Author Topic: SEEDS...  (Read 9448 times)

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: SEEDS...
« Reply #105 on: September 09, 2017, 05:47:58 PM »
Hi Ilinda,

The little duck house has to be replenished daily, as duck excrement is more liquid due to all the water they drink and their preference for greens as food.  Henhouse gets cleaned out once a week during fair weather when they're pastured, and occasionally twice a week during foul-weather confinement, which amounts to a one-month period in winter, unless Px changes the routine.  I figure that we might go through a couple of two-twine bales of hay every month, which @ $5 per bale is nothing compared with the cost of caring for larger livestock.

Wheel barrow is right next to the henhouse, and old litter goes straight to the open gardens along with grass clippings and dead leaves, where the hens are allowed to work it in the open air and further break it down into good quick compost.  The worm houses receive all the veggie and fruit scraps, which they turn into priceless castings that go straight on the gardens once a year in autumn.
Sounds like you've got it down to a science and it is working.   I've only had chickens once and that was only for about a year or two, but really want them again, plus several dreams showed me with baby chicks in a box, so maybe it's time to get busy looking. 

Sandhill Preservation in Calamus, Iowa still has hatch dates listed in their catalog, but better go online to see the latest.  If I get them now, how soon can they be tolerant of cooler weather?  (I know when young they must be kept warm, etc., no drafts, etc.)

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #106 on: September 09, 2017, 06:47:00 PM »
Hi Ilinda,

Sounds as if your dreams are trying to tell you something!  Bet the chicks would get along with the goats too :)

For your area, which is slightly in the north I believe, I'd consider sticking with Northern breeds at this late date, to be sure they'll overwinter easily.  Might want to think about getting Rhode Island Reds, Plymouth Barred Rocks, Wyandottes, etc., in other words the brown egg layers.  Once they're fully feathered with their pullet feathers, at six weeks, they can leave the brooder and be outdoors at least part of the time, maybe on a gradual basis. 

Of course, tolerance to the cold can be increased by other factors too, such as body heat from a flock size near capacity of the coop (our larger one is rated for a dozen, but we keep the chicken flock @ between 6 and 10 usually, so disease is not encouraged).  If you're having a coop custom-built, you can request that a layer of foam be put between the floor joists, beneath the glassboard-covered floor (glassboard is the only way to go for cleanliness and durability).  Wrapped hay bales can be stacked around the base or legs of the coop in winter, and blankets folded over the nest box door, if one comes with the coop.  And deep dry hay, both on the floor and in nest boxes.  Extra treats to plump them up will also harden them off to winter - some folks like to keep a suet cake available during cold weather, or you can make your own with PB and seeds, etc.

As an alternative to chicks, you could spend a few dollars more and order started pullets, which would be brought home about a month before they begin laying, so around 16 weeks of age. 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 06:13:30 AM by R.R. Book »

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #107 on: September 13, 2017, 05:25:39 PM »
The two olive trees mentioned in another thread were seedlings I think, and not started from cuttings. I think.  So, am posting a pic of one of them here, and as of this week they're a bit taller than 5', whereas last year at this time were maybe 1 1/2' tall.  They apparently love our Ozark climate, for now at least.

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #108 on: October 09, 2017, 11:19:43 AM »
What a handsome plant!

Here are a couple of shots of the Seminole pumpkin taking taking over the garden (seems the more I prune it, the larger it gets!)...

MadMax

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #109 on: October 09, 2017, 04:39:25 PM »
ilinda

They apparently love our Ozark climate, for now at least.

I thought that you lived in Oregon (or did I get that wrong)?

Take care,
Max
"Ignorance is Bliss" - (Agent Smith the first Matrix Movie)

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #110 on: October 10, 2017, 11:24:14 AM »
What a handsome plant!

Here are a couple of shots of the Seminole pumpkin taking taking over the garden (seems the more I prune it, the larger it gets!)...
At the end of the garden season, do you calculate productivity?  For example, four pumpkin plants produced "X" number of pumpkins?  They DO take over, don't they?  But the beauty of that is they shade the weeds.

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #111 on: October 10, 2017, 11:29:59 AM »
ilinda

They apparently love our Ozark climate, for now at least.

I thought that you lived in Oregon (or did I get that wrong)?

Take care,
Max
I live in Missouri's Ozarks, specifically, in the foothills of the Saint Francois Mountains, the oldest mountain range in North America, which also means the lowest in elevation.  Latitude is about 37 deg. north.

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #112 on: October 10, 2017, 12:35:41 PM »
At the end of the garden season, do you calculate productivity?

Absolutely, and keep a journal of it as well.  However, with all the dramatic sprawling of the Seminole and with its true-to-reputation disease resistance, I'm only just beginning to see small pumpkins forming, and hope they put on some rapid growth, because the vine may begin dying back upon next week's evening frosts and freezes. :(

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #113 on: October 16, 2017, 01:04:38 PM »
Here are photos of my purple hyacinth beans, which are a favorite plant in this area both for food and ornamental purposes.  The first shot depicts the last of the blossoms in shades of violet and lavender, which was prettier in its prime entwined among the roses during late summer and early autumn.

The second shot shows the purple bean pods ready to be harvested. 

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #114 on: October 16, 2017, 05:48:23 PM »
Here are photos of my purple hyacinth beans, which are a favorite plant in this area both for food and ornamental purposes.  The first shot depicts the last of the blossoms in shades of violet and lavender, which was prettier in its prime entwined among the roses during late summer and early autumn.

The second shot shows the purple bean pods ready to be harvested.
Thanks for sharing these photos of such beautiful plants.  Do you cook the beans, or are they for chickens?  Will chickens eat the pods and leaves?

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #115 on: October 17, 2017, 03:17:08 PM »
They can be used either for human consumption or for livestock feed, cooked the same as any other beans.  The hens have mostly been ignoring the leaves on the climbing vine, mainly because I had enclosed the first couple of feet of it in a chickenwire frame to allow it to get off to a good start before being clawed and pecked at.  :)

Here's what PFAF says:

Edible Parts: Flowers;  Leaves;  Root;  Seed;  Seedpod.
Edible Uses:

The mature seed is edible as long as it is thoroughly cooked[2, 27, 33, 34, 74, 171]. It has a mild flavour, is rich in protein and can be used as a staple food. The seed can also be prepared as 'tofu' or be fermented into 'tempeh' in the same way that soya beans are used in Japan[183]. The seed can also be sprouted and eaten raw, when it is comparable to mung bean sprouts[179, 183]. A nutritional analysis is available[218]. The tender young seedpods and immature seeds can be eaten raw or cooked. They can be used as a green vegetable like French beans[46, 74, 114]. They are also used as a curry vegetable[183]. The immature seedpod contains 3.2% protein, 0.8% fat, 5.4% carbohydrate, 0.81% ash. It is rich in vitamin B1[179]. Leaves - they must be cooked[160, 179]. They can also be dried for later use[183]. The leaves are used as a greens just like spinach[183]. They contain up to 28% protein[160] (dry weight?). Flowers - raw or cooked in soups and stews[183]. Root - large and starchy[183].
Composition
Figures in grams (g) or miligrams (mg) per 100g of food.  (Note: 100 g = about 3/4 c)   
Seed (Fresh weight)    

334 Calories per 100g
    Water : 12.1%
    Protein: 21.5g; Fat: 1.2g; Carbohydrate: 61.4g; Fibre: 6.8g; Ash: 3.8g;
    Minerals - Calcium: 98mg; Phosphorus: 345mg; Iron: 3.9mg; Magnesium: 0mg; Sodium: 0mg; Potassium: 0mg; Zinc: 0mg;
    Vitamins - A: 0mg; Thiamine (B1): 0mg; Riboflavin (B2): 0mg; Niacin: 0mg; B6: 0mg; C: 0mg

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #116 on: October 17, 2017, 05:36:52 PM »
They can be used either for human consumption or for livestock feed, cooked the same as any other beans.  The hens have mostly been ignoring the leaves on the climbing vine, mainly because I had enclosed the first couple of feet of it in a chickenwire frame to allow it to get off to a good start before being clawed and pecked at.  :)

Here's what PFAF says:

Edible Parts: Flowers;  Leaves;  Root;  Seed;  Seedpod.
Edible Uses:

The mature seed is edible as long as it is thoroughly cooked[2, 27, 33, 34, 74, 171]. It has a mild flavour, is rich in protein and can be used as a staple food. The seed can also be prepared as 'tofu' or be fermented into 'tempeh' in the same way that soya beans are used in Japan[183]. The seed can also be sprouted and eaten raw, when it is comparable to mung bean sprouts[179, 183]. A nutritional analysis is available[218]. The tender young seedpods and immature seeds can be eaten raw or cooked. They can be used as a green vegetable like French beans[46, 74, 114]. They are also used as a curry vegetable[183]. The immature seedpod contains 3.2% protein, 0.8% fat, 5.4% carbohydrate, 0.81% ash. It is rich in vitamin B1[179]. Leaves - they must be cooked[160, 179]. They can also be dried for later use[183]. The leaves are used as a greens just like spinach[183]. They contain up to 28% protein[160] (dry weight?). Flowers - raw or cooked in soups and stews[183]. Root - large and starchy[183].
Composition
Figures in grams (g) or miligrams (mg) per 100g of food.  (Note: 100 g = about 3/4 c)   
Seed (Fresh weight)    

334 Calories per 100g
    Water : 12.1%
    Protein: 21.5g; Fat: 1.2g; Carbohydrate: 61.4g; Fibre: 6.8g; Ash: 3.8g;
    Minerals - Calcium: 98mg; Phosphorus: 345mg; Iron: 3.9mg; Magnesium: 0mg; Sodium: 0mg; Potassium: 0mg; Zinc: 0mg;
    Vitamins - A: 0mg; Thiamine (B1): 0mg; Riboflavin (B2): 0mg; Niacin: 0mg; B6: 0mg; C: 0mg
They have a lot of value--way more than I thought, as I always wrongly assumed they are so pretty, they must be toxic.