Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: Cast iron cookware  (Read 1907 times)

Icon

Cast iron cookware
« on: August 21, 2010, 09:25:07 PM »
This will be one of the most important item you will have. Aluminum and stainless cookware may be OK in the kitchen, bit cast iron is a must for survival.
A couple Dutch ovens, a stew pot, some different size skillets and a flat pan for bread cakes or whatever would be a great addition to your supplies.
A tripod is really nice also so you can hang a pot over the fire for cooking, tho I have just sat the pot on the hot coals and cooked that way.
Ebay is a great place to find used cast iron, as well as flea markets and antique malls. Some of the older stuff is actually collectors items and I would stay away from that, as well as China made cast iron.
Lodge is a great USA made brand and comes in all the sizes and shapes you will need.
And using it around the house is great also... the guy of the house will start using a stew pot or dutch over for beans and chili, just cause it's the manly way of cooking,,, and any cornbread lover know cast iron is the only decent way to cook cornbread.
If I had to load up and leave my area, I would take at least a decent size dutch oven.
I personally think cast iron will be very valuable and highly sought after. 

noproblemo2

Re: Cast iron cookware
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 09:55:32 AM »
Cast iron pans could also be useful for whacking someone over the head if need be, they are very heavy. A good self defense idea too,,

Road Warrior

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 11:20:52 AM »
we have 3 cast iron frying pans which are used daily ..we have a 14" which I like to make spaghetti in , a 10 inch for eggs and such then a smaller 8 inch which I use to saute' foods like mushrooms and onions etc .

they hold the heat alot better and are perfect on the wood stove.

just a little tip , don't scrub them clean like normal alluminum pans ...and before you start to cook with a new one you have to break it in.

put it on the stove at medium heat and add a 1/4  cup of lard ..don't let it smoke or burn ...the oil gets in the pores and helps to create a non stick surface . after you cook hamburger or bacon in it rinse off with hot water and a rag ..don't clean it right out or it will stick every time ..takes a little getting used to would assume but for me I grew up on a trapline in the middle of the north and that is all that we ever used .
If you completly wash it out spic and span every time you will have a pan that will rust on you so definatley don't clean it as much

happy cooking

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 11:24:25 AM »
Good post, cast iron cookware along with the enamel coated cast iron are pretty much all I use as well, best stuff around and you will never need to replace them. Always season them with a little oil rubbed in and wiped off with paper towel to keep them sealed after each use.

Linda :) :)
Linda :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!