Author Topic: Who/What am I becoming?  (Read 3016 times)

family times41607

• View Profile
    • none
Re: Who/What am I becoming?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 06:07:02 PM »
Got to say that knowing is a double edge sword.  I spend alot planning, writing items down, want's, need's, must have's.  I second guess my process.  I am not only thinking for my family, but for 18 others also.  I read on the last post, about not being able to talk to people. Because they will not understand.  That is probably a safe way to be.  People will talk to you if they are on the same wave length as you.  I find them from time to time.   The doctor I work for remodeling his house, he pegged me for a prepper when I asked him about shelf life of medicine.  I guess what I'm trying to say, is we are doing the best we can.  Talking to people here and reacting to what we learn.  Who know's maybe we will all be wrong.  I HOPE....I guess it doe's help to be able to talk face to face.  Some of my team is 10 min. away.  So we sit and plan.  By the posts some are on their own, that must seem very alone, keep on this site and maybe this phase will pass.  Good luck to all

JKB

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 06:55:49 PM »
You nailed it FT, doing the best you can...  That is all any of us can do.  I'm not where I'd like to be with preparation but I am a long way from where I started.  Bottom line:  at least we are doing SOMETHING.  Most people are doing NOTHING.  Keep it up friend.  JKB
You have to let it all go Neo.  Fear, doubt, and disbelief...  Free your mind.

chaunska

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 09:46:28 PM »
We have a way of describing those who can't be made to understand what is going on.   We say that they have no eyes and no ears.   

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 11:40:57 PM »
well said gotta check out doomsday preppers

I was finally able to sit and watch the whole thing. I plan to watch all of them for whatever info I can glean...I am very disappointed at the way NG has presented preppers thus far. Sort of a mockery mixed with some actual good survival advice. I suppose someone did not have the courage - or was not allowed - to straight up tell people these events could happen and we should prepare. I think they manage to make peple look a bit like kooks it's the camera angle etc.

family times41607

• View Profile
    • none
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 06:59:08 PM »
  I agree yowbarb, ng has not agreed on any of the world changing events,  they give percentages of what could happen.  They always say (experts agree that this has a 10 percent chance of happening) Makes others think that nothing is wrong.  Another thing, I watched a prepper close to my home, show everything he has stock piled.  I would never show that stuff.  Especially on national TV.  I was impressed with the preppers though.  Makes me think, do I have enough?  Good luck to all

BuddhaKitty

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 08:32:52 PM »
I think the two AZ preppers compromised their safety greatly.  I feel sorry for them.  The "nuke attack guy" and farm families didn't seem as obvious.  I still don't think showing off what you got on national television is a good idea at all.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2012, 06:34:18 AM »
  I agree yowbarb, ng has not agreed on any of the world changing events,  they give percentages of what could happen.  They always say (experts agree that this has a 10 percent chance of happening) Makes others think that nothing is wrong.  Another thing, I watched a prepper close to my home, show everything he has stock piled.  I would never show that stuff.  Especially on national TV.  I was impressed with the preppers though.  Makes me think, do I have enough?  Good luck to all

Familytimes41607  I am going to send some email comments/complaints to National Geographic TV.
It is very irresponsible of NG to ask someone to give their name, appear on camera and show their location and all their worldly goods.
Question: On the shows does NG state where the locations are or is it approximate? I think it would have been smarter to have interviews with anonymous people. That might be difficult to do...but somehow the people should be protected...I noticed one guy ended up with most of his thumb missing while they were filming and one guy now cannot even own guns.
That doesn't sound so good to me.
That said I will continue to post about the shows etc. because it is part of the media disclosing or at least partially - or at least the possibility of an attempt to honestly present the info. a lot of it depends on who is running the show at the time how honest or how exploitive it ends up being.
- Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2012, 06:34:57 AM »
I think the two AZ preppers compromised their safety greatly.  I feel sorry for them.  The "nuke attack guy" and farm families didn't seem as obvious.  I still don't think showing off what you got on national television is a good idea at all.

I agree...

chaunska

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2012, 06:36:10 AM »
Now, be mindful here.     These people aren't children.   They chose to disclose their information.   They chose to reveal themselves.    Let us remember that we all have the freedom of choice.    Some people want their 15 minute of fame and if they choose to let prepping be that avenue, then they must take responsibility for that decision.   It is not irresponsible of NG.... the irresponsibility lies with the preppers wanting to be in the limelight.     NG is in the business of getting ratings and since this is an issue that many Americans have interest in, they made a show.   Now let them to it and watch it for the sole purpose of getting ideas and bettering your own survival plans.     Remember, personal responsibility is key to survival....it starts with everyday thinking in the here and now. :)   
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 06:48:20 AM by chaunska »

chaunska

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2012, 06:50:47 AM »
I have also been impressed with the preppers....

family times41607

• View Profile
    • none
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2012, 05:53:47 PM »
 ;D  I guess it all boils down to being able to take care of your family and group.  I personally do not need all of tv land knowing that I can do it.. They had some good ideas though.  Waxing the eggs to keep them fresh. Waxing the cheese wheel. Barter and trade goods..  I have powdered eggs, and I need a few chickens.  I guess it is what each individual knows how to do.  Doign the best we can for ourselve.  Doing what we can, with what we have to work with.  But like you I'm not going on national tv to share it.Good luck to all

steedy

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2012, 09:18:40 AM »
I thought of going on the show to show people how much is NOT enough.  Basically, like I'd be a baby prepper to show people who may think what they have is good enough, that that is just your starting point.  But really, I've thought of going on youtube to try to give pointers and things I've learned the hard way so other people won't make the same mistakes and waste time.

SurvivePoleShift.com

• SurvivePoleShift.com
  • Trusted Member
  • Don't be scared.. Be prepared!
    • View Profile
    • Survive Pole Shift
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2012, 10:06:13 AM »
Great topic! I keep having this recurring dream where I am looking down on the earth and I can see the continents moving. I also find myself trying to enjoy the little things a little more.  Luckily I live close to the beach so I am trying to enjoy the site and smell of the ocean and things like that. 
Don't be scared.. Be prepared!
Underground Shelter Community
http://www.FortTerraNova.org

Find out what they don't want you to know.
http://www.survivepoleshift.com

steedy

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2012, 08:11:05 AM »
I just looked at my supplies today and whoops!,  I need to get more stuff.  But that's typical.  It's like do we ever reach that point where we can sit back and say, "OK, I finally have enough and I won't have to get any more".  No we don't.  Good thing I'm going to the store tomorrow to get more stuff.

Oh, another place that is one of my favorite places that I haven't seen anyone mention on this site is Tractor Supply Center.  You can get seeds, canning supplies, tools, boots, clothes, etc in there.  Even generators.  I just LOVE that place!

enlightenme

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2012, 09:15:30 AM »
Ditto!!  We shop at Tractor Supply all the time!

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!