Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: What to expect during the “First 72 Hours”  (Read 2055 times)

MadMax

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
What to expect during the “First 72 Hours”
« on: April 12, 2017, 03:28:15 PM »
I saw this article and thought it would make a good thread.

During the Collapse: Know Your Enemy Part 1 – The Unprepared Neighbor

http://www.survivaldan101.com/collapse-unprepared-neighbor/

This guy is your enemy.   (During the Collapse, that is.)

He doesn’t seem like it; in fact, he looks kind of wimpy.  He’s not a jack-booted Homeland Security trooper breaking down your door to take your guns, so he can’t be a threat, right?

Wrong.  Dead wrong.  He’s a bigger threat to most of you than the government.

Of course the government will be a threat, especially in urban areas where they will congregate and hold onto power in their fiefdoms.  Gangs will also be a threat (more on that in Part 2 of this series).  My point is that the guy pictured above – the unprepared neighbor – is the one most likely to actually try to take your stuff and, if necessary, hurt you and your family.

Who is this guy and why is he a threat?

He’s the guy who lives next to you.  Just an average guy.  Maybe you even gently tried to bring up the topic of prepping with him.  He looked at you like you were from Mars and said, a little sarcastcially, “Oh, like those people on Doomsday Preppers?”  Being a good (feminized) male in the suburbs, he thought preppers were a bunch of right-wing crazies who just had some weird fetish about (icky, icky) guns.  He had plenty of opportunities to prepare but spent his time and money on concerts, trendy clothes, and whatever else most of America thinks is more important than taking care of their families in a crisis.

Then the Collapse hits.  Very soon his high-end grocery store is out of goat cheese and the police are no longer functioning.  After the shock and total disbelief wears off, he is terrified.  Not just scared, but lose-your-mind hysterical.  He’s been awake for several days because of all the gunfire he’s hearing, the baby has been crying, and his wife has been screaming at him for hours to “do something!”  (This, of course, is a story in itself because she was the one who told him he can’t have a gun like Todd and Chloe in the 299 Days book series.)  Your unprepared neighbor is not thinking rationally.  He’s desperate.  Studies show that after about 72 hours without food, people – even “nice” ones – will do horrible things to feed themselves and their families.  He needs to shut her up, get some food, and feel safe.  He’ll do anything to make that happen.  Anything.

Max.
"Ignorance is Bliss" - (Agent Smith the first Matrix Movie)

MadMax

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: What to expect during the “First 72 Hours”
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 03:23:18 PM »
During The Collapse Part 3 – Excessive And Without Rule Of Law: not a contradiction, but what is coming!

http://www.survivaldan101.com/collapse-without-rule-law/

How many times do things turn out exactly like you think they will? For me, not often. Often something that I think will happen partially happens, while something else I didn’t foresee partially happens too. Reality is a blend of what I foresee and what I didn’t see coming. A blend.

I think the collapse will be a blend of EROL (“excessive rule of law”) and WROL (“without rule of law”). I call it “E&WROL.”

Some in the prepping community talk about getting ready for EROL. They (correctly) are worried about an oppressive government cracking down after a collapse.
Many in the prepping community are getting ready for WROL. You know, looting and gangs running wild. This is a very likely scenario.
How can we simultaneously have two things that contradict each other: too much rule of law and total lawlessness?

It happens all the time, actually. A friend of mine has seen it. He is a special operations soldier. He’s seen E&WROL in Baghdad and Kabul.

Let’s look at what E&WROL would look like in America. It starts with things like the passed gun laws as an example, which make it a felony to possess most of the guns people have. Some citizens will shoot back when the police try to take their guns. As one New York mayor put it, there will be some “Waco-style standoffs.” Expect lots of bloody firefights. They will be on the news every night.

Assume that during these firefights some innocent civilians get killed, as they will. What if some people start targeting the police as retribution? This has already happened: Oklahoma City was retribution for Waco. My spec ops friend has seen this retribution happen. Houses burned. Families of police officers killed. Horrific things.

The police won’t take it lying down. They will react, and react hard. (You know what happens when someone kills a cop; the killer is rarely taken alive.) There will be some bad police who want to abuse people. But, in my experience, the vast majority of police aren’t like that. Instead, when confronted with retributionists trying to kill them and their families, the police will go into survival mode – like any human beings would. They will band together. They will “take care of business.” You won’t want to have a “Don’t Tread on Me” sticker on your vehicle during a traffic stop. There will be police road blocks and warrantless vehicle searches. This is EROL.

Stay the hell away from everyone, except your family and the people you trust. For the first few days or maybe weeks of the collapse, while E&WROL is unfolding, be invisible. Don’t show off your AR-15 to the neighbor lady. Don’t give the police a reason to suspect you. Repel the criminals but don’t go hunting for them. Be strictly defensive.

There will be a time for you to band together with like-minded people who want to fix things – but don’t assume that will happen on day one. You have to live past the first few days or weeks of the collapse before you can go on to eventually fix things. Live to fight another day.

Max.

MadMax

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 03:29:27 PM »
During the Collapse Part 2: ”I will come to your house when SHTF” – No You Won’t!

http://www.survivaldan101.com/collapse-part-2-house-shtf/

(This post is something you can send to your friends or print out and hand to them when SHTF.)

Dear Friend:
I love my friends, but I will shoot you if I have to. I’m serious. Here’s why.
I tried to persuade you to prepare for what’s coming and, in the process, revealed that to you that I’m preparing. You realized that I have food, guns, etc., and ended up saying, half kidding but half serious, “I’ll come to your place when SHTF.”
No you won’t. I will shoot you. If you threaten me and my family, I will use force to defend against any threat. And showing up at my place hungry and unprepared is a threat to me. You will eat my food and use up my medical supplies, generator, firewood, etc. That’s less of these life-saving things for me and my family. That’s a threat.

Is this greed on my part? No. I will take care of the truly needy – those who cannot take care of themselves. But you are different. Very different. You had plenty of chances to prepare for yourself.

Not. Why should I spend my time, money, and stress just so you can waltz into my place and live happily ever after? I’m a nice guy, but – really? – I’m going to spend my (very limited) free time, disposable income, and domestic tranquility just so you can have a leisurely life and more material comforts pre-Collapse while I don’t?

Max.

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 06:04:38 PM »
Hi Max,

I'm torn between agreeing with what you wrote, for the sake of my children, and feeling that I'll be ecstatically happy if Any of my unprepped loved ones should happen to survive, and if I should ever see them again in this lifetime. 

I know my sons have indicated that they'd much rather share with their unaware friends and have less for themselves if that means having friends survive.  It's interesting to hear their perspective as 20-year-olds, compared with my ingrained older-person's Fight or Flight instinct.  I can grasp their point - there is little incentive for them to carry on if they are the only two survivors once they bury their Papa and me.  We recently discussed the fact that they may need to go on an expedition, Swiss Family Robinson boys-style, to find wives once things have completely calmed down in the aftertime.

My gut feeling is that there is more to the wonder of the incoming Px than we comprehend, and maybe we are about to be changed in a manner that could render our fragility as flesh and blood a distant memory.  You obviously care very much about the individuals that you are issuing the warnings to, or you wouldn't bother sending them such letters in the first place.  Maybe we'll be called upon to perform the Loaves and Fishes miracle and stretch our supplies much further than we ever would have guessed that they could last, especially if each person had at least some small way of contributing, ala the Stone Soup story.  The One who performed the above-mentioned act of grace did say that our powers would be far greater than His, when the need arises for us to step up to the plate. :)

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: "concerts and trendy clothes"
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 06:42:25 PM »
110% agreed!
In fact, military research shows 'Todd' (or whatever his name is) will be a cannibal after about 15 days...

I just posted about this yesterday, talking about ancient accounts of people eating their dogs or even their own children in order to survive.
Hey, keep Maslow in mind...

Looks quaint? Look deeper...
Until things like food and sleep are satisfied, we humans are no more than hungry wolves. But, unlike wolves, we still have our intellect to fool and trick others...
A much better visualization of Maslow is...
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: warning
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 07:11:10 PM »
During the Collapse Part 2: ”I will come to your house when SHTF” – No You Won’t!

http://www.survivaldan101.com/collapse-part-2-house-shtf/

(This post is something you can send to your friends or print out and hand to them when SHTF.)

Dear Friend:
I love my friends, but I will shoot you if I have to. I’m serious. Here’s why.
I tried to persuade you to prepare for what’s coming and, in the process, revealed that to you that I’m preparing. You realized that I have food, guns, etc., and ended up saying, half kidding but half serious, “I’ll come to your place when SHTF.”
No you won’t. I will shoot you. If you threaten me and my family, I will use force to defend against any threat. And showing up at my place hungry and unprepared is a threat to me. You will eat my food and use up my medical supplies, generator, firewood, etc. That’s less of these life-saving things for me and my family. That’s a threat.

Is this greed on my part? No. I will take care of the truly needy – those who cannot take care of themselves. But you are different. Very different. You had plenty of chances to prepare for yourself.

Not. Why should I spend my time, money, and stress just so you can waltz into my place and live happily ever after? I’m a nice guy, but – really? – I’m going to spend my (very limited) free time, disposable income, and domestic tranquility just so you can have a leisurely life and more material comforts pre-Collapse while I don’t?

Max.
Amen, brother!

I have been looking for like-minded-folks since 2009, but everyone is like "Don't worry, be happy" and shut me out.
7,000,000,000 people will die... What's one or 2 more who coming knocking at my door?!

Wishful thinking and/or miracles?
Grow up... We adults prepared; you others can go suck it. I'm not ending up eating my children because you couldn't manage to heave your head out of the trowel for a moment to use your brain for more than how to get laid (or whatever else society was telling you was important).
Burn, mofo, burn. I tried but you just wouldn't listen. And now you die. I'm really sorry, but you can't say i didn't try to warn you.
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

MadMax

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 01:19:37 PM »
GREAT  article!

Blunt Reality: This Is What You Will Face If You Fail To Prep Accordingly :(

http://www.survivaldan101.com/blunt-reality-will-face-fail-prep-accordingly/

It’s finally happened…
The worst has occurred. The grid has gone down. The balloon has gone up.
While you were one of the “smart ones” who believes in preparing yourself and your family to survive the coming collapse, your neighbors and fellow townsfolk were clueless.
And now the world looks much different than yesterday morning when they woke up.
You know something they don’t.

In fact, here are…
The Top 10 “Wake-Up Calls” For Non-Preppers When TSHTF

1. You look outside your window and only see darkness.
Our government has admitted that our electrical grid is being held together by little more than duct tape and bubble gum.

We’ve had events as “harmless” as a tree branch falling 5 states away cause entire regions of the U.S. to go black.
Without power, without street lights, urban environments become a pitch-black nightmare when the sun goes down.

2. Your family is complaining of being hungry and thirsty all the time
With grocery stores picked clean and chaos still ruling the world outside your home, you’ll be left to survive with only what you’ve collected so far.
In some scenarios, without electricity to run the city’s pumps (or your well), there won’t be any water coming out of your faucet.

3. Your toilet is smelling up the house.
With no water, there’s no indoor plumbing. But non-preppers will still try to use their toilets which will soon be useless and begin to stink up their house.
YOU will be forced to find another means of getting rid of what’s coming out of your body.

4. You have no access to an ambulance.
In a disaster, critical injuries are more common but your local paramedics will be overwhelmed with the amount of casualties.

You may be the one who’s responsible of whether your child lives or dies from their wounds.
Basic first aid skills may not be enough if there’s massive bleeding.

5. Fires are burning uncontrolled.
With more people turning to alternative means of cooking and heating in their homes, the probability of fires skyrockets.
But as firefighters are called on to assist with crisis response throughout the area, flames will overtake homes and spread.

6. Mobs are moving from house to house – looting, smashing, and burning.
Police departments are manned based on peacetime needs and not prepared for an all out collapse.

With the anger and frustration over not being “taken care of”, local residents can turn mean and decide to take things into their own hands.
In a collapse, there’s no more law.

7. You pick up the phone to call 911 and the line is dead.
Remember the “old days” when the power went out but your phone still worked?
Well, with the “advancements” of internet lines, most phones now are all delivered digitally and almost nobody uses land-lines anymore.

8. You feel unsafe at home.
Most people think they can just wait out a disaster.
But what if a flood, wildfire, violent riot, or hostile force is heading your way?
Or the looting mobs spread to your home and there’s no back-up from law enforcement to protect you?
It’s a sad fact that most people will realize they have not choice but to get out of Dodge until it’s too late.
Unfortunately, very few know the right way to design a bug-out “go bag”… even experienced “preppers”.
This is one of the most critical elements of a survival plan and if you don’t get this right, you and your family are in severe danger

9. You look for an escape but there’s no way out.
Without a proper bug-out bag, most people will be scrambling around trying to collect all their belongings to evacuate the area.

This takes up critical time you need to get ahead of the masses.
Amidst the chaos, roadways will be jammed with fleeing citizens and stalled cars that have broken down or run out of gas.
Highways will look more like giant parking lots.
You’re stuck where you are.

10. Traveling outside your home becomes too dangerous.
As a sense of frustration, fear, and hopelessness sets in among your fellow townsfolk, even good people can turn bad.

Desperate people do desperate things to survive – like attacking others for food after asking… then begging… yields nothing for their families.
All travel, even over short distances, will be too risky if you don’t have your go-bag ready and can get out the door before the highways turn into parking lots.
At that point – faced with hordes of desperate citizens in chaos – the odds greatly increase that you could be killed if you venture out.

Preparing To Survive A Collapse
In a collapse, if you haven’t made preparations, if you haven’t stockpiled supplies, if you don’t have a PLAN… you won’t have a prayer of surviving!
:P

Max

MadMax

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 04:13:32 PM »
Good article :

After The Collapse Series: Terrible Inconvenient Facts About TEOTWAWKI

http://www.survivaldan101.com/terrible-facts-teotwawki/

We have been warned that the power in parts of Florida could be out for days or weeks. This will only lead to more looting and desperation. According to CNBC:

With Irma set to hit Florida as early as Saturday night, parts of Florida was expected to lose electricity for days, if not longer, and more than 100,000 people may need shelter…

Yet how many people were wise enough to prepare for such a scenario, even with over a week of forewarning? The answer, sadly, is “not many.” Most people just don’t plan ahead. Most people get stuck in the day-to-day “normalcy bias” of thinking that nothing catastrophic could ever happen to them, so they don’t invest in backup generators, emergency water filters, stored fuel supplies, emergency food and other supplies. Most don’t have a bug-out plan, a bug-out vehicle or even a paper map. So they freak out and add to the burden of problems that impact everyone else. Truly stated, lack of preparedness is the greatest threat in almost any disaster.

Yet how many people were wise enough to prepare for such a scenario, even with over a week of forewarning? The answer, sadly, is “not many.” Most people just don’t plan ahead. Most people get stuck in the day-to-day “normalcy bias” of thinking that nothing catastrophic could ever happen to them, so they don’t invest in backup generators, emergency water filters, stored fuel supplies, emergency food and other supplies. Most don’t have a bug-out plan, a bug-out vehicle or even a paper map. So they freak out and add to the burden of problems that impact everyone else. Truly stated, lack of preparedness is the greatest threat in almost any disaster.

Max.

MadMax

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 01:43:15 AM »
Post SHTF: What Will You Do When They Come? How Much Can You Give Away Before Putting Your Own Family In Danger?

http://www.survivaldan101.com/post-shtf-let-family/

There is a common theme amongst preppers. You prepare, want to tell others about your preparations, and want others to prepare – but you’re hesitant to talk about it. You’re afraid that if some serious catastrophe happens, everyone will come to you for help. It’s hard enough prepping for you and your family, let alone prepping for others.

Inevitably someone will find out. Maybe you tell a friend (or two) or maybe a few family members. Maybe you meet someone who is like-minded, so you tell them. Then you realize the people aren’t prepared at all, they just talk about it. Maybe your friends’ idea of prepping is to buy guns and ammo … and nothing else. Who hasn’t heard “if the sh*t goes down I’ll just come to your place”? And you can picture these people rolling into your driveway after the SHTF, guns in hand, expecting to survive anything with their guns and your food. Then you begin to wonder if you should have told anyone at all.

You’ll eventually ask yourself the question, “what will I do if they come?” Could I turn a hungry friend away? Could I turn a friend’s starving child away?

Let’s set the scene. The crap has well and truly hit the fan, it could be a financial collapse, civil unrest, martial law or any other trigger from the list and it’s time to batten down the hatches, escape to your bug out location or retreat to your bunker.

Max.

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 05:39:50 AM »
We have a recently-widowed neighbor behind us in her early 70's who grew up on a mountain in Virginia and has a whole range of firearms which she knows how to use, as well as old-world homesteading skills because they had no electricity.  I've struck an agreement to feed her if she protects us and teaches me everything that she knows.  She has no family of her own to bring into the picture, so it feels like a win-win situation for everyone  :)

« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 09:13:18 AM by R.R. Book »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 02:30:05 PM »
We have a recently-widowed neighbor behind us in her early 70's who grew up on a mountain in Virginia and has a whole range of firearms which she knows how to use, as well as old-world homesteading skills because they had no electricity.  I've struck an agreement to feed her if she protects us and teaches me everything that she knows.  She has no family of her own to bring into the picture, so it feels like a win-win situation for everyone  :)

R.R. how wonderful! her knowledge alone is worth so much!
Bless You for offering to help her...

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 04:42:05 PM »

Consider yourself/your family and her lucky to have found each other.

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 05:34:41 PM »
It's so providential how we met.  We had lived in the same neighborhood for 15 years, and only knew of one another through the boys, who had done some work for her and her husband.  So I had never actually met her myself.  One day I was driving home from an errand and saw her at her mailbox and something told me to stop and speak to her.  She immediately burst out crying, and told me that her husband had just passed away, and shared how shaken up she was to be all alone in the house now.  I had the boys bring her a key to our house, and she has been like family every since.  You probably know what I mean, when you feel like you've always known someone.   :)

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 10:04:43 AM »
It's so providential how we met.  We had lived in the same neighborhood for 15 years, and only knew of one another through the boys, who had done some work for her and her husband.  So I had never actually met her myself.  One day I was driving home from an errand and saw her at her mailbox and something told me to stop and speak to her.  She immediately burst out crying, and told me that her husband had just passed away, and shared how shaken up she was to be all alone in the house now.  I had the boys bring her a key to our house, and she has been like family every since.  You probably know what I mean, when you feel like you've always known someone.   :)
Your intuition no doubt told you to stop that day she was at her mailbox, and isn't it a great thing to have and nurture?   Who knows, she may not be too physically strong, like for lifting things, but am betting she can mend a sock in short order! 

We have a 94 year old friend who is becoming more and more incapacitated all the time, and says he hasn't bought new socks in about 20 years, as he mends every hole that develops.  He also buys socks at thrift shops.  The key, he says, is catching that little hole in the sock when it's less than 1/4".  Imagine a time when stores would not be open, nor would new socks be found anywhere, and how valuable that person would be to a tribe or community, and the community to him.

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 11:16:17 AM »
Absolutely!  :)

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!