Bob E. (bk) > Planet X Hitchhiker's Guide to Internet Survival Sites

What to Do With Your Storage Foods

(1/1)

svisioner:
    What to Do With Your Storage Foods

NOTE: In ingredient lists, where I left out amounts, it’s up to you and your taste!

Wheat Berries

Wheat berries are just the whole grains of wheat. They contain the bran and germ that are the most nutritionally valuable part of the wheat, and they are taken away to make white flour. If I have to use some white flour (to make something a bit lighter or because I’ve been too lazy to grind some whole wheat flour), I at least use unbleached. I like to think is has a bit more nutritional value than bleached flour. Soothes my conscience!

Grinding/grain mills

We have a "basics" grain mill. It has a rather small burr and takes a long time to grind any volume of flour, but it does grind rather fine (makes a nice whole wheat pastry/bread flour) and it’s held up for a good couple of years now.

We also have a mill that only ginds coursely, which we use to crack wheat into cereal. This breaks it up enough to allow it to cook easily, but retains enough of the "roughage/fiber" to aid good health.

Cracked wheat – cereal

The ratio of water to cracked wheat is 3:1. One cup of cracked wheat needs 3 cups of water to cook.

2 C. Cracked Wheat

6 C. Water

Salt to taste (optional)

Bring the water to a boil (salted if you like), and add the cracked wheat. Stir until the white foam disappears from the top, then cook (still stirring) until it is the thickness you like. We sprinkle a little sugar or syrup on it when we serve it. Makes a great breakfast for 3-4 people.

Pancakes

4 C. Flour (If you use white flour, add about ½ c cracked wheat)

2 Tbs. Baking Powder

1 Tbs. Salt

1 Tbs. Sugar

¼ C. Oil

1-2 Eggs

Water

Heat your griddle or pan to the point where it will begin to smoke while you prepare the batter.

Mix together the dry ingredients. Add the oil, egg(s) and enough water to form a batter (up to you how thin or thick you like it).

Put a small amount of oil on your griddle or pan, then use about ½ c batter per pancake. Leave it alone until you see bubbles breaking on the top surface and the edges begin to dry. Then flip it and cook till done.

Biscuits

4 C. Flour (If you use white flour, add about ½ c cracked wheat)

2 Tbs. Baking Powder

1 Tbs. Salt

1 Tbs. Sugar

¼ C. Oil

Water

This is very much like the pancake recipe, except for the eggs and the amount of water. Instead of a batter, use enough water to form a soft dough. I drop the busicuits by spoonfulls onto a baking sheet and put them into a hot oven (around 400 degrees). I turn them (turn the whole baking sheet) about every 5 minutes or so, until the tops are well browned. Makes about a dozen biscuits.

Chicken in a Biscuit

1-1/2 C. Canned (or fresh cooked) chicken meat, shredded

2 Tbs. Hydrated Vegetable Soup Blend (just put 2 Tbs. Veggies into enough water to cover, then wait till they abosorb the water.)

Salt, Pepper and Dill to taste.

Biscuit recipe (above), but add 1-2 eggs

Mix chicken, vegies and seasonings. Drop some of the dough onto a baking sheet, flatten it out with two spoons. Add some chicken mixture to about ¼" from the edges and cover with another layer of biscuit dough. Depending on how big you make them, should make about 6 big biscuits. Bake as above. Makes a great lunch, sort of a healthier "hot pocket".

Loaf Bread

I love this recipe. I got it from the Woodstove Cookery book by Jane Cooper. You can use 100% whole wheat flour, 100% white flour (when I use white flour I add ½ C. cracked wheat), or a combination of whole and white. You can add flavorings like Italian seasonings, dill, garlic, hydrated onion flakes or whatever you like – but it’s good plain, too. I use 3 Tbs. of yeast, because I am at 8000’ above sea level. Adjust this for your altitude…you may need less.

¾ C. Sugar

3 C. Hot water (about 120 degrees)

3 Tbs. Dry Yeast

1 Tbs. Salt

¼ C. Oil

5 C. Flour

2 C. Flour (more or less for your location)

Place the sugar in a big bowl. I add the 3 C. of boiling water to this, then stir it until the temperature is correct. I use an instant meat thermometer to measure the water temp. Add the yeast, then stir gently, just to wet the yeast. Then, walk away. Give the yeast a good 10 minutes to "proof", that is, get foamy. If it’s a little longer than 10 minutes, that’s ok, too.

Next add the salt and oil and any flavorings you choose You can even add some re-hydrated vegetable soup blend. Add the 5 C. of flour. (If you are using white wheat and want to add cracked wheat, use ½ C. of cracked wheat and 4-1/2 C. white flour.) Stir until mixed, then stir for about 5 minutes (less for white wheat) until the mixture gets smooth. With this step you are pre-developing the gluten, so that you don’t have to knead it as long.

Add 1 to 2 cups more flour, until a dough ball begins to form. Then turn out onto a floured board or countertop, and knead, absorbing more flour, about a ¼ C. at a time. Knead and flour dough until it is smooth, elastic and not sticky. It will still be a slightly soft dough, not too dry.

Place into a large, oiled bowl. Place in upsidedown, then turn so that the whole surface gets oiled. Cover with a dishcloth and allow to rise in a warm, draft-free place, until at least doubled in size.

When the dough has risen, beat the dough with your fist to remove the air ("puching it down"). Then divide in two and roll each half out with a rolling pin (a piece of PVC pipe works, too) to remove as much air as you can, but not so thin that you can’t work with it. Then roll this (jellyroll style) into a loaf*.

Place the rolls into two oiled loaf pans, again, turning to oil all sides and top. Let rise until the loaves come up to about 1" over the top of the pan. Bake at about 400 degrees. I set a timer every 15 minutes to turn the loaves for more even cooking. After 45 minutes, I check for doneness. This means taking a loaf out of the pan to see if the bottom crust has browned and it if feels springy or doughy when I tap the bottom crust. It should be springy and golden brown. If it’s not ready, I give it another 10 minutes before testing again. You will have to learn to judge your bread’s cooking time on your own.

Like I mentioned in the woodstove cooking section, no matter what I do, The tops of my crusts burn. I do the best I can.

*If you want to add something like raisins and cinnamon or sliced hot chiles, this is the time to do it. Just place them on the top of the rolled dough, then roll into the loaf.

Pita (Pocket) Bread

Pocket bread is easier to make than you’d think. It requires a very hot oven, at least 425 degrees, to as much as 475 degrees to make the pockets form, however, if you don’t get great pockets, you still get great tasting bread!

2 C. Flour

1 Tbs. Salt

1 Tbs. Yeast

2 C. Hot Water (120 degrees)

Flavorings as You Like

Flour for kneading

Pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees to 475 degrees. Depending on the size of your oven, you might use a pizza stone, bricks or other heat –holding surface, which need to be slowly heated along with your oven. You can also do this on a baking sheet.

Place flour (you can use any combination of whole and white wheat you like, even all whole wheat), salt, yeast and flavorings (I like dill and dehydrated onions the best) and mix. Add the 2 C. of water (make sure it’s at 120 degrees) and mix till smooth. Add some flour until a dough ball starts to form, then knead and add flour until you have a smooth, elastic dough, slightly soft.

Place into large, lightly oiled bowl, cover with a dishcloth and allow to rise until at least doubled.

After the dough has risen, punch it down and let rise a second time. Punch down again and divide into 12 pieces. Cover these with a dish towel while you are working so they don’t dry out. Depending on the size of your oven and baking surface, take 2 or 3 pieces of the divided dough and roll each out into a circle, about 6" in diameter. Use plenty of flour while you roll these out – it will keep them from sticking in the oven. Place the rolled pieces onto the baking surface and check at about 2-1/2 to 3 minutes. At this point, they will be puffed into pockets, if they are going to do that at all. Puffed or not, flip them and cook another 2-1/2 to 3 minutes. I like to roll the next batch during the second half of the cooking. During the first half of the cooking, I’m usually stuffing the fire box in the wood stove. It’s important to keep the heat up while you are making these.

I usually make a double batch (24) of these when I make them, because half of them get eaten up before I get the next batch out of the oven!

Cooking Brown Rice

I use organic, SHORT grain brown rice. It cooks easier than long grain, and requires no soaking. But it still has all the nutritional benefit that brown rice naturally does.

The water to rice ratio is 2:1. Two cups of rice needs 4 cups of water to cook. I heat my cast iron rice pot while I measure the rice and water. I add salt and pepper to the measured rice, then put it in the hot pan (no oil necessary) just to toast a bit. Then I add the 4 cups of water, cover it, and set the timer on 50 minutes. I generally cook it on a high heat, even letting it boil over a bit. After 50 minutes, I check to see if the water on the bottom of the pan has dried out, been absorbed really. If so, I remove the pot from the heat and leave it uncovered for 10 minutes. If it’s still soggy, I check it every 5 minutes or so till it’s dried and I can move and uncover it. After that 10 minutes I fluff it (brining any last soggy rice to the top) and cover it till I’m ready to use it. Simple!

Easy and Delicious Vegetable Soup

6 – 8 C. Water

Approx ½ C. Vegetable Soup Blend (Dehydrated Vegetables)

Dill (or other herb to taste)

Salt & Pepper to Taste

Add all ingredients and bring to a boil. Cook until vegetables are done.

Sometimes I add a bit of tomato powder to give it a bit more richness. Sometimes I add egg drops. Scramble egss with a bit of flour, then stream into soup. Let cook a minute or two before stirring. Sometimes I add uncooked egg noodles and let them cook in the soup (after the soup is done). The only problem with this is that it won’t take long for the noodles to get too mushy. So, as you see, this is something you can eat plain or experiment on your own. Very nutritious!

Spaghetti Sauce

Fresh Onions or Re-Hydrated Onion Flakes

Italian Herbs

Olive Oil

Chopped Garlic or Garlic Powder

Salt & Pepper

Wine or Wine Vinegar

Tomato Powder

Water

These are the ingredients, but the amounts are up to you!

Put some olive oil in a heated pot. Add the spices and herbs and allow to cook, but not burn. Add about 1 C. of wine or wine vinegar and cook until you don’t smell the strong alcohol fumes. Add about ¾ C. tomato powder and cook to form a thick paste (add a little water here if you need to). Add just enough water to make a meduim-thin sauce, then cook slowly to reduce to the consistancy you like.

Lentil Chili

2 C. Uncooked Lentils

Chili Powder

1 – 2 Cans of Chiles or some Fresh Chiles

Salt

Pepper

Garic Powder

Cumin

Tomato Powder

4-6 C. Water

Mix all ingredients and bring to a boil. Cook until lentils are soft and chili is as thick as you like it.

Got your own favorite recipe?  Share it with others here!

Your Name

Your EMail

Recipe Name

Recipe

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version