Author Topic: Green Drinks  (Read 5392 times)

Linda

• Prolific Member
Green Drinks
« on: June 26, 2010, 05:34:03 AM »
Not sure if this is the place to post this, but I read a lot on the healing power of green drinks and using them to bring your health up to a more peak level. I have been drinking them for a few years mainly as green smoothies. The most popular and easy one is a couple handfuls of greens (spinach, romaine, leaf lettuce) add to that a banana and 1 1/2 - 2 cups water,  blend till smooth, drink! Your body will assimilate more vitamins from the greens after being blended, and also being a raw food source, than you could possibly get from eating the same amount by chewing.

Most greens have what is called a cell wall, in order to absorb the max nutrition from the greens you have to break the cell wall, which means chewing them to applesauce consistency. The other problem we have is digesting the tough fibrous parts of the greens, thus the blender does the work for us. You will still get the benefits of the fiber and greens without digestion issues.

These make a great breakfast. If you are planning on getting through the rough times ahead of us,  you are going to need a healthy body to do it. Start now while this stuff is easily available, get more raw foods into your diet. There are tons of recipes for Green Smoothies on the web, so its endless.

I will share a lunch smoothie that is a favorite of mine.
Just put everything in blender until smooth

2 tomatoes
1 stalk celery
handful spinach
handful romaine
half cuke cut up(peeled if wax coated)
dash hot sauce and soy sauce ( I like tamari, its wheat free)
handful of ice, and water (about 1- 1/2 cup)

Note: you can change up the greens to whatever suits your taste buds and availability.

There you have 6 servings of veggies for the day, all raw and full of nutrients, it is your own V6 juice.

Linda :)

recommended reading: Green for life; Victoria Boutenko

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Green Drinks
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 09:10:35 PM »
That's interesting you add the dask of soy sauce. Awhile back we had some oriental salad dressing, made of sesame, ginger, tamari soy sauce and we added it to our drink. The drink had celery and romaine, other things but predomnantly a green drink. Adding the (Annie's) dressing added a subtle flavor,

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 10:05:47 AM »
The soy sauce gives it that kick it needs! ;D

Linda

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 11:44:19 AM »
The soy sauce gives it that kick it needs! ;D

Linda

I find that to be true, of the drinks which are predominanty grrr-eeeen. :D

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 05:10:27 PM »
Our morning drink mixes in the Vitamix start out with juice and ice at the bottom. Dark juice from Costco - a blend of pomegranate and grape/ or OJ. Sometimes some soymilk.
We usually have either romaine lettuce and/or celery, really washed well first.
Often frozen blueberries and/or frozen or fresh bananas.
Some carrots once in awhile some peeled apple and/or cucumber.
We put in a glug of Nature's Plus, Source of Life Liquid whole food concentrate. I couldn't tell you what is the best liquid suppplement, but this has a lot of good stuff including barley, chlorella, spirulina, alfalfa, bee pollen, citrus bioflavanoid, ginseng, PABA., choline and inositol.
Tiny writing so just put on glasses. It has some thngs I didn't know like the astragalus and shisandra which are supposed to be amazing for the liver. Also lingustrum berry. All the vitamins and minerals from A to Z and other trace minerals you don't normally get. I wish it did have blue green algae and I wish it did (not) have the echinacea but it does seem to be helping us all. Echinacea does seem to chase away a cold but it is listed as an "Avoid food" for Type O blood people, like me. We add to that coral calcium and some D3. We don't put in D3 every day.
Sometimes we add some flax meal and yogurt. If it tastes too bitter I add a teaspoon or two of natural agave sweetener, which I love. We have liquid lecithin but I keep it in the fridge so it won't go rancid and it ends up like glue so I am not using it like I should....

Well this sounded like a commercial, but I find I need all this stuff. I take a kelp tablet, B12 part of the time, two Co Q10 capsules a day and the liquid vites and minerals.
\- Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 05:13:53 PM »
BTW I had read about the astragalus and the shisandra many years ago - at that time, it was something new to the western world, I think, back in the early 1980s. It has healed people with terminal liver disease. I knew about it, I just didn't know it is in my liquid vites!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 10:36:18 PM »
Update I drink the Green Machine drink too...

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 05:04:24 AM »
Thanks Barb for bringing this back to the front (does that make sense? lol) and thanks Linda for the recipe!  I'm going to give it a try!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 08:09:34 AM »
Thanks Barb for bringing this back to the front (does that make sense? lol) and thanks Linda for the recipe!  I'm going to give it a try!

Yeah, we do that once in awhile..a topic such as green drinks doesn't go extinct... :) Yes, thanks to Linda.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 12:24:54 PM »
This video is about vegetable and fruit juicing and the wonderful things this can do for a body,
Yowbarb
Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead - Joe Cross appears on The Doctors    5:56  186,387 Views 

Video link:  http://youtu.be/LgjC4zpSFqw

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 06:13:21 PM »

Ditto.  I loved the carrot juice one's but they have all but disappeared from the shelves.
You have to let it all go Neo.  Fear, doubt, and disbelief...  Free your mind.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 07:20:47 PM »

Ditto.  I loved the carrot juice one's but they have all but disappeared from the shelves.

I wonder why...

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 02:46:10 PM »
Daughters making Nutribullet green drinks thank the Lord.  :D
No one made them for a few days due to extra activity, company and projects around the house... I really felt that lack! What kept me going the past couple days was a bottle of green drink from Aldi Mkt. Definitely helped.
Without the green drinks in some form I do downhill fast.  :'(   ;)    ;D   ;D

Nutribullets really do help make it doable. Four of us in the house now, but as long as the kitchen is cleaned up and room to work it will happen.
Right now they are making a green drink with spinach, some kale, chiles from the garden a bit of ginger garlic probably some lemon and apple etc. Yumm...

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 10:28:10 AM »
Update: I like green drinks that are mellowed out with some apple - OR - banana - OR - banana and a few strawberries...

The green drinks with kale, lemon, tumeric, garlic and etc. are so strong and cleansing they give me a headache. Probably an indicator how much I need them!
I just mellow them down though... No headache needed for me, if I do it the right balance for me it is just pure joy and energy. :) Everyone can experiment and see what what works for them.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 10:30:52 AM »
Sometimes just carrot with a bit of apple so nourishing and healing...