Author Topic: Healing Ingredients  (Read 14928 times)

Linda

• Prolific Member
Re: Healing Ingredients
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 04:59:25 PM »
Great info on the baking soda, I am one of those who swear by it for acid indigestion, and occasionally use it in place of toothpaste. I use the flax oil sometimes in smoothies and also make flax seed crackers, they are great snacks. Flax oil and fish oils are both good for joints. Good info Nathan.

Linda
Linda :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2010, 06:07:06 AM »
Great info on the baking soda, I am one of those who swear by it for acid indigestion, and occasionally use it in place of toothpaste. I use the flax oil sometimes in smoothies and also make flax seed crackers, they are great snacks. Flax oil and fish oils are both good for joints. Good info Nathan.

Linda

Linda thanks for that info - I probably need to up my intake of these oils...
Yowbarb   8)

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2010, 04:29:51 PM »
Hawthorn: The Heart Healer
by Candace Hunter and Sue Sierralupe

hawthorn berriesHawthorn, Crataegus species, a.k.a. Mayhaw and Thornapple.

Hawthorn loves the heart. It lowers high blood pressure and raises low blood pressure. Hawthorn, like other tonics, focuses on stabilizing the existing system to achieve a healthy balance. Happily, this tree grows all over Eurasia and the Americas and has hundreds of species that are adapted to their native climate. This makes hawthorn easy to use and easy to grow.
Medicinal Properties and Actions of Hawthorn

Hawthorn is the heart tonic. It is full of complex flavonoids that work together to support the circulatory system. An an adaptogen, it is best to allow hawthorn several weeks to several months to adjust a damaged system. Hawthorn works well with other tonic herbs and strengthens their effect on the body.

Hawthorn also has bitter alkaloids especially in the leaves and flowers which stabilize the digestive system as well as the heart. The presence of catechins in hawthorn gives this plant an astringent effect that can be detected even in a weak cup of hawthorn tea.
Conditions Best Helped by Hawthorn

As a cardiovascular tonic, hawthorn is invaluable for a variety of conditions. It is added to a variety of herbal formulas to help the body process other herbs through the circulatory system. Patients with concerns about dangers to their heart and circulatory system can benefit from daily doses of hawthorn in a variety of forms.

Hawthorn has a positive inotropic effect on the heart similar to cardiac glycosides while reducing arrhythmia. This translates into a safe herb to use to prevent palpitations due to stress.

Hypertension is a common malady in modern life. High blood pressure or low blood pressure are dangerous symptoms that often lead to life threatening conditions. Hawthorn is a smart addition to a change in lifestyle that reduces such danger. Hawthorn has the ability as a tonic to lower high blood pressure or raise low blood pressure as the body requires.

Since hawthorn works so well on the circulatory system, it should be no surprise that it also tones capillaries in other parts of the body. Bloodshot eyes, glaucoma, varicose veins and hemorrhoids are all soothed by including hawthorn in the treatment plan.

Hawthorn is still under the researcher's microscope. It's currently being studied for its success in treating leukemia. The rutins in hawthorn have been shown to eliminate leukenmia cells in laboratory tests. It is also being studied for its effect on controlling lupus.

http://www.thepracticalherbalist.com/component/content/article/40-herbal-compendium/124-hawthorn-the-heart-healer.html?directory=103 for more info

If you want to make your own tincture here is a link. http://www.herbalremediesinfo.com/tinctures.html

Linda

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2010, 11:35:24 PM »
Linda this really sounds like a good addition to the survival zone garden/inside garden too.
I have imagined that the crossover of PX could be extremely fatiguing and so stressul to many people that they will not survive even if they are inside a safe place... the strengthening effects of Hawthorne - sounds like something to have around. Have used herbs successfully never got into tinctures -really need to learn how to do those...
Yowbarb

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2010, 05:36:27 AM »
Hi Barb, I have made a few tinctures, and some concoctions such as homemade cough syrup. Making tinctures would be a could thing to learn for sure.

Linda

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2010, 03:52:28 PM »
Linda the hawthorn berriesHawthorn, Crataegus species, a.k.a. Mayhaw and Thornapple. info. sounds great I sent it to my father with links to look at, he just had heart surgery I hope he starts using it he is more stubborn then I am he trusts the medical system to much, I will try to order some soon.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2010, 06:06:08 PM »
Linda the hawthorn berriesHawthorn, Crataegus species, a.k.a. Mayhaw and Thornapple. info. sounds great I sent it to my father with links to look at, he just had heart surgery I hope he starts using it he is more stubborn then I am he trusts the medical system to much, I will try to order some soon.

1969Quartz0  I wish you all the luck in helping your father.
I wish regular medical practice and homeopathic, preventative etc. could all merge. If it works it works.
Not so hard for the medical establishment to use both; to figure out if there is a contraindication or issue
with mixing meds and herbs.
The docs arent't trained in these for the most part, so they don't even try. It's like throwing the baby out with the bathwater just because some herbs don't go with some medicines... Patients need to find out...
A suggestion: If any question call a pharmacist. Make sure he is a trained pharmacist. They know their stuff. Tou can ask about any possible interactions...or even look it up online first and zero in on a specific question..
Here is one page I found. Follow arrows, several entries. This is the second arrow, drug interactions etc.

http://www.medicinenet.com/hawthorn_crataegus_laevigata-oral/page2.htm  It is possible to sort through itand/or ask doc, pharmacist.
I know just a little about drug and herb interactions. For example I was on a bp med for awhile and I couldn't use grapefruit juice with it.  Also I am on colchicine and a couple antibiotics I don't take and don't drink much at all with it. Sometimes if I figure I will have a drink as in a social occasion I will go off the colchicine for a day or two. I figured that out but that is rare. 
All The Best,
Yowbarb
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 06:13:40 PM by Yowbarb »

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2010, 06:21:40 PM »
Thanks my Father was 62 when he had his surgery, his older brother was 62 when he had a quad bypass and their father died of a heart attack at 50.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2010, 09:39:01 PM »
1969quart0 I can relate to that...my great uncle had a stroke in his early fifties - that was fairly common
in those days - he lived on a long time but never regained full use of one of his hands and he limped.
My parents were fortunate enough to be on some pretty good heart and bp drugs, my mother got a pacemaker - they were both in fairly good shape a long time. Mom made it to 90 my Dad was nearly 87.
The main culprit in our family was the blood fat - but some of them were able to counteract it with meds...
Some family members also take sloniacin, fish liver oil, etc. My parents took COQ10 their whole lives...
I take 100 mg a day rarely miss it...

- Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2010, 10:08:15 PM »
BTW I very strongly recommend COQ10 - Coenzyme Q10. It is not hard to find - even big drug stores,
over the counter.. It has strongly regenerative properties, since this coenzyme is found in every living cell unless it is a very damaged diseased cell. COQ10 turns the clock back. It helps with the heart, lungs, teeth and gums... anti aging.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coenzyme_Q10#Heart_failure

Excerpts and in my own words:
Coenzyme Q10 ............................abbreviated at times to CoQ10 (pronounced "ko-cue-ten"), CoQ, Q10, or Q) .....
This oil-soluble substance is present in most [cells with nuclei] It is part of the process which generates energy (life itself) in the cells... those organs with the highest energy requirements

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2010, 05:38:00 AM »
Barb I see you take colchicine , my son takes that for gout. He started having gout attacks in his teens. We have discovered through research that high frutose corn syrup is a big culprit in aggravating and causings attacks of gout. http://healthinmotion.wordpress.com/2008/03/03/sweet-drinks-blamed-for-surge-in-gout/ Gout is also genetic.
He was a big soda drinker before, and now avoids as much high frutose corn syrup as he can, the attacks have subsided a great deal, but he takes colchicine when he feels one coming on and it stops the attacks.
The sad thing about high frutose corn syrup is it is put in so many foods, so you have to avoid almost all processed foods to avoid the culprit. It is a very destructive additive.

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2010, 05:55:53 AM »
Nathan, sorry to hear about your father, hope he does well. I know it's hard to get family to accept suggestions, especially parents. And the older generation tends to still put total faith in their Dr. I like Barb wish they would bring together natural and mainstream medicine.

My daughter tuned me in to the hawthorn for heart health because her boyfriend is in is early 40"s and concerned about his heart. His father and uncle both died in their early 50's from heart attacks, so being a herbalist she is working to find ways to help him.

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2010, 11:33:29 AM »
Thanks I have not given up hope yet, he will be in Michigan in a few weeks they travel a lot they spend the summer in Michigan then go to Iowa then Montana then Utah for the senior Olympics then Arizona for the winter then back again, so I will have a few months to work on him soon.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2010, 06:10:39 AM »
Barb I see you take colchicine , my son takes that for gout. He started having gout attacks in his teens. We have discovered through research that high frutose corn syrup is a big culprit in aggravating and causings attacks of gout. http://healthinmotion.wordpress.com/2008/03/03/sweet-drinks-blamed-for-surge-in-gout/ Gout is also genetic.
He was a big soda drinker before, and now avoids as much high frutose corn syrup as he can, the attacks have subsided a great deal, but he takes colchicine when he feels one coming on and it stops the attacks.
The sad thing about high fructose corn syrup is it is put in so many foods, so you have to avoid almost all processed foods to avoid the culprit. It is a very destructive additive.

Linda, I hope your son continues to do fairly well by watching his diet and taking colchicine only with gout flareups...
I don't know how to take it for that. For FMF if people do better with colchicine, and can tolerate it well, they stay on it for life.
True,  things in the diet can flare up gout...
To my knowledge: Colchicine only has two uses - gout and FMF. Will post more about colchicine in another Topic...

Totally agree it is important to be aware of diet and the food triggers. Oh, do you feel any refined carb could flare up the gout?
I think regular white sugar is better than the high fructuse corn syrup...
Probably the GM flours etc make things worse too...
Thanks for the good ideas,

All The Best,
Yowbarb
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 06:47:11 AM by Yowbarb »

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2010, 07:53:26 AM »
Barb, I had not heard of FMF before so looked it up, not a pleasant thing to have to deal with. They find that losing weight and avoiding most processed foods plus cutting down on beef products helps with the gout problems. But in gout a person just gets build up of uric acid in their joints. My son's always starts in his big toes and proceeds to his ankles, he gets so bad he cannot walk on his feet, they manage to swell up to twice their normal size.

Most heath issues respond to a clean diet (no processed foods, as they say "if mother nature didn't make it, don't eat it".  :) If only we could all stick to that!

Linda