Author Topic: String Theory  (Read 1489 times)

ASEEKERTOO

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • View Profile
String Theory
« on: January 02, 2011, 11:28:38 AM »
:) Before we get too far down the rabbit hole; just to be clear, the idea of an 'entity' existing in a 1 dimensional world or 2 dimensional
world is an Excercise in imagination. To help imagine what a 1 or 2 or 3 or 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 or 9 or 10 or 11 dimemsional world would
be like one has to take on the role of what 'another' may see. Much like Einstien had to do with the Theory of Relativity when he
imagined riding a light wave while another lightwave was going in the other direction...........
So, no advocation of entities are made by me; just imagination. :)
I've read about the Theoretical ideas of String Theory and Multidimensional physics postulations. [Wish I had not lost that
book in Katina ! ]
There is STRONG evidence of String theory and is in fact one reason why they are building bigger, better and more powerful atom
smashers. That and they are looking for the 'God' particle which is the Higgs Boson............... If they find it they may never really know it
because we'll all get sucked down to the size of a pinhead in about 1.0 E-23 second.   :o :P 8)
As a kicker: The 'dimensions' that we are aware of and live in are postulated to be dimensions that have EXPANDED into a MACRO
size. The other dimensions that are thought to exist are at or BELOW the Planck scale; still existing in the micro world. Existing
but not observable by us through any means that we are capable of at the moment.
http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/einsteinlight/jw/module6_Planck.htm
Anyway, food for thought.

EDIT:  I split off this topic, "String Theory", from messages in the "Big Picture" topic. (jimfarmer)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 08:22:36 AM by Jimfarmer »
Ancient Prophecy appears to be fulfilled in the Nightly News.

_cj_

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
Re: String Theory
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 12:31:49 PM »
i tried reading about membrane theory once ( its the extensions of string theory ) .....ouch it made my head hurt

anyway, some boffin has decided that there are 11 dimensions

regards,

alex

Ed Douglas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 12:36:41 PM »
Alex, I too found the person to say there are 11 dimensions, a good chuckle. If you can mathematically prove more than 3 dimensions, then why would it be limited to 11? Why 11 and not 7?   ed

_cj_

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 02:08:18 PM »
i have no idea why 11 dimensions

Probably theoretical mathematicians can come up with a theory to prove anything and because no one else understands it, it can't be disproven.  Today’s fashion is membrane theory so today we will have 11 dimensions ....well until the next theory comes along.....and then tomorrow’s fashion  ?? who knows how many dimensions we might have

Quod erat demonstrandum 

Regards
alex

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 06:49:29 PM »
"Probably theoretical mathematicians can come up with a theory to prove anything and because no one else understands it, it can't be disproven."  That's not how science works.  There are many curious mathematical "systems" that do not correspond to any known physical reality -- as so far known, that is.  Non-Euclidean geometry, for example, was "invented" and investigated before it was applied to relativity.  Those theoretical systems will remain on the books and be just curiosities until such time as they are found to be models of some physical system, if ever.  (By physical, I mean anything apparently real, including biological, chemical, psychological, economic, sociological, political, etc etc)  It often happens that there are multiple mathematical models for the same physical reality, and then the real work of the science community begins by performing experiments whose results should be either consistent with or inconsistent with one or more of the "competing" mathematical models.  That is the situation with String Theory at this time.

"If you can mathematically prove more than 3 dimensions, then why would it be limited to 11? Why 11 and not 7?"  String Theory does not prove that more than three dimensions exist.  What is does is present a set of equations that describe a conceptual reality that accounts for both relativity and quantum mechanics.  And, both relativity and quantum mechanics have been tested extensively for consistency (or otherwise) with measurements, and they have both passed all such tests.  (Well, up to very recently)  Now, it is the nature of those equations, which include a variable N to represent the number of dimensions in that conceptual reality, that determines what numerical values N might have in order for meaningful results to arise.  The value of 7, for example, produces results in which the left and right hand sides of certain equations have different values.

Ed Douglas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »
Yes, Jim. That is if, the laws of physics are constant. We are finding that our basic laws that were ascertained a long time ago, are now being disproven, as our ability to see more and more of the universe expands. Not to mention that certain sectors of the scientific community think that Einsteins Relativity, may be incorrect.  ed

Lori

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 11:52:18 AM »
What about endless dimensions?  ;D  Infinity? 

Ed Douglas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 11:58:16 AM »
Ah Lori, you have hit upon my area of the ballgame. Yes, infinite universes, and if you consider a universe to be a dimension, then infinite dimensions. All parallel, I would think.   ed

Ed Douglas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 12:07:07 PM »
I believe that many of us here, on the TownHall, refer to this entity as "God".   ed

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!