Author Topic: Natural Disaster List 2012 - 2013  (Read 7283 times)

nigelblondon

Natural Disaster List 2012 - 2013
« on: April 11, 2012, 06:26:15 AM »
Not sure if this has been posted before, apologies if it has. I leave Barb to move this as appropriate. Thanks in advance.

Here is a list of natural disasters that have occurred in the world so far in 2012. It is certainly an eye opener. So many in such a short time. I leave you to draw your own conclusions as to why.

http://disaster-report.blogspot.co.uk/

Sunnybug

• Celeste of Phoenix
  • Members
  • Prolific Member
    • View Profile
    • n/a
Re: Natural Disaster List 2012 - 2013
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 02:53:53 PM »
That is freaky!! :o :o :o

I'll have to see if I can find our local one and see if they are doing the same. Don't feel anything here in Phoenix

Something is going on - wish I knew what it was...I've just had this feeling for awhile that things are....well like something is going on and I just can't see it, or touch it. Hard to explain

Thanks for the heads up!
Never Give UP! EVER

Sunnybug

• Celeste of Phoenix
  • Members
  • Prolific Member
    • View Profile
    • n/a
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 04:43:56 PM »
errrv, hard to say - I did finally did find some Arizona graphs, and while the activity is certainly interesting it's not off the chart like the usgs graphs. We get more shaking from the overhead airforce jets coming in and out of Luke AFB then anything.  Sometimes I have a headache and sometimes I don't and my balance is sometimes a little funky. Something doesn't feel right and I just can't define it. To be honest, I don't think this is over yet. This date doesn't seem to match any predictions that I know of. All I can say is that something is going on...but we knew that anyway didn't we. Mother Earth is a shaking!!
Sunny
Never Give UP! EVER

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 10:18:23 PM »
Not sure if this has been posted before, apologies if it has. I leave Barb to move this as appropriate. Thanks in advance.

Here is a list of natural disasters that have occurred in the world so far in 2012. It is certainly an eye opener. So many in such a short time. I leave you to draw your own conclusions as to why.

http://disaster-report.blogspot.co.uk/

Nigel thanks for posting this...
Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 12:27:10 PM »

Natural Disasters List August 24, 2012
http://www.disaster-report.com/   Disaster Report 2012

Update:
5:18 AM  Cyclone, Earthquake, Flood, Natural disaster, natural disasters 2012, recent natural disasters, Volcano, wildfire 

READ MORE  http://www.disaster-report.com/2012/08/recent-natural-disasters-list-august-24-2012.html

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 07:29:51 AM »
Long overdue update. The problem with this link it doesn't seem to post a coherent complete list. There are many links within the page with individual countries...lots of info but not seeing a complete list...
- Yowbarb

http://www.disaster-report.com/search/label/natural%20disasters%202012

enlightenme

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 08:23:37 AM »
Thanks for the update Barb!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 12:55:57 PM »
Thanks for the update Barb!
Well, I'm trying, but the site doesn't seem to be presenting coherent lists, or something you can look at and see exactly - but here is one thing,
Yowbarb

http://www.disaster-report.com/search/label/natural%20disasters%202012

"2012 saw many natural disasters across the globe. Hurricane Sandy was one of the most prominent disasters of the year in the U.S. which killed at least 125 people and caused damage of $62 billions. Most of the United States was hit by extreme weather. Researchers say that the 2012 drought is the worst since 1988. Major earthquakes struck in Italy, the Philippines, Iran, and Afghanistan. The Philippines were also slammed by Typhoon Bopha, which killed more than 1,000 people.
Let's see what the world’s natural disasters have in store for us in 2013."

enlightenme

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 04:34:47 AM »
A bit of a recap of the millions of people effected by disasters during 2012. 

News
Natural Disasters Uprooted 32 Million in 2012

weather.com

More than 32 million people – a number that nearly equals the entire population of California – were forced to flee their homes last year due to natural disasters such as floods, storms and earthquakes, according to a report released today.

Disasters affected countries rich and poor, notes the study issued May 13 by the Geneva, Switzerland-based Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre. While Asia and Africa were hit hardest, the report notes, some 1.3 million people were displaced in wealthy nations, especially the United States.

Nearly all of those uprooted by disaster (98 percent, according to the report) were displaced by climate- and weather-related events. Floods in India and Nigeria were responsible for 41 percent of displacement worldwide in 2012. Monsoon floods in India uprooted about 6.9 million people, while in Nigeria some 6.1 million were newly displaced.

play Video (See Video at link be
The impact of natural disasters on countries like these is often multiplied by ongoing armed conflict, noted Clare Spurrell, IDMC's chief spokesperson.

"Here, vulnerability to disaster triggered by floods is frequently further compounded by hunger, poverty and violence, resulting in a perfect storm of risk factors that lead to displacement," she said.

Last year, the U.S. was among the 10 countries that experienced the most new displacement, the reported noted. Still, people in poorer countries remain disproportionately affected, as they make up some 98 percent of those displaced around the world over the past 5 years.

"In the U.S. following Hurricane Sandy, most of those displaced were able to find refuge in adequate temporary shelter while displaced from their own homes," said Spurrell.

"compare this to communities in Haiti, where hundreds of thousands are still living in makeshift tents over three years after the 2010 earthquake mega-disaster, and you see a very different picture."

Climate change is believed to play an increasingly significant role in global disasters, the report notes, adding that the 2012 Special Report from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change found evidence to support that, "disasters associated with climate extremes influence population mobility and relocation, affecting host and origin communities."

http://www.weather.com/news/32-million-displaced-climate-weather-20130513

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!