Author Topic: The Bugout Vehicle  (Read 28472 times)

BuddhaKitty

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
Re: The Bugout Vehicle
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2011, 02:07:13 PM »
terry, thanks for your two cents  :D

okay... car storage would be about as much per month as a car payment.  so much for stroring the bugout vehicle...

option 2, a bugout vehicle/daily driver.  a hybrid suv
(would have to be hybrid, standard gas mileage just wouldnt' cut it).  good idea?  bad idea? 
there are hybrid 4x4's that exist but which one is *the* best for offroading?  if i find the right one
a.s.a.p. i can be looking around at the dealerships as early as tomorrow.

(Don't mind me was fiddling with the spacing on this to see if we could get rid of the humongous
horizontal line of text. YB)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 06:17:47 PM by Yowbarb »

Schi-502

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2011, 03:24:32 PM »
Hello Kitty,
  Here are my questions for you...

1.  Are you going to "Bug Out" after a SHTF incident?
  This has a great impact on how you proceed from here.

2.  Are you going to transport your provisions?
  I think I've already asked this question.

3.  Do you have a secure bug out destination?

4.  Do you have multiple licensed drivers?

My opinions...

If you leave before an incident, travel "well laden" and purposefully.  Use multiple vehicles.  An example would be a 12 passenger rental van, a rental box van and a dedicated keeper 4x4 full sized SUV.  Suburbans and Yukon XLs are plentiful and inexpensive at this time.  Lease returns are a good value.  You can get one at your destination.

If you have a secure location destination you can continue to stock up when you get there.

With multiple drivers you can rent multiple vehicles.

If you leave AFTER an incident...
It's all about the MAD MAX adventure.

Mark

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2011, 09:30:31 PM »
I didn't check out all the details...

ebay auction
1970 Land Rover Defender
1970 Land Rover 88" Series IIA w/ Portfolio of All Service Records

« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 06:18:40 PM by Yowbarb »

terrypat

• Prolific Member
  • My intention is to lead with the heart
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2011, 03:59:33 PM »
I'm leaning towards a vehicle with minimal electronics & plastic. More durable. Good luck B.K.  ;D
You have been telling people that this is the 11th hour.

Now you must go back & tell people  this  is  "The Hour" .

The Elders , Oraibi Arizona, Hopi Nation

BuddhaKitty

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2011, 05:52:44 PM »
hi mark, i don't have a place secured yet.  just a bunch of maps with pin-points of lakes and such throughout california, arizona and utah.  never been to these places before.  as for when i'll bug out, unfortunately it will be immediately after SHTF... a 4x4 would come in handy if roads are blocked (who the hell says we have to use roads anyway in an emergency?  people have become too used to "standing in line" if you get what i mean).  in this case, provisions would be transported - trying to get them to fit in one vehicle due to my desire for self-reliance... i have plenty of other licensed drivers in my family, but whether or not they would be cooperative when SHTF, i don't know. (take note these are the same people who would roll their eyes at me if i ever brought up this topic around them).

terry i agree with getting a vehicle with minimal electronics and such, but going back-and-forth in my mind between a daily driver or something strictly for bugging out.  i'm looking at older range rovers now (thanks barb).

in case you haven't noticed, the transportation situation is looking bleak... which is why a plan b bug-in plan is just as important.

Schi-502

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 26, 2011, 06:38:59 PM »
Hello Kitty,
  OK.  We go from "after a SHTF" scenario...

I am aware of your parties reactions to your desire to be prepared. 
Keeping everybody in one vehicle is the best way to protect all at the same time.  This reduces the amount of provisions and comfort items you can carry with you.  Bugging "through" road blocks, groups of innocents and zombies will be mentally taxing.  Avoiding these situations will be costly in terms of fuel consumed, time spent "exposed" and angst amongst your passengers.  (Are we there, yet?) 

Storage pods above your vehicle will be a sure "tell" of your resources.  This is not good.  I'll be right back.

http://www.motortrend.com/ni/used_cars/14/2002/chevrolet/suburban/2500/california/sacramento/245112086/113/?filter=Classifieds/VehicleUsedIncludeSuperPremium|1|ProductGroupId.not_equals||RadiusSearchDistance|95688|RadiusSearchPostalCode|95688|RadiusSearchRadius|100|VehicleMake|Chevrolet|VehicleModel|Suburban|VehicleUsedIncludeCarsDotCom|1|VehicleYear.max|2006|VehicleYear.min|2001|&sortby=&index=59&pagenum=3&sourcePageType=listings&numListings=20&nopaging=false
3/4 ton, Heavy suspension,  4x4,  $ is OK!
http://www.motortrend.com/ni/used_cars/14/2001/gmc/yukon_xl_2500/base/california/yuba_city/244358266/113/?filter=Classifieds/VehicleUsedIncludeSuperPremium|1|ProductGroupId.not_equals||RadiusSearchDistance|95688|RadiusSearchPostalCode|95688|RadiusSearchRadius|300|VehicleMake|GMC|VehicleModel|Yukon+XL+2500|VehicleUsedIncludeCarsDotCom|1|VehicleYear.max|2006|VehicleYear.min|2001|&sortby=RadiusSearchDistance|&index=0&pagenum=1&sourcePageType=listings&numListings=20&nopaging=false
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 07:12:35 PM by Schi-502 »

errrv

« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2011, 08:59:33 AM »
Hi guys... Just wanted to pass on a few tidbits of info.

I went 200 miles from Tulsa to SE Oklahoma over the holidays. I drove down & back on the turnpike & on state hiways. There was a ton of traffic. I tried to relate this to a bugout situation. I remember the traffic jams coming out of New Orleans before Katrina. I will tell you, you are gonna need a 4x4 with good mud tires. If the roads get clogged up like that, you are gonna have to bypass traffic. This means you are gonna need to leave the roadway (wire cutters/bolt cutters) and every major Hiway has a fence. You may have to pull cars out of the way. Have a chain or strap with hooks; always pull the end of the car without the motor. You may have to cross up and down steep embankments. Think about having a winch or comealongs. Shovels axe & saw mandatory. Extra gas is a given. Keep it covered & outside the crew compartment. Have a funnel or filling tube for your gas cans. Have more than one. You need to keep a toolkit with extra fuses, duct tape &JB weld ( hose repairs etc.).

Keep extra water & a pump & container to make more. Easy to prepare extra foods like protein bars etc. Plus warm clothes & sleeping bags. We all need to face it, after TSHTF, we may have to ditch our vehicles & walk. Prepare for it.
Erv

VillageIdiot

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2011, 10:28:57 AM »

I went 200 miles from Tulsa to SE Oklahoma over the holidays. I drove down & back on the turnpike & on state hiways. There was a ton of traffic. I tried to relate this to a bugout situation. I remember the traffic jams coming out of New Orleans before Katrina. I will tell you, you are gonna need a 4x4 with good mud tires. If the roads get clogged up like that, you are gonna have to bypass traffic. This means you are gonna need to leave the roadway (wire cutters/bolt cutters) and every major Hiway has a fence. You may have to pull cars out of the way. Have a chain or strap with hooks; always pull the end of the car without the motor. You may have to cross up and down steep embankments. Think about having a winch or comealongs. Shovels axe & saw mandatory. Extra gas is a given. Keep it covered & outside the crew compartment. Have a funnel or filling tube for your gas cans. Have more than one. You need to keep a toolkit with extra fuses, duct tape &JB weld ( hose repairs etc.).

Keep extra water & a pump & container to make more. Easy to prepare extra foods like protein bars etc. Plus warm clothes & sleeping bags. We all need to face it, after TSHTF, we may have to
ditch our vehicles & walk. Prepare for it.
Erv
Erv, excellent info! Every time I imagine trying to bugout at the same time everyone else is also bugging out, a scene from "Deep Impact" always enters my mind. That scene is near the end of the movie where Leo Biederman rides a motorcycle through a major traffic jam while trying to locate his girlfriend. There was complete gridlock on the highway where all vehicles appeared to be parked. Once that image clears I always remember something Marshall has mentioned several times in his books: having a 24 hour advanced notice.
Live long and prosper!

BuddhaKitty

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2011, 12:03:14 PM »
mark, erv, terry, vi, barb, and everyone who gave input on a bugout vehicle - thank you!

i've found a secure parking spot and got my vehicle today... picking it up on sunday.

hope the photo works:

errrv

« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2011, 12:08:50 PM »
Awesome!!! You can even put an old tire on that push bar in front for pushing cars out of the way. It will keep it from getting bent up! Also you can fit a ton of cargo on the top.
Erv

BuddhaKitty

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2011, 12:11:57 PM »
Awesome!!! You can even put an old tire on that push bar in front for pushing cars out of the way. It will keep it from getting bent up! Also you can fit a ton of cargo on the top.
Erv

i like the idea about the tire in the front!  i'll figure a way to get it done.  i'm gonna take that beast for a spin at some offroading sites soon, too.

VillageIdiot

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2011, 05:00:04 PM »
NICE RIDE!  :D
Live long and prosper!

enlightenme

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2011, 05:26:53 PM »
Buddhakitty..Looks like an excellent choice!!  We just got our check from the insurance company, so we need to start shopping now.  Have Fun with it!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2011, 06:12:25 PM »
Buddhakitty..Looks like an excellent choice!!  We just got our check from the insurance company, so we need to start shopping now.  Have Fun with it!

A blessing in disguise now you get to go pick out what you really want for
the bugout vehicle.  :)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2011, 06:15:03 PM »

Keep extra water & a pump & container to make more. Easy to prepare extra foods like protein bars etc. Plus warm clothes & sleeping bags. We all need to face it, after TSHTF, we may have to ditch our vehicles & walk. Prepare for it.
Erv

Good ideas I think they are on the bugout vehicoe list (posted back several pages.) Will see about updating it and making sure
the winch is on it.
thanks,
Yowbarb

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!