Author Topic: Buddha's words about right thinking, right speech, right action, right view  (Read 7783 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
Hello All.
Namaste.

:) 
As part of the board, Surviving As A Good Person, This Topic is about the words of Buddha. Words
about trying to think right, which will help lead to the right speech; doing the right actions, or avoiding the wrong ones; thereby living right. In balance.  Having the right view. I will probably put up a couple of other Buddha topics...
I am going to put some of his quotes here, as a start. Farther down the page are a few links and related quotes or footnotes.
Please join in posting words of Siddhārtha Gautama Buddha - which you feel are timeless and worth remembering.
- OR - you can begin a new Topic which relates to Surviving As A Good Person. - Yowbarb

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/b/buddha.html  Buddha Quotes - just a few for now.

You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.
- Buddha

Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.
- Buddha

What we think, we become.
- Buddha

Those who are free of resentful thoughts surely find peace.
- Buddha

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gautama_Buddha  Siddhārtha Gautama
Aadil Palkhivala's : The gesture Namaste represents the belief that there is a Divine spark within each of us that is located in the heart chakra. The gesture is an acknowledgment of the soul in one by the soul in another. "Nama" means bow, "as" means I, and "te" means you. Therefore, Namaste literally means "bow me you" or "I bow to you."
 To perform Namaste, we place the hands together at the heart charka, close the eyes, and bow the head. It can also be done by placing the hands together in front of the third eye, bowing the head, and then bringing the hands down to the heart
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 09:24:47 PM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
Buddha's words about right thinking, right speech, right action, right view
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 09:19:31 PM »
Here are a few quotes about thought, action and view from Siddhārtha Gautama Buddha,
- Yowbarb

Thought:

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

I never see what has been done; I only see what remains to be done.

A jug fills drop by drop.

All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?

To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one's family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one's own mind. If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him.

The wise ones fashioned speech with their thought, sifting it as grain is sifted through a sieve.

Speech:

Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.

Whatever words we utter should be chosen with care for people will hear them and be influenced by them for good or ill.

The tongue like a sharp knife... Kills without drawing blood.

We are formed and molded by our thoughts. Those whose minds are shaped by selfless thoughts give joy when they speak or act. Joy follows them like a shadow that never leaves them.

All that we are is the result of what we have thought. If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, pain follows him. If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him.

However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not
act on upon them?

Action:

There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting.

To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

To keep the body in good health is a duty... otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear.

No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.

I never see what has been done; I only see what remains to be done.

Chaos is inherent in all compounded things. Strive on with diligence.

View:

The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.

Virtue is persecuted more by the wicked than it is loved by the good.

Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule.

You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection.

Even death is not to be feared by one who has lived wisely.

Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 10:04:56 PM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
Four Practices for Cultivating Right Effort

The first practice is, don’t water the bad seeds. You know that there are negative seeds in you, and if they manifest, you will suffer. So let them sleep peacefully. When you watch a film, when you read a newspaper, when you listen to music, there is a chance that a seed will be watered and will manifest. We have to consume in mindfulness so that the bad seeds are not watered. When we love each other we have to sign a peace treaty. “Darling, I promise never to water the bad seeds in you or in me, and you have to do the same. You have those seeds. You must not water them in you, and don’t water them in me.”

The second practice is that every time a bad mental formation manifests, we have to make it go back to sleep, because if we keep it here too long, then it strengthens down in the base. If we leave it up in the mind for an hour, then that seed has an hour of strengthening. It’s dangerous.

The third practice is to allow the good seeds to be watered so they have a chance to manifest in the mind. For example, a Dharma talk is a kind of rain that can water the good seeds in you. When they manifest in the mind consciousness, the landscape will be much more beautiful.

The fourth practice is when the good seed has already manifested, we help it to stay in the mind consciousness as long as possible. Like when you have a friend who comes to visit bringing good news, you try to keep that friend with you as long as possible.

That is the teaching of the Buddha on right effort, diligence, and conserving energy. It’s very concrete and practical and is done in a natural, relaxed way. We don’t need to fight or struggle; we don’t have to make exhausting efforts. Naturally and with a lot of pleasure, we can enjoy the practice.

These are the eight right practices representing the Noble Eightfold Path proposed by the Buddha to all of us. If a teaching can reveal the Noble Path, it is an authentic teaching of the Buddha.

http://iamhome.org/articles/karma4.php

8hertz

• Lifetime
  • Prolific Member
  • pax
    • View Profile
I just ran across these old posts.  I really like those words you posted, Yowbarb

Thank you,

8hertz

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
I just ran across these old posts.  I really like those words you posted, Yowbarb

Thank you,

8hertz

Thanks,
yes these great men had actual thoughts which we can live by,
regardless of our religions.
 :) Yowbarb

vBreezo

I have studied many "New Age" concepts over the past several years, including "Science of Mind", "Gurdjief-Ouspensky methods of awakening consciousness, mindful meditation, Abraham-Hicks theory of manisfesting your desires, plus a few random individual methods of inner realization. All of them have one thing in common; they are based on the teachings of the Buddha.

I have also studied the Abramic traditions (Judeo-Christian-Moslem) and have come to the opinion that they are opposed to the teachings of the Buddha.  Perhaps the world is in a state of political and economic chaos now because the Abramic traditions have dominated history for so long.  Hopefully, the Awakening that has begun will result in a worldwide acceptance of the concepts of Buddhism. Buddhists do not proselytize; one must come to that tradition by their own volition.

Only by finding the inner peace that the Buddha promotes can unity and world peace be achieved.

R-von

vBreezo

There are books showing the teachings of Jesus and the teachings of Buddha lined up next to each other.  They are almost identical.

Yes, I am aware of the teachings of Jesus that relate more to Buddhist concepts than Judeo. (BTW, if he existed, his name could not have been "Jesus". That is a Greek revision; 'Jesus' in ancient Greek means "Hail to Zeus") However, in the many revisions to the original New Testament texts, especialy at the Council of Nicea in 323, the Buddist-like references as well as the role of females in the early years of Christianity were either down-played or eliminated. That is when Mary Magdalene went from being a Priestess and his cohort to being a prostitute who washed feet with her hair.

Then there is the issue of his relationship with the Essene's. When one learns the true history and traditions of the Essene's as presented through the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Nag Hamadi texts, the life and work of Jesus becomes clear and understandable. But don't get me started on the Essenes, I might go on for pages.

R-von

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
There are books showing the teachings of Jesus and the teachings of Buddha lined up next to each other.  They are almost identical.

Yes, I am aware of the teachings of Jesus that relate more to Buddhist concepts than Judeo. (BTW, if he existed, his name could not have been "Jesus". That is a Greek revision; 'Jesus' in ancient Greek means "Hail to Zeus") However, in the many revisions to the original New Testament texts, especialy at the Council of Nicea in 323, the Buddist-like references as well as the role of females in the early years of Christianity were either down-played or eliminated. That is when Mary Magdalene went from being a Priestess and his cohort to being a prostitute who washed feet with her hair.

Then there is the issue of his relationship with the Essene's. When one learns the true history and traditions of the Essene's as presented through the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Nag Hamadi texts, the life and work of Jesus becomes clear and understandable. But don't get me started on the Essenes, I might go on for pages.

R-von

You could start a Topic about The Essenes or about The Gnostics etc. focusing mainly on whatever wisdom we can gain from these people..

vBreezo

You could start a Topic about The Essenes or about The Gnostics etc. focusing mainly on whatever wisdom we can gain from these people..

Yowbarb;  Yes, I am tempted to post what I have learned about the history of Christianity but I am also reluctant to introduce topics about religion into this forum as that might offend many who are firm in their beliefs.  I have learned long ago to NOT challenge the beliefs of anyone.

The important thing is that one believes in something that directs his/her life in a positive direction, even if those beliefs are based on a myth. All religions have a role to fill and all contain part of the truth. By following the path of a Universalist with a bias towards the teachings of the Buddha, I have been able to benefit from the teachings of all the significant prophets and teachers that I have studied.

So I will focus my attention, for this forum site, to the events that are unfolding in our solar system. 

Thehumbleman1

I had a reoccuring vision early on that pertains to this thread.  I was sitting in the sand outside my home with the Dali Lama, we were laughing and talking but I have no idea what about, there was no sound in my vision.
I drew a cross in the sand and circled it, then I drew a budha form and circled that. 
He opened his hands to me and put them together like a cup.
I picked up the sand in the circles, some in each hand, let them pour into his.
He looked at me with a wise smile and we had a moment of just smiling.  I told him if he could, seperate the 2 back to their circles, that is all I said, he said nothing just the smile.
Budha represents Patience and Understanding
Jesus represents Love and Forgiveness

This is what I beleive.  So I believe what the vision was partly trying to tell me was, how can you forgive yourself or anyone else without the patience to understand the pain.  And how can you forgive, or even take the time to understand it if there is no love.  After I wrote that a bit more detailed at the time, the vision stopped.  One thing I have noticed with visions, as I've had so many in a month, is that once I understood the meaning, or even changed the vision by the way I was thinking, they stop.  In another post I wrote of a consideration for the last 6000 years, its heresay or what have you, but to me, it's a belief.  Something I didn't, know or even consider a month ago.

Mike

Linda

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
I had a reoccuring vision early on that pertains to this thread.  I was sitting in the sand outside my home with the Dali Lama, we were laughing and talking but I have no idea what about, there was no sound in my vision.
I drew a cross in the sand and circled it, then I drew a Buddha form and circled that.
He looked at me with a wise smile and we had a moment of just smiling.  I told him if he could, separate the 2 back to their circles, that is all I said, he said nothing just the smile.
Buddha represents Patience and Understanding

Thanks  for posting this, I really liked what you said.
Linda :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
I drew a cross in the sand and circled it, then I drew a budha form and circled that. 
He looked at me with a wise smile and we had a moment of just smiling.  I told him if he could, seperate the 2 back to their circles, that is all I said, he said nothing just the smile.
Budha represents Patience and Understanding

This is what I beleive.  So I believe what the vision was partly trying to tell me was, how can you forgive yourself or anyone else without the patience to understand the pain.  And how can you forgive, or even take the time to understand it if there is no love.  After I wrote that a bit more detailed at the time, the vision stopped.  One thing I have noticed with visions, as I've had so many in a month, is that once I understood the meaning, or even changed the vision by the way I was thinking, they stop.  In another post I wrote of a consideration for the last 6000 years, its heresay or what have you, but to me, it's a belief.  Something I didn't, know or even consider a month ago.

Mike

Mike I just saw your post, and this is really interesting.
Thanks for posting,
Yowbarb

8hertz

• Lifetime
  • Prolific Member
  • pax
    • View Profile
If someone with kindly post the link to that thread. I like to read it.

Thank you in advance,

8hertz

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile

Thank you in advance,

8hertz

Very belated reply... sorry somehow I had missed it.
The thread which Thehumbleman1 was referring to is this one.
Namaste,
Barb T.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile

Thank you in advance,

8hertz

Hello again, 8hertz.  :) In case this is what you were referring to, quite awhile ago, here is the link to
the quotes of Buddha's sayings...
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/b/buddha.html  Buddha Quotes

-  Yowbarb

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!