Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: Survival survey: where do you store your stuff?  (Read 8298 times)

Linda

• Prolific Member
Survival survey: where do you store your stuff?
« on: June 03, 2010, 07:37:05 AM »
If you are storing survival food and gear in your current home, what creative ways are you doing it. Do you have the luxury of an extra room in your house? I fortunately have a large basement and a room down there that I have converted for this purpose. I'm sure everyone has ideas for making room no matter how small and area you have.

What's your idea's, shelving, under the bed storage units? How can you put together storage areas that are reasonably cheap?

Linda
Linda :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

Lori

Re: Survival survey: where do you store your stuff?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 01:41:22 PM »
One of the things I think needs to be done is a hiding place for your food,  Lawlessness will be widespread and what you need to do is just have a shelf with a few basic needs where if there is a forced entrance they will grab those instead of your main supples, 

They won't take the time to search for the larger loot.   You need secret stash where you and only you know where it is. 

There are several ideas out there for a hidden compartment.

A Long-Term Survival Guide - Hidden Storage and Secret CompartmentsHere
Lori

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 12:37:31 PM »
Hi
my basic plan is to store stuff the best I can wherever I am.
When I get the survival land:
First of all I will have an old camper or shed or house there just to start out with and stay in when things are being set up.
I will create an underground shed made of concrete and put items there
every time I go out there.
Boxes of food,
water,
hygiene items,
tools etc.
The underground shed needs to be well hidden. Trees bushes real and fake whatever I can dream up.
I expect the stuff to still be there when I get back.
I may try to have someone I trust staying there while I am back and forth.
- Yowbarb 

vindicated

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 08:23:57 AM »
Just curious, would a cave be a good place to be? I have a good friend who happens to be curator at a local cave which is a tourist attraction, but he also has knowledge of miles of uncharted ones. I am so glad I found this forum...I have already lost friends and respect because I didn't keep my MOUTH SHUT!

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 08:51:00 AM »
Just curious, would a cave be a good place to be? I have a good friend who happens to be curator at a local cave which is a tourist attraction, but he also has knowledge of miles of uncharted ones. I am so glad I found this forum...I have already lost friends and respect because I didn't keep my MOUTH SHUT!

Locations of caves will come in handy as a place to get to. Do you have access?

I would say expect a resurgence of friends and respect when things get really rocky, they won't forget who was warning them. :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

CancriGuardian

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 10:38:32 AM »
I thought about using those false cans for storing valuables, except going a cheaper route by using real cans that have been opened with a safety can opener that opens from the side and then resealing with rubber glue or wax.  Any size can then could be used.

But then I thought....when the SHTF the "have-nots" will want to steal cans of food and other supplies, both for themselves and to sell to other have-nots, so there goes my valuables. I nixed that idea real fast.

As for food storage, I use a wall near the outside of the house.  If the house collapses I'm expecting it will be easier to find/access than trying to dig to the center of the house.  Caves and basements will probably collapse too and be hard to excavate.
The trouble with life is there's no background music . .

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 10:58:53 AM »
Yowbarb Note: It used to be common for a big blunderbuss to be mounted up above the mantle piece. The "little woman" could grab that when her man was off the farm.
http://www.oldguns.co.uk/images/2934.jpg

The ten year old eldest child could ride around the perimeter with his shotgun slung over his shoulder. Now of course many a young person and adult has taken himself out with guns hence the over protective attitude toward guns. People just need to learn how to handle guns again. No point in being a sitting duck.

================================================================================
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 11:32:55 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 11:02:20 AM »
I thought about using those false cans for storing valuables, except going a cheaper route by using real cans that have been opened with a safety can opener that opens from the side and then resealing with rubber glue or wax.  Any size can then could be used.

But then I thought....when the SHTF the "have-nots" will want to steal cans of food and other supplies, both for themselves and to sell to other have-nots, so there goes my valuables. I nixed that idea real fast.

As for food storage, I use a wall near the outside of the house.  If the house collapses I'm expecting it will be easier to find/access than trying to dig to the center of the house.  Caves and basements will probably collapse too and be hard to excavate.

Cancriguardian that is a good point if a person is going to hide valuables, cash and so on it needs to be hidden in something they would not go to find and steal. Canned food would be a premium item for a thief to steal.
Maybe a pile of fake shrubbery would do...
- Yowbarb
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 11:19:08 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 11:17:47 AM »

Vindicated, we are glad you found your way here. Sorry you had to lose some people - it does take courage to speak about the possibility of these things.
About the caves - well that is a possibility. I have seen some cave tourist attraction photos and a lot of them had grates and fences in front of them. If your friend has a map and they are not all policed that could work.
If it is high enough so that water will not go in there maybe it would hold up. The ancients fortified caves with a triple arch system. Three arches that were connected in the middle of the space. The middle of any given space was a joined column, the innermost part of the arch. That is posted in one of the Ancient ...Topicis about Cappadocia Turkey.
Well... getting in there to build such a thing = hard to do, if it is like in a State Park. If push comes to shove I would be grateful to live near a bunch of caves. There is no doubt in my mind humans have sought shelter in caves in the distant past and some of them survived...
All The Best,
Yowbarb

CancriGuardian

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 11:24:47 AM »
I like the fake shrubbery idea, maybe a plant in a pot so its easy to lift out, but otherwise covered on the surface by moss or other covering.

For years I've used the open space under my nightstand -- pulling out the bottom drawer shows an open space underneath.  Some quality dressers have a thin wood panel which could be cut out for a fall bottom.  Burglars open drawers searching but seldom would go beyond that (unless they read this).

I also have a false riser right in the middle of my formal dinning room table, basically a box without a bottom, that look like it is part of the table decoration.  Expensive silver items and other items get stored there.  A runner and other items sit on top and around it so it is less obvious.

Sometimes storing right out in front of everyone is the safest place.
The trouble with life is there's no background music . .

vindicated

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 01:56:29 PM »
Yowbarb,
Yes, access to the cave is easy. I would however have to convince my friend of the necessity to be prepared. He is very open-minded though, an easy going, also talented musician. Rather bohemian, in fact. Any suggestions on how to start this subject with him?

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 08:19:30 AM »
I have most of my supplies and food staples hidden at the bottom of the barrel of my shotgun. If there is too much to hide, the only place I figured I have is behind me, with my weapons at hand, hoping not to have to use them. So, in that respect, they are at the bottom of a 12ga barrel.... However, I am sure that everyone coming to call, will be classy and only asking for directions to the nearest outlet from the gov't, so I won't have to use military type actions.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 08:44:56 AM »
I like the fake shrubbery idea, maybe a plant in a pot so its easy to lift out, but otherwise covered on the surface by moss or other covering.

For years I've used the open space under my nightstand -- pulling out the bottom drawer shows an open space underneath.  Some quality dressers have a thin wood panel which could be cut out for a fall bottom.  Burglars open drawers searching but seldom would go beyond that (unless they read this).

I also have a false riser right in the middle of my formal dinning room table, basically a box without a bottom, that look like it is part of the table decoration.  Expensive silver items and other items get stored there.  A runner and other items sit on top and around it so it is less obvious.

Sometimes storing right out in front of everyone is the safest place.

CancriGuardian,
Thanks for sharing the ideas. I feel we should all invest in some fake stuff to hide things... especially when the process of building is going on and you want to have some stuff there.

CancriGuardian and All:
I suppose I would want to have a separate, buried storage room or bin made of steel - reinforced cement.
I would want it connected to or perhaps underneath the buried dome. Easy access to food water and supplies.  Note: When I get the survival spot the first thing I will do is have someone doze out a couple spots, set off away from the highway.  Set down an impromptu shelter and also
a place to drive a vehicle down into-  to hide. A ramp down. Goes up at the other end. Far enough down of a little dip that the vehicle could not be easily seen "in silhouette," if it's flat, open country. 
I figure I will end up with open flat land or perhaos some badlands with rocks in a plateu area. Hardly a tree. No river to overflow and flood.
The ideas is: Less stuff to fuel a major fire. (NOTE: There will be forest fires and grass fires in many places on the earth, if the PX scenario
happens in a certain way, with meteorites, big lightning strikes, etc.)

Also a buried shelter for supplies. Keeping a low profile as much as possible. I figure most people will have to make several trips out to a location perhaps alone or with one person. Important to put a stash of things there and at least some shelter in case the earth changes
happen in an inconvenient time frame -before everything is done. Something done is better than nothing done.

Once things are getting organized:
In a separate buried area, I would have one for gasoline for vehicles. This could maybe be one of those smallish steel rooms from containers.
I recommend putting a few wooden braces to reinforce the corners and walls. Even steel containers could possibly bend and crumple in places due to earth movements. All we can predict is all hades will probably break loose for awhile so may as well brace and reinforce everything as much as possible.

I would have one of these too, separate location for propane, etc. 
Not having the exact technology of handling things so they do not explode - especially during earth movements - I would want to put these
fuel areas set away from the main shelter for people.  Anything, any item I felt would be a hazard I would separate out from the living quarters.

Another idea I had which was posted before in a few places: 
A padded storage area needs to be created. Glass or plastic storage jars - anything breakable could weather the changes  (I feel)
if they were set down in a cement box - with styrofoam and newspapers etc.
There should be a grid pattern made of wood.
Some space and some "give" in the amount of space for items in case of earth movements. 
Lining the compartments would be paper, plastic bags, styrofoam to "pad" the things you are storing.
This should be set down in the floor of the dome
Food and water and supplies need to be accessed by the group without going to a separate location for things.
Whatever cooking setup there is needs to be as non hazardous as possible.
NOTE:  I have posted before, and recomended that each member of the group start out with a knapsack of drinks and snacks to start out with in case the earth movements, weather and so on going on outside and all the changes makes it a little hard to function in the beginning.
Everyone should sit down or lay down and just have an easy to drink beverage with a built in straw, during the worst of the events.  Assuming the structure holds up [other Topics on this{ there still culd be earth movement and things falling down etc.
I feel whoever is setting it up and in charge needs to have things ready and this includes prepared baby bottles you just open up. It has to be ready, ready and
at hand for that time when the outside doors and hatches get closed and the outside conditions are impossible to survive. (Will such a day come? I cannot say for sure, I believe that day will come.)

There has been a lot of discussion about how glass jars would break but glass is still the best container for canned goods.
Food can be put into sterilized glass and properly sealed. (Regular canning procedure.) It is non toxic, washable, sterilizable and reusable. 
Also a lot of foods come mainly in glass jars.

Regarding the water bottles the idea is to have lots and lots of water and there might not be time to be too fancy schmancy about the containers so if plastic is all
there is, then the storage containers need to protect that plastic.

I know there are probably better solutions but plastic is easy to grab and haul and throw in the storage area.
Sometimes the quickest way will work precautions need to be taken to protect the goods though.
The shelter itself should be reinforced and I feel the dome is strongest. Dome at least partially buried.

Hope this was not too long.  Some of this overlaps other Topics like setting up the encampment... but it all relates to storage.

- Yowbarb
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 09:27:16 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 10:10:14 AM »
P.S. Re my earlier post, some of my ideas on the initial actions in setting something up on the survival land. One thought I had was, early on, when the land is purchased and the person is making trips out there, solo or with 1 or 2 people -  to keep a low profile. Even if it is isolated there could be a highway nearby in fact that is likely. I had the idea to have a dozer out there first to dig down two three spots, in an area set back from the hwy. One would be like a little short road down and up. A dip set down far enough for a vehicle to drive down and stop in the middle.  The idea is to be less visible, in silhouette, and provide some modicum of security in trips out there.
Here is the P.S. Two things I didn't mention in the other post:
1) There needs to at least be some gravel. Or it would be a mud pit. Idea is to pave the little section of road if possible.
2) Have a flat spot in the middle, big enough for a camper and to easily get in and out of the thing.

So that is one doze job. Also there needs to be a couple dugouts for supplies, to set a shed down into or a cement container with an entrance at top or whatever will work, but it needs to be lockable and preferably hidden. It has to be hidden, in fact. Whatever tumbleweed or fake bushes you have to fasten on there, do it.
That way every time a person drives all the way out there he can at least take some supplies there and leave them.  And be reasonably sure they will still be there when he gets back.
All The Best,
Yowbarb 

Deathanyl

• Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 06:56:53 PM »
Like the fake rock's folks and there very easy to make your own in both hard weather and totally decorative types.  fake rocks r a fav for what i call re-lay points from my home to my survival camp, i have two that have some provisions and supplies a few hundred km's on my trail, because they r to be left long term i made the sealed type, but some can be open bottom, or hinged like that pic, i also liked some of the other ideas, hidden rooms and doors is a specialty i used to offer on contracting.

Start with chicken wire fine gage and shape your bolder, you can use thin hollow tubing or wood as the base./ frame if hinged.

2. cover bolder with paper machete... as in flower/ water and newspaper, do this until rock is formed, make punches and dents in it so it looks natural in shape.

3. once dry, coat in a primer spray bomb, this will keep machete from becoming moist again., then once dry use cement sand with more sand to water then bag recommends till it's as thick as tooth paste. then brush it on the rock, now to get rock hard enough to stand on, you should do a few 4-6 coats of this let each coat dry. on last coat it is time to put in rock grain!

4. choose a rock common to the area's type and have 2-3 of the decorative rock finish spray cans, the kind that r used for decorative work, there enamel so will stick, getting a rock type like others on your land may be tricky, but can normally be ordered. for pours use a compressor even a crapy 12v, to blow poor in one side of rock only if large, and then set with a non shine clear coat on tops sides to give aded rain protection, the whole thing depending on size mine standard was a 4x4 base so i could carry 3 in my truck, and empty they weigh bout 200-250 each so to be moved with a sling, I also recommend securing all supplies so they don't rattle if you turn rock, i do all sides including base, i lined my bases with old stainless tubs so there a bit heaver, but more moisture resistant.

So far only snafu is they can be detected as normal via a metal detector, even with out the stainless bottom.

I' have also made some with a top door that opens on a hydralic and has other machinerey inside, .

Personally i find some machines can be used as more reliable guards and assistants then fellow humans, and they won't need food out of your supplies. with the low cost of pager cellular camera tech, and the advancement of photo/ video messaging on cell phones if your base/ survival spot is in a good cellular region today then that could be how you can keep an eye on such distant places, where you plan to make a stand. cause how awful would it be to get there after a biter long struggle to find nothing, all your cashe raided, or even b4 chaos...

now that cellular network will no longer keep your eye on the place once Chaos comes, but the machines to guard your cashes, could still be keeping other stragglers from getting your goodies during foraging.

Some simple but easy machines r the electrifying doors and metal on the property all charged by solar power on the site, or mechanized traps. to even simple ones like fish hooks in the trees, or leg traps in floors under windows/ entry points, and spiked pits along common entry ways to slow users.

Remember Knowledge is the only thing THEY can't take from you, and Knowledge is Know how, and Know how is Power!!!

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!