Author Topic: Old style chicken soup has beneficial nutrient cysteine  (Read 8429 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Old style chicken soup has beneficial nutrient cysteine
« on: November 05, 2010, 12:26:04 PM »
'scuse it I posted this in another area too as it is about cysteine, an amino acid and sort of relates to something I had posted there, Not a recipe at this time.

Posted also in: Ronnie James’ Board, Survivalist
Topic, Natural products that may be very valuable in the future times
« Reply #22 on: Today at 03:14:38 pm
http://planetxtownhall.com/index.php/topic,47.msg13839.html#msg13839
(Posts about NAC N-Acetyl-Cysteine  and also
Natural chicken soup which has cysteine in it.) 

Posting it here too,
Yowbarb Note: To simplify this whole thing if you don't have time to read the article, in your survival setup, have some chickens. Unless you are a vegetarian, do have some chicken soup on hand it does help with many ailments, and don't be too picky use the whole bird...beaks etc. These contain a lot of cysteine which is proven to help the immune system.
MEALS THAT HEAL
MY NOTE: ANCIENT STYLE CHICKEN SOUP PROBABLY HAS MORE CYSTEINE IN IT
Just a stray note about cycsteine. Remember the old concept of the chicken soup remedy?
Well in the old days - the very old days - people used to put the beak and feet into the pot along with the meat of the chicken. Not only that when they did the removal of feathers by hand, inevitable there would be some small pin feathers left in there. These things were very rich in cysteine which scientists later found out really is good for the immune system, hence the "chicken soup cure."
I read this back in the 1970s.
Today I found this article and the writer Does mention the cysteine. It is the beak feet and feathers which used to add a lot of the cysteine to the Medieival "Jewish penicillin."
- Yowbarb

======================================================================
Saturday, 16 October 2010
The Magic of Chicken Soup Healthkicker.com
http://www.healthkicker.com/734172431/the-magic-of-chicken-soup/
Excerpts:

Around the 12th century trusted healers started to prescribe "the broth of fowl" for their ill patients. It was during that time that Egyptian Jewish physician and philosopher, Rabbi Moshe ben Maimonides, started to write extensively about the benefits of chicken soup.

Maimonides used his 'fowl brew' to treat such things like hemorrhoids, constipation, and even leprosy. He strongly believed and especially praised the brew's healing power for respiratory illnesses like the common cold.

Since then, many researchers and scientists have pondered the question of whether or not chicken soup has any real health benefits to patients suffering from a cold. Some have even done experiments to see if there is such proof.

Dr. Stephen Rennard, MD at the University of Nebraska Medical Center, thought his family's chicken soup really did work, but as a scientist, he wanted proof.

"One day we were discussing chicken soup," Rennard explains. "My wife says that grandma says this is good for colds, and I said maybe it has some anti-inflammatory action."

Rennard tested his theory and added his wife's home made chicken soup to white blood cells, called neutrophils. To his surprise, the soup did slow the neutrophils. In fact, he claims that chemicals in the broth could clear a stuffy nose by inhibiting inflammation of the cells in the nasal passages.
Since Dr. Rennard's findings in the early 1990's, several studies have since agreed with his results, and show chicken soup as a "relief" for the common cold, not a "cure."

All research agrees that the soup helps break up congestion and eases the flow of nasal secretions. In addition, many say it also inhibits the white blood cells that trigger the inflammatory response (causing sore throats and the production of phlegm.)

When you are feeling under the weather, it seems that everything hot helps to make you feel better. However, the good thing about chicken soup is that - properly prepared such as the recipes below - it is loaded with valuable nutrients. This includes:

1. Chicken: Chicken contains an amino acid called cysteine, a substance released when you make the soup. This amino acid is similar to the drug acetylcysteine, which is prescribed by doctors to patients with bronchitis. It thins the mucus in the lungs, making it easier to cough out. And hot chicken vapors have been proven more effective than hot water vapors in clearing out the cold in your nose.

2. Carrots: Carrots, one of the routine vegetable ingredients found in chicken soup, are the best natural source of beta-carotene. The body takes that beta-carotene and converts it to vitamin A. Vitamin A helps prevent and fight off infections by enhancing the actions of white blood cells that destroy harmful bacteria and viruses.

3. Onions: Onions, another chicken soup regular, contains quercetin, a powerful anti-oxidant that is also a natural anti-histamine, and anti-inflammatory.
End quote from that article.

Yowbarb Note: If you have a genuine, natural good from - scratch chicken soup recipe, complete with beaks and feet and a few pin feathers, please post it here.
Will try to find one. If we never find such a recipe, just remember use as much of the chicken as you can... some of the parts you would tend to throw away has life-giving cysteine for the immune system.
Back soon.

http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/main/soup/chicken-soup-recipe.asp

« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 07:00:41 AM by Yowbarb »

Linda

• Prolific Member
Re: Old style chicken soup has beneficial nutrient cysteine
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 04:20:39 PM »
Here's the recipe I use to make chicken stock that is rich in minerals and collagen. I don't have access to beaks or the feathers, but I use the feet which are rich in collagen. Then you can make chicken soup from the finished stock.

1 whole free range chicken or 2 to 3 lbs of bony chicken parts, such as necks, backs, breastbones and wings.
gizzards from one chicken (optional)
4 qts cold filtered water
1-2 TLB.vinegar (the vinegar pulls the minerals out of the bones and into the broth)
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
3 celery sticks, coarsely chopped
1 bunch parsley

If you are using a whole chicken, cut off the wings and remove the neck, fat glands and the gizzards from the cavity.  By all means, use chicken feet if you can find them - they are full of gelatin (Jewish folklore considers the addition of chicken feet the secret to successful broth.)  Even better, use a whole chicken, with the the head on.  These may be found in Oriental markets. Farm raised, free-range chickens give the best results.  Many battery-raised chickens will not produce stock that gels.

Cut chicken parts into several pieces, (If you are using a whole chicken, remove the neck and wings and  cut them into several pieces.) Place chicken in large stainless steel pot with water, vinegar and all vegetables except parsley.  Let stand 30  minutes to 1 hour.  Bring to boil, and remove scum that rises to the top. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 6 to 24hours.  The longer you cook the stock, the richer and more flavorful it will be.  About 10 minutes before finishing stock, add parsley.  This will impart additional mineral ions to the broth.
(I always cook my stock for 24hrs, just simmer while you sleep) If you cook the broth longer than 6 hours then remove the large pieces of meat after about 4-6 hrs or it will get too dry to use, and just continue to cook the bones.

Remove whole chicken or pieces with a slotted spoon. Reserve meat for other uses. Strain stock into a large bowl and reserve in your refrigerator until the fat rises to the top and congeals.,. Skim off this fat and reserve the stock in covered containers in refrigerator or freezer.

This recipe is taken from Nourishing Traditions
Today I have a large pot of Beef Stock cooking on the stove, I will simmer it for 24 hours as well and then store in 2 cup containers in my freezer.

Good broth resurrects the dead, South American Proverb

Linda

Good info Barb, thanks
Linda :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 04:27:25 PM »
PS Linda - interesting about the Jewish lore about the addition of the feet to make proper broth!  I did read that the old style soup had
the feet, the beaks and a few pin feathers in it; the latter probably not intentional.
Having plucked wild grouse up in the mountains I know how hard it is to get every single feather off. :) Thanks for the further insight
and an actual recipe.
BRRR I'm cold here may turn on heat...
Barb  8)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 09:55:14 AM by Yowbarb »

noproblemo2

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 04:46:44 PM »
We finally have summer here, 86 today again, but would rather complain about the heat than the cold. But as soon as the weather changes again will be trying this recipe, feet and all....

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 07:51:56 PM »
I'm gonna stock up on Campbells Chicken Noodle soup! I like it. I like chicken with rice, too. ed

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 09:18:59 AM »
It is freezing here, 37deg right now and some flurries. I will be turning on my electric mattress cover again tonight. We are hoping for a warm up in a few days. This is too cold for this time of year. My heating bills are going to be insane at this rate.

Keep warm and toasty!

Linda

Linda yes the fuel/electric bills will be over the top.
I felt really cold here after I woke up 5 AM for awhile and sat at computer for awhile...
Then I was all toasty with electric blanket on, one space heater turned up more, in living room
for some of the cats/ one in garage for more.
Supposed to be 60 now here. Feels colder.
Anyway, I really recommend more warming foods like soup...
Yowbarb
  dill added to the dumplings, yumm 
http://www.simplyhomemade.ca/recipes/Chicken-Soup-Dill-Dumplings 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 09:21:58 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 06:58:02 AM »
I'm gonna stock up on Campbells Chicken Noodle soup! I like it. I like chicken with rice, too. ed

That stuff is pretty good too. Any kind of chicken soup seems to help.

augonit

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 11:20:52 AM »
I knew a Jewish lady who made her own chicken noodle soup and would get lots and lots of chicken feet from her butcher to use in it.  She said it was for flavor.  Still, it's a little freaky to open up the pot and see about 20 chicken feet on top of the soup you'll be eating soon.

'scuse it I meant to hit the quote button but instead selected modify. Didn't intend to modify your post,  :)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 08:30:22 AM by Yowbarb »

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 11:27:54 AM »
I knew a Jewish lady who made her own chicken noodle soup and would get lots and lots of chicken feet from her butcher to use in it.  She said it was for flavor.  Still, it's a little freaky to open up the pot and see about 20 chicken feet on top of the soup you'll be eating soon.

Augonit, I use chicken feet to make my chicken broth (along with other pieces of chicken) It's the feet that create the healthy gelatin that strengthens your joints and cartilidge, they also impart the best flavor. I do however remove them before I complete the soup, as they do look creepy.  ;D My grandson saw them in the pot once and thought they were hands, freaked him out! LOL

Linda
Linda :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 08:30:56 AM »

That's good you got to see that directly... I haven't seen that just read about it...
I happened to read an article (Prevention, I think) about the cysteine in the old - style chicken soup... Jewish or not the old style homemade soup had more natural parts in it, whether it be beaks, feet a few pin feathers, etc. all rich in cysteine...

;) Yowbarb
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 07:04:43 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 08:33:28 AM »
Augonit, I use chicken feet to make my chicken broth (along with other pieces of chicken) It's the feet that create the healthy gelatin that strengthens your joints and cartilidge, they also impart the best flavor. I do however remove them before I complete the soup, as they do look creepy.  ;D My grandson saw them in the pot once and thought they were hands, freaked him out! LOL

Linda

Linda that would look creepy, LOL. In the Aftertimes if there is a cook for a big bunch of people they should not look in the pot. They will have to just eat it when it is all done. hehe.  :) - Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 07:09:58 AM »
Although we do have a topic somewhere about raising chickens, I will post this here too,
The Chicken and Egg page of the Mother Earth News.
The page has several links to articles and lots of info.
- Yowbarb
Mother Earth News Home Page:  http://www.motherearthnews.com/

Welcome to the Chicken and Egg Page!  http://www.motherearthnews.com/eggs.aspx

« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 03:18:48 PM by Yowbarb »

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 03:58:51 AM »
I had mentioned this cabbage soup from Weight Watchers in another topic.  Here is the recipe, extremely healthy for you and for weight loss too!!

0 Point Weight Watchers Cabbage Soup:
3 cups nonfat beef broth (beef is the best) or 3 cups nonfat vegetable broth (beef is the best) or 3 cups nonfat chicken broth (beef is the best)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 cups chopped cabbage
1/2 yellow onion
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup green beans
1/2 cup chopped zucchini
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon oregano
salt & pepper
Directions:
Spray pot with non stick cooking spray saute onions carrots and garlic for 5 minutes.
Add broth, Tomato paste, cabbage, green beans, basil, oregano and Salt & Pepper to taste.
Simmer for a about 5-10 minutes until all vegetables are tender then add the zuccini and simmer for another 5 or so minutes.
I have tried different variations. Leaving out green beans. Adding chopped green onions in addition to the yellow onion.
All very good. You can customise it a bit.

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 04:03:31 AM »
Another simple, healthy soup:  Tortellini Tomato Spinach Soup

Cook Time:
30 mins10 mins
20 mins
Really healthy soup, good to use when there's no time to spend in the kitchen!
Ingredients:
Servings:
  4 44-6 Servings Size
Update.
.Units: US | Metric
.1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup minced onion (about 1/2 small onion)
1 garlic clove, minced
4 -6 cups chicken broth or 4 -6 cups vegetable broth
1 (14 ounce) can whole tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1 (9 ounce) package fresh tortellini or 1 (9 ounce) package dried tortellini
kosher salt
cracked black pepper
10 ounces fresh spinach or 10 ounces frozen spinach, defrosted and chopped
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
Directions:
In a soup pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat.
Saute the onion and garlic, stirring often until onions are translucent, about 5 to 7 minutes.
Add broth and tomatoes, turn heat up to high, and bring to a boil.
Add the tortellini and cook according to package instructions.
When tortellini is almost done, add spinach and taste, adjusting seasonings with salt and pepper.
Serve immediately.
Garnish each serving with a sprinkling of Parmesan.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 08:46:06 AM »
« on: Today at 08:42:19 AM »

http://www.motherearthnews.com/a-modern-missouri-homesteader/chicken-noodle-soup-homegrown.aspx

Mother Earth News
Chicken Noodle Soup, Homegrown!

2/24/2012 11:19:52 PM
By Sherry Leverich Tucker

This is the time of year that I really appreciate the work that went into the broiler chickens that we raised the summer before. Being able to bring one of them out of the freezer, thaw it out and either stew it or bake it is very satisfying! When we raised the chickens last summer I put off butchering so that they could get more size on them. This really makes them excellent for stewing, and I end up with enough meat to make at least 2 meals.

One of our most loved mealtime favorites for stewed chicken is:

Chicken Noodle Soup

It starts with a whole chicken, thawed, rinsed and placed in a pot filled with enough water to almost cover the chicken. Add cleaned and chopped carrots, celery, onion, salt, pepper and dried or fresh sage. Rosemary or Parsley are also good with chicken. And, it isn't quite the same, but adding dried onion and celery works well if fresh is not available. I use what I have or need to use. I save tops of celery, leftover onion and carrots that are too old to eat fresh to use for broth. 

Bring the pot of chicken and broth to a boil and gently simmer for a couple of hours. The chicken is done when it is tender and the legs are easily pulled apart. The pot can be simmered longer without a problem, but the longer the chicken cooks the more it will fall apart causing it to be harder to handle. Take the pot off the heat source and let the chicken and broth set until cool enough to handle.

I like to use my very large colander over a large bowl to strain the broth from the chicken and vegetables. Debone the chicken and chop into 1 inch pieces. Since my chickens are so large, I use half of the chicken for soup, and save the other half for another meal.

For chicken noodle soup I use about 1 ½ quarts of the broth. I pour this into a dutch oven and pour the remainder of the broth into a jar with lid and store in the refrigerator for use in another recipe. When the broth is simmering I add either a couple of chicken bouillon cubes or a Tablespoon of chicken base (this adds a little more salt and flavor). I also to add some of the stewed celery and carrots to this soup for color and a little added flavor. Now it is time to make the noodles!

The basic egg noodle is a very simple recipe.

Take 2 eggs and mix with a Tablespoon of water. Stir until blended then add 1 cup of flour, ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp coarse ground pepper. Mix well, then add enough flour to pull it together to the consistency of bread dough. Make it into a ball and set on a floured countertop to rest for 5 minutes.

Knead, adding flour until it isn't sticky. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough thin. Keeping it well floured will help it from sticking together when it is cut into noodles. At this point the dough can either be rolled up (jelly-roll style) and cut into noodles, or a pizza cutter can be used to cut the noodles. How wide or long to make the noodles is completely personal preference. Separate the noodles, being sure to dust with flour to keep them from sticking. The noodles can be used immediately. Make sure that the broth is simmering and add the noodles in small amounts, stirring to keep them separated. Don't worry about the excess flour, it will add thickness to the soup as it cooks into the broth. After all the noodles have been added, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

Time to Enjoy!

When the noodles are fully cooked, add chicken and heat through. Taste test to see if it needs anything, then ladle and serve! Chicken noodle soup is a great meal in itself and is full of nutrition. Besides that it taste wonderful! Please let me know how you make your chicken noodle soup, or if you have other noodle techniques to share.

photos by:  Sherry Tucker.  Top; Chicken Noodle Soup, Second; Chicken in stew pot, Third; farm fresh eggs for noodles, Bottom; Cutting noodle dough into noodles.

Comment(s) >>

Read more: http://www.motherearthnews.com/a-modern-missouri-homesteader/chicken-noodle-soup-homegrown.aspx#ixzz2JNov1PqZ
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 08:48:57 AM by Yowbarb »