Author Topic: Fencing for your survival site, some simple ideas  (Read 11721 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Fencing for your survival site, some simple ideas
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 07:56:53 PM »
Will do.  Razor wire is some tricky stuff Barb.  I don't know if you have had any experience with it or not but, I've seen Marines just walking along and get a little to close to a roll of razor wire and, next thing you know, they are completely entangled in it and have to be cut out of it.  Almost like the razor wire swallowed them or something.  I would have to get a trailer I think before I could entertain hauling rolls of it all the way to Texas.  Would be nice under the right circumstances though...

That sounds so hazardous. Well good luck selling it, U know what you are doing.  :)

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 08:46:51 PM »
Shame on me for laughing at the Marines who got tangled into it... We helped them, of course, but then we made fun of them again for doing it.  Boys never really grow up.
You have to let it all go Neo.  Fear, doubt, and disbelief...  Free your mind.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 12:46:26 PM »
Shame on me for laughing at the Marines who got tangled into it... We helped them, of course, but then we made fun of them again for doing it.  Boys never really grow up.

Ah - what wonderful comraderie.  ;D

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 12:52:53 PM »

Pleaching or plashing was common in gardens from the late-Middle Ages until the 18th century. This technique is a kind of weaving of the branches of deciduous trees or shrubs to form a living fence. Sometimes branches woven together grow together, a natural grafting known as inosculation. Sir Walter Scott brought the technique back to popularity in England when he described such a fence in The Fortunes of Nigel. (The above pic, shows a Pleached fence, kinda like a diamond espalier that you'd do with a fruit tree. And, you could...then you'd have a strong fence and, eventually a food source, too. Perfect example of Permaculture.)

Pleaching is the weaving or braiding of flexible branches or vines and also the placement of sticks/poles like you would see in vertical or horizontal Wattle fences. Where as Plashing is the slanting, partially-cut and bent trees as in Hedgerow Laying. Both can be quite impressive and depending on your use and expectations.

This is all new to me, thanks for posting..
So I looked up an image... Pleached fencing...
Then it's the plashing...

Survival101

• Lloyd Perry & Company
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 01:05:57 PM »

Yes, that's what I was trying to do & show...!!!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2013, 01:33:54 PM »

Yes, that's what I was trying to do & show...!!!

It popped up toward the top of google... :)

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2013, 12:44:56 PM »

Ah - what wonderful comraderie.  ;D

I will miss it so...  What other job in the world can you make fun of your "co-worker" for getting tangled up in a roll of razor wire...  plus about a 1000 other things I can think of.  I will miss it, no doubt.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, 06:06:42 AM »
Semper Fi.

Well our backfround is Navy but at least I know "Semper Fi." 
:)

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2013, 05:09:38 PM »
I stand up for "Anchors Away" the same as I do for "The Marines Hymn."  The Navy-Marine Corps team is not to be taken lightly.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 01:29:22 PM »
I stand up for "Anchors Away" the same as I do for "The Marines Hymn."  The Navy-Marine Corps team is not to be taken lightly.

:)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2013, 01:42:57 PM »

I have many articles and pic's, but I can't seem to load them on your format. People may easily Google, the terms and find a wealth of info on the 'Net'...just ask 'What is a Wattle fence', 'Pleaching', 'Plashing', 'Hedgerow Laying' and ask for pic's. You can find the 'where's & how-to's' and everything imaginable...

Well I just found an informative article to add to the collection...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2107511/The-home-guard-Police-suggest-30-thorny-bushes-homeowners-plant-discourage-lazy-garden-thieves.html

The home guard: Police suggest 30 thorny bushes homeowners could plant to discourage 'lazy' garden thieves

By Tom Gardner
UPDATED:06:02 EST, 28 February 2012

It seems when the thin blue line just isn't enough in the fight against crime, a prickly green one might be just the thing.

Police have begun issuing gardening tips to householders designed to help cut back burglary rates.
The Metropolitan Police guidelines on 'How to stop garden thieves' says  that people can 'make their home more secure' by planting giant rhubarb - which has 'abrasive foliage' - and 'spiny' gooseberry bushes.

The list of officially approved defensive plants also includes the fearsome sounding Firethorn.

The advice - which even gives the Latin name for the plants and bushes - states: ‘Your garden, as well as your house, has valued possessions that thieves would love to steal.

‘It also has equipment that could help them break into your house.

‘Most burglars are lazy. They look for easy ways of getting into a house or garden and by taking a few simple precautions you can reduce the risk of being burgled and make your house and garden more secure.’

It adds: ‘One of the best ways to keep thieves out is to use nature's own defence mechanisms to stop intruders.

‘A barrier of prickly hedge may be all the protection you need around your property.’

But the advice comes with a tongue in cheek warning: 'We have tried to identify the plants mentioned by their correct botanical name, but we cannot guarantee that the plant you buy will not grow into a small, fragrant flowering shrub with no more thorns than a daisy.’

It continues: ‘Although they will take some time to grow, the end result justifies the effort. They should deter even the most determined burglar.

‘Hedges and shrubs in the front garden should be kept to a height of no more than three feet in order to avoid giving a burglar a screen behind which he can conceal himself.’

One police officer said: ‘It's quite something when police start handing out gardening advice - and even giving the names of the plants in Latin.

‘If it helps prevent crime, then wonderful, but I can't help wondering how much time has been put into this.’

NATURE'S 30 BURGLAR PREVENTING PLANTS
Creeping Juniper - Juniperis horizontalis 'Wiltonii' - Also known as 'Blue Rug', has a thorny stem and foliage.

Blue spruce has dense, spiky needles

Blue Spruce - Picea pungens 'Globosa' - Rigid branches, irregular dense blue, spiky needles.

Common Holly - Ilex agulfolium - Large evergreen shrub, dark green spiked leaves.

Giant Rhubarb - Gunnera manicata - Giant rhubarb-like leaves on erect stems, abrasive foliage. Can grow up to 2.5m high. [ Yowbarb Note: I do not believe this would be much of a deterrent. ]

Golden Bamboo - Phyllostachys aurea- Very graceful, forming thick clumps of up to 3.5m high. Less invasive than other bamboos.

Chinese Jujube - Zizyphus sativa - Medium sized tree with very spiny pendulous branches.

Firethorn - Pyracantha 'Orange Glow' - Flowers white in June, with bright orange-red berries. Thorny stem.

Shrub Rose - Rosa 'Frau Dagmar Hastrup' - Excellent ground cover, pale pink flowers, very thorny stem. May to September.

Firethorn, or pyracantha, is a tough, very spiky ornamental evergreen shrub that has creamy-white flowers in spring

Pencil Christmas Tree - Picea abias 'Cupressina' - Medium-sized tree of columnar habit, with ascending spiky branches.

Juniper - Juniperus x media 'Old Gold' - Evergreen. Golden-tipped foliage. Prickly foliage.

Purple Berberis - Berberis thunbergil 'Atropurpurea'- Has a thorny stem.

Mountain Pine - Pinus mugo 'Mughus'- Is a very hardy, large shrub or small tree, with long sharp needles.

Blue Pine - Picea pungens 'Hoopsii'- Small to medium-sized tree, spiky needled stem, densely conical habit, with vividly glaucous blue leaves. Likes moist, rich soil.

Oleaster - Elaeagnus angustifolia - Small deciduous tree, about 4.5 to 6 m (15 to 20 feet) that is hardy, wind resistant, tolerant of poor, dry sites, and thus useful in windbreak hedges.

Blackthorn, or Prunus spinosa, is a native deciduous plant which makes a dense hedge with thick, long thorns

Blackthorn - Prunus spinosa - Also called Sloe; spiny shrub. Its dense growth makes it suitable for hedges.

Fuschia-flowered Gooseberry - Ribes speciosum - Fruit bush, spiny, produces greenish to greenish-pink flowers in clusters of two or three.

The following thorny plants can also be considered: Aralia, Chaenomeles, Colletia, Crataegus (including hawthorn/may), Hippophae (sea buckthorn), Maclura, Mahonia, Oplopanax, Osmanthus, Poncirus, Rhamnus, Rosa (climbing & shrub roses), Rubus (bramble), Smilax Prickly ash (Zanthoxylum).

« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 02:54:36 PM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2013, 03:00:01 PM »
Yowbarb Note: I edited my previous post. I put that the Oreastus is very poisonous...
I read it wrong I thought it was Oleander.
...................................................................................................
Oreastus aka Russian olive...
The fruits are edible and sweet, though with a dryish, mealy texture.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elaeagnus_angustifolia

Elaeagnus angustifolia, commonly called silver berry,[1] oleaster,[1] Russian olive,[1] or wild olive,[1] is a species of Elaeagnus, native to western and central Asia, from southern Russia and Kazakhstan to Turkey and Iran. It is now also widely established in North America as an introduced species.
Yowbarb Note: 

Nerium oleander  is poisonous. Different.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerium_oleander

Nerium oleander (pron.: /ˈnɪəriəm ˈoʊliː.ændər/)[2] is an evergreen shrub or small tree in the dogbane family Apocynaceae, toxic in all its parts. It is the only species currently classified in the genus Nerium. It is most commonly known as oleander, from its superficial resemblance to the unrelated olive Olea.[Note 1] It is so widely cultivated that no precise region of origin has been identified, though southwest Asia has been suggested. The ancient city of Volubilis in Morocco took its name from the old Latin name for the flower. Oleander is one of the most poisonous of commonly grown garden plants

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2015, 01:13:29 AM »
I intend to put a blackthorn hedgerows in my survival land... Prunus spinosa

I found a good little blog about where to order the plants and seeds in the US, the lovely edible flowers, sloe berries, gin and etc.

http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13190

ALSO: http://fruitandnuttrees.com/blackthorn-prunus-spinosa

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2015, 12:29:39 AM »
PS My idea of putting the blackthorn hedgerows is for certain areas. It would not be some impenetrable barrier to keep bad guys out, although it should definitely slow them down. This prickly thorn hedge should keep out a lot of predatory creatures of the four legged variety and some of the two legged variety.
What I would like to do is put it around areas where I have my home, dome, underground, whatever, and an enclosure where I could let cats and dogs out for awhile. A safe enough enclosure for a dairy cow, a goat, etc. maybe a chicken area. I would put a little gate between the home, pet area and the domestic animal area, most likely and it all enclosed with the hedgerow. Notice how dense and prickly it is at the bottom, especially.
The flowers seeds and berries are edible. People make jams and jellies, medicinal potions, etc. Must not be taken too much. Would need to do a proper study of it. It is medicinal but too much is not good... http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=prunus+spinosa

http://herbier.sesa-aude.fr/IMG/jpg/Prunus-spinosa-7265.jpg

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2015, 12:39:04 AM »
Yowbarb Note: PS Just a few excerpts from this page: See the live links on page, and more info on growing, etc. Medicinal info. This plant (seeds, flowrs and berries does contain a form of cyanide. Walnuts have it too. It is beneficial in small quantities. A lot of medicinal benefits.
Small amounts... I found some as a homeopathic. Again, this takes some research.

http://www.smallflower.com/prodimages/3476-DEFAULT-m.jpg
http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=prunus+spinosa

Habitats         
Woodland Garden Sunny Edge; Dappled Shade; Hedge; 

Edible Uses                                           
Edible Parts: Flowers;  Fruit;  Seed.
Edible Uses: Tea.

Fruit - raw or cooked[2, 5, 7, 11, 12, 13, 34]. Exceedingly astringent, it is normally cooked but once the fruit has been frosted it loses some of its astringency and some people find they can enjoy it raw[183, K]. The fruit is more usually used in jellies, syrups, conserves etc and as a flavouring for sloe gin and other liqueurs[183]. Some fruits that we ate in December were fairly pleasant raw[K]. In France the unripe fruit is pickled like an olive[183]. The fruit is about 15mm in diameter and contains one large seed[200]. Seed - raw or cooked. Do not eat the seed if it is too bitter - see the notes above on toxicity. The leaves are used as a tea substitute[7, 183]. The dried fruits can be added to herbal teas[183]. The flowers are edible and can be crystallised or sugared[183]. 

Medicinal Uses 

Plants For A Future can not take any responsibility for any adverse effects from the use of plants. Always seek advice from a professional before using a plant medicinally.
[See live links on page for explanations]

Antidiarrhoeal;  Antiflatulent;  Antispasmodic;  Aperient;  Astringent;  Depurative;  Diaphoretic;  Diuretic;  Febrifuge;  Laxative;  Stomachic.

The flowers, bark, leaves and fruits are aperient, astringent, depurative, diaphoretic, diuretic, febrifuge, laxative and stomachic[7, 9, 21]. An infusion of the flowers is used in the treatment of diarrhoea (especially for children), bladder and kidney disorders, stomach weakness et[9]. Although no specific mention has been seen for this species, all members of the genus contain amygdalin and prunasin, substances which break down in water to form hydrocyanic acid (cyanide or prussic acid). In small amounts this exceedingly poisonous compound stimulates respiration, improves digestion and gives a sense of well-being[238]. The German Commission E Monographs, a therapeutic guide to herbal medicine, approve Prunus spinosa Sloe - Blackthorn for inflammation of mouth and pharynx (see [302] for critics of commission E). 

Other Uses 
Cosmetic;  Dye;  Hedge;  Hedge;  Ink;  Pioneer;  Tannin;  Wood.

The bark is a good source of tannin[7]. It is used to make an ink[66]. The juice of unripe fruits is used as a laundry mark[66], it is almost indelible[115]. The pulped ripe fruit is used cosmetically in making astringent face-masks[7]. A green dye can be obtained from the leaves[168]. A dark grey to green dye can be obtained from the fruit[168]. The bark, boiled in an alkali, produces a yellow dye[66]. The sloe is very resistant to maritime exposure and also suckers freely. It can be used as a hedge in exposed maritime positions. The hedge is stock-proof if it is well maintained[1, 29], though it is rather bare in the winter and, unless the hedge is rather wide, it is not a very good shelter at this time[K]. Because of its suckering habit, the plant is a natural pioneer species, invading cultivated fields and creating conditions conducive to the regeneration of woodland. Wood - very hard. Used for turnery, the teeth of rakes etc[1, 13, 46, 66]. Suitable branches are used for making walking sticks and are highly valued for this purpose because of their twisted and interesting shapes[7].