Author Topic: Survival Recipes  (Read 23283 times)

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Survival Recipes
« Reply #120 on: March 03, 2015, 04:53:44 PM »
This wild food needs no recipe actually.  It is wintercress and is a broccoli relative.  I try to locate the various plants in late fall or any time in winter so that when it snows I will know exactly where some are.  This came in handy this year. 

Now that snow is here and not going away for a while I decided to rake away the snow and find one.  Sure enough there it is, under snow and ice, still green and ready to harvest.  It would not take too many leaves to make a salad.  I suppose some people will steam it, but I eat it raw, on the go, or in a salad.

Note that snow, ice, and cold temperatures do not bother it.  Now THAT is a survival food.  It will start to get bitter in the spring and then send up a stalk with flowers, then seeds.  Harvest while weather is cold.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #121 on: March 29, 2016, 10:30:50 PM »
http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambianchi/these-tater-tots-are-made-of-broccoli-and-theyre-amazing-as#.ht4ZQbm4KL

These “Tater Tots” Are Made Of Broccoli And They’re Amazing As Life
Tot it up!

Broccoli Tots 

video link: https://youtu.be/PG0GVNN-rm4

Tasty posted on Mar. 19, 2016, at 5:44 p.m.
Published on Mar 19, 2016

INGREDIENTS

12 ounces broccoli, cut into small florets
 ¼ cup scallions, thinly sliced
 2 large garlic cloves, finely diced
 ⅔ cup shredded cheddar cheese
 1 egg, beaten
 ⅔ cup bread crumbs
 Salt & pepper
 Optional: 2 tsp Sriracha (optional but recommended!)

PREPARATION

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Fill a medium saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Aggressively season with salt. Blanch the broccoli in boiling water for about two minutes. Drain and finely chop the cooked broccoli. In a mixing bowl, add broccoli, scallions, garlic, cheddar, egg, and bread crumbs. Optional: Add hot sauce of choice. Mix well and chill in the refrigerator for 15–20 minutes.

Spray a nonstick baking sheet with nonstick spray. Shape the mixture into tot shapes and spread them evenly on the sheet.

Bake for 8–9 minutes. Flip and then bake for an additional 8–9 minutes on the other side until golden brown

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #122 on: December 02, 2016, 05:36:54 PM »
Had a snippet dream last night in which I heard someone say, "You should see the(ir) first aid kits!  You should see how big they are!".

Awoke and realized how tiny our first aid stash is.  I'm thinking blood-stopper, tourniquets, more disinfectant, more sterile micro-tools and probably lots more sterile gauze.  It's so easy to get lax in one area while busy in another.

ilinda - I like how your dreams seem to give specific advice... I will try to cultivate more dreams like that... sometimes upon going to sleep I ask for guidance...

Asking for guidance just before sleep is really GOOD idea, especially accompanied by strong feeling of intention.

I notice many of my snippet dreams seem to occur just before awakening, or they start the process of awakening.   Those snippets showing me eating something very slowly, clearly, and deliberately seem to occur any time, including before awakening.   

One of the funniest was the night after I had eaten a delicious sandwich:  home-baked bread slathered with "Vegannaise", and topped with fresh sliced tomatoes.  That night I dreamed a snippet where I saw my hand, holding the clearly visible Vegannaise jar, and tossing it into the trash! 

No deep thought needed for interpretation.  :-D))

ilinda, thanks for the reminder on the dream instructions... :)
That's cool about your vividly real "vegannaise" dream. I (know) it's not a food topic but O just looked up a vegenaise recipe...:)
These seem to be good ingredients to stock up on... seems like it would keep better than a lot of foods and would make so many things taste better. :)

http://elizabethpalmerkitchen.com/homemade-vegenaise/

Vegenaise, the classic vegan mayonnaise spread, is an easy and delicious substitution when you’re trying to cook healthier and smarter. Even the most health food averse won’t taste the difference. With countless uses, ranging from the expected mayo-Vegenaise swap to the unexpected uses in baked goods, soups, creamy pasta sauces, and beyond, Vegenaise has become an indispensable ingredient in my cooking. But at upwards of four dollars a jar, it made sense to figure out how to make it at home. It’s also not widely found everywhere, so this recipe comes in handy if you’re in a place that doesn’t sell it. The recipe below can easily be doubled, and it keeps as long as your soy milk would. Store in mason jars in your fridge.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup full-fat soy milk (unsweetened and non-flavored)
1/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon honey {or light organic agave or maple syrup if you are vegan}
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 cup grapeseed oil
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
Directions:

Place all the ingredients except the oil in a blender and blitz on high-speed until creamy and combined. With your blender on a low speed, slowly stream in the oil to emulsify the mixture. Scrape down the sides of your blender, mix again, and season to taste, adding more salt, pepper, lemon, or mustard as needed. If your mix comes out too thick, add a splash of water or almond milk. If it comes out too thin, add a bit more olive oil or grapeseed oil. It will thicken significantly as it chills in your fridge. Give the jar a good shake before you enjoy it.

Note: The soy milk seems to work best here, providing a thicker result than any other non-dairy milk.

Photo Credit: www.followyourheart.com
Your vegennaise recipe looks MUCH BETTER than the one on the brand name Vegannaise, which contains canola oil.  IIRC, the label boasted that this mayonnaise substitute "contains olive oil", but upon close inspection of the label, one notes the canola oil.  My understanding from a book I read a few years ago (will supply title when I find it), is that canola oil was never eaten by humans in antiquity, but in recent years, someone decided, "hey, we can extract the oil from this seed and sell it as cooking oil/eating oil".

The book mentioned how, IIRC, canola oil causes clumping of blood platelets and warned the reader to never eat canola.  I'll find that book and post a few quotes from it, as it sold me on never eating any more canola.

I'm not vegan but usually avoid conventional eggs, conventional oils, etc., but when making one's own "mayo", one is free to improvise a lot.

NOTE:  This thread had evolved from a dream discussion, but it evolved into a food discussion, so here it is.

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Premier Limited Edition
Offer Ends July 31, 2016

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Survival Seed Vault

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!