Author Topic: Beekeeping in the Tribulation and Aftertimes  (Read 2947 times)

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: Bee suits...
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2017, 11:08:12 PM »
well they were white years ago
ROFL
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: Beekeeping in the Tribulation and Aftertimes
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2017, 11:44:11 PM »
it's too late this year to order and install bees, but am pondering building hive(s) and waiting to catch a swarm.
is it too late?
Seriously; i don't know enough about beekeeping to know.

I have ordered the book [i.e. Freeman's], for one, since all this 'tapping' and stuff indeed offends my sympathetic sensibilities [I mean, why can't we have honey without honoring the bees that produce it?].
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2017, 07:36:16 AM »
Do you think it's too late to "build it and they will come"?  IOW, it's too late this year to order and install bees, but am pondering building hive(s) and waiting to catch a swarm.

Ilinda,

There are summer bee colonies for sale, but the question is whether you can help them prepare their winter stores in time.  If you got them now, and pushed home-made feed in addition to whatever forage they will accumulate from autumn flowers, you could intervene until maybe Thanksgiving at the latest, choosing warm days on which to open the hive for any in-hive feedings.  Or you could do open field feeding, leaving syrup buckets a short distance from the hive, with the understanding that other critters will also have access. 

Patties may be better for cool/cold weather feeding, as bees must be out of their winter cluster to be able to fan syrup/nectar with their wings to dry and thicken it for storage.  So for autumn liquid feedings, you may want to switch to 1:1 or 2:1 sugar to water, rather than the less expensive 1:2 ratio.  Either way you'll probably want to keep the entrance reduced as narrow as possible to prevent robbing.

Am guessing you still have all of your old equipment on hand, so why not take the risk?

You're sort of near both the central and southeastern region of MO, right?.  Here's a link to contact info for 4 associations in your state's east central region: http://mostatebeekeepers.org/club-directory/wpbdp_category/east-central/

And here's a link to 5 associations in the southeast portion of MO: http://mostatebeekeepers.org/club-directory/wpbdp_category/southeast/

Surely someone would work with you :)

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2017, 06:43:55 PM »
it's too late this year to order and install bees, but am pondering building hive(s) and waiting to catch a swarm.
is it too late?
Seriously; i don't know enough about beekeeping to know.

I have ordered the book [i.e. Freeman's], for one, since all this 'tapping' and stuff indeed offends my sympathetic sensibilities [I mean, why can't we have honey without honoring the bees that produce it?].
The beekeepers I have talked to here and there usually tell me (each year) that I need to get my order in for bees by April (it seems that time, IIRC).  So, if you don't get your bees established early when the flowers are blooming, then they will have very little with which to make honey.  They don't make honey in the winter--that's when they eat it.

?Why can't we have honey without honoring the bees that produce it?  We can, but when one ponders all the community effort that goes into honey bee life, and the sacrifices they make, all the while we steal them blind half of the time, without even saying "thanks", it only makes sense (to me) to honor them.

Without Nature, none of us would be here.