Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: Websites, books and manuals on preparing herbal medicines  (Read 12539 times)

Linda

• Prolific Member
Re: Free online herbal recipes/post yours here too
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 02:22:27 PM »
I know chocolate is not necessarily a healing herb :o, But yesterday I made a chocolate torte for my daughters birthday gathering, served it with fresh strawberries, and by God we all thought we had a "healing" Yum! :D

Linda :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010, 12:10:27 PM »
Linda I found out a little while ago chocolate especially the very dark kind actually is a strong antioxidant and a small amount daily will lower blood pressure for a person who has that syndrome
 (pudgy bp going high etc.) I actually tried a before and after blood pressure measuring experiement on someone and it brought her bp down 6 points. She wouldn't go to the doc just then anyway, so I had her eat just the one square of chocolate. The good choc bars have squares - about 4-6.
I never knew that until I was reading some of my mother's nutritional articles and mailings. Doc Weil of Arizona had sent her an article about chocolate and blood pressure. Article said it is a medicine but if you take more it loses its effectiveness, so just the good sized bite a day is healing.
Also (I know coffee is controversial) but I read the aroma of strong freshly brewed coffee is very healing and stimulates the immune system.
The coffee itself is a strong antioxidant. So that's not all bad, either.
I am soo glad I don't think I could survive without coffee and chocolate.

8)     8)       8)

Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 12:13:24 PM »
I know chocolate is not necessarily a healing herb :o, But yesterday I made a chocolate torte for my daughters birthday gathering, served it with fresh strawberries, and by God we all thought we had a "healing" Yum! :D

Yes, yumm!
My daughters got me a bouquet of fresh fruit dipped in chocolate delivered to me on my Birthday.
Not much to complain about there..  :D

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2010, 12:24:26 PM »
I know what you mean about coffee, gotta have my morning cup! And I try to keep a chocolate bar around.
But I am not a chocolate craver for the most part, but do enjoy it!

Linda
 8) 8) 8)

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2010, 04:28:02 PM »
Yowbarb and Linda I know what you mean about coffee we have put a few dozen large cans of Tim Horton's away and rotate them even after a few years they still taste fine to me but I am not that picky I will drink six hour old cold coffee. if you store coffee buy cans not the Eco friendly bags they do not last more then a month or two then they get stale. as far as chocolate I can eat it but do not like it that much or cherry, pineapple, just sweets in general but I like sugar I am odd that way, but if it is good for us I could eat a piece now and then. Also I know it is bad for us but I put away a large case of non dairy creamer and 50 gallons of sugar.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2010, 11:30:29 PM »
I know what you mean about coffee, gotta have my morning cup! And I try to keep a chocolate bar around.
But I am not a chocolate craver for the most part, but do enjoy it!

Linda
 8) 8) 8)

That's good you are not craving it it can be addicting and best in small amounts as a
medicine except for the occasional splurge...
Not having cravings is a sign of pretty good health...

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2010, 11:34:24 PM »
Yowbarb and Linda I know what you mean about coffee we have put a few dozen large cans of Tim Horton's away and rotate them even after a few years they still taste fine to me but I am not that picky I will drink six hour old cold coffee. if you store coffee buy cans not the Eco friendly bags they do not last more then a month or two then they get stale. as far as chocolate I can eat it but do not like it that much or cherry, pineapple, just sweets in general but I like sugar I am odd that way, but if it is good for us I could eat a piece now and then. Also I know it is bad for us but I put away a large case of non dairy creamer and 50 gallons of sugar.

I can relate
although I like to grind my own and like it fresh I learned early on I can drink it hot or cold or black... it just tastes good to me I had only instant for years... not really that picky...
I would say quantity very important in the future... and I don't think sugar is that bad...
 ;) Yowbarb

Linda

• Prolific Member
Re: Various sites with medicinal herbs, etc.
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2010, 04:35:02 PM »
Arnica Oil

Arnica is a perennial plant native to the mountains of Siberia and Europe. Arnica grows 1 to 2 feet tall with bright green leaves and yellow-orange flowers---similar to daisies in appearance. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, arnica has been used to soothe muscle aches, reduce inflammation and heal wounds since the 1500s. Applied topically as a cream, ointment, or salve, homeopathic arnica is safe to use. Arnica taken orally can cause serious side effects. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, arnica shouldn't be used internally without direct medical supervision.

Buy and use only homeopathic arnica ointments or tinctures. According to Dr. Lauri Grossman, homeopathic arnica restores health with no side effects and is safe for children, adults, pregnant women and seniors. Arnica that is labeled "homeopathic arnica" means the manufacturer is following pharmaceutical guidelines when producing herbal medicine. Dr. Grossman warns against using nonhomeopathic herbal preparations or homemade brews of arnica; they could cause dizziness, diarrhea, irregular heartbeat and even death.

Apply homeopathic arnica ointment, salve or cream topically to treat bruises, sprains, muscle aches, burns, arthritis pain, inflammation, insect bites and swelling. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, even though homeopathic arnica is safe when used topically, you should still follow dosage instructions on the product label. Don't use arnica on open wounds or skin ulcers.

Speed up healing. Following accidents, surgery or sports-related injuries, use homeopathic arnica to relieve soreness, bruising, swelling and pain. According to Dr. Lauri Grossman, hospital physicians are using arnica to speed up recovery for patients after a traumatic injury.

I use Arnica Oil Blend for muscle pain and when my lower back is bothering me, works great!
The blend I use has Arnica, Indian Tobacco, Rosemary, Wintergreen oil and Peanut oil.

Yooptrooper

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2010, 08:33:47 AM »
OneStopPoppyShoppe.com is one of many sites that sells a variety of poppy seeds, including the genus "papaver somniferum" which contains the alkaloid chemical responsible for strong pain relief.  ;)  Many websites give pointers on the growth and processing of this plant for medicinal uses.  Back in the day, it was sold over the counter in an alcohol-based tincture called "Paregoric".  If it didn't cure you, it would at least shut you up for a while. :D  It is legal to buy and sell the seeds, and as long as you are not growing ten acres of them, it is just another pretty flower in your garden...

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2010, 02:19:12 PM »
OneStopPoppyShoppe.com is one of many sites that sells a variety of poppy seeds, including the genus "papaver somniferum" which contains the alkaloid chemical responsible for strong pain relief.  ;)  Many websites give pointers on the growth and processing of this plant for medicinal uses.  Back in the day, it was sold over the counter in an alcohol-based tincture called "Paregoric".  If it didn't cure you, it would at least shut you up for a while. :D  It is legal to buy and sell the seeds, and as long as you are not growing ten acres of them, it is just another pretty flower in your garden...

Yooptrooper thanks for the idea on this. I am sure poppy with its pain killing properties will be
needed sometime down the road...
Will be looking up how to prepare it  -may post that here.
All The Best,
Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2010, 02:28:58 PM »
Linda and All
I looked up Olive Leaf and found this wikipedia article...
it sounds like a very ancient and a very powerful plant which used by the right person for the
right condition will really help and no doubt it would save lives during the Crossover and in the Aftertime.
There are a couple of contraindications, as there probably are with any herb or medicine of any kind.
Persons with low blood pressure diabetes and a couple other conditions would need to use caution or perhaps not take...
Posting the article below, Yowbarb
==========================================================================
Olive leaf
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive_leaf

Image on page: Olive Tree Leaves: Top side and Under side 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Olive-tree-leaf-0.jpg

Olive leaf is the leaf of the olive tree (Olea europaea). While olive oil is well known for its flavor and health benefits, the leaf has been used medicinally in various times and places. Natural olive leaf and olive leaf extracts (OLE), are now marketed as anti-aging, immunostimulators, and even antibiotics. Clinical evidence has proven the blood pressure lowering effects of carefully extracted olive leaf extracts.[1][2][3][4] Bioassays support its antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory effects at a laboratory level. A liquid extract made directly from fresh olive leaves recently gained international attention when it was shown to have an antioxidant capacity almost double green tea extract and 400% higher than vitamin C.[5]
History
Recorded evidence of olive leaf's medicinal use dates back thousands of years: it was used by ancient Egyptian and Mediterranean cultures to treat a variety of health conditions.
Active compounds
The primary medical constituents contained in unprocessed olive leaf is believed to be the antioxidants oleuropein and hydroxytyrosol, as well as several other polyphenols and flavonoids, including oleocanthal.
Nutritional and medicinal uses

Olive leaf and extracts are used in the complementary and alternative medicine community for the ability to act as a natural pathogens killer by inhibiting the replication process of many pathogens.[citation needed]

Olive leaf is commonly used to fight colds and flu, yeast infections, and viral infections such as the hard-to-treat Epstein-Barr disease, shingles and herpes.

Olive leaf is also good for the heart. Olive leaf has been shown to reduce low-density lipoproteins (LDL), or bad cholesterol. Researchers[1][2][3][4] have found that olive leaf lowers blood pressure and increases blood flow by relaxing the arteries.[4]

Olive leaf harbours antioxidant properties that help protect the body from the continuous activity of free radicals.[2][5][6][7][8][9][10] Free radicals are highly reactive chemical substances that, when oxidized, can cause cellular damage if left unchecked. Some recent research on the olive leaf has shown its antioxidants to be effective in treating some tumors and cancers such as liver, prostate, and breast cancer but the research on this is preliminary.[11][12]
Olive leaf can be taken as a liquid concentrate, dried leaf tea, powder, or capsule. The leaf extracts can be taken in powder, liquid concentrate, or capsule form though the fresh-picked leaf liquid extracts are quickly gaining popularity due to the broader range of healing compounds they contain.
Side effects
The extract can lower blood pressure and blood glucose. This may be undesirable if the user already has a low blood pressure and glucose level. Sufferers of low blood pressure and diabetes are particularly at risk. Interactions with pharmaceutical drugs which force the body to lower its blood pressure and glucose level may be dangerous.[13]

Soaps and cosmetics
Olive leaf extracts are combined with olive oil in soaps and skin creams for application to the skin or other body surfaces.

References

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2010, 02:31:28 PM »
Interesting Barb, Olive Leaf is what I have on hand to use for flu or any virus during the winter time. It was recommended by a herbalist :)

Linda.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2010, 02:41:44 PM »
Linda that's great,
I got the idea from you  8)
Question: What form did you take it in?
Do a lot of health food stores have it?
- Yowbarb

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2010, 02:49:18 PM »
I thought I posted it before, now if I could improve my memory! ;D

I take it as a herbal tincture but you can get capsules and tea, sold as most health food stores and online.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2010, 07:26:22 PM »
I thought I posted it before, now if I could improve my memory! ;D

I take it as a herbal tincture but you can get capsules and tea, sold as most health food stores and online.

Linda you probably did post it before.
The herbal tincture is probably strongest?
Yowbarb

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!