Author Topic: generators to charge your DC systems  (Read 2335 times)

1969quartz0

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • View Profile
generators to charge your DC systems
« on: April 07, 2010, 02:42:18 PM »
This area should cover generators, should you use a AC generator and a battery charger or a old military DC generator, how to find or make fuel for gasoline engines and diesel engines there are more ways to find or make fuel then most people know, I know a few and would like to know more. ex. a gasifier,  or alcohol  for a gas engine, or waste vegetable oil, used trans fluid, used motor oil, kerosene, fuel oil, or a gasifier for diesel engines there are more, you could even cover steam here as well.

Lori

Re: generators to charge your DC systems
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 06:47:49 PM »
I watched a show and the host showed how to siphon gas out of tanks buried in the ground at gas stations when there is no power.

I'll have to try to find it and post the link here.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 06:52:33 PM by Lori »

Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 09:21:16 PM »
I go thru a lot of generators. I have found the cheaper Chinese made generators last as long, or longer than the USA made brands.
Generally when the China made ones have problems, it's simple things that could have been prevented with maintenance.
Keep the oil changed, filter the gas before filling the tank, spare pull cord, air filters (if needed), couple spark plugs, and keep bolts and nuts tightened.
All generators seem to get harder to start as the months and years go by, so if you buy one with an electric start and pull start, remove the battery and save it, and use the pull cord till the set gets hard to start, then use the electric starter. Makes life so much easier.

1969quartz0

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 05:50:43 PM »
Icon I have one Chinese generator a diesel Changfa with a 2000 watt gen. head I love it, but it would wake the neighbors at night 5 doors down, it is tough simple and runs great, for quite power I like my Yamaha EF2400IS inverter it sips fuel and is so quit, not that I would but you could have it under a table at a picnic and still talk in a normal voice. but my favorite for the future, it is not running yet (soon) is my $99.00 EBAY find a old military DC 2000 watt generator made in 1953 the gen. head is the starter and the generator you can vary the voltage and current it has a oil bath air cleaner big glass gauges the six horse Briggs engine is as big as a 25 horse today. you need a higher voltage to charge Nickle Iron batteries a 12 volt battery ten cell set should charge at 18.5 volts I hope it works out.

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 07:56:34 AM »
This just received by email:
http://www.teslasecret.com/?hop=dec212012

[start quote]
In your heart, you know there’s got to be a better way. A way to finally drive the electric company out from your home… and not pay another cent on electricity ever again.

For the first time in almost a century, the answer to free, unlimited energy is here. And no… it’s not solar panels… and you definitely won’t have to pay tens of thousands of dollars to use it.

In fact, this device is so easy to build… all it takes is $100 and a trip to the local electronics store to have everything you need to make your own!

But you won’t hear about it in mainstream media… and you won’t see it featured on TV.
It’s a secret so big… it had to be locked away for 90 years, for fear it might destroy the Big Energy establishment. The genius who invented it, Nikola Tesla, had to pay a dear price for having the “nerve” to take on the big players.
[end quote]

The e-book of instructions costs $47.  The video shows a DC generator (parts cost $2) charging a cell phone, but some of the testimonials mention running appliances, which require AC, of course.  The advertisement says that the parts cost less than $100, so could that amount cover a DC-AC inverter at appropriate voltage and current?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 08:45:27 AM by Jimfarmer »

Bill

• Members
  • Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 08:32:00 AM »
I have a hand pump that is made to go on a 55 gallon fuel barrel. I picked it up at an auction for 10 dollars. I'm able to put black well line on it to get me down to the tanks at gas stations. I haven't tested it at that depth but I think it will work.

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!