Author Topic: Living a simpler lifestyle, on your land, miscellaneous ideas  (Read 10313 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Living a simpler lifestyle, on your land, miscellaneous ideas
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 01:53:36 PM »
Just a quick note on the first couple of actions I would take if I got the land:
1) Plug someone into the land - someone who has time on their hands and willing to live on it, who will be a member of your survival group. Someone (or a couple or small group) you can trust.

2) Have this person (people) start out by putting down a simple gravel road from the highway back into a more private area so everyone cannot see what is going on. Ideally some trees on the highway side of the property.

3) Digging a few holes and creating a makeshift area to hide supplies in.  Buried used refrigerator or freezers would do for a start. A complete underground concrete shelter is the idea, with a lid and camouflaged but in the meantime someone rigs up some underground storage.

3) Set down some concrete slabs, the bottom of which has some rebar down into the ground for more stability. Set into the wet concrete two hooks. When dry: Steel cable and a lock/unlock feature to secure vans, camper in case wind hits suddenly while construction is going on. Helps stabilize the vehicles.
4) Same concept with outdoor animal pens. Both domestic animals and pets will have to be secured in pens until something more permanent is created.

Best to get them in at least a partial underground asap.
Someone has to be in charge of making sure all critters are fed and safe.
Steel containers are sort of hard to haul up into these places but a few of those would provide some underground shelter for trees, plants, seeds, supplies, fertilizer, farm implements. One could be for domestic animals like a portable chicken coop could be wheeled down a ramp into the bunker if it gets windy or other kind of an emergency. A divided area so pets could go there too.

If there is no money for a reinforced geodesic dome or underground shelter set in, there at least has to be a steel container buried to shelter the humans.
Well these are some ideas.

I wouldn't tell anybody where your shelter is unless it is a close friend or family you expect to join you.

If you and your group do have the funds, there are companies claim to be very discreet; they come in and for all the neighbors know they are setting in a pool or something. (Even better if no one can see the project from the road.) They claim to be able to set down an underground shelter in a matter of  days. I posted the name of a couple of companies in the Underground shelter and bunkers topic.
More ideas later,
yowbarb

« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 03:05:10 PM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2012, 03:02:45 PM »
BTW if all a person can do is bury an schoolbus and some old vans to shelter their group and their animals, well that is a whole lot better than being up on the surface if major earth changes hit. We cannot be so sure what will happen but one thing has been predicted for a long time very high winds perhaps 200 mph all over the planet. There could likely be either torrential rains or fires from big lightning strikes meteorites etc.
Some care must be taken to create some sort of air pipe. With a manual mechanism to open close it from underground. Like a metal rod inside the pipe. Also, far better to set the buses or vans down onto a reinforced concrete pad with concrete all around and on top.
There has to be some sort of door and a tool to get the door open once earth changes have settled down a bit so people can get out. In case earth has jammed up against the door.
Best to not be on some river flood plain of course and if you can figure out where the normal path of a creek flash flood would be, plan your shelters up higher than that. Even a few feet high could make a difference. Whatever piece of land as to have a section higher up. It goes without saying you don't want to be anywhere near a coastline.
In the previous post I mentioned steel cabling the vehicles and campers, etc. what I would do it cable them, wrap them up with tarp; spray flame retardant on them. I realize that may ot protect them enough... Ideally you would have some underground steel container to set down with a ramp and drive the vehicles down in on a slight incline. You might need a winch to get some of them back up but it's better than having them burn all up in a forest fire.

Have gasoline and propane stored safely and (separately) underground away from people. Under concrete. It is possible that any person animal or object on the surface will perish in some places on earth so no point in taking chances. Figure out a way to get land and get underground.
 - Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2012, 03:15:18 PM »
I had said quite a lot about the necessity of going underground. I realize not everyone will want to do that.
All the ideas I did post will be applicable for storage of food and other goods, fuel, seeds and plants, farm tools and equipment, vehicles. Also shelter for domestic animals and pets.
If for some reason you do not feel good about trying to live underground there are always domes. Domes can withstand up to 225 mph. I believe they could withstand more if they have hardly any window openings at all, a hatch on top instead of a door, and they are partially buried. Very small windows, set in, heavy thick plastic.
More later.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 04:35:14 PM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2012, 04:27:15 PM »
Some of what I had posted belongs in bugout site type of topics. however there is an overlap...
First the land then a way to secure things which will be needed for the simpler lifestyle, then - 
hopefully - it will be possible to go ahead and live that simpler lifestyle, either before or after a cataclysm.
The idea is to get things set up so you have chickens at least, and seeds for a garden, food,
supplies and lots of water.
For the new Members. We do have separate Topics for food cultivating, seeds chickens and so on.
We have a couple of different topic on survival lists. One is a bartering list. Msg me (or any Mod or admin) if you have any
difficulty finding something.
All The Best, in finding out what you will need to survive.
Looking forward to your contributions and ideas, too. 
- Yowbarb

http://www.survivalguidance.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/survival-gardening.jpg

http://www.survivalguidance.com/introduction-to-survival-gardening/

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2012, 02:50:45 PM »
How to build a Landless Garden: A Garden in a Potato Sack! 14:41

VIDEO LINK: http://youtu.be/ZxDD2FYviho

Uploaded by landlessgarden on May 12, 2011

A Landless Garden is an urban gardening method: materials are cheap, it takes up only 2 sq ft of space, and it can be placed anywhere there is a little sunshine- porches, stoops, and even parking spots. You can grow a variety of vegetables including lettuces, chards, kale, cherry tomatoes, finger eggplants and herbs. You will need a burlap bag, soil, 4 support sticks, 2-3 gallons of gravel and a 2 liter bottle. Check out
www.landlessgarden.org for more info
...............................................................................................
Planting a Bag Garden for Quick Temporary Production   11:32

VIDEO LINK:  http://youtu.be/RL9ks3xw-E0

Uploaded by survivalpodcasting on Jul 25, 2011
Sometimes you have a situation were you don't have time to dig a bed. Sometimes the spring passes before you can't get planting. In our situation we have all that and more.

We didn't get our moved accomplished until June, then I had to leave for two weeks to enjoy a promised vacaiton with the most supportive and understanding wife in the world. So I found myself in late June with nothing planted, the solution a bag garden.

Basically I took the absolute worst spot on my land soil wise and laid out some bags of top soil, built a trellis with some existing pines and planted some fast growing summer crops.

The goal is simply to provide us with some production while we spend the rest of the summer doing soil improvements for fall gardening. The video below is the results after about 4-5 weeks of growth.

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2012, 05:35:45 PM »
I was thinking about cellar houses the other day.  In the old, old days, people dug out a cellar space into a hill to store their food for the winter.  But, today, most people don't have a hill or the space to built their own hill for this.  So I thought about burying metal garbage cans as mini cellars and seeing if that might be a good alternative.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2012, 11:27:28 PM »
I was thinking about cellar houses the other day.  In the old, old days, people dug out a cellar space into a hill to store their food for the winter.  But, today, most people don't have a hill or the space to built their own hill for this.  So I thought about burying metal garbage cans as mini cellars and seeing if that might be a good alternative.

Steedy, you may be onto something there.have an idea, there.
Anyway I just looked up some methods, similar...
Yowbarb

eHow 
http://www.ehow.com/plants/  http://www.ehow.com/seed-types/

http://www.ehow.com/potato-seeds/

http://www.ehow.com/info_8046318_ways-store-garden-potatoes.html

Ways to Store Garden Potatoes  By G.D. Palmer, eHow Contributor

Read more: Ways to Store Garden Potatoes |

eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_8046318_ways-store-garden-potatoes.html#ixzz1w33J7pCU

Storing a few homegrown potatoes is easy; they keep well in dark, cool locations or in the refrigerator for short periods. However, storing a large crop can be much more complex. Potatoes take up space and require special storage conditions to keep over the long term. There are several ways to store your garden potatoes over the winter and into the spring. Does this Spark an idea?

Root Cellar
Root cellars are any underground cellar or pit for storing root vegetables like potatoes, carrots, parsnips and onions. Since they're built below the frost line, they keep vegetables cool, but not frozen, over the winter. In the spring and summer, a root cellar stays the same temperature as the surrounding soil -- about 55 degrees Fahrenheit. Root cellars are relatively cheap to create and use and take up no extra indoor space. However, they're best for storing very large quantities of potatoes. Avoid storing potatoes with apples, tomatoes or fruits like peaches and plums, which give off ethylene gas. This gas can spoil your potato crop. According to the University of Maryland, potatoes in a root cellar will keep for four to six months.

Field Storage
Storing potatoes in the field is one of the easiest and simplest options. Simply mulch heavily over the potatoes to keep the ground they grew in from freezing. They'll keep until spring. To store potatoes in the field for winter digging, cover the ground with a waterproof plastic cover to keep moisture off and maintain a higher ground temperature. If you've already dug your potatoes, place them in a container with straw or sand, then bury the container. Remove potatoes as needed for cooking.

Read more: Ways to Store Garden Potatoes
| eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_8046318_ways-store-garden-potatoes.html#ixzz1w352Mvah

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2012, 01:02:13 AM »
Bears Life 5 8 12    9:27  258 views

VIDEO Link:  http://youtu.be/GjnJEq-wcJ4

Published on May 9, 2012 by Hungrybear9562
Life on my farm, growing and collecting food I grew and some wild food then juicing it. My chicken is setting on eggs, yay! Music; http://www.youtube.com/user/krookedskate088

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2013, 09:43:12 PM »
"Homemade Mosquito Trap"  at http://www.motherearthnews.com/do-it-yourself/homemade-mosquito-trap-zm0z12jjzhun.aspx

Items needed:

200 ml water
50 grams of brown sugar
1 gram of yeast
2-liter plastic bottle

Or US conversion:
1 cup of water
1/4 cup of brown sugar

HOW:
1. Cut the plastic bottle in half.
2. Mix brown sugar with hot water. Let cool. When cold, pour in the bottom half of the bottle.
3. Add the yeast. No need to mix. It creates carbon dioxide, which attracts mosquitoes.
4. Place the funnel part, upside down, into the other half of the bottle, taping them together if desired.
5. Wrap the bottle with something black, leaving the top uncovered, and place it outside in an area away from your normal gathering area. (Mosquitoes are also drawn to the color black.)

Change the solution every 2 weeks for continuous control.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 09:48:22 PM by Jimfarmer »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2013, 12:25:09 AM »
Jim, thanks for the idea!
Controlling pests like mosquitoes could be really important someday (well it's important now but maybe for awhile we won't have all the usual products to use...)
Far better to use these non-toxic solutions, anyway!
 :)