Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System 
Surviving the Planet X Tribulation

Author Topic: Find Your Survival Place: Land ads, misc postings  (Read 94489 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Find Your Survival Place: Land ads, misc postings
« Reply #150 on: March 15, 2014, 05:02:19 PM »
After looking about three times, I cannot seem to find the post I wanted to reply to.  It was within the last week or so and someone was talking about how it's time to start garden seeds and it would be good to discuss it like in years past.

Well, I'm new here but am also interested in talking about starting and growing nuts, fruits, and veggies.  In fact this year I learned something totally by accident.  For years I have tried to germinate almonds, with no success.  And nowadays it is hard to buy raw organic almonds due to the new USDA regulation that prevents almonds being sold raw, EXCEPT if sold by the actual growers.  Otherwise, you can be sure that even if labeled "Raw", they are most likely sterilized with ionizing radiation. 

We did find a source of raw organic almonds and bought several pounds, whiich we eat very slowly, so they last quite a while.  Well, last fall, perhaps November or so, I was wanting to snack on some almonds, but my teeth (have upper and lower partials) don't chew almonds well, so I decided to soak them overnight.  For some unknown reason I decided to soak them in raw organic whey, instead of water.  The next morning after soaking overnight, the almonds had swelled up more than I anticipated, and it was then that I made the decision to plant some of them, so searched on internet how to germinate almond seeds.  Basically soak overnight, plant in pots in nice potting soil, and "stratify" them in fridge over the winter or at least a month or two, then place on top of fridge or on counter at room temperature.  They should sprout soon.  I did everything as described, except I did soak them in the whey instead of water.

Well, in the last week I noticed tiny green leaflets in one "cell" and just this morning noted a second is trying to push up.  This is truly an exciting time because a couple of years ago I bought 4 almond trees, two of which promptly died.  A neighbor planted two and one died shortly thereafter.  I get the feeling the nursery trees might not all be hardy.  At any rate, if these continue, at least here's another shot at growing almonds. 

In the pic, the larger of the two germinating almonds is on the right, and the second one is so tiny it needs to be pointed out as in the cell to the upper left of the obvious green leaflets.

ilinda great post and thanks for sharing that info and images.
 :)
- Yowbarb

enlightenme

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #151 on: March 15, 2014, 09:22:23 PM »
Also, What I usually do when I'm trying to find a topic, is go to the search feature (from the home page only) and enter the key words you remember.  That usually gets me there.  Or, you can look at the most recently posted topics/posts, at the bottom of the home page, and scroll back.  That's just a suggestion for you.  I really liked your post on the Almonds.  Thanks, and we'll get there...Happy Gardening 2014!! 

ilinda

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #152 on: March 16, 2014, 03:11:48 PM »
Also, What I usually do when I'm trying to find a topic, is go to the search feature (from the home page only) and enter the key words you remember.  That usually gets me there.  Or, you can look at the most recently posted topics/posts, at the bottom of the home page, and scroll back.  That's just a suggestion for you.  I really liked your post on the Almonds.  Thanks, and we'll get there...Happy Gardening 2014!!

SEARCH!  Thanks for the reminder of something I should have known. 

enlightenme

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #153 on: March 16, 2014, 04:40:10 PM »
 ;D Your Welcome!  ;)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #154 on: May 20, 2014, 11:32:26 AM »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #155 on: May 30, 2014, 09:36:03 AM »
2+ acres.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Land-for-Sale-2-Acres-Acreage-near-Fishing-Boating-Hunting-and-New-York-State-/221438113822?pt=Land&hash=item338ebd781e

Land for Sale 2 Acres - Acreage near Fishing Boating Hunting and New York State 

Great parcel located 2 hours from New York City

Time left: 11d 07h  (Jun 10, 2014 17:00:18 PDT)    US $1,125.00     5 bids
Acreage: 

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #156 on: May 30, 2014, 12:26:03 PM »
Enlightenme, belated acknowledgement to your post back in March.  ???   ;)
Survival Realty seems pretty good.  ;D
Here are two sites I randomly stumbled upon today:

http://www.eaglestar.net/Properties/Prepper_Homes_Properties/index.html

SURVIVALIST / PREPPER HOMES & PROPERTIES AVAILABLE
Off grid homes, secluded, private, remote, improved properties with cabins, homes, land and buildings that may be suitable for those who are actively preparing for emergencies, including possible disruptions in social or political order.
Yowbarb Note: This one doesn;t seem to have much besides Florida. Will  take a closer look.
http://www.beamanbuyland.com/  Be A Man Buy Land

steedy

« Reply #157 on: May 31, 2014, 05:12:55 PM »
Is there any formula to be able to tell how much land you will need?  I have a basic idea of how much I'll need, but I have recently been wondering if what I think would be way too much.  I'm really interested in knowing how many acres of forest do you need to be able to keep a fire going in the winter for one fireplace.

Jimfarmer

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #158 on: June 01, 2014, 07:06:11 AM »
Is there any formula to be able to tell how much land you will need? ...   I'm really interested in knowing how many acres of forest do you need to be able to keep a fire going in the winter for one fireplace.

Good point.  Google "firewood yield per acre" for a start.
There will be several variables, of course.  For one thing, the colder the climate, the more firewood needed and the less produced per acre.

Examples from http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/general-homesteading-forums/homesteading-questions/251072-cords-firewood-per-acre.html:

The old rule of thumb is 1 cord per acre with minimal management, ...  on average, a one cord (4'x4'x 8') sustainable yield of firewood can be be ..

The common practice up here is that you need 10 acres of woodlot to provide firewood to heat a reasonably well insulated house through the winter.

SocratesR

« Reply #159 on: July 09, 2014, 12:54:26 AM »
In 2009 i figured i'd try to be prepared for a stone age level event with the end of 2012 in mind. I was in a rush since i did not consider it much time to prepare. With 20-20 hindsight it turned out to be premature but it was a learning experience from which i took much wisdom. Here are a few of the things i learned from that.
I went with a spoiler spouse to the Canary Island of La Gomera. We had rented a house in a valley that consisted of a winding road along a valley hill. It was a semi-arid climate with loads of rain in winter but dry summers. It could get very windy, even the 10 miles inland where i was situated. The hills around the house went up to about 800m; the road and house were at about 200m. At the bottom ran a stream year round.

1: do not trust the opinions of locals; i don't speak Spanish but we met a German couple who spoke some English and i speak some German. They'd lived on the island in the same valley we were for 17 years. So when the German told me that the stream running by our house would dry up in a few months [i.e. during summer], i believed him. However, even though it was a dry summer, the stream never dried up. The trickle of water coming down might not have been much but if i had gone to work to utilize it, it would have been more than enough for the garden below our house.
2: locals don't get around much; i found a friggin' paradise valley next to the one where we had rented the house. [I'd seen it on Google Maps.] The locals i spoke to, some of which had lived there 30 years, had never been over the ridge to visit it. It took me some effort to find an efficient route and then it took me 90 minutes to get there as opposed to the 4 hours it took me the first time.  The valley had a pristine stream running through it, with beautiful pools and oasis type natural enclosures along the stream to shelter from sun and wind. Paradise! I loved being there. But the locals act like it doesn't exist because there's no road running to it.
2b: with the exception of goat herders, locals don't get around much. And even then they often let their herds run wild, counting on them to return to base on their own. After all, that's the basic idea of goats: they go where no man can go and live off the land that's useless for farming, then you milk or slaughter them at your leisure.
3: water is everything! As a city slicker, i was confounded by what i had to do; plant seeds? Dig up the hard earth? Trees or plants? So many questions. I should have realized everything is moot without water. What i should have done was get the water from the stream running along the house to my garden. Hell, the garden even had a ditch running through it. Water could have softened the soil so it would've been easier to dig and it would have prepared the soil for new life. Instead, watering the garden turned out to be a terrible chore. I learned the hard way that there's nothing more tedious than doing the same work over and over again every day, like standing there (like an idiot) watering the garden for 1 or 2 hours a day.
4: the spoiler spouse; you can work your fingers to the bone for years but the spoiler spouse will stab you in the back in the end. You're better off on your own than taking on work that will ultimately lead to nothing. Though my 5 months on the island were very educational, it is frustrating to have nothing to show for all your effort in the end.
4b: bad folk will chase good folk away; it's bad enough that the spoiler spouse goes away in the end, but while she's there she will [all subconsciously of course] attack any good folk you try to bring into the fold. Then in the end you're left with nothing and all alone.
5: other people's animals are a disaster; i built makeshift dams and rerouted water, only to return later to find the dam destroyed. What had happened? The goats that occasionally visited my paradise valley were nubians and quite heavy; the herd of around 20 goats destroyed my work by walking over it and they ate everything i'd planted and nurtured. I hadn't even ever seen a goat there so i thought i was okay! In retrospect, even if that herd only came by once a year, they would destroy everything in minutes. It's not just animals outside, though; it's other people's dogs and roosters that irritated me most. I don't get why anyone would disturb their own peace by having an animal that makes so much noise at night, but apparently almost all of them just don't give a damn if their animals disturb other people every single night either. To me it's just crazy. It's also very common.
6: animals do amazing things: i herded a goat into a corner, i thought, and saw it jump up a 3m steep incline in seconds! I once saw a rabbit on the road that got spooked by my car lights and it shot straight up, jumping at least 2 meters ballistically! I saw goats easily walk along footholds in seconds that took me minutes to traverse. It takes a whole lot to fence animals in or out.
7: there is great peace and beauty out in nature alone, but there is also loneliness; i never feel lonely or bored when i'm at home (even if i'm alone for months). I was surprised to find that i would spend hours just sitting on my butt, not able to get my ass in gear no matter how much work i thought was necessary. I had food, i wasn't tired, but i could just not deal with the utter solitude well. I later found that an MP3 player worked well, but i didn't have a solar panel back then and it ran out after a few hours (so i still had days of quiet to contend with). I did not expect to be struck by such lethargy. It's not the kind of person i am. I'm a glass half full kind of person. Being utterly alone in nature has unique effects and it can take up a lot of hours in the day. Walking is alright but constructive work is another story.
8: Ghosts and spirits; seriously. Literally. I experienced energies and presences out there that would give me awful dreams. Later at the house, a ghost started making digging sounds in the garden at 02:00 every night. It started when someone bought up the ruin next door and started building a house there. [Another lesson! People can come to destroy your peace.] Later i learned to get rid of the ghost and i sent it on it's way. It started with digging sounds every night but then also nightmares started. When i woke up one night with physical pain in my chest after getting attacked in my dream, i decided the ghost had to go and i got rid of it (because i'd learned how but had been hesitant to apply the technique). In my paradise valley i was accosted by unfriendly spirits. Later i learned that spirits can't cross running water and that's why they usually don't bother people in cities. I learned the hard way why cultures all over the world have been obsessed by shamans and witches and other folk who learn how to deal with such things. If i make myself a new location somewhere, i'll arrange streams between which i can sleep at night.
9: I became a lot stronger and lost a lot of weight very quickly; when you have to carry everything you eat on your back, you stick to the essentials. I would eat an apple and nuts in the morning; for lunch crushed oats, flax seed, dried fruit, and coconut oil; in the evening i would have a tin of fish or egg, garlic, mayo, onion, and beets or carrot. I found that i needed something around 4 [16:00]; now i would bring along goji berries and hemp seeds, as well. I was often hungry but not starving. When one loses the option of food as comfort food (since then you'd quickly be out of food), you're left with loneliness. My diet got me very strong and a lot thinner. It served me well and i never heated a thing.
10: climate and daily cycles; even though it could get very hot in summer, i found that i could get a lot of work done in the early hours of the day before it became hot. Even in the worst months i could start at 06:00 and work till 09:00. In my paradise valley i could retreat to groves with trees even during blistering heat. I found that the semi arid climate left me with ample opportunities for success, much more than i had previously thought possible.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 03:14:04 AM by SocratesR »

RON

« Reply #160 on: July 10, 2014, 07:15:50 AM »
HELLO TO ALL;    (BOY AM I GLAD I SPELL CHECKED THIS MY SALUTATION WAS "HELL TO ALL" MY KEYS STICK ALONG WITH BRAIN)
I am new here so pardon my ignorance.  I have only been searching for years now to obtain a comprehensive truth of what is to take place astronomically.  I have lost 20 lbs. with Agata, Italian for worry and concern.

CAN ANY ONE ADVISE HOW I CAN EMAIL MARSHALL MASTERS?
I DID A WIKIPIEDIA ON HIM AND THE NAY SAYERS HAVE TOTALLY DEBUNKED HIM.  VERY SAD AS HE IS ONE OF THE FEW OR PERHAPS THE ONLY ONE FOR ME TO EXPLAIN THE TRUTH IN SUCH A COMPREHENSIVE MANNER.

QUESTION AT HAND:  I LIVE IN SOUTHERN NEW JERSEY INLAND BY 50 MILES; HOWEVER, THE DELAWARE BAY IS 10 MILES AWAY AND TWO OTHER LARGE RIVERS CLOSE BY.  NEEDLESS TO SAY IT IS MY UNDERSTANDING I MUST BE 100 - 150 MILES INLAND.  THE EASTERN PART OF THE UNITED STATES IS RIDDLED WITH NUCLEAR POWER PLANTS WHICH IS A CONCERN.  I WAS SERIOUSLY LOOKING AT THE APPALACHIAN / BLUE RIDGE MOUNTAIN RANGE BUT THE NUC'S SCARE ME.  SO WITH THAT SAID:

A)  GIVEN THE ABOVE WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE TO RELOCATE IN THE USA AWAY FROM NUCLEAR, VOLCANIC ACTIVITY, AND EARTH QUAKE DOOM?

1)  IS THERE A PLACE CLOSER TO MY HOME IN SOUTHERN NEW JERSEY AS THE APPALACHIAN MOUNTAINS CONTINUE N/E THROUGH PENNSYLVANIA UP TO MANE I BELIEVE?

2)  JOEL SKOUSEN'S BOOK "STRATEGIC RELOCATION 3RD EDITION" AS SEEN ON ALEX JONES'S INFO WARS YOU TUBES, STATES THE CUMBERLAND PLATEAU IS A GOOD LOCATION, BUT IT APPEARED TO BE SAFE FROM OTHERS; I.E. OUT OF HARMS WAY MOUNTAINS AND SUCH.  TENN. HAS NUCLEAR FACILITIES AS DOES GA., N.C., S.C. VA., AND MANY MORE.

3)  WHAT SAY YOU ABOUT KENTUCKY AND WEST VIRGINIA?  OR THE WILDERNESS OF WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA?

B)  TYPE OF DWELLINGS THAT WILL WITHSTAND METEOR SHOWERS OF CONSEQUENCE? 

1)  I PURCHASED A FIFTH WHEEL 41 FT. SELF CONTAINED WITH METAL/ ALUMINUM SIDING UNKNOWINGLY BUT VERY THANKFUL NOW THAT IT COULD PERHAPS ACT AS A FARIDAY CAGE.  PATTI BRASSARD SAID BURY A CAMPER 3 FT. BELOW THE SURFACE FOR RADIATION PURPOSES BUT THIS IS NOT GOING TO SURVIVE HEAVY METEOR ACTIVITY.

1)  CEMENT DWELLING ARE TALKED ABOUT AND I SPOKE TO A RETIRED ARMY VET WHO PURCHASED A LARGE QUANCET METAL BUILDING FOR HIS 40 FT. MOTOR HOME.

C)  COMMUNITIES WHO LIVE OFF GRID IN SURVIVALIST MODE?  I FOUND A FEW ON IN S.C. NEAR ASCHVILLE BUT NUCLEAR IS NEAR.

IN JUNE OF 2013 I ROAD CROSS COUNTRY ON MY MOTORCYCLE CAMPING ALONG THE WAY I 40 TO ARIZONA HOPING THAT THE SHOW LOW AZ, WHITE MOUNTAINS MAY BE A POSSIBILITY.  IT SEEMS TOO REMOTE FROM ONE TOWN TO ANOTHER??

I APOLOGIZE FOR ALL THIS, BUT JUDGING FROM ALL THE CHATTER HERE, I AM BEHIND IN A TIME LINE TO PREPARE.
I AM A SINGLE MAN AND I AM QUITE CAPABLE AND IN GOOD HEALTH AT 69 AS OF 6/17.  I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT FARMING, CANNING, NOR ELECTRICAL, BUT I AM GOOD WITH MY HANDS:)

SEE YOU ON THE BACK SIDE BUT HOPEFULLY HEAR FROM SOMEONE SOONER:)

RON

Jimfarmer

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #161 on: July 10, 2014, 08:34:07 AM »
Hi Ron, Welcome to PX Town Hall.

Here is one topic about locations and shelters:

Planet X Town Hall »
    Barb Townsend (Yowbarb) »
    Survival Shelter and Location Ideas (Members Only) »
    Favorable Locations

http://planetxtownhall.com/index.php?topic=1415.0

steedy

« Reply #162 on: July 10, 2014, 06:52:41 PM »
Hey Ron, personally my vote goes for WV.  But if you had to choose elsewhere, KY or TN would be good bets too.  They are basically like WV, but stay away from the cities.

Jimfarmer

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #163 on: July 10, 2014, 08:11:09 PM »
Hi Ron and Steedy:

Consider also climate after the pole shift, as well as safety before and after.

See http://planetxtownhall.com/index.php?topic=5142.msg72584#msg72584

and see attached map of latitudes in the western hemisphere after the pole shift.

SocratesR

« Reply #164 on: July 10, 2014, 09:00:54 PM »
Consider the past; unless you're a creationist who believes mankind has no genetic link to the past and just popped into existence a few thousand years ago [sic], there was a previous global 'civilization' that was wiped out [the one that put pyramids and other massive constructs all over the world, about 3300 of them in all]. So what location will allow you to survive mankind being thrown back into the stone age... again? That is the question, not "Can i find a place near me?"

The previous global destruction left the Americas void of human life. That should tell you something. The largest and most geologically stable/safe continent, by all accounts, is Africa [also Indonesia and Papua]. This is where mankind picked up the pieces 12,000 years ago. [See my post Atlas mountains Morocco.]
So, the U.S.A.? Tomatoes tomatoes, potatoes potatoes... Sure, that's easy. Judging by history, though, any place in the Americas is suicidal.

IMHO

[I do not judge you or reject you for seeking a solution that's easy and close to home. However, i feel that you are better served by my honest opinion in life-or-death matters, than that you would be served by information that sounds comforting but is essentially wrong and would lead to failure. Namaste.]
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 09:12:01 PM by SocratesR »

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Radio Free Earth: Community Preparedness and Two Way Radios

BUY NOW

In a post-global disaster world, predators and tyrants will have the best two-way radios, and they'll use them to surveil you at a comfortable distance.

What will you have? Signal flares and red bandannas?

If so, when you least expect it, the predators and tyrants will come to take a spoil and they will torture, rape, and kill without mercy.

This is why Radio Free Earth authors Marshall Masters and Duane W. Brayton have an urgent message for everyone with a serious interest in preparedness. That being, analog RF (radio frequency) is the heartbeat of freedom. Accept no substitutes.

Watch our free videos to learn how to stay safe and free with an affordable strategy for two way communication, both near and far.

Welcome to Radio
Free Earth

Why Radio
Free Earth

Post-Disaster
Communications

Citizens Band Radios
for Survival

BUY NOW