Author Topic: Kids clothing in the aftertime  (Read 7560 times)

VillageIdiot

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • View Profile
Re: Kids clothing in the aftertime
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 06:02:54 PM »
I have to study up on this now, first grandson born 6/24/11 5lb 11oz I guess we will be going through clothes real quick.
Congratulations BK!!! How wonderful for you and your family!

Hold on to your socks... In an 18 month period my wife & I went from becoming empty nesters to having 4 (yes four) grandchildren (1 girl & 3 boys).
Live long and prosper!

DrReed

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 02:19:31 PM »
I would think that the tried and true material would be wool for outer garments and even socks.

My parents had a cobblers bench at one time as a piece of furniture, that and some cobblers skill may come in handy in the future. 

I know the Russians used a lot of felt for boots in the past, which I believe was made from animal hair.

chaunska

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 02:50:24 PM »
Mocs are great, but they wear out fast if worn all the time.   They are easy to make by hand.   I make them all the time for our reenactments.   You can double or triple up the soles so rocks don't hurt as much and it keeps you in them longer.   Replacing soles are easier than making a whole new pair.  They don't keep you feet very warm unless you like them with rabbit skins and some wool.    They get wet from dew in the morning.   I wear a pair of wooden shoes over mine in the morning and it works pretty well for morning chores.  I let my kids go barefoot when ever possible including colder weather if they want.   It toughens their feet and then they aren't wearing their mocs all the time and they last longer.   Look me up on facebook, Theresa Saguto.  I have a lot of pictures of them in their buckskins and they last....they are a little harder on their mocs though.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 08:47:37 PM »
Mocs are great, but they wear out fast if worn all the time.   They are easy to make by hand.   I make them all the time for our reenactments.   You can double or triple up the soles so rocks don't hurt as much and it keeps you in them longer.   Replacing soles are easier than making a whole new pair.  They don't keep you feet very warm unless you like them with rabbit skins and some wool.    They get wet from dew in the morning.   I wear a pair of wooden shoes over mine in the morning and it works pretty well for morning chores.  I let my kids go barefoot when ever possible including colder weather if they want.   It toughens their feet and then they aren't wearing their mocs all the time and they last longer.   Look me up on facebook, Theresa Saguto.  I have a lot of pictures of them in their buckskins and they last....they are a little harder on their mocs though.

I think I missed your post...will see the photos, thanks.
- Yowbarb

gattani

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2012, 02:25:50 AM »
I have three kids and a ton of clothes which doesn’t fit them anymore. I stopped buying clothes for my youngest son as he has clothes of his siblings to wear.

gattani

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2012, 03:47:09 AM »
I think in parenting the most difficult part is to dress the kids. Kids grow so fast that their clothes wear out very soon. Even I have a pile for clothes that are almost new as my kid never wore them for more than 3 months.

childrens clothing philadelphia

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2012, 10:04:05 PM »
I have three kids and a ton of clothes which doesn’t fit them anymore. I stopped buying clothes for my youngest son as he has clothes of his siblings to wear.

Gattini, welcome to the Town Hall!
- Yowbarb

gattani

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2012, 01:26:02 AM »
Thanks for having me!! got little busy as my kid got sick....but i m back now...

enlightenme

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2012, 04:21:48 AM »
Thanks for having me!! got little busy as my kid got sick....but i m back now...

So glad to have you back, hope everyone is doing well now!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2012, 12:43:22 AM »
gattini it is so good to see you back.
I hope all is well.
All The Best,
Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2012, 05:22:13 PM »
http://www.primitiveskillslinks.com/clothing.html   Primitive Skills

CLOTHING

Nativetech.org   Quite a few articles regarding clothing made from leather:

http://www.nativetech.org/clothing/index.html
Wildwoodsurvival.com   Birch bark shoes anyone?

http://wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/clothing/index.html
Smokylake.com   A simple article on how to brain tan.

http://www.smokylake.com/history/native/tanning.htm
Braintan.com   Step by step brain tanning, from skinning:

http://www.smokylake.com/history/native/tanning.htm
Rutabaga.com   Traditional wool and oil soaked clothing to keep you dry and warm while tracking:

http://www.rutabaga.com/section.asp?sid=5

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2012, 05:26:17 PM »
Several links on page,
Yowbarb

http://www.knittinghelp.com/free-patterns/categories/childrens-clothes   

Free Knitting Patterns: Children's Clothes

DIY Mommy site  http://thediymommy.com/knit-a-simple-striped-baby-blanket/

:)

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2012, 10:16:45 AM »
I believe knitting will make a big comeback after the shift, and I was just commenting to someone recently how sad it is that sewing, knitting, crochet, quilting, canning, etc, have all become so ignored by the younger generations.  Love the posts.

enlightenme

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2012, 04:38:38 AM »
I believe knitting will make a big comeback after the shift, and I was just commenting to someone recently how sad it is that sewing, knitting, crochet, quilting, canning, etc, have all become so ignored by the younger generations.  Love the posts.

I agree with you on that sentiment!  I also wanted to mention that in my area on Facebook, we now have a local posting where people sell/trade (with an online garage sale) their gently used kids clothing for pennies on the dollar.  Since my daughter is expecting, she was thrilled to find out this information.  She was able to basically "trade" some of her daughters recently outgrown items for new (well used but new) things for her and the baby she is expecting in Jan.  I can certainly see these type of swapping systems being very popular in the aftertimes, even without the computer/online technology being available. 

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2012, 10:03:27 AM »

I agree with you on that sentiment!  I also wanted to mention that in my area on Facebook, we now have a local posting where people sell/trade (with an online garage sale) their gently used kids clothing for pennies on the dollar.  Since my daughter is expecting, she was thrilled to find out this information.  She was able to basically "trade" some of her daughters recently outgrown items for new (well used but new) things for her and the baby she is expecting in Jan.  I can certainly see these type of swapping systems being very popular in the aftertimes, even without the computer/online technology being available.

What a great idea!
 ;D

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!