Author Topic: Info from NASA started by Ed  (Read 26592 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
Info from NASA started by Ed
« on: November 15, 2010, 09:49:09 PM »
Ed and All I know there has been some discussion on here about upcoming NASA announcements but I am not finding a Topic on this.
So here goes. [NASA News and Press Conferences Topic, begun in 2010, merged into Ed's Topic Info from NASA here.] You will see both subject titles.
Yowbarb Some of the announcements are still coming out. 
Numbering these I) and II)
One announcement today was that there will be a news conference on the 18th.
 Details farther below. The other announcement is about the nearest black hole ever discovered
- Yowbarb  08 July 2011 UPDATE: I just merged my NASA New Topic, begun in 2010, into Ed's more recent NASA Topic here.

http://www.nasa.gov/news/releases/latest/index.html

I) NASA Announces Comet Encounter News Conference11.15.10 - NASA will hold a news conference at 1 p.m. EST on Thursday, Nov. 18, to discuss new scientific findings from the recent EPOXI mission spacecraft encounter with comet Hartley 2. [Planetbarb's Note: See farther below, the news conference is the 18th.]

II) NASA'S Chandra Finds Youngest Nearby Black Hole 11.15.10
- Astronomers using NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory have found evidence of the youngest black hole known to exist in our cosmic neighborhood.

Announcement I)
Nov. 15, 2010 MEDIA ADVISORY : M10-161  NASA Announces Comet Encounter News Conference  
WASHINGTON -- NASA will hold a news conference at 1 p.m. EST on Thursday, Nov. 18, to discuss new scientific findings from the recent EPOXI mission spacecraft encounter with comet Hartley 2. The news conference will originate from the NASA Headquarters auditorium at 300 E St. SW in Washington. It will be carried live on NASA Television.

Media representatives may attend the conference, ask questions by phone or from participating NASA locations. To RSVP or obtain dial-in information, journalists must send their name, affiliation and telephone number to Steve Cole at stephen.e.cole@nasa.gov or call 202-358-0918 by 11 a.m. EST on Nov. 18.

The news conference participants are:
-- Michael A'Hearn, EPOXI principal investigator, University of Maryland
-- Jessica Sunshine, EPOXI deputy principal investigator, University of Maryland
-- Tim Larson, EPOXI project manager, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif.
-- Pete Schultz, EPOXI scientist, Brown University

NASA's EPOXI spacecraft successfully flew past comet Hartley 2 on Nov. 4, providing scientists the most extensive observations of a comet in history.

For NASA TV streaming video and downlink information, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/ntv

For more information about NASA's EPOXI mission visit:  http://www.nasa.gov/epoxi

- end -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

text-only version of this release

NASA press releases and other information are available automatically by sending a blank e-mail message to hqnews-subscribe@mediaservices.nasa.gov. To unsubscribe from this mailing list, send a blank e-mail message to hqnews-unsubscribe@mediaservices.nasa.gov.

Back to NASA Newsroom | Back to NASA Homepage
..............................................................Trent Perrotto
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-0321
trent.j.perrotto@nasa.gov

Janet Anderson
Marshall Space Flight Center, Huntsville, Ala.
256-544-6162
janet.l.anderson@nasa.gov

Megan Watzke
Chandra X-ray Center, Cambridge, Mass.
617-496-7998
mwatzke@cfa.harvard.edu   

Announcement II)
Nov. 15, 2010 RELEASE : 10-299  NASA'S Chandra Finds Youngest Nearby Black Hole   
WASHINGTON -- Astronomers using NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory have found evidence of the youngest black hole known to exist in our cosmic neighborhood. The 30-year-old black hole provides a unique opportunity to watch this type of object develop from infancy.

The black hole could help scientists better understand how massive stars explode, which ones leave behind black holes or neutron stars, and the number of black holes in our galaxy and others.

The 30-year-old object is a remnant of SN 1979C, a supernova in the galaxy M100 approximately 50 million light years from Earth. Data from Chandra, NASA's Swift satellite, the European Space Agency's XMM-Newton and the German ROSAT observatory revealed a bright source of X-rays that has remained steady during observation from 1995 to 2007. This suggests the object is a black hole being fed either by material falling into it from the supernova or a binary companion.

"If our interpretation is correct, this is the nearest example where the birth of a black hole has been observed," said Daniel Patnaude of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics in Cambridge, Mass. who led the study.

The scientists think SN 1979C, first discovered by an amateur astronomer in 1979, formed when a star about 20 times more massive than the sun collapsed. Many new black holes in the distant universe previously have been detected in the form of gamma-ray bursts (GRBs).

However, SN 1979C is different because it is much closer and belongs to a class of supernovas unlikely to be associated with a GRB. Theory predicts most black holes in the universe should form when the core of a star collapses and a GRB is not produced.

"This may be the first time the common way of making a black hole has been observed," said co-author Abraham Loeb, also of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics. "However, it is very difficult to detect this type of black hole birth because decades of X-ray observations are needed to make the case."

The idea of a black hole with an observed age of only about 30 years is consistent with recent theoretical work. In 2005, a theory was presented that the bright optical light of this supernova was powered by a jet from a black hole that was unable to penetrate the hydrogen envelope of the star to form a GRB. The results seen in the observations of SN 1979C fit this theory very well.

Although the evidence points to a newly formed black hole in SN 1979C, another intriguing possibility is that a young, rapidly spinning neutron star with a powerful wind of high energy particles could be responsible for the X-ray emission. This would make the object in SN 1979C the youngest and brightest example of such a "pulsar wind nebula" and the youngest known neutron star. The Crab pulsar, the best-known example of a bright pulsar wind nebula, is about 950 years old.

"It's very rewarding to see how the commitment of some of the most advanced telescopes in space, like Chandra, can help complete the story," said Jon Morse, head of the Astrophysics Division at NASA's Science Mission Directorate.

The results will appear in the New Astronomy journal in a paper by Patnaude, Loeb, and Christine Jones of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics. NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Ala., manages the Chandra program for the agency's Science Mission Directorate in Washington. The Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory controls Chandra's science and flight operations from Cambridge.

For more information about Chandra, including images and other multimedia, visit:

http://chandra.nasa.gov and  http://chandra.harvard.edu   

- end -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

text-only version of this release

NASA press releases and other information are available automatically by sending a blank e-mail message to hqnews-subscribe@mediaservices.nasa.gov. To unsubscribe from this mailing list, send a blank e-mail message to hqnews-unsubscribe@mediaservices.nasa.gov.

Back to NASA Newsroom | Back to NASA Homepage

« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 07:42:55 AM by Yowbarb »

Ed Douglas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
    • View Profile
Re: NASA News and Press Conferences
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 08:47:13 AM »
Yep, the young black hole. I figured it would be something of unimportance to our cause.  NASA has a way of doing this.  ed

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 09:02:28 AM »
Yep, the young black hole. I figured it would be something of unimportance to our cause.  NASA has a way of doing this.  ed

Ed
the only thng is, on Monday NASA did announce upcoming Press Conference about what they found during their comet flyby mission. So that is Wednesday the 18th.
(The only reason I posted that is, who knows what they might announce on Wednesday. )
True it is probably nothing... but I will take a look at it when it happens.
I happened to see this about the Wed Press Conference late at night, and thought I would do a Topic
on it before I forgot.
All The Best,

Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 03:52:48 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/02/18/nasa.shuttle/index.html

Discovery's final flight scheduled for Thursday

By the CNN Wire Staff  February 18, 2011 10:14 p.m. EST

(CNN) -- Weather and conditions permitting, space shuttle Discovery will lift off Thursday on its final flight, NASA announced Friday.

The six-member crew will deliver a storage module, a science rig and spare parts to the international space station during its 11-day mission.

Originally scheduled for November, Discovery's launch was delayed because of repairs to the external tank's support beams.

NASA, which is winding down the shuttle program, announced the February 24 launch a few weeks ago, but confirmed it after a meeting briefing Friday. This will be Discovery's 39th voyage.

The launch is scheduled for 4:50 p.m. at Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

Astronaut Steve Bowen was assigned to take the place of Tim Kopra, who was injured in a bicycle accident, NASA said.

The last scheduled launch of space shuttle Endeavour is currently on for April 19 and shuttle Atlantis is tentatively scheduled to launch during the summer.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 04:20:52 PM »
I just spent a half hour putting together the news releases but got had a problem posting it and it
was all lost. B back later or tomorrow.
Here is the main link to access NASA News Releases.
- Yowbarb

http://www.nasa.gov/news/index.html  NASA News Index

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 11:05:23 AM »
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.cfm?release=2011-060

Can WISE Find the Hypothetical 'Tyche'?

February 18, 2011
Background

In November 2010, the scientific journal Icarus published a paper by astrophysicists John Matese and Daniel Whitmire, who proposed the existence of a binary companion to our sun, larger than Jupiter, in the long-hypothesized "Oort cloud" -- a faraway repository of small icy bodies at the edge of our solar system. The researchers use the name "Tyche" for the hypothetical planet. Their paper argues that evidence for the planet would have been recorded by the Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer (WISE).
WISE is a NASA mission, launched in December 2009, which scanned the entire celestial sky at four infrared wavelengths about 1.5 times. It captured more than 2.7 million images of objects in space, ranging from faraway galaxies to asteroids and comets relatively close to Earth. Recently, WISE completed an extended mission, allowing it to finish a complete scan of the asteroid belt, and two complete scans of the more distant universe, in two infrared bands. So far, the mission's discoveries of previously unknown objects include an ultra-cold star or brown dwarf, 20 comets, 134 near-Earth objects (NEOs), and more than 33,000 asteroids in the main belt between Mars and Jupiter.
Following its successful survey, WISE was put into hibernation in February 2011. Analysis of WISE data continues. A preliminary public release of the first 14 weeks of data is planned for April 2011, and the final release of the full survey is planned for March 2012.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: When could data from WISE confirm or rule out the existence of the hypothesized planet Tyche?
A: It is too early to know whether WISE data confirms or rules out a large object in the Oort cloud. Analysis over the next couple of years will be needed to determine if WISE has actually detected such a world or not. The first 14 weeks of data, being released in April 2011, are unlikely to be sufficient. The full survey, scheduled for release in March 2012, should provide greater insight. Once the WISE data are fully processed, released and analyzed, the Tyche hypothesis that Matese and Whitmire propose will be tested.
Q: Is it a certainty that WISE would have observed such a planet if it exists?
A: It is likely but not a foregone conclusion that WISE could confirm whether or not Tyche exists. Since WISE surveyed the whole sky once, then covered the entire sky again in two of its infrared bands six months later, WISE would see a change in the apparent position of a large planet body in the Oort cloud over the six-month period. The two bands used in the second sky coverage were designed to identify very small, cold stars (or brown dwarfs) -- which are much like planets larger than Jupiter, as Tyche is hypothesized to be.
Q: If Tyche does exist, why would it have taken so long to find another planet in our solar system?
A: Tyche would be too cold and faint for a visible light telescope to identify. Sensitive infrared telescopes could pick up the glow from such an object, if they looked in the right direction. WISE is a sensitive infrared telescope that looks in all directions.
Q: Why is the hypothesized object dubbed "Tyche," and why choose a Greek name when the names of other planets derive from Roman mythology?
A: In the 1980s, a different companion to the sun was hypothesized. That object, named for the Greek goddess "Nemesis," was proposed to explain periodic mass extinctions on the Earth. Nemesis would have followed a highly elliptical orbit, perturbing comets in the Oort Cloud roughly every 26 million years and sending a shower of comets toward the inner solar system. Some of these comets would have slammed into Earth, causing catastrophic results to life. Recent scientific analysis no longer supports the idea that extinctions on Earth happen at regular, repeating intervals. Thus, the Nemesis hypothesis is no longer needed. However, it is still possible that the sun could have a distant, unseen companion in a more circular orbit with a period of a few million years -- one that would not cause devastating effects to terrestrial life. To distinguish this object from the malevolent "Nemesis," astronomers chose the name of Nemesis's benevolent sister in Greek mythology, "Tyche."
JPL manages and operates the Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer for NASA's Science Mission Directorate, Washington. The principal investigator, Edward Wright, is at UCLA. The mission was competitively selected under NASA's Explorers Program managed by the Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Md. The science instrument was built by the Space Dynamics Laboratory, Logan, Utah, and the spacecraft was built by Ball Aerospace & Technologies Corp., Boulder, Colo. Science operations and data processing take place at the Infrared Processing and Analysis Center at the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena. Caltech manages JPL for NASA. More information is online at http://www.nasa.gov/wise, http://wise.astro.ucla.edu and http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/wise .
Whitney Clavin 818-354-4673
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif.
whitney.clavin@jpl.nasa.gov

ASEEKERTOO

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 11:15:43 AM »
that was a good writeup YOW. methinks though that somebody somewhere already knows from the data if something is there. If a computer
can scan 10,000,000 faces for a face match to one individual in X.5 seconds then nasa has a computer that can scan 10,000,000
WISE photos for an anomaly in very short order. That's my thought on the matter and I'm sticking to it. :)
Ancient Prophecy appears to be fulfilled in the Nightly News.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 11:25:26 AM »

Ed I think I failed to acknowledge that a lot of what NASA will put out is fluff and horses feathers. :)
At least we have this Topic here to see what the latest fluff is and try to find something of substance,
Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 11:26:46 AM »
that was a good writeup YOW. methinks though that somebody somewhere already knows from the data if something is there. If a computer
can scan 10,000,000 faces for a face match to one individual in X.5 seconds then nasa has a computer that can scan 10,000,000
WISE photos for an anomaly in very short order. That's my thought on the matter and I'm sticking to it. :)

ASEEKERTOO I totally agree with you on this.
- Yowbarb   :)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 07:22:36 PM »
This is from spaceweather http://spaceweather.com/

LIFTOFF! The final voyage of space shuttle Discovery is underway. The orbiter lifted off at 4:53 p.m. EST Thursday from NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida on a 12-day mission to deliver Robonaut 2 and supplies to the International Space Station. Adventure photographer Mike Theiss sends this video from the launch site:

VIDEO   http://www.youtube.com/user/UltimateChase?feature=mhum#p/c/4/RUWyLc1LH-U

ASEEKERTOO

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 05:13:14 AM »
The Space Shuttle has been a very nice Space Truck. The thing that gets me about ISS is I haven't see a whole lot of news about
the Science they have done up there. I'll try to look it up later as to what has been going on but if anyone knows what they have
been doing; enlighten us !  ;)
Ancient Prophecy appears to be fulfilled in the Nightly News.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 06:36:22 AM »
The Space Shuttle has been a very nice Space Truck. The thing that gets me about ISS is I haven't see a whole lot of news about
the Science they have done up there. I'll try to look it up later as to what has been going on but if anyone knows what they have
been doing; enlighten us !  ;)

I was thinking it would be one human ark ... not sure now.
I watched a documentary which claimed it only holds a few people. ?!
I do not feel that is true.
Data anyone?
Yowbarb

Alfred Williams

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 06:40:30 AM »
Was much said about the payload this trip. I am just wondering if they may have an escape module to evacuate the station. Does anyone have any information on this that can be shared{{:>)
It is not what you know.
It is what you do with what you know!!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 06:41:39 AM »
Was much said about the payload this trip. I am just wondering if they may have an escape module to evacuate the station. Does anyone have any information on this that can be shared{{:>)

Good questions...

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 04:05:08 AM »
CONVERGING SPACECRAFT: Space shuttle Discovery is orbiting Earth and converging on the International Space Station (ISS).
Docking is scheduled for 2:15 p.m. EST on Saturday, Feb. 26th.
Anyone with an ISS flyby before then will likely see the space station and shuttle in close proximity.

Check the Simple Satellite Tracker for viewing times:
http://spaceweather.com/flybys/

Turn your cell phone into a field-tested satellite tracker. Works for Android and iPhone.

http://spaceweather.com/

Image is from 2010 - Yowbarb
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 04:16:28 AM by Yowbarb »

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!