Author Topic: Low voltage lighting  (Read 3230 times)

billxam

Low voltage lighting
« on: May 16, 2011, 05:16:42 PM »
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 06:32:54 PM by billxam »

Boonie Stomper

• Trusted Member
  • Reality is but a dream if followed to the source..
    • View Profile
Re: Low voltage lighting
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 07:15:21 PM »
Can you post or direct us to the plans you mention?   
there is nothing as pure as a mix of faith and pure imagination :D

Boonie Stomper

• Trusted Member
  • Reality is but a dream if followed to the source..
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 07:17:10 PM »
Can you post or direct us to the plans you mention?

I'm going to do a detailed segment about them and will also do another set with a step by step instruction set. It's actually very easy to do. You're working with very low voltages that are self contained so there isn't any danger to the person other than using a soldering iron - and you don't even need to do that - I solder all of my connections. I'm a silver solder freak.

Will have the plans in about a week or so.

Rolling over for you... can you give a sneak peek / preview...  ??  Curiosity, you know...   :)
there is nothing as pure as a mix of faith and pure imagination :D

noproblemo2

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 12:36:17 PM »
Here's the parts list for the project. I'll do it up this weekend.

1. Enercellâ„¢ Universal DC Power Adapter Model: 273-365 Catalog #: 273-365
This is the product that Radio Shack sells. Yeah, it's $25 but I've had mine for years so I know they're good. You can get any one you want but it must adapt 12 volts (step-down) to both 3 and 4.5 volts.

2.  Hampton Bay Outdoor Black Spot Solar Lights (3-Pack) Model # 79778 Store SKU # 555208
These are the current model as sold at Home Depot. The model that we have is slightly different - these things change like the wind. The brand that we have is made by Portfolio. What's important is that we're talking about 3 LED heads with 3 LED bulbs in each that require 3 AA rechargeable batteries.

3. Electrical tape, wire strippers (or a knife to strip off insulation), soldering iron (20 watts), rosin core solder (not acid core), 1 wood block (for mounting the light onto, drill bit same size as the post that comes with the lights.

I have a forstner drill bit set that I use to drill large holes but a paddle bit would work as well - the hole just wouldn't be as pretty.
Have been wanting to get these, now I WILL get them.

Frisky Robert

• Trusted Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 10:34:16 AM »
I am now rewiring my small house with 12 volt wires for each room but, now I need to know what kind of lights to use. I thought about R/V lights but do they draw too much power? How do the LED lights fit in and which ones are best? I am planning to run direct from a deep cycle R/V battery that will be charged with a wind mill and a solar panel. I'm just getting started and do not have much experience at it. I live in a place that has steady winds and sun. Helpful advice anyone?   :)
Start where we are
Use what we have
Do what we can

1969quartz0

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 10:22:38 AM »
Frisky Robert the LED lamp I like the best uses 3.5 watts of power it is 12 volts DC and is frosted so there is very low glare but one lamp will light a room fairly well, it uses a standard Edison base (medium) like most homes in the U.S. use for lighting, and is about 4100 kelvin for its color range, that is the color of pig iron at that temperature or daylight white light not warm light. do a search for      MR PL DC DL     model MR-PL it has a 50,000 hour rating and made by Rohs. Robert I hope this helps just do not screw it into a 110 volt AC lamp socket or it is done for.

Frisky Robert

• Trusted Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 11:56:58 AM »
Thank you!!!
Start where we are
Use what we have
Do what we can

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!