Author Topic: Healing plants, herbs and foods  (Read 17760 times)

Survival101

• View Profile
    • Lloyd Perry & Company
Re: Healing plants, herbs and foods
« Reply #105 on: March 21, 2013, 05:58:31 AM »

Ahh, great post and recipe... Thanks, Yowbarb...

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #106 on: March 21, 2013, 08:15:05 AM »
I recently suffered with a terrible sore throat, which lasted for several months, and progressively got worse to the point where I could not sleep at night. It turned out I had post nasal drip, why I do not know, never had anything like this ever before.

Finally after researching on the web, I started gargling several times a day with Apple Cider Vinegar and Honey, and miraculously after a couple of days the sore throat was almost completely healed.

Recipe:  3 tablespoons Apple Cider Honey  (I used the Braggs vinegar with the "mother" in it.)
              1 tablespoon honey
               1/4 cup of warm water.

If anyone has a cure for post nasal drip, I want to hear about it.  The pharmacist had nothing to recommend at all.  I have tried antihistamines to no avail.

Stir well, and gargle in small increments.  I did this several times a day.  Worked great!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 21, 2013, 09:25:32 AM »
I recently suffered with a terrible sore throat, which lasted for several months, and progressively got worse to the point where I could not sleep at night. It turned out I had post nasal drip, why I do not know, never had anything like this ever before.

Finally after researching on the web, I started gargling several times a day with Apple Cider Vinegar and Honey, and miraculously after a couple of days the sore throat was almost completely healed.

Recipe:  3 tablespoons Apple Cider Honey  (I used the Braggs vinegar with the "mother" in it.)
              1 tablespoon honey
               1/4 cup of warm water.

If anyone has a cure for post nasal drip, I want to hear about it.  The pharmacist had nothing to recommend at all.  I have tried antihistamines to no avail.

Stir well, and gargle in small increments.  I did this several times a day.  Worked great!

Endtimesgal  :) I am so glad this natural remedy worked so well for you!
I had not heard of this use of the apple cider and vinegar!
Since I have had this condition for decades -and - truth be told I take plenty of drugs for it...
this is really wonderful to know about. (It hits me seasonally and contributes to other problems.)
Thank you for posting this!
 :)
- Yowbarb

Survival101

• View Profile
    • Lloyd Perry & Company
« Reply #108 on: March 21, 2013, 09:30:33 AM »

1 tablespoon honey
               1/4 cup of warm water.

Endtimesgal_2012 - I have several documents that I would share with you that would address your sinuses/post nasal drip symptoms, I could email them to you...? If you could PM me and give me the contact info to send to you...

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #109 on: March 22, 2013, 11:26:32 AM »
Survival101:  I sent you a pm, look forward to hearing from you,

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 02, 2013, 04:00:27 PM »
Survival101:  I sent you a pm, look forward to hearing from you,

Endtimesgal thanks for your posts...
- Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 05, 2013, 03:32:05 PM »

I was very disappointed when Amazon wanted to sell the 'Black Cumin or Black Seed' for $20/lb. I thought, there should be better pricing than that...so, after a few inquiries, here is what I found. I've bought from Nuts.com before and usually had really good service and quality of product.

Black Caraway Seeds

Nuts.com - Order now, we'll ship today!

1. 1lb bag — $4.99$ = 4.99/lb
2. 5lb bag — $24.20 = $4.84/lb
3. 25lb case — $89.75 = $3.59/lb (bulk - not individually packaged)
Plus, shipping costs. (Reduced rates for 100# or more orders)

Quantity:123456789more...$4.99 Add to cart »See our bulk discounts

Certified: Kosher

Aromatic with a peppery bite, black caraway seeds are enjoyed as a spice in Egyptian, Indian, and Middle Eastern cuisines and is often used in spice blends, breads, and vegetable dishes.

Middle Easterners refer to black caraway seeds as "the blessed seed" because of its healing properties. Studies show that the spice may strengthen and stimulate the immune system and act as an anti-histamine, anti-tumor, anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory. Some recent studies even point to its ability to prevent some toxic side effects of cancer treatments and slow cancer growth.

King Tutankhamen's tomb contained black caraway oil, of paramount importance to the ancient Egyptians. Both Hippocrates and the Greek physician Dioskorides recommended black caraway extensively as a remedy, and it was also reputedly used by Cleopatra. It can be found in the Old Testament, where it's called "black seed." And the Prophet Muhammad underlined its therapeutic qualities, stating, "Hold on to use of the black seed, for it has a remedy for every illness, except death."

Yup, this 'seems' to be the right one...!

Survival101 thank you for your posts on black caraway...black seed.
I think this is what we are talking about...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigella_sativa

- Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 05, 2013, 03:34:48 PM »
In Russia these black seeds are called "chernushka."

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 06, 2013, 09:39:16 PM »
Yowbarb Note:
Excerpts from article

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/medicinal-properties-plantain 

Green Medicine Info - Medicinal properties of plantain.

Medicine
The leaves as well as the juice have been widely used as topical substances in poultices and lotions for treating sunburns, stings, insect bites, snakebites, poison ivy breakouts, rashes, burns, blisters, and cuts.

Furthermore, the leaves have also been heated and applied topically to swollen joints, sore muscles, sprains, and sore feet. Interestingly enough, Plantain is a common folk remedy in many part of Latin America for treating cancer. It has also been used for many centuries in treating sore throats, coughs, bronchitis, tuberculosis, and mouth sores.

Studies have shown that plantain has anti-inflammatory effects, and it is also rich in tannin (which helps draw tissues together to stop bleeding) and allantoin (a compound that promotes healing of injured skin cells). Further studies have indicated that plantain may also reduce blood pressure, and that the seeds of the plant may reduce blood cholesterol levels. Plantain seeds were also widely used as a natural laxative, given their high source of fibre. Teas made from the plant, were used to treat diarrhea, dysentery, intestinal worms, and bleeding mucous membranes. The roots were also recommended for relieving toothaches and headaches as well as healing poor gums.

Other Uses

It is believed that plantain tea was used as a hair rinse for presenting dandruff.  The rather strong fibres within the leaves were also used for making thread, fishing line and even cloth.
For first-hand scientific literature from the National Library of Medicine on plantain's medicinal properties in well over a dozen health conditions you can visit GreenMedInfo.com's Plantain Research page.

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/substance/plantain

« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 09:52:07 PM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 06, 2013, 09:42:59 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantago 

Plantago species have been used since prehistoric times as herbal remedies. The herb is astringent, anti-toxic, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, anti-histamine, as well as demulcent, expectorant, styptic and diuretic.[citation needed] Externally, a poultice of the leaves is useful for insect bites, poison-ivy rashes, minor sores, and boils. In folklore it is even claimed to be able to cure snakebite. Internally, it is used for coughs and bronchitis, as a tea, tincture, or syrup. The broad-leaved varieties are sometimes used as a leaf vegetable for salads, green sauce, et cetera.

Plantain seed husks expand and become mucilaginous when wet, especially those of P. psyllium, which is used in common over-the-counter bulk laxative and fiber supplement products such as Metamucil. P. psyllium seed is useful for constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, dietary fiber supplementation, and diverticular disease. Plantain has been consumed as human food since prehistory. For example, archaeological recovery along California's Central Coast has demonstrated use of this species as a food since the Millingstone Horizon.[2]

Psyllium supplements are typically used in powder form, along with adequate amounts of fluids. A dose of at least 7 grams daily taken with adequate amounts of fluid (water, juice) is used by some for management of elevated cholesterol. There are a number of psyllium products used for constipation. The usual dose is about 3.5 grams twice a day. Psyllium is also a component of several ready-to-eat cereals.

Mucilage from Desert Indianwheat (Plantago ovata) is obtained by grinding off the husk. This mucilage, also known as Psyllium, is commonly sold as Isabgol, a laxative which is used to control irregular bowel syndrome and constipation.[3] It has been used as an indigenous Ayurvedic and Unani medicine for a whole range of bowel problems.

As Old English Wegbrade the plantago is one of the nine plants invoked in the pagan Anglo-Saxon Nine Herbs Charm, recorded in the 10th century. In Serbia, Romania, and Bulgaria, leaves from Plantago major are used as a folk remedy to preventing infection on cuts and scratches because of its antiseptic properties. In Slovenia and other Central European regions, the leaves were traditionally used topically as a cure for blisters resulting from friction (such as caused by tight shoes etc.) and as relief on mosquito bites in eastern Westphalia as well as western Eastphalia.

There may also be a use for plantains in the abatement of enteric methane from ruminants,[4] as the natural compounds present (e.g. condensed tannins; ~14g/kg DM), affect the acetate-propionate ratio in the rumen which is a primary mechanism by which methanogenesis is restricted.[5] Currently this is not a viable option in any significant scale due to agronomic difficulties.

Species[edit]

The boundaries of the genus Plantago have been fairly stable, with the main question being whether to include Bougueria (one species from the Andes) and Littorella (2–3 species of aquatic plants).[6]

There are about 200 species of Plantago
[ Continues ]   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantago
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 09:47:45 PM by Yowbarb »

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #115 on: July 07, 2013, 08:58:56 AM »
I just finished reading a wonderful book written by Masaru Emoto, titled"  The True Power of Water.  In this book he discusses the amazing properties and abilities water has to affect us health wise, (and in many other ways as well.)

The premise of the book is that water responds to our thoughts and intentions.  In the book they have photographs of ice crystals they collected in a special process from waters in different parts of the world.  I had previously read a different book Emoto wrote on the subject, and it was fascinating to see how beautiful ice crystals form from some waters and no ice crystals at all or only really partially formed/deformed ice crystals form from polluted waters.

In this book he details how he has conducted scientific experiments on water by writing words or sayings on paper and taping them to a container of water, waiting a certain amount of time and then taking a sample and freezing it to examine the ice crystals or lack thereof. There are many pictures in the book which I found most interesting.

He has also created a machine which measures a person's "hado" which will tell him their physical or emotional status and then he treats water with a special process and has the patient drink it several times a day and it eventually either completely cures them or helps them a great deal.  There are others in this field, (of course, apparently not in the US, we do not recognize any other methods that are not mainstream, but there are others in other countries who are working on the same principles.

He suggests we write words, for instance, "Love and Gratitude" or other positive statements and tape them to a container of water, and even tape them in our shower's to correct the water and infuse it with helpful properties.  I know it sounds farfetched, but he has had very positive measurable results. 

He also discusses how music affects water crystals.  Uplifting music forms wonderful crystals, acid rock and other such music has a negative effect on the crystals.  He concludes that many things can affect the water we drink or that aquatic life live in and we need to pay attention and be concerned about it.

I found myself pondering  how little we really know about our world, and how much we take such a simple thing as water, of which we ourselves are composed of by at least 70%, for granted, not realizing how really powerful and amazing this essential substance is to our well being and even survival.  When one realizes that one can go a long time without food, but only a few days without water, it only seems imperative that we pay closer attention to this wonderful liquid we take so much for granted.

It is a very interesting and thought provoking book, I highly recommend it.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 07, 2013, 02:29:10 PM »
Endtimesgal thanks for that wonderful post! I just learned some new things. A few years ago my only son Wes told me he had read about the water...I am sure now that is who he read. (Masaru Emoto.)
I didn't get the full story... Really good info to have and truly inspirational.

pbutter72

• Global Moderator
  • ...just Breathe...
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 04, 2013, 10:06:24 PM »
Hi Everyone!

I'd like to add to this great thread!

15 houseplants to improve indoor air quality which includes:
  • Aloe (Aloe vera)
  • Spider plant (Chlorophytum comosum)
  • Gerber daisy (Gerbera jamesonii)
  • Mother-in-law's tongue (Sansevieria trifasciata 'Laurentii')
  • Golden pothos (Scindapsus aures)

Rest of the article is found in the link below:
http://www.mnn.com/health/healthy-spaces/stories/15-houseplants-to-improve-indoor-air-quality

~pB
“Perceive that which cannot be seen with the eye.”
― Miyamoto Musashi  (1584 –1645)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 10, 2013, 07:10:17 AM »
Pbutter, awesome info to have! A lot of homes really do have indoor pollution, so having these plants would be a great idea.

bk

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 18, 2014, 06:40:38 AM »
An article on growing your own medicine

Grow Your Own Medicinal Herbs

Herbs have been used for thousands of years as a medicine to help your body heal naturally and effectively. Herbs such as Borage, Yarrow, Cayenne and more can be used to treat infections, fight blood loss, treat sickness and more.Check out this list of common herbs that you might use to help you in an emergency.

http://www.thereadystore.com/diy/6889/grow-your-own-medicinal-herbs/?utm_source=rne_thursday_20140116b--google--organic&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=thursday--promotion--sf_sale_january&utm_content=2post_promotion_btn-grow_medicinal_herbs&trk_msg=5QQS5RGSDN04TB0KS4KLGELHTC&trk_contact=T8U4UKNVGRVIM2H073MBUB0NG0

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!