Author Topic: Walkie Talkies?  (Read 3034 times)

Willsorr75

• Prolific Member
Walkie Talkies?
« on: April 01, 2012, 12:23:18 AM »
Has anyone done any research on walkie talkies? I've read there are two types FRS and GMRS. I'm wanting to have something for communication with my family when and after the SHTF. I'd like to be able to scout/forage outside my home after "the event" and be able to still communicate with my family held up in the house. Example: If we were to run out of water, there is a river about 1/2 a mile from my house. there are several houses and trees between the two and no straight line of view. I'd like to be able to take a communication device and leave one at home to allow constant communication. Also I'm sure half of my neighbor hood will not be prepared, so they will either pass away or try to travel to a larger city seeking help. This would leave multiple houses with possible supplies waiting for the taking. Having a communication device would be great for someone to keep a watchful eye while another is searching a home.

I've read you have to have a license for GMRS. Would GMRS even work if there was a power outage? Could someone in range of my home hear our communication on another walkie talkie. If so, is it worth the risk? The below link is a 2012 review of some popular walkie talkies. The one which came in first seems very affordable, but will the features even be useful once the shtf? I hope to purchase 2-4 in the next month. Any input/suggestions will be appreciated.

http://walkie-talkie-review.toptenreviews.com/

Thanks...
Stay informed, information is our first line of defense!
-Will

probe64322

• stringers
    • n/a
Re: Walkie Talkies?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 01:25:52 PM »
I`ve had a pair for about 4 years now,one of my better buy`s and they where cheap.
After a full charge they last all day being left on & in a built up area there range is still about a mile.

Binatone MR250 Twin Two Way Radio---The MR250 Twin is an eight channel two-way radio in a rugged design with optional dual desktop charger pod. It has a range of up to two miles depending on environment and terrain and there is a key lock for added security.

Features
Battery level indicator
Belt clip
Digital volume control
Channel scan
Range - 2 miles
Channel options - 8
Backlit LCD display
Key lock

P.

Willsorr75

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 03:56:23 PM »
I`ve had a pair for about 4 years now,one of my better buy`s and they where cheap.
After a full charge they last all day being left on & in a built up area there range is still about a mile.

Binatone MR250 Twin Two Way Radio---The MR250 Twin is an eight channel two-way radio in a rugged design with optional dual desktop charger pod. It has a range of up to two miles depending on environment and terrain and there is a key lock for added security.

Features
Battery level indicator
Belt clip
Digital volume control
Channel scan
Range - 2 miles
Channel options - 8
Backlit LCD display
Key lock

P.

Two miles would easily be within what I'm looking for. I'm starting to think most of what I read on the new walkies is marketing. A cheaper walkie is most likely just as good as a more expensive one especially if you don't have a license. Thanks for the suggestion...
-Will

errrv

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 05:49:37 PM »
Just remember... Everybody will be using them so come up with codewords & shackle location grids:

SCUBADIVER

So grid 123456 would be CUBADI

Or 487256 would be AEVUDI

Used this a lot in the Marines before encrypted radios. You can change what letter zero starts at daily for optimal effect. Any words will work as long as they are 10 digits long... Non repeating letters. Monkeysh*t, scubadiver, autodriver, etc
Erv

Willsorr75

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 02:52:23 PM »
Just remember... Everybody will be using them so come up with codewords & shackle location grids:

SCUBADIVER

So grid 123456 would be CUBADI

Or 487256 would be AEVUDI

Used this a lot in the Marines before encrypted radios. You can change what letter zero starts at daily for optimal effect. Any words will work as long as they are 10 digits long... Non repeating letters. Monkeysh*t, scubadiver, autodriver, etc
Erv

Thanks for this suggestion. I see how this would be extremely helpful and help prevent security risk.
-Will

Tiburon

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 12:42:36 AM »
I know this thread is stale now, but please check out my post here:

http://planetxtownhall.com/index.php?topic=1564.0

Thxs

Willsorr75

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 08:33:25 AM »
I know this thread is stale now, but please check out my post here:

http://planetxtownhall.com/index.php?topic=1564.0

Thxs
Thanks, I will definitely check it out.
-Will

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 03:10:47 PM »
As far as I am concerned, these survival boards and topics never go stale. People read them for the information, so please keep on posting what you know.
- Barb Townsend