, just trying to gather up myself and hopefully put all the pieces of me back together again. What is it they say? Some assembly required…  ;)

Will get back to you all with my recipe for pemmican. Everyone, please remind me if there is anything else I had promised to post before my brain went for a walk-about.

//Solani
In order to determine what is possible, one only needs to step out into what is considered impossible and look around...

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2017, 01:45:55 PM »

Hi R.R. & Everyone! :)
Yes, I’m still here. Been through a rough couple of months but refuse to stay down! Feels like I’ve been bombarded with so much crap, just to keep me going in the wrong direction!! Also, been down so many “rabbit holes”, which perhaps had been better to steer clear of but I’ve never been known to back away from a challenge as well as usually quite enjoy digging deeper into what others believe in.
Add to that energies all around are intensifying immensely. Plus, my own crap with my PTSD as an added "bonus" (NOT) which can at times send me into a total tail spin!

So many emotions, visions, thoughts popping in and out for a split second, not giving me enough time to sort through one before the next comes crashing in. Vivid/Lucid dreaming that would put Steven Spielberg to shame!! Add into the mix, natural energy from the sun and earth rapidly escalating daily. Being that I am highly sensitive to all forms of energy; it is taking its toll on me. Most days I’ve had to stay away from all forms of news of the world outside our property. Also, got married to Dan on the 7th of June. 😍 Positive, yes but still kind of draining my energy. Positive stress can also add to the total amount of experienced stress.

I’ve been submerging myself in prepping, getting our food preps in order, canning, putting dry foods in Mylar-bags, making an inventory of what we have and what we need, both when it comes to food stuffs as well as tools, medical supplies etc. etc. Just trying to keep my mind busy and not let it wander off to far from home… LOL

Weather here is totally out of whack! Haven’t been able to start my garden as we still have freezing temperatures nightly a few times a week. My poor potato baby plants are growing out of their small buckets. Come hell or high water, I’ll have to plant them in their tire planters and stack lots of straw on them nightly. Have been pressure canning a lot of various meats and now going to try my hands at pressure canning potatoes. Wish me luck. Oh well, if it doesn’t work out, I guess we’ll at least end up with canned mashed potatoes… :P Decided against putting in a veggie garden this year and will buy what I need for canning at the farmers market. I don’t feel that I have time to both garden as well as build our root-cellar and “underground bunker”. It has finally dried up enough out here so that I can get to the excavator to move it, without permanently digging myself into the mud… I am really looking forward to learning how to operate that big contraption! Yeah, I’m weird!  ;D

Anyhow… I’m still here, just trying to gather up myself and hopefully put all the pieces of me back together again. What is it they say? Some assembly required…  ;)

Will get back to you all with my recipe for pemmican. Everyone, please remind me if there is anything else I had promised to post before my brain went for a walk-about.

//Solani
Congratulations to you and Dan on your new life together.  We are wishing you the best of everything, especially awareness.

Now about those potatoes.  I too had a "potato experience" this year and it wasn't too wonderful.  Dozens of volunteer potatoes came up in my garlic bed which I was finally able to dig yesterday.   The garlic crop, planted in October, 2016 and harvested June 16, 2017 certainly wasn't excellent, and it was b.cause of two reasons:  partial shade from adjacent pine tree; and bed was too full of potatoes /

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2017, 03:22:31 PM »
Solani welcome back!  :) Always glad to see you here.
Replying to portions of your post, and will be back...
First of all, Congratulations! I am thrilled for you that you got married to Dan!

Congratulations on getting married!    :)   :)   :)   :)   8)  ;D   :D   ;)   :-*  8)  ;D  :)
Also really nice, sounds you are really prepping in earnest.
Here's hoping things settle in nicely, and even with heightened activity and lots of personal growth,  joy and purpose to your life, you will not feel stressed.
This Town Hall is your home away from home.
- Barb Townsend

bluebonnet and indian paintbrush bouquet
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/58406126393251600/

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2017, 06:11:21 PM »
I second Barb and Ilinda, Solani!  Many blessings to the two of you.  We share the same wedding anniversary, BTW :)