Author Topic: Survival seed packs.  (Read 3467 times)

Icon

Survival seed packs.
« on: April 20, 2010, 12:12:51 PM »
One thing I do with my seeds, is separate them into classes of species in my survival seed packs.
If you buy a seed survival pack, you will probably get several varieties of the same species.
Now, if you have a small garden space, you don't want to plant the same species close to each other, as they will cross pollinate. You don't want melons that taste like cucumbers. Some require 150 feet distance between them.
And you will probably have more seeds than you can plant anyway if your space is small.
So I separate my seeds into 2-3 survival packs, with a few of each class of seeds in each pack. That is if you get two different melons, put one in each survival pack. The same goes for the other seeds of the same class.
In my last order, I received 4 different beans, 4 melons, 2 tomatoes, two corn etc, so in each pack I have a couple of beans, melons, green leafy vegetables, 1 tomatoes, 1 corn etc.
Those that I do have of the same species, are ones that won't really matter if they cross pollinate.
And if one survival packs fails, you have a backup until you can get your garden to producing.
An if you still have more seeds than what you think you can plant, half the seeds and make four survival packs.
Just a little food for thought.

Linda

• Prolific Member
Re: Survival seed packs.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 01:21:02 PM »
Icon, what do you store your survival seeds in? I know you have to keep them from moisture and such.

Thanks,
Linda
Linda :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 09:14:40 PM »
I store mine in 4-6 PVC pipe and seal the ends. I don't have a freezer, and my fridge is opened an closed all the time which is not good for seeds. They need to remain cool and the same temp most of the time.
So... I bury mine in the ground, about 2 feet deep. This is not as cold as I would like, but works for about 5 years... at least they have still sprouted after 5 years.
I generally replace them now every two years, an give the old ones away if I don't plant them.
Most everything I plant is eaten by deer an rabbits.
As close as we are to 2012, I may buy another seed pack later this year, tho I will buy individual seeds an get what I really want, instead of a lot of seeds I may never use.

Ryan

• Members
  • Trusted Member
  • What matters most is how you see yourself
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 09:20:28 PM »
Icon the PVC pipe is so great for a lot of things especially underground storage. I hear Surplus ammo cases/boxes are good too.
But as far as your "survival seed packs" go, what are these actual seed packets you speak of made out of? Are they letter envelopes, brown paper packets, or something else?
Thanks,
Ryan
"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending" - Maria Robinson

Icon

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 09:43:31 PM »
They are in brown paper packs. If they come in something else, I generally put them in brown paper bags like might be used for lunches.
I don't really care for paper like store seeds come in. Not that it hurts anything, but the the ink and other chemicals in the paper, I try to stay away from.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 08:33:32 AM »
ICON thanks again for the info on seed packs,
Yowbarb

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 10:39:56 AM »
The seeds I have purchased come in vacuum sealed packs. But I like Icon's idea of the pvc pipe with caps, too.  ed

augonit

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 02:14:23 PM »
I might try the PVC idea.  I've only stored my seeds in the original envelopes they came in.