Author Topic: Living a simpler lifestyle, on your land, miscellaneous ideas  (Read 5377 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
Living a simpler lifestyle, on your land, miscellaneous ideas
« on: October 17, 2010, 04:46:13 PM »
Members please post here your ideas, opinions, experiences on living a simpler
lifestyle on your land.

Here is one site I just came across:

http://homestead.org/   Homestead.org

There is a Homesteading forum there...
Not totally sure about land sites available...
Yowbarb
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 03:23:32 PM by Yowbarb »

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • View Profile
Re: Living a simpler lifestyle, on your land, miscellaneous ideas
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 08:55:18 AM »
As I remember reading a year or two ago, the US government homesteading activity finished several decades ago.  My father was one of the last to homestead a property in the late 1930s.  Google "homesteading act" or something similar.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 11:51:51 AM »
As I remember reading a year or two ago, the US government homesteading activity finished several decades ago.  My father was one of the last to homestead a property in the late 1930s.  Google "homesteading act" or something similar.

Jim I was afraid of that. Will look into it more, oh well.
If anyone knows of any last vestiges, good.
BTW my grandmother homesteaded 800 acres, seven miles in from Granby, Colorado.
All she had to do in the early 1930s was build a log cabin and an outhouse, which she did on her own with the help of one son. My father probably helped too but he was working his way through college at the time...
Grandma was from Missouri. They didn't have a nickel she raised five kids on her own, ran a college rooming house and did domestic work too. Land was at least 8,000 feet elevation.  Grandma Vina was quite a gal. She camped up there by herself up until age eighty. Lived past 94. We kept her old camping spot under a tree, a tripod and her old pots there, like a shrine. For years I argued to keep the land. For awhile it was a type of nature conservancy so we didn't have to pay taxes...
In the early days, all we had was an outdoor brick oven, a campfire and tents and gas coleman lanterns and a "hogan"- type outhouse. Eventually we built an outhouse in 1957 and I painted a name on the side: Hernando's Hideaway.
Then we got fancy and had a trailer along with the tents - eventually an A - frame cabin we all helped build.
It was decided finally to sell it off it was split about six ways.
Was thinking that could have been a survival spot but I came to the conclusion after awhile it could be a "mountain building" area during the crossover of Planet X; and also with the lightning strikes and meteorites, and tall timber, the wildfires would just burn forever there...
I pretty well decided on land that didn't have so much timber on it.
It really is gloriously beautiful up there...  and will be again, in the Aftertime. - Yowbarb

This is near our land

http://www.adventuresofkitty.com/800x600/granby/03.granby.jpg

« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 08:19:31 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 12:10:41 PM »
Answer.com
Can you homestead a piece of land in Canada?In: Canada

OFAC Compliance
From the leaders in fuzzy, multi-cultural name matching
www.intelligentsearch.com

[Improve] 
you cannot homestead Crown land in Canada, since the dominion lands act is no longer law. you can obtain crown land at market rates by purchasing it from the government, but it is not an easy process. there is some very cheap land in some counties that can be purchased for next to nothing with conditions that you must build a home or be a permanent resident. there is other land that is simply very affordable, with no restrictions.

there is a lot of land in canada, and consequently, some of the more remote land is very cheap. You can purchase land at prices that might as well be homesteaded, but you can not get land for free anymore, on the promise of improving it. Note: There are comments associated with this question. See the discussion page to add to the conversation.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_homestead_a_piece_of_land_in_Canada

« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 03:24:26 PM by Yowbarb »

Alfred Williams

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 04:46:57 PM »
We put in for homestead after my father died in 94 and had no problem however this land was all my Grandfathers at one time so I am not sure about new land being homesteaded
It is not what you know.
It is what you do with what you know!!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 08:21:08 AM »
We put in for homestead after my father died in 94 and had no problem however this land was all my Grandfathers at one time so I am not sure about new land being homesteaded

Mynymn I am really glad you were able to get that land back.
 :D Well done,
Yowbarb

augonit

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 10:14:17 AM »
Well, I hope homesteading comes back!  I've already decided where I'm putting my fences up!  ;)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 01:10:11 PM »
Well, I hope homesteading comes back!  I've already decided where I'm putting my fences up!  ;)

Good luck with your land venture...
 ;)

ASEEKERTOO

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 01:33:09 PM »
The Federal Land Policy and Management Act of 1976 ended homesteading; the government believing that the best use of public lands was for them to remain in government control. The only exception to this new policy was Alaska, for which the law allowed homesteading until 1986.
"The last claim under the Homestead Act was made by Kenneth Deardorff for 80 acres of land on the Stony River in south-western Alaska. He fulfilled all requirements of the Homestead Act in 1979, but he did not actually receive his patent until May 1988. Therefore, he is the very last person to receive the title to land claimed under the provisions of the Homestead Act.
Homestead farmers, who claimed some 270 million acres over the years, became the agricultural producers to the nation as a whole. Additionally, strong communities with a commitment to social values, education, and personal responsibility were spawned throughout the territories covered by the Homestead lands.
The economic, agricultural, and social stability generated by the Homestead Act was utterly inconceivable in other times and places -- and formed a large part of the foundation of American prosperity in the 20th century."

Alaska: 2011
http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/landsale/index.htm
From the gist of it; one can purchase land in a subdivision type situation at a very low cost. Or, homestead options are available in
Remote areas of Alaska as Recreational land ownership only......

And then this short article at this website.
http://modernhomesteadingtoday.com/index.html

Ancient Prophecy appears to be fulfilled in the Nightly News.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 02:03:03 PM »
AseekerToo, thanks,
Yowbarb
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 08:51:55 PM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 10:24:35 AM »
BTW to my knowledge no way to homestead land... will post here any little tricks I find on how
to occupy land or get a plot of it for not much money...
We also have the Topic, Survival Land which does have some links for land sales and
some ideas, such as ebay land auctions.

Here is the link:
http://planetxtownhall.com/index.php?topic=1102.60

All The Best of Luck,
Barbara Lou Townsend
Topic Administrator

errrv

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 12:33:11 PM »
It's not homesteading, but you can do a mining claim in some states for very little dinero. Look at Terrypats topic in my section.
Erv

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 03:25:35 PM »
It's not homesteading, but you can do a mining claim in some states for very little dinero. Look at Terrypats topic in my section.
Erv

Erv thanks for the reminder on that...

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 08:44:57 AM »
Just some miscellaneous ideas. Will be posting more.
Some of these concepts are already to be found in other Topics on home food production, etc.
I would raise chickens, for the eggs, occasional use of the meat but mainly letting the flock grow. Live fertile hens
and the eggs would be an excellent tradeable commodity in the Aftertime.
I would have a couple of shelters for domestic animals, something I could get them into in a hurry.
One new idea I just had:  Have the underground -  or partly underground shelter set in right next to the chicken coops.
The same thing would go for any horses, goats or other domestic animals we would have.
More details will be posted in my Topic, Keeping your pets and domestic animals safe during cataclysms
http://planetxtownhall.com/index.php?topic=2970.0

- Yowbarb

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!