Author Topic: Losing weight: A place to share successful actions, tips and ideas  (Read 15633 times)

enlightenme

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
    • View Profile
Re: Losing weight: A place to share successful actions, tips and ideas
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2012, 07:53:31 PM »
24.15 is my total now, lost since Nov 14.
Lost less then a pound since I last reported; I guess it's been a couple days.
Not starving myself.
Still eating mainly nutrisystem. Son has made me a couple fruit berries and protein powder soymilk blender drinks past couple days.
Added prunes to my diet again.
After hysterectomy...found out I have to cut my activity down to about zero.
some things was trying to do cannot do not going to be able to do much...
Will have to watch what I eat being so sedentary now...I do (NOT) want to gain it all back. This is the lowest I have weighed for like seven years.
So far today just a bunch of coffee with low fat low sugar creamer, the fruit protein drink nutrisystem chili beans...very filling all that...
What I have got going for me...recent blood work:
I'm not diabetic, blood fat not so bad needs work but not so bad...
Yowbarb

That's So Great..Good for you!!!  And that averages just about 2 lbs a week, right?  So that's perfect!  Glad the bloodwork turned out good too.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2012, 10:36:19 PM »
24.15 is my total now, lost since Nov 14.
Lost less then a pound since I last reported; I guess it's been a couple days.
Not starving myself.
Still eating mainly nutrisystem. Son has made me a couple fruit berries and protein powder soymilk blender drinks past couple days.
Added prunes to my diet again.
After hysterectomy...found out I have to cut my activity down to about zero.
some things was trying to do cannot do not going to be able to do much...
Will have to watch what I eat being so sedentary now...I do (NOT) want to gain it all back. This is the lowest I have weighed for like seven years.
So far today just a bunch of coffee with low fat low sugar creamer, the fruit protein drink nutrisystem chili beans...very filling all that...
What I have got going for me...recent blood work:
I'm not diabetic, blood fat not so bad needs work but not so bad...
Yowbarb

That's So Great..Good for you!!!  And that averages just about 2 lbs a week, right?  So that's perfect!  Glad the bloodwork turned out good too.

Hi  ;)  calculated it to one and a half pounds a week...since Nov 14...
Now I have to try to keep the weight down and gradually lose more with a greaty reduced activity level...
Oh well, I will try,
Yowbarb

jrobert69

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2012, 08:29:09 AM »
Keeping it off isnt easy- you can do it!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2012, 01:52:55 PM »

Thanks for kind and inspiring words...it all helps.
So far so good; lost weight instead of gaining. Today I am past the 26 - pound mark.
26.15  Still having to be sedentary. Low - cal food stock is helping me...
I have a ways to go. Should get there by seven months or sooner if my metabolism revs up.  Cannot be getting on no exercise bicyle yet...post op.
Good Luck to All.
Barb T.

enlightenme

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2012, 04:38:24 AM »

Thanks for kind and inspiring words...it all helps.
So far so good; lost weight instead of gaining. Today I am past the 26 - pound mark.
26.15  Still having to be sedentary. Low - cal food stock is helping me...
I have a ways to go. Should get there by seven months or sooner if my metabolism revs up.  Cannot be getting on no exercise bicyle yet...post op.
Good Luck to All.

You really do have to be careful about exercising after surgery.  Not trying to make excuses for myself (well, atleast I'm telling myself that...lol), I know I had to curtail the exercise bit for quite some time after mine.  Everything I tried just hurt, and I'm not into unnecessary pain.  I know it has been a huge setback as far as weightloss goes.  I'm sure the Doc will know best, when you should resume normal exercise.  If I don't exercise in addition to watching what I eat, I just don't lose weight.  I guess the metabolism at this age just makes that a fact of life, atleast for me, anyway.
Barb T.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2012, 08:04:19 PM »
Thanks for the info and for the encouragement...Update hanging in fairly well no big weight gain...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 07:00:49 PM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2012, 03:42:41 PM »

You really do have to be careful about exercising after surgery.  Not trying to make excuses for myself (well, atleast I'm telling myself that...lol), I know I had to curtail the exercise bit for quite some time after mine.  Everything I tried just hurt, and I'm not into unnecessary pain.  I know it has been a huge setback as far as weightloss goes.  I'm sure the Doc will know best, when you should resume normal exercise.  If I don't exercise in addition to watching what I eat, I just don't lose weight.  I guess the metabolism at this age just makes that a fact of life, at least for me, anyway.

Enlightenme, I just wanted to say thanks again for your help and support, and as far as my recuperation I feel it is really valuable you actually said to slow down. I was overdoing it. I have applied the brakes, even.
The hardest thing for me to (not) do is bend down and put plates of food out for the catto girls or pet one on the head. (Baby Girl, Tiger, Gremlin, Yoda, Spot and Oreo.)  ;)

Now I am being really sedentery which I feel is a necessity will need to check with my doc...
Done taking out the (light bag) trash and sweeping which I was actually doing...
I don't seem to be able to really diet now...but even so, I am back to about a just about pound over my pre-surgery weight. Pre - surgery weight my lowest weight since I was dieting. Not sure if I had water weight or what. That's gone.

Well I wish luck to all those gals and guys who are post-op and want to be active and get the weight off but it isn't a good idea to even move around much yet. (Depends on the individual situation.)
Will be glad when I can confidently do whatever. I used to do a whole lot of chores and some walking. I do stroll around WalMart.
Found out then, I cannot even carry in a few lightweight bags in from the car, without feeling it later... but the leisurely (strolling) leaning on a shopping cart -doesn't seem to be a problem and gets my metabolism going at least a little bit. It helps me to not be so stir crazy too.  ;D

- Yowbarb
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 03:48:43 PM by Yowbarb »

enlightenme

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2012, 05:19:40 PM »
Yep, strolling around Walmart and pushing a cart sounds like great start-up exercise to me...just get somebody else to carry the bags!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2012, 03:36:22 PM »
Yep, strolling around Walmart and pushing a cart sounds like great start-up exercise to me...just get somebody else to carry the bags!
Yep! Learned me lesson,  ;)

jrobert69

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2012, 05:20:31 PM »
Post op sucks!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
Well I don't have anything too inspirational to share other than we all need to keep on trying to get stronger and fitter... I think some inexpensive home exercise equipment is one solution.
Cooking from scratch is not so easy for working people but a salad nightly or taking one to work really does help.
One time saver (not so cheap but not bad) chicken breast strips ready to lightly stir fry with a little sesame oil. Getting this stuff in bulk like from a discount store helps...
Veges: better to get some good frozen veges than to not eat any just because there is no time to do all the washing chopping etc. The oriental vegetable mixes are good. I got some Bragg Liquid Aminos at a health food store. I keep in by the stove it adds a lot off flavor and is delicious like a soysance maybe a little more flavorful.
When you do cook from scratch the miso is actually easy.
Chop up a bunch of carrots radishes onions, garlic and stir fry in good quality oil that is called a vegetable nituke. In a small bowl mix (by guess and by golly) the tahini and miso into a paste; drop it into a boiling pot of water. Add the stir vegetables, after lightly cooking them for like 20 minutes "Voila" you have soup. If you have some kind of seaweed you could put it in the soup or serve it on the side. I like the roasted seasoned seeweed you can get a big box of it at COSTCO. Korean.
I am heavily relying on inexpensive rice cakes from WalMart. That way I am not getting wheat gluten or yeasted bread. I can have the cakes with hummus, or miso and tahini mix, almond or peanut (or cashew) butter.
 Good with anything, applesauce, ghi, mollasses. I am starting to limit my "breads type foods" to things like the Essene or Manna, rice cakes, a few corn tortillas. The Esseme, manna, chapati etc. are all unyeasted breads.
- Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
I have found these substances handle the sweet tooth and don't seem to make me fat.
Applebutter, mollasses, carob powder date sugar, malt syrup, honey.
The mollasses is a great source of iron and other nutrition. It contains some B Vitamins which a person have a healthy head of hair...choline and inositol too.
PLS Note: Always rinse mouth after the mollasses. It is good for the body in general but it is h___ on the tooth enamel.
PLS Note: If you are diabetic or you could be pre-diabetic these types of sweeteners are better thanmany commonly found in our foods but even these need to be consumed with care. You probably want to monitor...to see what you can tolerate or not.
- Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2012, 07:16:17 AM »
I'm having a bit more luck with the weight loss again...adding in more complex carbs such as the aduki beans and natural grains and root veges (in the miso) etc.
Eliminated slightly the refined carbs and noticed a good result. Also got more sesame oil in the house which helps me stay away from the butter and margarine more...

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 04, 2012, 12:56:29 AM »
If I have plenty of the seasoned Korean (Nori) seaweed snacks around I am able to stay away from the refined carbs a bit more. I get a bulk box of it at COSTCO. Really think pieces of the seaweed seasoned -delish. Since I am a food addict it helps to have something like that around.

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!