Author Topic: solar battery charging  (Read 1986 times)

1969quartz0

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • View Profile
solar battery charging
« on: April 07, 2010, 02:18:41 PM »
This area should cover solar panels, what type is best for you, maintenance, setup where to get a good price per watt, how many watts do you need to charge your batteries. solar tracking systems etc. etc.

1969quartz0

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • View Profile
Re: solar battery charging
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
here is a load calculation chart.

The link is dead if I find another I will post it.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 07:43:32 PM by Nathan »

1969quartz0

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 12:20:39 PM »
The system I have bought for my off grid power is a SunnyBoy combined with a SunnyIsland using 240 watt Sharp panels you can buy them for less than 90 cents a watt plus shipping the shipping is what gets you they are heavy. You can also get a 30% Federal tax credit and some areas even get local credits on top of that, it can pay for itself in 2-4 years if you do it yourself.

ilinda

• stringers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 06:01:11 AM »
The system I have bought for my off grid power is a SunnyBoy combined with a SunnyIsland using 240 watt Sharp panels you can buy them for less than 90 cents a watt plus shipping the shipping is what gets you they are heavy. You can also get a 30% Federal tax credit and some areas even get local credits on top of that, it can pay for itself in 2-4 years if you do it yourself.
Is your system now up and running?  Do you have any AC capability at all, or is it totally DC?  Do you use CFL's or LED's for lighting?  Do you have a pole-mount, roof mount or ??  What would you do differently if you were buying new today?  Did you wire a cabin for solar or do you have wiring directly from panels leading inside to a "central hub" from which power is drwan?

Anxious to hear about others' solar setups, as my/our tiny system is getting closer to completion.

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!