Win-Win Survival Communities The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Radio Free Earth

Author Topic: Aftertime building: Cans and bottles; paper plastic and wood scrap  (Read 44185 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Hi all I was going to post this in my topic about internet survival sites but this Board of Ronnie's is the right place.
Turning Less Into More.

I like these sites with the ways to use recyclables in building a structure.
Here
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 08:43:09 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 11:36:46 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Aftertime building: Cans and bottles; paper plastic and wood scrap
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 08:52:43 AM »
http://www.beercanhouse.org/ This nice old guy built a house mainly of thousands of beer bottles he had saved for decades. The place is a tourist attraction and an inspiration.
He is survived by his wife who shows tourists the house.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 09:01:56 AM »
Last one for now, the man who created this wonderful house, fences and grounds did not consider himself an artist or a sculptor. But his projects are indeed considered art and are seen by tourists from everywhere. John Martin Milkovisch was the son of Austrian immigrants. He spent most of his life in Houston TX. December 29, 1912 to February 24,1988

http://www.beercanhouse.org/gallery.php  Gallery
(Texas)
"The Beer Can House restoration has been a project of the Orange Show Center for Visionary Art. The Beer Can House is now open for visitors Saturdays & Sundays. "
Join our mailing list and keep up with the latest Beer Can House and Orange Show news and events.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 09:08:42 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 09:14:10 AM »
More glass bottle house photos
a few photos of the builders too.
http://www.boxvox.net/2009/02/glass-bottle-houses.html

Over and out

noproblemo2

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 04:30:20 PM »
I found this site to be quite informative.
Earthen Houses
Most of the materials used for building an earth house are unprocessed, natural and local products such as sand, clay, straw and recycled materials......Read More

http://www.cobworks.com/what-is-an-earthen-house/

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 01:39:43 AM »
This is worth a repeat, the Manitoba church out on the plains, with glass bottle windows,
 - Yowbarb

http://www.centralplainsmanitoba.ca/photos/glass_bottle_church_L.jpg

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 09:13:34 AM »
In the aftertimes when the high winds and earth movements die down, people could put up a big old fence which would keep out unwanted critters, snakes etc.
With just a minimum of a framework and some concrete - cans could be dug into it and stuck on it. Save your cans and put them in a lined pit and cover. Or if you don't have time to be that fancy just dump them in there and cover so they do not blow away and use later.  You might want a separate pit for scrap lumber, plastic whatever. You could have a big old compost pit - all non - meat food items could go in there. Topsoil and fertilizer will be at a premium later on... This could be dug out and spread over an area to revitalize the soil. http://www.fao.org/docrep/t1765e/t1765e0s.htm
- Yowbarb

http://www.westboylston.com/Pages/WBoylstonMA_BComm/swatdir/020CF923-000F8513.2/recycled%20metal%20image.jpg

« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 09:18:23 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Site: http://www.simondale.net/house/index.htm    Hobbit House

Yowbarb Note:
I love these Hobbit Houses! I do not feel this house plan would hold up to radical earth changes, fires etc. but they would do well in the Aftertime.

In previous posts I have recommended people have a supply of local wood branches as well as lumber, stored in a container, along with live trees and plants, from your land. This home uses a lot of branches in construction.

Posting this also in

http://planetxtownhall.com/index.php?topic=213.0

Planet X Hitchhiker's Guide to Internet Survival Sites>>

Websites, Info - Surviving in the Aftertime 
Started by Yowbarb

.......................................................................................
Site: http://www.simondale.net/house/index.htm   
"A low-impact woodlands home."
The Hobbit House
For under 10,000 USD, approximately.

Site: http://www.simondale.net/house/index.htm   
"You are looking at pictures of a house I built for our family in Wales. It was built by myself and my father in law with help from passers by and visiting friends. 4 months after starting we were moved in and cosy. I estimate 1000-1500 man hours and £3000 put in to this point. Not really so much in house buying terms (roughly £60/sq m excluding labour).

The house was built with maximum regard for the environment and by reciprocation gives us a unique opportunity to live close to nature. Being your own (have a go) architect is a lot of fun and allows you to create and enjoy something which is part of yourself and the land rather than, at worst, a mass produced box designed for maximum profit and convenience of the construction industry. Building from natural materials does away with producers profits and the cocktail of carcinogenic poisons that fill most modern buildings."

Posted by Lady Lavona at 2:47 PM 4 comments
Labels: Home Sweet Home

Again, Here is the website referred to above,
Yowbarb

http://www.simondale.net/house/index.htm   
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 11:44:25 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
BTW a person could build a reinforced steel, very sturdy monolithic dome or two, connected, earth bermed -
partly - and create the hobbit look on the outside. That should do it!
See Marshall's Cut To The Chase show Topic, which includes monolithic domes.
Also we have a couple of Topics with info on these domes. (Just mentioning you could incorporate the hobbit look features without sacrificing the strength if you are trying to build in the next year or so.)
In the Aftertime however, these lovely Hobbit homes should hold up, and be a real solution for additional housing for your group.
Good vibrations,
Yowbarb

bk

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 04:03:53 PM »
Barb, 
         Some thing to stock up on would be sandbags. I have been buying them at Lowes $4.50 for 10. A couple packs a week and before you know it you have hundreds.

Light weight easy to transport and you just fill and build on site dirt is FREE. ;D

augonit

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 12:16:08 PM »
I've been saving copper for a few years.  I get it from old electrical cords from things that don't work, or was in my recent flood.  It's really thin wire, but I thought maybe someday I might have to melt it all down to fix something, or I could rig up a radio using the copper wires.

I guess I should save my aluminum cans to to build a house out of.  I hadn't thought of that.  I give them to my humane society so they can get $ to feed the pets.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 01:31:56 PM »
Barb, 
         Some thing to stock up on would be sandbags. I have been buying them at Lowes $4.50 for 10. A couple packs a week and before you know it you have hundreds.

Light weight easy to transport and you just fill and build on site dirt is FREE. ;D

bk what a good idea!
For one thing they will protect the structures which are built, at least to a great degree.
The sandbags can also be filled and used in structures along with tires or whatever is at hand. Thanks for posting,
Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 01:41:48 PM »
I've been saving copper for a few years.  I get it from old electrical cords from things that don't work, or was in my recent flood.  It's really thin wire, but I thought maybe someday I might have to melt it all down to fix something, or I could rig up a radio using the copper wires.

I guess I should save my aluminum cans to to build a house out of.  I hadn't thought of that.  I give them to my humane society so they can get $ to feed the pets.

Augonit, thanks, copper wire an excellent idea!
I know how difficult it would be for people to save a massive amount of recycled cans.
Not possible to quickly bug out, either with a load of cans. Whatever space there is in the bugout vehicle will be for people pets and gear.
I feel it might be better to get the survival spot first, or at least a place where a pit could be dug, a net put down and the cans periodically dumped in. Then when it is time to use them they could be pulled out. My idea was, if a group has a land site, they dig a pit for the cans etc, or a container, and whenever someone drives out there they can dump off some. It would have to be covered good enough to keep most of the rain out and also keep the snooper rule makers from knowing there was a "trash pile" on the land.

Important to safeguard the non - food trash it is all useable for building.
If in the "Aftertime" all all the group has is burned out land without a stick of wood to build with - at least they will have something... cement, aluminum cans; sand, bags, chicken wire, newspapers cardboard, tarps, duct tape, glue, nails, tools. etc.
 :)
Thanks for the copper idea..
Yowbarb

Montanabarb

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 03:33:28 PM »

Augonit, thanks, copper wire an excellent idea!
I know how difficult it would be for people to save a massive amount of recycled cans.
Not possible to quickly bug out, either with a load of cans. Whatever space there is in the bugout vehicle will be for people pets and gear.
I feel it might be better to get the survival spot first, or at least a place where a pit could be dug, a net put down and the cans periodically dumped in. Then when it is time to use them they could be pulled out. My idea was, if a group has a land site, they dig a pit for the cans etc, or a container, and whenever someone drives out there they can dump off some. It would have to be covered good enough to keep most of the rain out and also keep the snooper rule makers from knowing there was a "trash pile" on the land.

Important to safeguard the non - food trash it is all useable for building.
If in the "Aftertime" all all the group has is burned out land without a stick of wood to build with - at least they will have something... cement, aluminum cans; sand, bags, chicken wire, newspapers cardboard, tarps, duct tape, glue, nails, tools. etc.
 :)
Thanks for the copper idea..
Yowbarb

Don't forget that right now, copper is worth about $28 per OUNCE.  That's more than I paid for most of my silver.  It might be good to save for currency in the "aftertime." We'll need something if gold and silver isn't available.

Home Study System

Home Study System
Save 30%

BUY NOW

The ideal win-win survival community library reference system offers a broad range of valuable survival skills and knowledge. Ideal those in preparedness, it provides in-depth knowledge about how to form communities and operate two-way communications.

For human needs, it also includes a low-impact energy self-healing art and an essential role for seniors in survival communities.

A special note for those of you living outside the United States, we optimized this system for the lowest possible Priority Mail costs.

4 Paperbacks and 6 DVDs

Win-Win Survival Communities Signed

Radio Free Earth Color (Color Editon) Signed

Complete Danjeon Breathing System w/6 DVDs

Survival Wellness Advocacy and the BIG WIN

BUY NOW