Author Topic: Defending Your Home  (Read 1864 times)

JKB

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
    • View Profile
Defending Your Home
« on: May 12, 2012, 11:48:06 AM »
You know, one would think we would have dissected this by now...  As for me, I think that I have spent so much time and energy thinking about all of the "things" I need and how I am going to acquire them that one of the most obvious things has escaped me.  In a worst case scenario, TSHTF, I don't have time to bug out, and it is chaos on the streets.  Gangs are roving house-to-house, taking what they want and leaving everything behind them in ruins... What good is a ton of guns and ammo going to do if I don't have a solid plan as to how exactly I am going to defend this house?

I am embarrassed to admit that I have only been thinking about this scenario for a month or so.  I have always planned on being on the road, getting my family to our safe place, and not pinned down in my own house.  So, what am I going to do if it comes down to that?

Well, I came up with a plan, based on the worst case scenario; it is me and my wife and we can't leave our house.  My wife is good with a pistol but she is scared to death of the shotgun, and, quite frankly, she is a civilian.  I can't expect her to react like she is in the military, no matter how much we talk about it. 

I live in a two-story house that is in a housing community with only one entrance, but not gated.  My house is on the corner of a loop and a dead-end street.  There are 8 houses on that dead-end street, 4 on each side, but I am front and center at the entrance to that dead-end street, which makes me vulnerable.  The way I figured, I have to concede the ground floor, there's just too many windows and entrance points for two people to defend.  Not happening, unless I had about four buddies over, then it would be a different story.

At any rate, I digress...  I don't have four buddies over, it's just me and my wife.  My plan was to put her in the upstairs bathroom window  which faces the curve in the road and the entrance to our street.  Small target...  Would be hard to hit from the street...  Would serve as a good deterrant to not come down this street...

I was going to post myself on the master bedroom balcony because it covers the back side of the house and I have a view of the whole neighborhood.  I could snipe, rein down fire with the shotty, or use small arms to cover the back side of the house.  Sound like a good plan?  I thought so.

I had a friend of mine over the other day who is in the infantry and a combat vet.   He is also a member of this TH.  I was sharing my plan with him and he had some solid advice...  Turns out, my plan was 75% correct.

He totally agreed that the first floor is undefendable by my wife and I.  He totally agreed with putting her in the bathroom window.  He totally disagreed with me posting myself on the upstairs balcony.  Too much area for one person to cover...  270 degrees of open space is too much for any one person to cover and would be easy to overrun.  No doubt, I would take some with me, but I would fall sooner or later.

His advice was simple and I felt stupid for not thinking of it myself.  The staircase...  If we are going to concede the ground floor then that is the one choke point they will have to come through to get to us.  There is a spot I can stand and shoot people all day long and no one can get to me.  With what we have in this house, no amount of ordinary armed gang members could ever get up that stairway.

I know this sounds barbaric and gruesome and I hope it never comes to this.  However, I feel a whole lot better knowing I have a rock solid plan on how I will defend this house if it comes to it.  Maybe I am the last one to think about this, which would be embarrassing, but if you haven't thought about it, maybe you should and I hope this will help.

You have to let it all go Neo.  Fear, doubt, and disbelief...  Free your mind.

Survival101

• View Profile
    • Lloyd Perry & Company
Re: Defending Your Home
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 01:27:07 PM »

Ok, I totally agree about assessing our situation/environment(s) and re-assessing them as things change. Much easier to calmly notice the weaknesses/flaws in something, rather than waiting until the 'heat' of things to realize something is seriously wrong...

Now, not knowing all the variables here, but if the 'choke point' is your upper-story staircase, it's not of value to you unless/until you let someone take advantage of your giving up control/security of the downstairs level. I personally, am not comfortable with that. It's too much, to quick. I'd rather, as you were previously thinking, keep them at bay a little longer, maybe concede back to the stairway. And, Yes, you would be the 'popular' target to dispatch first. Again, in my thinking, once anyone was able to get into (or even close to) the downstairs, they could burn/smoke you out or even if you chose to stay upstairs, either way you'd die...

Do you have any nearby neighbors that you could team up with to divide up and provide crosscover with...??? None of us can do all of this alone, we have to work together...

JKB

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 04:29:28 PM »
I appreciate your thought on this and it is the only reason I posted it; to get people to start thinking about it.   I am a huge fan of darkness and invisibilitly.  I see better in the dark.  Places are so easier to hit in the dark.  It is better to fight darkness with darkness.  Sometimes you have to crawl in the gutter if you want to catch a snake. They are going to try and hit you in the dark.  They aren't going to be so well equiped as to burn your house down.  They want to break in and as soon as they encounter some resistence, they will tuck tail and leave...  I pretty much gurantee it....  It's not going to last that long , friends.

You have to let it all go Neo.  Fear, doubt, and disbelief...  Free your mind.

Survival101

• View Profile
    • Lloyd Perry & Company
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 12:40:21 PM »
When the 'times' come and in the 1st 60 days, people will become increasingly desperate, they will do many times 'impossible' things in their desperation. They are also not going to act rational or can you trust/predict what they will do next. A confrontation will last as long as it lasts. After starvation, illness and disease, has thinned those that hadn't prepared, it should calm a bit.

Until, the real moment comes, we won't actually know what will happen, my 'guides' have told me and thru my 'remembering my future' dreams, that it will be more horrendous than anyone could imagine. If that is true, those without will do anything to take away from those that have and that are in their way. I'm all for charity and helping 'other's/outsiders', I also believe 'other's/outsiders' need to help themselves.

We won't want to have 'other's/outsiders' knowing how much stores/supplies are held in the group/community when we are sharing, either. Even for us and our preparations, I expect we too, will have many challenges...we also need to interview our group 'invites' carefully and select well, as there will be a lot long, hard work ahead and everyone will have to do more than just their share.

MrMexBiker

• Trusted Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 12:33:10 PM »
Indefenseable. Your home can be burned down. You can go with it or be shot coming out.

Willsorr75

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 02:20:30 PM »
I agree with Survival101, I would try to keep them away from the house as much as possible first, then resort to the stairwell if needed. The closer they get to your house the better chance they have to burn it down. With a shotgun you should be able to cause enough pain from a distance to curve their desire to come closer. Plus, at good distance you might be able to hit more than one invader. I doubt you'll kill them, but they'll realize soon the pain isn't worth it. Plus if they try to out last you after they've been shot, their wounds will fester and make them weaker..
Stay informed, information is our first line of defense!
-Will

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 12:22:24 PM »
Yowbarb Note: I just saw this link on the Survivalist Forum where I just re-joined.
Here it is:

http://www.wikiarms.com/?utm_source=Tactical+Republic&utm_medium=Banner&utm_campaign=Tactical+Republic 

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 12:10:35 AM »
Jim Cobb author of:

Prepper's Home Defense: Security Strategies to Protect Your Family by Any Means Necessary

•   Jim Cobb http://survivalweekly.com/ http://disasterprepconsultants.com/

Next post will have several screen captures from his presentation at the Survival Summit, called

Fortifying Your Home & Property Against Looters

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 02:01:13 AM »
Jim Cobb author of:

Prepper's Home Defense: Security Strategies to Protect Your Family by Any Means Necessary

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 02:09:37 AM »
Last few images from the presentation, Fortifying Your Home & Property Against Looters

comtinuing

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!