Author Topic: Article: "Why eating like we did 20,000 years ago may be the way of the future"  (Read 1753 times)

NativeMom72

• Global Moderator
  • ...just Breathe...
Hello Everyone!

I found an article that brings up an interesting idea which states that "modern day" humans would greatly benefit by eating foods that were similar to those eaten by humans  during the "Paleolithic" (Hunter and Gather) era.

Consequently, a new approach to eating has emerged called the Paleolithic Diet, or simply "Paleo" for short. Advocates of this diet focus on eating unprocessed foods like lean meat, seafood, roots, tubers, fruits, and vegetables. Not only are these foods comprehensible to the human digestive system, they pack much more nutrition per calorie than typical Neolithic and processed foods.

Why eating like we did 20,000 years ago may be the way of the future

http://io9.com/5917339/why-eating-like-a-caveman-may-be-the-way-of-the-future

“Perceive that which cannot be seen with the eye.”
― Miyamoto Musashi  (1584 –1645)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
I think that would work well for a lot of people... :)

Endtimesgal_2012

I myself have struggled back and forth with Vegetarianism and Paleo.  I really do not like eating meat, especially if it is served in big chunks, (like steak and chicken pieces,)  It is fine if it is chopped up in smaller pieces, I have no idea why.  And the raw meat really turns me off.  I also really do not like the idea that we have to take the life of the animal in order to eat the meat.......But, on the other hand I have to remind myself that there are lots of other animals and creatures that are designed to eat the flesh of other animals, it is the way things have evolved.  I would really like to be a vegetarian, but then I remind myself that when TSHTF, we may not be able to grow food for a couple of years or more, and in order to survive we will need to eat not only the flesh of animals, but bugs and all kinds of things we would not dream of eating right now.  So I tell myself to get used to it.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
I myself have struggled back and forth with Vegetarianism and Paleo.  I really do not like eating meat, especially if it is served in big chunks, (like steak and chicken pieces,)  It is fine if it is chopped up in smaller pieces, I have no idea why.  And the raw meat really turns me off.  I also really do not like the idea that we have to take the life of the animal in order to eat the meat.......But, on the other hand I have to remind myself that there are lots of other animals and creatures that are designed to eat the flesh of other animals, it is the way things have evolved.  I would really like to be a vegetarian, but then I remind myself that when TSHTF, we may not be able to grow food for a couple of years or more, and in order to survive we will need to eat not only the flesh of animals, but bugs and all kinds of things we would not dream of eating right now.  So I tell myself to get used to it.

Pbutter I can relate to all you have said. I'm still working to get to my balance...
I seem to do OK without meat now...
In a survival situation, I would never preach to people to be vegetarian...too much stress and people need to eat what they are used to...

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
high-fat=survival diet
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 08:17:35 AM »
The science... see this vid
at 20 minutes, 30 seconds we see that the fat levels of this guy's internal organs are off-the-charts low, i.e. objectively speaking he has shown to know what he's talking about when it comes to burning/losing (fat) weight [subdermal fat burning will only happen after organ fat has been dissolved];
at 13 min. see the chart on levels of beta-hydroxybutrate as opposed to the other 2 forms of ketones [i.e. burnable 'fats' the body produces];
at 57 min. we see how burning ketones saves your glucose reserves for moments when they are really key. To understand the importance of this, you need to first understand that the liver can only hold about 400 grams of glycogen/glucose and your muscles only hold 100 grams, spread out all over your body... (this means that the glycogen in the cells of your muscles will not, for instance, help fuel your brain).

At 59 min. 30 sec. we see the ultimate visual:

There is great irony here; imagine this fuel truck standing along the side of the road out of gas... In other words, it has loads and loads of gasoline trapped in the back but is all out of gas out in the front where it needs it to keep moving. And the fats in our bodies are similarly disjointed from our fuel needs. The speaker in this vid suggests even lean individuals have a fat reserve of 100,000 carbs (and when one can burn 2000/day, that means 50 days of high energy even when carb intake is zero...)

If we take the image and data offered at 13 minutes into the video, it means that it takes 3 to 4 weeks before the body is optimally burning our body's fat reserves.
Now, is that what you'll be wanting for any emergency contingency...?
A big fat "No!" to that!

A few practical tools
- 3 carbless foods: macademia nuts, mozeralla cheese & avocado
- cheese and other dairy are best dealt with by people with blood type B
- ketose is reached by severely cutting down carb intake and limiting protein intake somewhat
- (refined alcohols like whiskey or vodka do not distrupt the process)

Look, if it's up to me [the author of this post], humans stem from Hollow Earth where fruits [read: "carbs"] are accessible all year long. Hence, our frugavore teeth, digestive tract and psychology. And though primates (like chimps) eat 2% proteins [bugs, kills and carrion], they are able to eat more of these things (like in times of want; hell, even herbivores like rabbits will turn carnivorous to survive).
Having said all that, if TSHTF [pardon my French], survivors in-the-know will need to have both their energy and wits about them. Not later, not after 3 weeks, but in the first days, if not hours of disruption and destruction!

tips on the move toward the ketogenic diet:
- consume lemons and or lime with water to make sure you get your Vit. C
- while moving towards a ketonic diet your body will be crying out for carbs, making you reach for carb-poor foods like vegetables in a frantic bid to acquire that which your intellect is denying you; such carbs add up! Best to stick to macademia nuts, mozeralla cheese and avocados as much as possible.
- at times the stress of starvation might be relieved by consuming refined alcohol (which will at least supply calories)
- excercise also relieves the stress of starvation, by stimulating the sympathic nervous system
- contrarily, rest and relaxation stimulate the parasympathetic nervous system, causing a focus on eating (among other things); in other words exercise releases the stress of starvation while rest stimulates the (frantic) search for carbs.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 11:56:37 AM by Socrates »
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01