ilinda - SURVIVAL HEALTH > Survival Recipes of the World

Cheap, filling meal ideas for the Aftertimes

(1/3) > >>

Yowbarb:
Cheap, filling meals.
Tempura is the first thing that comes to mind. Using up leftover vegetable and meat scraps, as long as they are still good, and rinsed off and chopped up...
A person could folow a traditional Tempura recipe or concoct one out of the dry ingredients on hand... various types of flour... perhaps some corn flakes...
Whatever works.
I suggest to serve tempura with tamari soy sauce. The special fermentation helps give more protein and it keeps longer. It is more expensive so any kind of soysauce or whatever available would be OK. Soysauce and jars of various dipping sauces would be good to add to the survival food list. These things help a person to serve up fods that other wise might not be eaten... they make them more palatable, and as I said tempura is cheap and a way to use of vegetables... Note: Thre are a lot of different ways to make tempura batter this is one way, ingredients listed farther below. Next post will have more detailed directions and eventually will try to post a large batch recipe, which would be needed if you end up cooking for a lot of people in the Aftertimes, and stretching the food. - Yowbarb
...Image: Batter-fried vegetable assortment ...
http://www.homewithmandy.com/2010/09/tempura-veggies.html
Home With Mandy:
"So I went for it. I made tempura red bell pepper, tempura broccoli, tempura zucchini chips and of course tempura asparagus (the veggie that started it all!)

My favorite were the red bell pepper, which I cut into strips. I would also like to try the bell pepper cut into rings, I think that would be a great contrast to all the other "sticks" on the plate. Onion would be great in rings too! I cut the zucchini into chips, and those were SO tasty! I whipped up the dipping sauce from the original recipe made with yogurt, honey and dijon...but I think a homemade ranch would be excellent here. Maybe Chipotle Ranch or Creamy Jalapeno Ranch recipe?!?! Both are excellent choices."
Some of Mandy's recipe ideas this is her dipping sauce (remember soysauce will work, too. - YB)
Mandy: "Speaking of the amazing dipping sauce, here is what you will need:
1/4 C Yogurt
2 T Mayo
2 T Dijon Mustard
1 T Honey"

Mandy's Step-by-step tempura directions on this page:
http://www.homewithmandy.com/2008/11/tempura-asparagus.html

".. move on to the batter. You will need:
3/4 C Flour
1/2 C Cornstarch
1/4 C Sesame Seeds
3/4 t Salt
1/2 t baking soda
Club soda: Add 1 Cup seltzer (at room temperature.)
All The directions on this page:
http://www.homewithmandy.com/2008/11/tempura-asparagus.html

Yowbarb:

--- Quote from: BajaSusan on February 02, 2011, 09:26:36 AM ---Barb, really sounds good with veggies etc..... Link has a lot of good recipes Thanks

--- End quote ---
Thanks, for some reason I thought of tempura today...
My mom gave me A Tree Grows In Brooklyn to read, when I was about eleven, and it had an effect on me.
The mother Katy would take bread crumbs or stale bread, roll them all up and fry them in hot grease then serve up a whole big bunch of them with catsup and act like it was a special treaat. The reason? There was nothing in the house at the time but bread, lard and catsup. The kids gobbled it up... during the Great Depression...

http://www.teachwithmovies.org/guides/tree-grows-in-brooklyn-VHScover.jpg

Yowbarb:

--- Quote from: Steve_T on February 02, 2011, 09:55:24 AM ---That looks tasty.

--- End quote ---

Yes, doesn't it? I think I want to use this as a budget stretcher...
I haven't cooked it since I was macrobiotic vegetarian decades ago...

Yowbarb:
A couple of cooking tips for tempura batter. Hot oil and ice cold tempura batter!
Re Hot oil:
I was watching Oriental food cooking show on the TV several years ago.
The Chef said with his Chinese accent, "if there's a bubble, no trouble."
What he did was watch the oil as it was heating up in an iron pan.
Periodically he would put a dry long metal spoon down to the bottom of the pan.
Nothing. Then the next time he checked it, when he put the metal spoon down to the bottom of the pan, there appeared two or three little bubbles right next to the spoon. He said that's it now you can cook in the oil. "Bubble means no trouble."

When I made tempura I did mix up the batter and then get the batter nice and cold.
I made sure the oil was hot but not burning.
Dropping the tempura coated vegetables in the pot wasn't hard to do. With a metal slotted spoon it's not difficult to turn them over. With trial and error and a little sampling you can make the tempura done enough.
Macrobiotic cooking recommends cold pressed sesame or corn or peanut.
If cooking for a large survival crowd make sure no one has peanut allergy.
You can use any type of vegetable scrap whatsoever as long as it is still fresh enough.
I didn't try cooking meats or fish at the time but that should be easy. I'd say just make sure it is done enough.
Over use of foods cooked in hot oil is not a good idea, but periodic use is fine. This is a real budget stretcher.
Investigate where you can get bulk good quality flours.
There are pre-made tempura mixes but fairly expensive and tiny quantities.
I am thinking bulk quantity plain old Bisquick - type complete baking mix would be good. And or aka complete pancake mix.

The other day we had some leftover complete pancake mix I had kept for quite awhile.
(Daughter and I were on a diet and not eating so many pancakes but I had kept the mix in a sealed plastic container.)
It was time to cook my son something.
I took chicken breasts, quickly sliced them up and made a batter dip. Dry pancake mix, mixed with salt, pepper, Cajun seasoning (Popeyes Brand).  All I did was coat the chicken in the dry mix.
Dropped it all in a big pan of hot oil. Turned once. Easy fast yumm.
It might have been even better with moist pancake batter.

You get the idea. Flour and mixes will come in handy in the future.

If someone is able to get some game, fish, or use up canned meats etc.  some of it  taste better, breaded.

Ideas anyone?
Yowbarb

Yowbarb:
BTW the Chinese cook I was referring to in previous post was not cooking Japanese tempura.  ;D He was demonstrating proper techniques cooking foods in hot oil, as
part of Oriental cooking.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version