Author Topic: Tai Chi  (Read 3299 times)

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: boxing bags
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2017, 01:20:55 AM »
Who ya all calling a weakling
God knows, not me!  :o

Having said that, many moons ago this idiot in the street drove into me with his car while i was crossing the street on a pedestrian walkway. I got angry (since this was obviously outrageous behavior) and started punching into and kicking his car. This fairly tall [me, i'm just 5'8"] Dutchman comes out and starts kicking at me with kickboxing-like techniques. The funny thing is, i'd not only been working for a while at the city's garbage facility and had a pretty decent bodily strength from working with heavy items for hours every day, but i'd been practicing Wing Chun kung fu for a while, too. The thing is, i even got in this kick straight through this idiot's defenses to his torso; in other words, my technique was superior to his.

I lost this fight because my strength was still lacking. Though my core strength and technique were superior, my ability to kick or hit hard were average at best.
In response to this event i hung up a large heavy bag at work and started hitting it for half an hour every day. It was a very hard and heavy bag [not yer typical boxing bag] and i could hardly budge it at first. As well, the first days my knuckles would bleed.
However, keeping this up 5 days a week for 30 min. a day for months on end, after a while i noticed my technique changing and my ability to move the bag increase. After 6 months of this i was surprised at how much harder i could punch than when i began. And keep in mind that i was by no means a weakling to begin with; i was around 33 years old and did heavy physical labor and had been doing so for a year or so (having had done hard physical work in previous years as well).

This experience taught me a number of things, like:
- how weak i had been at punching to begin with
- how strong i became after some training
- how quickly great improvement came
- the immense difference between my untrained and trained state

Ultimately, you're better off knowing nothing about 'self-defense' but being able to punch hard, than being great at self-defense but not being able to kick or punch worth a damn.
Of course, in a perfect world... one would be able to have great technique and above-average strength. But we need to be realistic and pick our fights carefully.

Fighting is a natural phenomenon. In fact, it is argued that men have 'masculine' jaw bones due to an evolutionary development that came about to be able to take a punch from other men. Supposedly, this has also determined the general shape of human's faces. And considering Darwin, periodic fighting [the dog-eat-dog philosophy of eternal strife is a political notion not in line with Darwin's research at all], particularly for procreational purposes, is just about the most natural thing in the world. But the ability to kick or punch hard concerns very specific movements dependent on a very specific training of a person's muscles and body. And if you're talking about survival situations, you're talking about Darwinian/Maslowian survival modes that demand certain specific tactics, training and abilities.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 01:44:23 AM by Socrates »
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: defensive arts
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2017, 04:36:09 PM »

Weakness is always also a self-fulfilling prophecy: I am weak therefore i stay weak?
Strong or weak the wise thing to do is stay away from trouble and trouble makers and in troubled times to probably just stay away...
Weakness CAN be a self-fulfilling prophecy, but muscular strength is greatly enhanced by the presence of testosterone.  That doesn't mean women with their miniscule levels of testosterone (compared to that of men) cannot increase their strength, but by comparison, most women are weaker than men due to their greatly reduced muscle mass.

I can wish and hope all I want, do tapping, do self-hypnosis, etc., etc., and would only increase my muscle mass a small amount because I have the "female levels" of testesterone.  I'm fine with that!

But there are ways, many ways those without loads of strength can defend themselves.  Agreed, it's an excellent thing to stay away from trouble makers.  OTOH, sometimes they surface just when you're not expecting them.

I have not found the self-defense videotape yet, but remember a few things from it. 

One this is this:  it only takes about 15 pounds of pressure to dislocate a knee.  Maybe you don't have access to Mr. Bad's knee, but you are up close and personal to his face.  Do you realize how little force with the edge of your open hand it takes to cause serious injury to the thyroid?  I could go on and on, but am just pointing out a few things from that jam-packed video.  The victim needs to assess the situation constantly, looking for which weaknesses the attacker is showing, and he will always have one or more, unless he's in an armor-plated tank about to run you down, and you're lying blindfolded.

Here is something that was not in the video but I read about it in the newspaper.  A woman was kidnapped and the kidnapper drove her to a secluded area and her quick thinking allowed her--when she waited for and found the perfect opportunity--to quickly wrap the seat belt around Mr. Attacker/WouldBe Rapist's neck and strangled him right there in the front seat of his car.  She waited till she thought he was dead or passed out and then shoved his body out, then drove to the police station.

And another one:  I even remember the name of this brave woman--Joan Little.  She was in jail in (?Arkansas?) and the jailer would regularly come to her cell when nobody was around and rape her.  He always carried his ice pick with him, just in case she got uppity.  Well, Ms. Little being a thinker, waited for her opportunity, and one day when he was raping her and his mind was elsewhere, she grabbed the ice pick and stabbed him to death in the chest.  No charges were filed.

Now, I'm not suggesting women go around killing guys for minor infractions, but once it's obvious there's an attack going on, it's "anything goes" if you think you're going to be killed anyway.

I'll keep looking for the video.

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: self-defensive
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2017, 07:53:06 PM »
I'm not suggesting women go around killing guys for minor infractions
probably no 'minor infractions' in a survival scenario...
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2017, 11:09:30 PM »

Hi my friend. Just a bit of levity. I don't actually look quite as fit as the survivalist pic. :)
Making some progress though. :)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2017, 11:11:38 PM »

Having said that, many moons ago this idiot in the street drove into me with his car while i was crossing the street on a pedestrian walkway. I got angry (since this was obviously outrageous behavior) and started punching into and kicking his car. This fairly tall [me, i'm just 5'8"] Dutchman comes out and starts kicking at me with kickboxing-like techniques. The funny thing is, i'd not only been working for a while at the city's garbage facility and had a pretty decent bodily strength from working with heavy items for hours every day, but i'd been practicing Wing Chun kung fu for a while, too. The thing is, i even got in this kick straight through this idiot's defenses to his torso; in other words, my technique was superior to his.

I lost this fight because my strength was still lacking. Though my core strength and technique were superior, my ability to kick or hit hard were average at best.
In response to this event i hung up a large heavy bag at work and started hitting it for half an hour every day. It was a very hard and heavy bag [not yer typical boxing bag] and i could hardly budge it at first. As well, the first days my knuckles would bleed.
However, keeping this up 5 days a week for 30 min. a day for months on end, after a while i noticed my technique changing and my ability to move the bag increase. After 6 months of this i was surprised at how much harder i could punch than when i began. And keep in mind that i was by no means a weakling to begin with; i was around 33 years old and did heavy physical labor and had been doing so for a year or so (having had done hard physical work in previous years as well).

This experience taught me a number of things, like:
- how weak i had been at punching to begin with
- how strong i became after some training
- how quickly great improvement came
- the immense difference between my untrained and trained state

Ultimately, you're better off knowing nothing about 'self-defense' but being able to punch hard, than being great at self-defense but not being able to kick or punch worth a damn.
Of course, in a perfect world... one would be able to have great technique and above-average strength. But we need to be realistic and pick our fights carefully.

Fighting is a natural phenomenon. In fact, it is argued that men have 'masculine' jaw bones due to an evolutionary development that came about to be able to take a punch from other men. Supposedly, this has also determined the general shape of human's faces. And considering Darwin, periodic fighting [the dog-eat-dog philosophy of eternal strife is a political notion not in line with Darwin's research at all], particularly for procreational purposes, is just about the most natural thing in the world. But the ability to kick or punch hard concerns very specific movements dependent on a very specific training of a person's muscles and body. And if you're talking about survival situations, you're talking about Darwinian/Maslowian survival modes that demand certain specific tactics, training and abilities.
Hi again, Socrates, reading your posts now. I always learn something new. :)
I confess I am not martial arts trained. Did pick up some moves in my kids' classes.
I will give a better acknowledgement later but yes agreed, strength is so important. No matter where a person starts they can become stronger...

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Tai Chi
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2017, 11:16:02 PM »
ilinda - good stories of women fighting back.
Thinking on your feet, using whatever weapon is at hand, always good ideas...

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2017, 04:14:46 PM »
Another source of "assistance" in needing to defend oneself could come from the plant world.  Anyone who is a student of our herbaceous friends knows that plants can have many functions besides looking pretty and/or tasting good.  There are many health and/or medical uses, some of which could be quite unconventional.

Those who use tinctures, derive essential oils, or prepare homeopathic dilutions know that certain actions of certain plants can be greatly magnified or amplified by certain processes or procedures.  There are plants wild, as well as cultivated, that I can think of that can be "tweaked" a bit to amplify some of the effects of a given plant, many times over. 

For example, if a plant has effects on a specific bodily organ, imagine what that same plant whose essence has been amplified could do to a person.  People who know about homeopathic dilutions especially know about this phenomenon.  There might be times when one might need to have prepared some of these "potions" for self-defense.  Someone who is experienced in homeopathy could take a tincture and in one evening craft from that tincture a whole range of dilutions from for example 1C through 30C. 

The only contact needed for the homeopathic prep to exert its effects is for the drop or drops to have contact with a mucous membrane.

Just sayin'.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2017, 05:23:49 PM »
Another source of "assistance" in needing to defend oneself could come from the plant world.  Anyone who is a student of our herbaceous friends knows that plants can have many functions besides looking pretty and/or tasting good.  There are many health and/or medical uses, some of which could be quite unconventional.

Those who use tinctures, derive essential oils, or prepare homeopathic dilutions know that certain actions of certain plants can be greatly magnified or amplified by certain processes or procedures.  There are plants wild, as well as cultivated, that I can think of that can be "tweaked" a bit to amplify some of the effects of a given plant, many times over. 

For example, if a plant has effects on a specific bodily organ, imagine what that same plant whose essence has been amplified could do to a person.  People who know about homeopathic dilutions especially know about this phenomenon.  There might be times when one might need to have prepared some of these "potions" for self-defense.  Someone who is experienced in homeopathy could take a tincture and in one evening craft from that tincture a whole range of dilutions from for example 1C through 30C. 

The only contact needed for the homeopathic prep to exert its effects is for the drop or drops to have contact with a mucous membrane.

Just sayin'.

Thanks for the reminder and more knowledge about - the plant world... I remember now, In several TV shows I have seen lately - often about past times - women using plants against their aggressors. Something worth knowing about...
When you refer to 1C through 30C is that from a specific list on a site?

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2017, 02:39:45 PM »

Just sayin'.

Thanks for the reminder and more knowledge about - the plant world... I remember now, In several TV shows I have seen lately - often about past times - women using plants against their aggressors. Something worth knowing about...
When you refer to 1C through 30C is that from a specific list on a site?
Wow, I was not aware of your having seen on TV where women have used plants against their aggressors, and it's good to know that women may be learning this.

In homeopathy, each dilution is labeled or "rated", so that everyone knows its potency.  As you already know, but others reading this may not, with each successive dilution and succussion, the potency is amplified.  The "C" or "X" or "M" refers to the dilution factor; "C" means 100, "X" means 10, and "M" means 1,000.

For example I made a wild yam tincture last year, then from that tincture made 30 separate vials, from 1C through 30C dilutions.  The Wild Yam 1C is a solution that contains 1 unit of wild yam tincture for each 99 or 100 units of solution.  In my case I use alcohol.  So, to make 100 ml of a 1C potency wild yam preparation, I would take 99 ml of alcohol, and add 1 ml of my wild yam tincture.  After succussion, we/I have a 1C Wild Yam Homeopathic Preparation, also called Wild Yam 1C.   To make a 2C prep., place 1 ml of your 1C prep. or dilution or solution (often used interchangeably) into 99 ml alcohol, and then succuss, giving you your 2C preparation.  You continue this as long as you want more and more potency in each successive dilution. 

I know it sounds counterintuitive, but this has been studied and used for several centuries, and the potency relates to the energetics; think energy field.  It seems the less actual "material" in the preparation, the more potent it becomes, and at some point, often around 12C, there is theoretically no more of the original plant (or other starter) material left.  Hope that answers your question about the 1C.  There are even veterinarians who have written books on this (I have two such books) so it's pretty difficult to attribute the efficacy of these things to the placebo effect.  ?In a cow?  Or a dog?   ;D

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2017, 02:46:59 PM »
This isn't exactly Tai Chi, nor have my recent posts been, but since we're on the subject of self-defense, and since I have not yet found my old VHS tape, I did find a couple of excellent links on youtube.  Watched them both and hope to practice with hubby, as the man and woman in the two videos are partners in real life which makes it quite a bit easier.

Anyway, I certainly learned some things and plan to watch them several more times, and maybe once every couple of months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D8r-wH0dkk
Women's Self Defense: Level 1 - Rape Escape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jx2XTgcIsc
Women's Self Defense:  Level 1 - Choke Escape

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2017, 09:47:04 PM »
Thanks, ilinda!