Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: Hello from Texas  (Read 4901 times)

Mark Harbolt

• stringers
  • Prolific Member
  • Those that can, do.
Re: Hello from Texas
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 10:21:23 AM »
Texasborn,

Welcome to the "Everybody thinks I'm crazy" lounge.
I'm in CA.  Where everybody is crazy.  I'm just an outcast.  lol
Good luck with the cavern situation.  Keep us posted.  I have family in the dfw area and friends in Austin.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 10:29:50 AM »

Thank You!!!  This is a very helpful start.  I am currently in DFW MetroPlex (Plano).
 Appreciate!!

Good to see you here, Georgia B.
- Yowbarb

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 10:21:23 PM »
Austin TX here.  The Sonora caverns are at a high elevation (above 1500 ft), and the town has less than 5000 people in it.  Just off of I-10, about 4 hours west of Austin.  I was thinking of taking a drive out there and seeing if there was a water supply somewhere in the caverns.  Looks like a pretty good spot.  There's over a thousand caves/caverns in this state.  Not too shabby.

Welcome Lucius01, I have family in Texas.  North Texas.  I don't think North Texas is going to be safe much less south Texas, as beautiful as it is.  I am not a brainiac or an expert but I don't think 1500 ft elevation that close to a coastline is going to be safe.  I was originally planning on heading to the Ozarks but have since scrapped those plans.  I am now looking at the area of New Mexico all the way up to the Canadian border.  I know that is not very specific but I have had to start planning all over.  I would really urge you to start looking at the same.  What good is a cave if it is underwater?
You have to let it all go Neo.  Fear, doubt, and disbelief...  Free your mind.

Jamesomatic

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 07:40:38 AM »
Hey from Dallas.   8)  It's been wickedly hot here this summer and no rain to speak of.  I live in Richardson, a northeastern suburb; out where I am is semi-rural with pastures and lots of open space--not that that is going to make any difference should chaos erupt.

I've only recently begun laying in provisions and I just hope that I'm doing it right.  I've got canned and dry goods but I've also got frozen stuff.  My fear is that we'll have no electricity (for how long I don't know) and my stores of frozen foods will be for naught.  Any reassurances or suggestions?

Thanks,
James

noproblemo2

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2011, 07:58:29 AM »
James Welcome to Town Hall.....
Hey from Dallas.   8)  It's been wickedly hot here this summer and no rain to speak of.  I live in Richardson, a northeastern suburb; out where I am is semi-rural with pastures and lots of open space--not that that is going to make any difference should chaos erupt.

I've only recently begun laying in provisions and I just hope that I'm doing it right.  I've got canned and dry goods but I've also got frozen stuff.  My fear is that we'll have no electricity (for how long I don't know) and my stores of frozen foods will be for naught.  Any reassurances or suggestions?

Thanks,
James

Willsorr75

• Prolific Member
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2011, 10:09:17 AM »
Welcome James!
Stay informed, information is our first line of defense!
-Will

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2011, 10:17:36 AM »

Thanks,
James

Well hello, James! Good to see you here. (We corresponded while your Membership was approved.)  :)
About the only suggestions I have are, what you would think of anyway:
    Eat up some of the frozen foods...before the earth changes.
    Continue stocking the canned and packaged kinds of foods as you are doing.
    If no emergency generator at the time of earth changes you
    have to cook  frozen food. Freezer shut, it could keep a couple of days, gradually
    thawing while you rig up cooking system or other stuff. 
    I would rig up an out door cooking setup, rocks around a small fire pit, Tripod and
    big iron kettle, military supply.
    Unwrap and put as much frozen meats and veges as you can, into the enormous 
    pot leaving enough room for a couple quarts of water, dump in some salt or spices.
    Cover simmer for many hours as there is more room, add whatever vegetables 
    you have which will go bad anyway such as onions carrots, anything from fridge 
     perhaps even fruits.

The French (I hear) have a habit of keeping a pot simmering all the time and drop stuff in there such as veges which will not keep and so on, extra uneaten foods, etc.
There is one French recipe which uses one whole chicken one whole beef roast, and one whole ham. Pot au feu. (Doesn't have to be pork, I use turkey bacon in soup.)

The idea is if you have whatever meat and veg it will actually end up tasting pretty darned good even if hastily done and no recipe.

From the day of the power outtage to the time the soup is totally cooked down could be a couple three days... no problem. If kept simmering you can scoop out of it and just make that your food. That should be OK, simmering and then onto a cooling phase, onto the fifth day or so. If there is no way to can it, no woman there all ready with canning supplies, you may as well share it with whoever will eat it, just lukewarm in a disposable bowl, I am sure someone will appreciate it. It cannot sit around much once it is totally cooled so dole it out and be done with it. The scraps of it, bones removed mashed up would be OK for a dog, I would think...

If it does get canned of course has to be done hot and done right... but the idea is a person get a lot of good out of their freezer full of food, even if you cannot consume all of it, it will provide many meals for you... or someone else too.

I hope this is not too long winded. This scenario will play out in many households, I am sure. The idea is not that much food needs to go bad it could be simmered and used... a good part of it.

People could dig fire pits in their back yards, put rocks around the hole. Ahead of time. If needed it could be used. Also people can use kabob sticks and cook some foods up.

I have cooked in an iron pot with a tripod, out on my WA land; no longer have it...

Military supplies...

Sincerely,
Yowbarb
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 10:33:23 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2011, 10:24:03 AM »
Pot au feu [poh-toh-FEUH] "Pot on fire" is the literal translation of this French phrase.

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/pot-au-feu#ixzz1Vy4qsNwv

Military tripod and pot

Way to consume a freeze full of food,
YB

Jamesomatic

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2011, 11:52:23 AM »
Barb,
Thanks for the excellent information!  I do most sincerely appreciate your sharing your knowledge with me and also with the group.  I will take action to ensure that I lose/waste as little of my frozen foods as possible.

James

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2011, 08:01:42 PM »

Welcome to the townhall James,

I am glad you made it.  I don't know how long you have been researching this topic, and it doesn't matter.  We all started at the same place.  It is good you are making provisions.  I would encourage you to spend as much time as you can afford reading through the topics in this townhall.  You are correct in saying that we will have no electricity.  The  problem is it won't be days, or months, or even years that we go without electricity...  I don't want to overly disturb you but you may want to dig a little deeper.  Feel free to ask anyone in here any questions you may have.  We are all here to help.  Peace.

JKB

You have to let it all go Neo.  Fear, doubt, and disbelief...  Free your mind.

monisavant

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2011, 05:29:28 PM »
Hi, fellow texan here. I live in Austin Texas and am just now realizing how close we are to the SHTF time!  looking foor like minded people to start a survival group. I was planning to join the Ozark group until I watched what Dutchsinse had to say. I agree with him. THe Ozarks are too close to the miss river.
I don't mind going off of the grid but I had hoped to find an established survival group out there in a safe area. Does anyone know of any?
thanks, take care,

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2011, 12:05:36 AM »
Hi, fellow texan here. I live in Austin Texas and am just now realizing how close we are to the SHTF time!  looking foor like minded people to start a survival group. I was planning to join the Ozark group until I watched what Dutchsinse had to say. I agree with him. THe Ozarks are too close to the miss river.
I don't mind going off of the grid but I had hoped to find an established survival group out there in a safe area. Does anyone know of any?
thanks, take care,

Hi Monisavant, welcome to the Town Hall.  :)
I'm not in TX but anyway, this is to acknowledge your post.
Also I want to encourage you to keep coming back here to this Hello from Texas
Topic - also there's Southwest Meetings.
Good Thoughts,
Barbara Lou Townsend
Topic Administrator

Framlin Mountain Wildflowers, Texas Highways
Photographer: Tim Fitzharris
http://www.scenicstore.com/Store_Gear_Product_Merchandise/Texas-Highways-Framlin-Mountain-Wildflowers/P_ID-35736/index.mhtml

« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 12:09:59 AM by Yowbarb »

Morgana2012

• Trusted Member
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2011, 04:04:33 PM »
Hi I'm Carolyn and I've been reading and posted 35 times so I thought I'd identify myself.   My military family came from Oklahoma, we moved around a lot and lived in an Italian villa with the Mediteranean ocean across the street for 1½ years then moved to N.Texas.  I've volunteered for all kinds of activities; a Candy Stripe volunteer at Doctor's Hospital at age 17, the American Red Cross and Scouts, later on.  Got married and divorced twice.  Got a CDL & worked in the school system as a bus driver and cafeteria lady so I would have the same days off as my boy & girl.  Now I'm certified in health field as a nct xray tech and phlebotomist.  I like watching youtube videos of science related stuff including all the Yowusa and Nancy Lieder videos.  Books I've read:  Planet X Forecast and 2012 Survival Guide by Marshall Masters, Notes from the Cosmos by G.M.Scallion, Nutritional Healing, a little Edgar Casey, car manuals, nutrition & health books, chemistry, geology, do-it yourself guides, any science, survival books and the Bible.
I have a house 10 miles east of Dallas (550'>sl) and a second floor condo 10 miles north of Dallas (595'>sl).  I can't leave my family, I'm 57, so I don't have long anyway. I'm needed here to help their future if possible.  It's going to take more convincing to get my kids (26 & 30) to leave.  I just hope the roads aren't closed or bridges down, when the wake up call comes.  So there's a possiblity I'm going to be stuck.  Getting thru the highway system of DFW during rush hour is a 2 hour ordeal.  To get to the nearest ideal locations are all west of Fort Worth.   Plus I have 500lbs of survival gear, not including water, that I need to haul if trailer is available.  I can only afford to do this once so I'm working on plans (learning back roads) for a last minute exit to make sure the time right, so my family will come with me.  Last night my computer forgot the network password and I started packing things by the door, I thought the satellites had gone down.  Everythings Ok for now.  Check elevation of any where by going to www.earthtools.org  click Elevation option on left, and zoom in on any place. 
Breckenridge,Tx 1223ft - best bet aftertimes, no documented caves
Lake Mineral Wells St Park 981ft - high enough? no documented caves
Big Spring 2444ft  no water, no doc. caves
Weatherford  1128 - close to city
Stephenville 1292ft - no lake
Huckleberry Ridge, MO caves 1194ft
Flag Spring Conservation Area, MO caves  1384ft 
researching W.Texas & NM, caves, no water
S.Texas around Austin (see map craton map below)
Innerspace cavern, Natural Bridge Cave, Longhorn cavern
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 01:23:17 PM by Morgana2012 »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2011, 06:27:48 PM »
Hello TEXAS looking to go to the Guadelupe Mountains anyone else thinking the same?

Hello Texasborn.  :) I hope you got some replies to your post.
Members here can send Private messages too. One way to make contact...
All The Best,
Barbara Lou Townsend
Toipic Administrator

davemaskey

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2011, 07:05:06 PM »
Hi everybody this is Dave from "we re's my bike gone"Derby,England.
thanks for the welcomes its good to find like minded people, I'm
surrounded by sheep that queston my mentel integrity and after
pointing out one or two things all you can do is proscribe a trip
to the opticens.I do allot of digging around so if i find anything
good I'll post it. intresting to see the rise Earthquake and Volcano
Activity over the last couple of months.....E,T,I,C
lounge...lol.cool ;D

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!