Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System 
Surviving the Planet X Tribulation

Author Topic: Survival First Aid Kits  (Read 2683 times)

noproblemo2

Survival First Aid Kits
« on: November 15, 2010, 04:13:54 PM »
Starter First aid items to have on hand, personally would have way more of each of these items, plus we can add to this list here too. Ok, who has more suggestions ???
5 EA Alcohol Prep Pads
20 EA Benzalkonium Chloride (BZK) Antiseptic Towelettes
6 EA Compress (Pressure) Bandage - Sterile - 10.8 x 8.9 cm (4-1/4" x 3-1/2")
6 EA Povidone Iodine Pads
3 PAIR Medical Grade Vinyl Gloves
1 EA Splinter Forcepts - Stainless Steel
1 EA Small Instant Cold Pack
2 EA Anti-Biotic Hand Cleaner
40 EA Elastic Fabric Bandage - 7.6cm x 2.2cm
5 EA Elastic Fabric Fingertip Bandage - 5.1cm x 4.4cm
5 EA Elastic Fabric Knuckle Bandage - 7.6cm x 3.8cm
10 EA Self Adhesive Wound Dressing - Sterile - 4" x 4"
48 EA Gauze Pad - Sterile, 12ply - 3" x 3"
2 RL Surgical Tape - 1/2" x 5yd
12 EA Triangular Bandage - Compressed
12 RL Gauze Bandage Roll - 1" x 5yd
8 RL Gauze Bandage Roll - 2" x 5yd
8 RL Gauze Bandage Roll - 4" x 5yd
4 EA Safety Pin - Assorted 6 Pack
1 EA Paramedic Shears - 5 1/2"
1 EA Emasin Basin - 500ml - Plastic
1 RL Elastic Tension Bandage - 4" x 5yd - Latex Free
2 EA Splint Padding
1 EA Splints - 6 Pieces MDF - Assorted Sizes
1 BOOK WSIB Approved First Aid Manual
1 LABL First Aid Kit Inspection Card

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Survival First Aid Kits
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 08:53:46 AM »
We have some overlapping topics going on. It's good to have this separate Board here though.
I am all in favor of it.  8)

(I will splice in some of the med list things from there. )
How bout I start an alpha list here. I want to add a tourniquet kit to the list.
Back soon

Planet X Hitchhiker's Guide to Internet Survival Sites ยป Ideas: Where to purchase survival gear, supplements, meds, supplies all kinds   
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 09:21:45 AM by Yowbarb »

noproblemo2

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 09:06:37 AM »
Good idea, one food, one first aid so as not confuse ourselves.

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 09:38:01 AM »
I purchased a nice medical first aid kit off ebay, and supplemented it with extra bandaids and antibiotic cream. I can make a tourniquet out of most anything, if needed, especially my belt. There are food first aid response kits. I personally think a person can make their own, a lot easier and more specific to their tastes.  ed

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Survival First Aid Kits: Blood-stopping difficult wounds
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 07:42:35 AM »
ZeroHedge posted an article on more-advanced bleed-stopping bandage kits that now include a chest-wound sealant:

https://www.zerohedge.com/health/hundreds-bleed-control-kits-issued-bars-across-london

There are two types of chest-wound bandages: one for sucking chest wounds that puncture the pleura (33% of battle chest wounds), and one for chest wounds that simply bleed (60% of battle chest wounds).  The first type for a sucking wound excludes outside air but permits gasses and fluids to escape, thus reducing pressure around the heart and allowing the trachea to draw sufficient air into the alveoli.  The second or compression-only type creates a non-permeable seal.  Both types are coated on one side with an adhesive gel designed to seal completely even on top of wet or hairy skin, and are as simple to use as sticking the bandage directly over an entry or exit hole:

https://www.amazon.com/LINE2design-Chest-Seal-Latex-Free-Responders/dp/B07Y8PYRF7/ref=sr_1_2_sspa

https://www.amazon.com/North-American-Rescue-Hyfin-Chest/dp/B00KQS2NGK/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=chest+wound+seal&qid=1574348247&sr=8-3

https://www.ems1.com/ems-products/bleeding-control/articles/military-use-of-chest-seals-and-tourniquets-lessons-for-ems-kmsgDUP74jEc1eYf/

I also found this kaolin-clay impregnated bandage intended to stop bleeding 5 times faster than normal gauze.  It's said to be for external use only, but its packaging suggests that it may be used for a superficial gunshot wound, which might involve tamping an entry or exit hole that doesn't penetrate deeply or into the chest:

https://www.amazon.com/QuikClot-Advanced-Clotting-Kaolin-Strips/dp/B00HJTH5L2/ref=sr_1_15?dchild=1&hvadid=78065367784605&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=bleed+control+kit&qid=1574347757&sr=8-15

This article on "Israeli bandages" suggests an old-fashioned method of blood-stopping: insert a rock or other hard object into a compression bandage while dressing wounds for regular, continuous pressure while your hands remain free to keep working.  Factory-made versions now exist, and instructions are linked on this page for how to bandage various different body parts.  The hard plastic bar is used in lieu of a rock:

https://insidefirstaid.com/bleeding/what-is-and-how-to-use-israeli-bandage

This kit appears to contain all of the above:
https://www.amazon.com/MediTac-Premium-IFAK-Kit-Tourniquet/dp/B07CG9HFSF/ref=sr_1_1_sspa

Lastly, I will mention that in this household, in the past I have blood-stopped more superficial wounds on difficult-to-bandage locations such as chin and scalp, which are locations that bleed more profusely than the injury is deep,  by using either chili powder or cayenne pepper.  Both are capable of sterilizing, cauterizing and anaesthetizing wounds, as well as expediting well-formed scabs.  However, I have found chili to excel in stickiness for difficult bends, while cayenne's heat provides a superior anaesthetic (after a brief burning sensation).  My results when used during a trip away from civilization have been approved by our family's pediatrician, who was pleased with a scalp scab that was well-formed when he viewed it the next day.

Cayenne, BTW, is the same ingredient used in styptic pens to stop shaving nicks from bleeding.

If any member of Town Hall has emergency medical experience, either in a military or civilian setting, please post your own experiences!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 10:05:48 AM by R.R. Book »

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Radio Free Earth: Community Preparedness and Two Way Radios

BUY NOW

In a post-global disaster world, predators and tyrants will have the best two-way radios, and they'll use them to surveil you at a comfortable distance.

What will you have? Signal flares and red bandannas?

If so, when you least expect it, the predators and tyrants will come to take a spoil and they will torture, rape, and kill without mercy.

This is why Radio Free Earth authors Marshall Masters and Duane W. Brayton have an urgent message for everyone with a serious interest in preparedness. That being, analog RF (radio frequency) is the heartbeat of freedom. Accept no substitutes.

Watch our free videos to learn how to stay safe and free with an affordable strategy for two way communication, both near and far.

Welcome to Radio
Free Earth

Why Radio
Free Earth

Post-Disaster
Communications

Citizens Band Radios
for Survival

BUY NOW