Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: Lack of Money  (Read 35166 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Lack of Money
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2011, 10:08:03 AM »
If looking for a shooting type weapon, that isn't classified as a weapon, a nail gun can be lethal also. You can virtually 'nail them to a wall', with them. Home defense.   ed

Really good idea Ed, and also bk and others...
This may have been posted on the Town Hall already, anyway here is one site,
101 Ways to defend yourself without a gun
http://defendyourself101.ca/articles/101-ways-defend-yourself-without-gun-rebuttal

This isn't a really concise list or at least I don't see it yet..
Will try to get a concise list together.
A couple of ideas off the top of my head, things I have done in the past. A combo of things actually used, or just had on hand in case needed.
When I was on my own a lot with five kids, we always had long sticks in each room.
Bamboo.
Can't remember where we got so many of those.
I put two three of them in each room and told the kids if someone came into the house who shouldn't be there grab the stick. Even a six year old can hurt someone if they whack someone with a long bamboo stick.
The idea was to:
                      help keep the person farther away from them
                      hurt him
                      slow down the intruder and buy time

Using whatever fist is free:

I have had a couple run ins been mugged couple times and other even worse close calls had no weapon at time. I have found that if the attacker is just nuts (not cold calculating psycho killer nuts but temporarily gone off his rocker nuts) that being unpleasant and hitting back will discourage him a lot. One guy I hit him with all my force on his left temple he had me by my right arm and holding my head but I could get that left swing in, really bashing his left temple. He discovered it wasn't so much fun to tangle with me. Sort of loped off. Someone I knew in the area described the same man, same middle class type jogging suit, foreigner who jogged up and put his hand on his shoulder. We came to the conclusion he was halfway off his rocker... not as dangerous as some.

The ones who are harder to deal with are the intelligent, truly sick perpetrator.
I would recommend having tazers and pepper spray around if anyone has the misfortune to run into someone like that.

Another dangerous type would be someone who has lost too much, never very morally grounded in the first place who is made desperate by lack of supplies or whatever...
Like in the Jericho series...   

Repeating assault weapons and tanks help against these guys. - YB
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 10:13:59 AM by Yowbarb »

noproblemo2

« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2011, 10:10:35 AM »
Wasp spray is another good one for defense, when sprayed it goes much further

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2011, 10:19:29 AM »
Wasp spray is another good one for defense, when sprayed it goes much further

Susan, thanks! Good idea! I hadn't thought of that. Those types of sprays do go out in a powerful stream.
I remember that from when the kids and I lived in Washington woods our land had these hornets that lived under the ground and leaves... and would fly up at us when we were gathering firewood.. so I had to waste a few nests near our little home.
IMAGE: WASP SPRAY EXTENDER this might come in handy too!  - YB

errrv

« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2011, 11:08:44 AM »
Hi guys,
Doesn't matter how you defend yourself, just remember a couple of things:
1) if you avoid the confrontation, your whereabouts remains unknown & you live.
2) if you do get yourself compromised, you need to keep the enemy at distance. Don't let them get close enough to touch you... Once you start grappling, anything can happen
3) don't bring a knife to a gunfight. No matter what your level of ninja skill, nobody walks away from a knife fight without a cut. Cuts get infected.
4) if you can maintain a good distance from the bad guys, you increase your chances of survival... To get hurt could easily kill you & your companions in the long run.
5) if you are traveling with folks who can't easily defend themselves, the minute you start grappling, you lose your ability to protect them.

Best defense: don't get compromised, always be aware of enemy, kill them with a long shot. Do not let them get close. If they do get close... Shotgun, pistol, edged weapons as a last resort.

Good luck, erv

P.s. Marshall says the contractors hammer is a great cheap weapon. I agree!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2011, 11:37:35 AM »
Hi guys,
Doesn't matter how you defend yourself, just remember a couple of things:
1) if you avoid the confrontation, your whereabouts remains unknown & you live.
2) if you do get yourself compromised, you need to keep the enemy at distance. Don't let them get close enough to touch you... Once you start grappling, anything can happen
3) don't bring a knife to a gunfight. No matter what your level of ninja skill, nobody walks away from a knife fight without a cut. Cuts get infected.
4) if you can maintain a good distance from the bad guys, you increase your chances of survival... To get hurt could easily kill you & your companions in the long run.
5) if you are traveling with folks who can't easily defend themselves, the minute you start grappling, you lose your ability to protect them.

Best defense: don't get compromised, always be aware of enemy, kill them with a long shot. Do not let them get close. If they do get close... Shotgun, pistol, edged weapons as a last resort.

Good luck, erv

P.s. Marshall says the contractors hammer is a great cheap weapon. I agree!

Good points, Erv.
I totally agree it's best to avoid the danger and keep it as far away as possible.
Marshall's idea of the contractor's hammer is a good one.

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2011, 03:47:02 PM »
Spoken like a true Recon Marine.   ed

bk

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2011, 09:25:25 PM »
Great ideals everyone thanks I did not even think of the nail gun thing was that from Lethal Weapon? ;)

I have been told that High Point make a good quality low cost weapon, got a .40 cal for $189 and tax should have some stopping power.

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2011, 08:29:14 AM »
From my understanding, many security companies are using the High Point weapons. I have one, myself. Very inexpensive and so far, it has fired well.   ed

errrv

« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2011, 09:05:48 AM »
YEs and the .40 caliber is also a good choice as most police & security agencies have .40 weapons. Easy ammo.

bk

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2011, 06:53:47 PM »
The .22 cal is still the best price point picked up a box of 550 hollow point shells for $20.

While the .40 cal is $20 for 40 shells.

errrv

« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2011, 09:20:51 AM »
Yes, you tend to flinch when you fire larger calibers... As you know a dollar or two is being shot out the barrel each time you fire. For a hundred bucks you can put back a lot of .22. If you ever had anatomy 101 or any type of medical training, there are around 20 places on a human that a well aimed shot will turn them into instant "rag doll". Which means you never have to worry about them again. A .22 is typically quieter and less threatening to other folks. It also doesn't kick at all.... Meaning easier reaquisition of the target.
Erv

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2011, 09:41:22 AM »
Ok, so which we would be better for the beginner, the 22 or that 40?  For someone with no experience whatsoever, and I hate to say it, but not much strength either.  You know, one my daughter and I could both learn with.

bk

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #87 on: August 04, 2011, 10:09:48 AM »
I would go with the .22 to learn (lighter, and ammo less expensive to practice with)

ammo around .03 to .04 a shot vs .50 or more a shot for larger calibers.

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2011, 11:38:58 AM »
I take it that we are talking about .22 long rifle. There are even AR-15's using the .22LR, and are very accurate and easier to handle, even when reloading magazines.   ed

errrv

« Reply #89 on: August 04, 2011, 04:18:24 PM »
Yes Ed, I think a .22 short may not even break the skin  ;D I guess you could shoot them in the mouth... Maybe they would get the bullet caught in the windpipe & choke :D :D
Erv

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!