Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: Avoid giving kids the foods known to cause choking - while bugging out, etc.  (Read 9355 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Yowbarb Note:
I am sure everyone reading here is very careful with their children, grandchildren, children of the people who may be in their survival groups.
I am bringing up choking as a safety issue (for now) and for possible future days of travel, stress, hurried meals, snacks in backpacks, earthquakes or other stressors, or other events. During those events, with physical and emotional stresses and dangers, IMHO we must be even more careful about choking. Every day in the US 34 children choke on their food. There could be a time when it is not so easy to get a child to the ER, due to some event. Learn the Heimlich Maneuver and avoid foods which are known to be dangerous, especially in situations of travel, running away, earth changes emergencies, or in the shelter, etc. In our family my second oldest daughter came home from school and taught us all the Heimlich maneuver. Since that time I have used it on at least three of my five kids, used it on myself when alone, had it done on me at least three times. My adult son used it to save a boy in a restaurant who had been happily talking and laughing and gobbling down his hamburger. I have even used it to save our neighbor's Siamese cat who was choking on our back lawn...chicken bone...so we know about the Heimlich. The idea is though to avoid those choking hazard foods especially when going through major changes. Oh yes we were drinking those sweet liquid things in plastic and it melted too fast and we were walking to town. The sweetness and stickiness completely closed off my windpipe. I was sure I would die right there, in a rural area, far from the main street. My paragraph continues below this illustration.

So I was choking badly and could not get even a little air. My third oldest daughter Jessica, only about 9 years old, did the Heimlich maneuver on me. The whacking on back between shoulder blades caused my windpipe to open up and I could breathe!  I do (not) recommend this overly sweet treat because if it melts too fast it is so sweet and sticky... !!
- Yowbarb
PLS NOTE:  " “The hot dog is the perfect size to block the airways, in a young child, so that's why those are much more dangerous foods to give to a child."
http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2013/07/29/should-there-be-choking-warning-labels-on-food/

Should there be choking warning labels on food?
July 29th, 2013

12:01 AM ET
Choking is a leading cause of injury in children, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics, especially those four years and younger. Although the number of choking incidents involving toys and toy parts has gone down in the last 20 years due to manufacturer and federal government warnings, the number of food-choking cases in youngsters is still high.

"We have done a great job in this country (of) preventing choking in children on toys, " says Dr. Gary Smith, co-author of a new study on choking injuries and a professor of pediatrics at The Ohio State University College of Medicine. “Since the 1990s we've had laws and regulations, systems where we can monitor these injuries when they happen. We have no such systems in place currently for food."

The Research Institute at Nationwide Children's Hospital in Columbus, Ohio, reviewed thousands of statistics on children who had choking-related emergency room visits between 2001 to 2009. The study authors found that an average of 12,400 children under the age of 15 were treated for non-fatal, food-related choking each year, which equals about 34 children per day.

According to the Pediatrics study, foods that caused the most choking incidents were hard candy, meats and bones. High-risk foods, including hot dogs, seeds and nuts, were more likely to require hospitalizations.

“That's because hot dogs, nuts and seeds are hard to chew," noted Smith. “The hot dog is the perfect size to block the airways, in a young child, so that's why those are much more dangerous foods to give to a child."

More than 60% of the choking episodes happened in children 4 years of age and younger, according to the study. Choking incidents decreased as a child got older. After the age of 7 the number of cases remained relatively unchanged through age 14.

Parents need to keep in mind the age of their children when giving them certain foods, the study authors warned, especially when it comes to newborns. There has always been discussion on when to start a baby on solid foods. Dr. Jennifer Shu, a pediatrician with the Children's Medical Group, in Atlanta, Georgia, says 4 months is a good starting point.

“Before 4 months, foods can be a choking hazard." says Shu. "But if you wait much longer than 7 or 8 months then babies get really used to full liquid diet and may have a harder time adjusting to thicker textures.”

Child experts note parents and caregivers should be aware of food choking prevention recommendations and guidelines. The AAP recommends children younger than 5 years of age should not be given hard candies or gum, and raw veggies and fruits should be cut into little pieces. Young children should be supervised while eating and should eat sitting down.

In order to cut down food on related choking incidents, the study authors recommend placing warning labels on foods that pose a high choking risk for babies and children. They also believe a public awareness campaign should be designed to educate parents about the dangers of food-related choking among little ones.

Post by: Val Wadas-Willingham - CNN Medical Producer   
Filed under: Adolescent Health • Children's Health • Diet and Fitness 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 09:51:10 AM by Yowbarb »

NativeMom72

• Global Moderator
  • ...just Breathe...
Hello Everyone!

I do not know if this was posted elsewhere, but here is some quick references on how to rescue an infant from choking and how to give infant CPR.

How to rescue a choking infant/small child:

Infant (conscious) CPR - Choking video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5FFBSh366E

Goodness forbid if you need to perform CPR on an Infant/Small child, here is some information that would prove useful:

Infant (unconscious) CPR poster for printout

http://chopsybaby.com/magazine/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/First_Aid_Cut_Out_And_Keep_Poster.jpg

Infant (unconscious) CPR video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2pZt_VYOMw

~pB
“Perceive that which cannot be seen with the eye.”
― Miyamoto Musashi  (1584 –1645)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Pbutter, thanks for posting that info. I had not seen that article or instructions before!
So important to know...especially in survival situation where there is already so much rushing, confusion...

Blessings and thanks

NativeMom72

• Global Moderator
  • ...just Breathe...
Hi Barb!

Yes, I do think it is worth taking classes in Child/ Adult First Aid and CPR because you get a little hands-on instruction, which helps. These are the kinds of things that are good to know but hope you never have to use.

Blessings,

~pB
“Perceive that which cannot be seen with the eye.”
― Miyamoto Musashi  (1584 –1645)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Hi Barb!

Yes, I do think it is worth taking classes in Child/ Adult First Aid and CPR because you get a little hands-on instruction, which helps. These are the kinds of things that are good to know but hope you never have to use.

Blessings,

~pB

pbutter, that's very well put, these are things we should know, and hope we never need to use them...
Thanks for the info.
Keep On Keepin On,
 ;)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Small portable portions of cold yogurt, applesauce, juices which are not too sweet -
all should be good in bugout car situation.
Small bottles water. For tots - small baby bottles with juice and water.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
I would completely avoid things like triscuits, pita bread chips, thick snacks. Only stuff easy to swallow if rushing or under stress. Avoid anything very sweet and no sticky stuff.

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!