Author Topic: Lack of Money  (Read 15639 times)

cbeyer64

• View Profile
Re: Lack of Money
« Reply #105 on: March 12, 2012, 04:23:09 PM »
Endtimesgal,

Thank you for the information about Wal-Mart.  I am there often and will have to check it out.  I also found a website that sells MRE's.  I am not sure if this topic was covered.  I might invest in getting some MRE's (Meals Ready to Eat).  They are lightweight and you just add water.  I used to have them in the U.S. Army.

Here is the website.  Plus, they sell other items there like dehydrated food. 

http://www.nitro-pak.com/products/mre?adwrd=civilian%20MRE&gclid=CNLeyfC_4q4CFQfCKgodxRzraw
Chandra
Chandra

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2012, 04:50:17 PM »
They are in the food section.

bk

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 27, 2014, 12:01:12 AM »
Some info on ammo and guns from the Ready Store.

What is the Best Gun for Emergency Preparedness?

Written by Brandon Garrett
We often get the question about  what type of gun we would recommend for emergency preparedness.

The answer is a bit complicated. It depends on what you’re going to use the gun for. Is it for hunting food that you’d need in an emergency? Is it for self-defense? Each gun has it’s different strengths and weaknesses and the gun you choose should be tailored to your specific needs.

http://www.thereadystore.com/survival-tips/5352/what-is-the-best-gun-for-emergency-preparedness

Make sure to look over the comments section also.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2014, 06:57:40 AM »
Some info on ammo and guns from the Ready Store.

What is the Best Gun for Emergency Preparedness?

Written by Brandon Garrett
We often get the question about  what type of gun we would recommend for emergency preparedness.

The answer is a bit complicated. It depends on what you’re going to use the gun for. Is it for hunting food that you’d need in an emergency? Is it for self-defense? Each gun has it’s different strengths and weaknesses and the gun you choose should be tailored to your specific needs.

http://www.thereadystore.com/survival-tips/5352/what-is-the-best-gun-for-emergency-preparedness

Make sure to look over the comments section also.

Bob E. thanks very much for posting this.
 :)

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #109 on: February 09, 2014, 03:30:47 PM »
Many of us have made sacrifices while trying to stock supplies for what is to come.  I know I certainly have.  Each of us can only do the best we can, no point worrying about what you cannot do.

The other day my daughter and I were discussing our preps and we were saying that all our efforts could end up in vain.  The structure our preps are stored in could collapse and make it difficult for us to even get to our supplies.  Think of the disasters that have happened over the past few years.  Earthquakes that collapse homes, and make it impossible to get into the rubble without the use of heavy machinery.  Tornadoes that carry items clear to the next county.  Tsunamis that carry everything out to sea.

Ultimately we really do not know if any of our preps will survive, and even if they do, we may have service to self individuals who come and rob us.  The government may confiscate our supplies, or we may be forced to abandon our safe places suddenly and only be able to take what we can carry on our backs.

What will be will be.  Do the best you can and trust God for the rest.  Thankfully, we are souls inhabiting a body, and will continue to exist no matter what happens to us.

And I firmly believe that many will survive that have done no preps at all and many who have prepped their hearts out will not.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 10, 2014, 06:17:51 AM »
Many of us have made sacrifices while trying to stock supplies for what is to come.  I know I certainly have.  Each of us can only do the best we can, no point worrying about what you cannot do.

The other day my daughter and I were discussing our preps and we were saying that all our efforts could end up in vain.  The structure our preps are stored in could collapse and make it difficult for us to even get to our supplies.  Think of the disasters that have happened over the past few years.  Earthquakes that collapse homes, and make it impossible to get into the rubble without the use of heavy machinery.  Tornadoes that carry items clear to the next county.  Tsunamis that carry everything out to sea.

Ultimately we really do not know if any of our preps will survive, and even if they do, we may have service to self individuals who come and rob us.  The government may confiscate our supplies, or we may be forced to abandon our safe places suddenly and only be able to take what we can carry on our backs.

What will be will be.  Do the best you can and trust God for the rest.  Thankfully, we are souls inhabiting a body, and will continue to exist no matter what happens to us.

And I firmly believe that many will survive that have done no preps at all and many who have prepped their hearts out will not.

Endtimesgal I appreciate your thoughts here. I agree with what you have said.
All we can do is try and we can be as proactive as possible. One thing which might work is spend a bit of cash and get a hole dug in the back of the house, on your survival location.
I'm not sure what it would cost but my suggestion is have a reinforced concrete hole with a reinforced wooden cover which you can move. I suppose I would put some mold inhibitor crystals or something in the corners, put down a tarp or something a few shelves and a small ladder which goes down into the inside. I would put a lot of the supplies down in there, cover it up. I would put a flameproof spray on the wooden lid and sprinkle gravel all over it, then some other kind of chamo. Oh yes I just thought of something. If you have an RV, camper or other vehicle on the property, drive it over the entrance to the underground food storage. Not putting the wheels on the door of it, just straddling it.
Any other ideas on how to disguise an underground storage?
Nothing is 100% certain or 100% safe but we can put up some barriers to people breaking in and stealing, etc. As far as building collapsing I would try to reinforce the building...

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #111 on: February 10, 2014, 08:26:54 AM »
We have talked before about storing supplies in some holes like you describe in various places on the property, but my daughter thinks with the various methods the military has at their disposal, they may sweep the property with some kind of device and discover them anyway.

I remember many years ago, I thought about trying to hide from the military way up in the mountains.  That was before I knew about all their abilities to use heat sensing equipment to locate warm bodies.  I don't think there is anywhere one can hide if they want to find you.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 10, 2014, 01:22:00 PM »
We have talked before about storing supplies in some holes like you describe in various places on the property, but my daughter thinks with the various methods the military has at their disposal, they may sweep the property with some kind of device and discover them anyway.

I remember many years ago, I thought about trying to hide from the military way up in the mountains.  That was before I knew about all their abilities to use heat sensing equipment to locate warm bodies.  I don't think there is anywhere one can hide if they want to find you.

Just my opinion but I would go ahead and hide the supplies in concrete anyway.
IMHO the most real and immediate threat will be thieves.  Chronic no - goodniks and more often, desperate people who wouldn't otherwise be thieves.

If this all goes down the government will be in a bunker and the military will be protected.
Will they run around looking for survivors to rip off... ?

Hiding in mountains? Any shelter should also have at least a layer of reinforced concrete on it due to fires. I'm not sure - but maybe spray concrete on the outside of a cabin would afford some protection.
Any forested areas could have some fires, due to fireballs, explosions from people's homes for various reasons and industrial fires which spread inland to rural areas.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 10, 2014, 01:24:05 PM »
Endtimesgal and All,
wishing you all the best of good fortune in securing a location, hiding your stuff and keeping it all too.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 10, 2014, 02:17:54 PM »

Endtimesgal

•   I was thinking of what you had posted and –
•   also my suggestion, the concrete on outside of a cabin, etc.
•   I know you weren't originally talking about that. It was just my suggestion,
•   since I figured your retreat might be a regular wood frame house or cabin.
•   Wasn't so sure it would work for fires, but here is some info in case you don't have it...
•   Am learning day by day and –
•   Heartened to read that shotcrete is supposed to help against fires.

http://www.reedpumps.com/shotcrete500388.jpg

Note: Not plugging this major concrete organization posted below. It is the first one which came up on my random search:  shotcrete on a wooden cabin protect against fires?

Below is one excerpt regarding protection against wind and fire, etc.

Speedy Construction Meets Demanding Structural Performance
The M2 (Emmedue) system was used to build a Hotel Intercontinental in Panama, an attractive beachfront property comprising many buildings, some up to 5 stories in height. The backbone of the M2 system is a lightweight panel, which makes the system suited to rapid, cost effective construction. A layer of concrete is applied to the panels (as shotcrete) to add strength and create long term durability.
Buildings are safe: non-combustible and strong enough to resist hurricane- and tornado-force winds, earthquakes, and even explosions. In fact, the U.S. military and petrochemical industries are currently testing this system for blast protection.

http://www.cement.org/think-harder-concrete-/homes/building-systems/shotcrete 

Shotcrete

Shotcrete is, in effect, a version of a cast-in-place concrete wall. Rather than placing concrete into forms, however, a fresh mix is sprayed onto wall panels that have been erected in the shape of the building. A nozzleman applies concrete from a pressurized hose to encompass the reinforcement and build up the wall thickness, forming structural shapes that include walls, floors, roofs, and other assemblies. This material has also been called “gunite” in reference to the nozzle or “gun” used to shoot material at the form face. Any surface suitable for accepting fresh concrete can be used: wood, steel, and polystyrene are common. Finishes are often applied directly to the concrete while it is still wet.

This section describes key aspects of shotcrete building systems for commercial and residential applications: 
(Lots of valuable info on this site!)

•Advantages

[ More later on this. Anyway shotcrete is cheaper than building a proper dome and faster. May make it easier to have that underground shed for supplies, too... ] A reinforced concrete geodesic dome, partly buried is probably the safest structure, but putting shotcrete on an existing shelter should help a lot.

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #115 on: February 10, 2014, 06:29:27 PM »
This is very interesting, thanks Barb.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 12, 2014, 08:45:36 PM »
This is very interesting, thanks Barb.

Something in your post made me think of it...
I know there are so many people who - if something major happens will not have so much as a storm cellar, so a spray of shotcrete on their cabin could really help.

Another idea I had awhile back is to set homes, cabins, structures onto reinforced concrete and set in a
hook on a post. Once it is dry, pull a reinforcing cable through it. It gets slung over and fastened. Now it may not be possible to do anything about the concrete under the building but concrete could at least be put around the cabin, house or whatever is available and a hook put into the wet concrete. A reinforcing cable could be put over running both directions to meet at the top like a "T". This gets fastened at the "T."

As far as vehicles go - I had an idea of putting a few vehicle pads of concrete out on the land. People staying out there to do work could have a lock which they could undo. Their busses, campers or regular cars could be secured and unlocked when someone needs to drive the vehicle.

I would do the same with animal pens for pets. Rather then let them run off into the woods to be eaten, when the building is going on, I would put them in large pens and have a secured concrete underneath.

Just some thoughts...

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 13, 2014, 04:00:43 PM »

Yeah, it's an age old question of how to hide stuff from prying eyes.  Unrelated to all this, we have a friend we used to see a lot and he was always very fearful "the governemt" was going to confiscate his guns and he said he had many of them stored all over his wooded acreage, and each one was buried in plastic pipe.  He said their detection equipment couldn't see through the thick-walled PVC drain pipe.  Don't know if it's true, but thought it's worth passing on.  I've seen occasional thick wall PVC pipe (a section about 3' in diameter) used for protecting a spring from frogs and fish, so something that large might also be capable of storing stuff, but the question would be how to seal the ends.  It's easy with drain pipe by getting a cap, but do they make caps for the huge pipe?

And just a note about hiding from infrared (IR) cameras.  It might not be easy, but remember deer, elk, etc., are out in the woods so there would be a lot of "background clutter".  Also, I saw a program one time where someone was researching how much body heat polar bears lose.  They were photographing polar bears using IR and were astonished to see that polar bears do not show the heat waves typical of those color-rendered IR pictures.  It appeared the polar bears were losing no heat at all. And I'm certainly not suggesting everyone run out and find a polar bear to kill, but there may be ways to "dress" that might trap our body heat.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 13, 2014, 04:07:53 PM »

Yeah, it's an age old question of how to hide stuff from prying eyes.  Unrelated to all this, we have a friend we used to see a lot and he was always very fearful "the governemt" was going to confiscate his guns and he said he had many of them stored all over his wooded acreage, and each one was buried in plastic pipe.  He said their detection equipment couldn't see through the thick-walled PVC drain pipe.  Don't know if it's true, but thought it's worth passing on.  I've seen occasional thick wall PVC pipe (a section about 3' in diameter) used for protecting a spring from frogs and fish, so something that large might also be capable of storing stuff, but the question would be how to seal the ends.  It's easy with drain pipe by getting a cap, but do they make caps for the huge pipe?

And just a note about hiding from infrared (IR) cameras.  It might not be easy, but remember deer, elk, etc., are out in the woods so there would be a lot of "background clutter".  Also, I saw a program one time where someone was researching how much body heat polar bears lose.  They were photographing polar bears using IR and were astonished to see that polar bears do not show the heat waves typical of those color-rendered IR pictures.  It appeared the polar bears were losing no heat at all. And I'm certainly not suggesting everyone run out and find a polar bear to kill, but there may be ways to "dress" that might trap our body heat.

Good ideas, people.  :)
ilinda that could be really valuable info...about the pvc pipe, especially.
Thanks,
Yowbarb

innova

• View Profile
    • Health Glimpses
« Reply #119 on: February 24, 2014, 12:06:35 AM »
A wetsuit used for swimming in cold waters would most likely fit the bill of holding in body heat, etc.  it might be a very good idea to have one also, in light of how events will unfold...

Survival Seed Vault

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!