Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System 
Surviving the Planet X Tribulation

Author Topic: Make your Own Yeast  (Read 13540 times)

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Make your Own Yeast
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2019, 04:35:23 PM »
Ilinda, I'd like to try your version too.  Do you use the ancient grains flour in the same proportion as wheat flour would be called for in recipes?

How do you suggest covering the bowl to exclude fruit flies but still attract wild yeast?

ilinda

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2019, 07:03:35 PM »
In this warm weather, I use tupperwear with a lid that seals well.  As long as it's opened several times a day for stirring, it works.

I use either spelt or Kamut, and occasionally einkorn, as hubby sometimes grinds the grain for me, which means Kamut or einkorn.  But I always choose spelt.

I don't measure anything but always put in several cups of flour in the tupperwear.  Then add cooled-to-room-temperature potato-cooking water and stir well.  Then several times a day, carefully remove tight-fitting Tupperwear lid, stir well, moving the bubbles around which will soon be forming, then carefully and tightly re-cover the Tupperwear container.  You will know if the mix is too runny, then add more flour, and if too thick and doughy, add more potato water.  If you're totally out of potato water, and have no more potatoes to cook, water will suffice, but I always "feed" my starter with potato water, as opposed to water, in spite of fact that most people recommend feeding the starter with more flour and water.  But I add more flour and potato water.

As soon as you see lots and lots of bubbles, you know you now have your own "sourdough starter".  It's that simple.  And yes, at this time of year fruit flies will be hovering nearby, so caution is the word.

I'm not sure how it all works, but I even think in the process of the potato water cooling, it is already attracting wild yeasts.  I haven't had to start a brand new batch for a long time, but it's easy.

Also, there is a book, Wild Fermentation by Sandor Ellix Katz and he covers a lot of this stuff.  If I've forgotten any detail, just yell!

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2019, 09:12:52 AM »

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Radio Free Earth: Community Preparedness and Two Way Radios

BUY NOW

In a post-global disaster world, predators and tyrants will have the best two-way radios, and they'll use them to surveil you at a comfortable distance.

What will you have? Signal flares and red bandannas?

If so, when you least expect it, the predators and tyrants will come to take a spoil and they will torture, rape, and kill without mercy.

This is why Radio Free Earth authors Marshall Masters and Duane W. Brayton have an urgent message for everyone with a serious interest in preparedness. That being, analog RF (radio frequency) is the heartbeat of freedom. Accept no substitutes.

Watch our free videos to learn how to stay safe and free with an affordable strategy for two way communication, both near and far.

Welcome to Radio
Free Earth

Why Radio
Free Earth

Post-Disaster
Communications

Citizens Band Radios
for Survival

BUY NOW