Author Topic: "Location, location, location"...  (Read 1944 times)

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
"Location, location, location"...
« on: March 11, 2017, 01:18:26 PM »

The power of the state rested on 2 things: the army and taxes. And if you wanna create an army or raise taxes (or both) it's helpful to have a sedentary population that spends most of it's time producing food, because food is very valuable to a state; while gold and palaces are beautiful, you can't feed them to your army.

Hill cultures are formed by people running away from 'civilisation'. People flee to the hills because it makes it hard for states to find and conquer them.
Hill people are not people waiting to becomes 'civilized'; they're refugees from civilisation itself.
[/b]

The above is a classic [YouTube] CrashCourse episode on 'civilisation' and why people head for the hills when apparently 'everything worthwhile' is happening down in the valley...

Particularly check out what John Green has to say @ 5, 6 & 7 minutes of this presentation (if you don't have the time to watch the whole thing [which i wholly endorse]).
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 10:03:52 PM by Socrates »
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
YouTube classic
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 10:06:44 PM »
The above is a classic [YouTube] CrashCourse episode
:-\ If it wasn't clear... Click on image to go to the vid.  :P
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: "Location, location, location"...
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 10:13:09 AM »
Looks interesting...

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: "Location, location, location"...
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 04:14:50 PM »
Looks interesting...
It was interesting--when I clicked on it, I was taken to a video of the guy talking, and he was about half way through his presentation.  Yes, interesting, and I agree with much of it.

He does add what he perceives to be some of the benefits or perks of civilization such as antibiotics, internet, etc.  However I'd add that antibiotics never needed to  have been invented, nor other drugs of civilization, when you ponder how pretty much all bodies of water are now contaminated with every pharmaceutical man has ever manufactured, and probably some that are breakdown products; those bodies of water are also polluted with dioxins and thousands of other noxious chemicals.  Ahhh, civilization.

Agriculture to some is what has allowed our species to flourish, but from the very beginning agriculture is what allowed kings to be kings.  You can elaborate in many ways from that statement but it's true and agriculture has probably been the biggest blunder humans ever allowed to occur. 

And if we had remained in touch with Nature, we wouldn't need the internet.  We could tune in to our Wise Minds, Subconscious, Higher Self, or whatever we want to call it, and learn what we need to know.  The Kogi in Colombia can do that, as can a few other remnant populations, although development probably threatens every single one of them.

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: "civilization" & 'agriculture'...
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 07:47:30 PM »
Frankly, i have a problem with the word "civilization" when there's not much civilized going on there... I try to avoid that word in relation to modern culture, preferring to call it "sophisticated barbarism".

They say man's greatest (technological) achievements come about in times of war and a similar argument may then be made for or against 'civilization'. I think it's simple: just because certain (good) things came about one way or another, does not mean they could not come about some other [perhaps good] way, as well or even better. It tends to become a self-fulfilling prophecy with folks demanding things happen a certain way and therefore they just always do.

I say: until mankind embraces some kind of culture that religiously [perhaps literally] respects the vulnerability of the infant mind and the destructiveness of the authoritarian trauma, the world will always be run over by power mongers and incompetent parasites. So until we get there, it's best to stay out of mankind's way altogether and head for the hills.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 11:06:25 PM by Socrates »
survival database

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
FEMA
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 11:37:00 PM »
FEMA is a case in point; based on the proof the late [assassinated] William Cooper offers in his classic Behold A Pale Horse [half the book consists of documents to prove what he says], one must reevaluate what "FEMA" is...

Mainstream culture naively translates the meaning of "Federal Emergency Management Agency" into something benign along the lines of:
"National [i.e. "Federal"] Agency/Office to Manage Emergencies. But obviously that's not what FEMA's even called...

According to William Cooper (and indeed logic and experience), "F.E.M.A." can and should be understood to mean the following:
"An Agency for the Emergency Management [i.e. "martial law"] of the Federation" And our dear friend Cooper [who sacrificed his life to get this message out] argues clearly how what FEMA really is, is a shadow government in place to take outright control of the United States (and the U.S.A. [separate entities, if you didn't know]) as soon as martial law is declared.
["U.S." = the "Federation"; "U.S.A." = the country and it's inhabitants].

This is why FEMA does such a piss poor job of dealing with calamities: it's not their job! When FEMA comes by after Katrina or whatever, all they're really doing is taking advantage of the situation to practice the implementation of martial law. They're not there to help people, they're there to manage the situation and get hands-on experience for their people with martial law reality.

So, in this light, the U.S. is an especially treacherous country to be in once TSHTF since there's already an agency in place ready to pounce on the public, armed with over a billion hollow point rounds, concentration camps, and millions of cheap coffins for multiple people... I mean, really, there's only so much one can do in the shadows and in the end, how many Germans even knew about Auschwitz and the like while that was going on...? A few, for sure. But mainstreamers always ignore the few and focus on what's convenient to accept...

Anyway, in the end all i'm saying is that if there's one country in the world where heading for the hills ain't gonna cut it, it's the U.S. since they have a sophisticated trained agency in place to weed out y'all 'hillbillies' and other lovers of freedom...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 12:31:46 AM by Socrates »
survival database

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: FEMA
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 05:37:29 PM »
FEMA is a case in point; based on the proof the late [assassinated] William Cooper offers in his classic Behold A Pale Horse [half the book consists of documents to prove what he says], one must reevaluate what "FEMA" is...

Mainstream culture naively translates the meaning of "Federal Emergency Management Agency" into something benign along the lines of:
"National [i.e. "Federal"] Agency/Office to Manage Emergencies. But obviously that's not what FEMA's even called...

According to William Cooper (and indeed logic and experience), "F.E.M.A." can and should be understood to mean the following:
"An Agency for the Emergency Management [i.e. "martial law"] of the Federation" And our dear friend Cooper [who sacrificed his life to get this message out] argues clearly how what FEMA really is, is a shadow government in place to take outright control of the United States (and the U.S.A. [separate entities, if you didn't know]) as soon as martial law is declared.
["U.S." = the "Federation"; "U.S.A." = the country and it's inhabitants].

This is why FEMA does such a piss poor job of dealing with calamities: it's not their job! When FEMA comes by after Katrina or whatever, all they're really doing is taking advantage of the situation to practice the implementation of martial law. They're not there to help people, they're there to manage the situation and get hands-on experience for their people with martial law reality.

So, in this light, the U.S. is an especially treacherous country to be in once TSHTF since there's already an agency in place ready to pounce on the public, armed with over a billion hollow point rounds, concentration camps, and millions of cheap coffins for multiple people... I mean, really, there's only so much one can do in the shadows and in the end, how many Germans even knew about Auschwitz and the like while that was going on...? A few, for sure. But mainstreamers always ignore the few and focus on what's convenient to accept...

Anyway, in the end all i'm saying is that if there's one country in the world where heading for the hills ain't gonna cut it, it's the U.S. since they have a sophisticated trained agency in place to weed out y'all 'hillbillies' and other lovers of freedom...
You're correct about Cooper.  I have his book around here somewhere and it was several years after I read it that I learned that he knew too much about 9-11 and that's the main reason they took him out, although his book alone would have given some of TPTB reason.

And yeah, I remember how the head of FEMA, during the peak time of the Katrina disaster, spent three days in Washington debating on which of his expensive suits to wear to the press conference.

The illusion that FEMA is our "emergency management" agency is presented and sold to the American people, but it is just that--an illusion.  It has other agendas.

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: political illusions...
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 01:29:42 AM »
In the 'sovereignty community' such deceit by means of hollow phrases is called "word of art".  Others might sometimes call it "Orwellian". Hence the link i supplied to the topic of sovereignty; in the end even survival is political...   :-X
(Or is it: "especially survival is political...?)

It's disgusting, it's unwelcome, it's unfair... but there it is.
See Travolta's Battlefield Earth...
(Hero of the movie is "Barry Pepper"; now why did i read "Very Prepper"... ?  ;D )
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 01:52:14 AM by Socrates »
survival database

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
Valporquero caves [Spain]
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 12:52:07 PM »
am reviewing my options...

Though the Nerja caves are attractive, mainly because of their location in the south of Spain, i am revisting the idea of heading for the caves of Valporquero; why and why should you care?...

Well, so, what if the world ends November 2017...?
I will need to make preparations before then, but many of those preparations concern where the hell i make my 'last stand'... [again: location, location, location]

The simple fact is that not too long ago the Nerja caves were unknown because there was basically no entrance to them. So they found a 'hole in the ground' that led to wonderful caves, but that doesn't leave me, i.e. as a prepper, much to work with...
You see, this hole in the ground is not something i can move my supplies through, let alone my entire library... So, naturally, they have this wonderful new entrance into the caves nowadays for tourists, but how will i get supplies through there...?

Now, Valporquero is a different story. First of all there are 3 exits... Then there are 3 layers. So there's room to work within.
Hey, i'm reminded of Frank Herbert's Dune and how during the attack on Arrakis one of the Fremen remarks about Duke Leto's troups taking refuge in caves and being buried alive, saying: "Anyone who enters a cave with only one entrance deserves to die"...

Hey, maybe the fact that it gets cold in winter up at 1500m in the north of Spain is a good thing since the rot and decay inevitably following mass destruction will be a little more subdued than that in the south...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 01:23:37 PM by Socrates »
survival database

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Valporquero caves [Spain]
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 02:45:49 PM »
am reviewing my options...

Though the Nerja caves are attractive, mainly because of their location in the south of Spain, i am revisting the idea of heading for the caves of Valporquero; why and why should you care?...

Well, so, what if the world ends November 2017...?
I will need to make preparations before then, but many of those preparations concern where the hell i make my 'last stand'... [again: location, location, location]

The simple fact is that not too long ago the Nerja caves were unknown because there was basically no entrance to them. So they found a 'hole in the ground' that led to wonderful caves, but that doesn't leave me, i.e. as a prepper, much to work with...
You see, this hole in the ground is not something i can move my supplies through, let alone my entire library... So, naturally, they have this wonderful new entrance into the caves nowadays for tourists, but how will i get supplies through there...?

Now, Valporquero is a different story. First of all there are 3 exits... Then there are 3 layers. So there's room to work within.
Hey, i'm reminded of Frank Herbert's Dune and how during the attack on Arrakis one of the Fremen remarks about Duke Leto's troups taking refuge in caves and being buried alive, saying: "Anyone who enters a cave with only one entrance deserves to die"...

Hey, maybe the fact that it gets cold in winter up at 1500m in the north of Spain is a good thing since the rot and decay inevitably following mass destruction will be a little more subdued than that in the south...
Do you have map(s) of any of the caves you are considering?  No, I don't mean you need to post them, but no doubt you're curious about the layout.

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: cave maps
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 05:34:01 AM »
Do you have map(s) of any of the caves you are considering?  [...]no doubt you're curious about the layout.
In my experience it is surprisingly difficult to get good data on caves, online at least. And for caves in countries with non-English languages, it just gets harder. It also seems that people putting out info on caves are not at all interested in reaching international audiences, i.e. tend to put out info in their own language alone. But, as i said, even that information tends to be marginal.

When i went to the Canary Island of La Gomera in 2009, i learned once i was there a lot of things about the island that are virtually impossible to find elsewhere, i.e. even online. So, as well based on that experience, i'm expecting to learn much much more about the caves once i get there.
Hey, this has basically been my life...; i go out with basically nothing but a gung-ho attitude and see where the chips fall... Sceptics say: "Don't you get sick of falling on your face?", but... ya don't make an omelot without breaking eggs and it is so convenient, lazy and facetious to sit back and watch others do the leg work, stretching boundaries, and then ridicule them for their suffering...

It will be a work of discovery and luck but, hey, what else is new?, right?
survival database

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: cave maps
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 05:40:48 PM »
Do you have map(s) of any of the caves you are considering?  [...]no doubt you're curious about the layout.
In my experience it is surprisingly difficult to get good data on caves, online at least. And for caves in countries with non-English languages, it just gets harder. It also seems that people putting out info on caves are not at all interested in reaching international audiences, i.e. tend to put out info in their own language alone. But, as i said, even that information tends to be marginal.

When i went to the Canary Island of La Gomera in 2009, i learned once i was there a lot of things about the island that are virtually impossible to find elsewhere, i.e. even online. So, as well based on that experience, i'm expecting to learn much much more about the caves once i get there.
Hey, this has basically been my life...; i go out with basically nothing but a gung-ho attitude and see where the chips fall... Sceptics say: "Don't you get sick of falling on your face?", but... ya don't make an omelot without breaking eggs and it is so convenient, lazy and facetious to sit back and watch others do the leg work, stretching boundaries, and then ridicule them for their suffering...

It will be a work of discovery and luck but, hey, what else is new?, right?
Only reason I asked is that I/we have friends who map caves around here, and even in other states, often for the U.S. Geological Survey or some other federal agency.  I wasn't aware of it, until I saw their names on one of our U.S.Forest Service maps, or maybe it was a USGS map.  Anyway, that's here in the states, and you know much more about the mapping over there. 
GOOD LUCK!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: political illusions...
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 11:56:37 PM »
In the 'sovereignty community' such deceit by means of hollow phrases is called "word of art".  Others might sometimes call it "Orwellian". Hence the link i supplied to the topic of sovereignty; in the end even survival is political...   :-X
(Or is it: "especially survival is political...?)

It's disgusting, it's unwelcome, it's unfair... but there it is.
See Travolta's Battlefield Earth...
(Hero of the movie is "Barry Pepper"; now why did i read "Very Prepper"... ?  ;D )

I'm a Pepper fan... but hadn't seen him in any recent movies...
Thanks for your post...

Movie trailer:
https://youtu.be/m0ppeYBqdGo

Wikipedia In 2015, Pepper appeared in The Maze Runner sequel, Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials, as Vince, "a survivalist who is one of the last remaining soldiers of a legendary unit called the Right Arm". Filming began at the end of October 2014, and the movie was released on September 18, 2015

Maze Runner: The Death Cure (also known simply as The Death Cure) is an upcoming American dystopian science-fiction action thriller film