Win-Win Survival Communities The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Radio Free Earth

Author Topic: SEEDS...  (Read 52709 times)

ilinda

Re: SEEDS...
« Reply #270 on: May 13, 2020, 09:51:20 AM »
For years I have tried to sprout almonds for the purpose of growing almond trees from seed, for the simple reason that all the almond trees we have planted, as well as those of neighbor, have been grafted.  They ALL die--always.  They say if you can grow peaches, then you can also grow almonds.

A couple of years ago I did manage to sprout a few almonds, and one was especially nice as it opened up, forming the growing stem that was several inches tall, but I accidentally killed it by transplanting it too soon!  It was so cringeworthy, and am still cringing over the loss.

Trying again this year after reviewing yet more youtube videos, I now have six almonds that are "hopefuls", one of which was started first, and is now several inches tall and looking robust.  I'll consult a Master Gardener before transplanting this time.  Maybe there's no hurry, as some of the youtube videos show growing the tree in a giant flowerpot.  Attached is a pic from a few days ago.

The most important thing about almonds is that nowadays in the U.S., raw almonds cannot be bought unless directly from the grower.  As such, most of the almonds sold in the U.S. labelled "Raw" are not truly raw, but have been irradiated and will not germinate.   Update to follow.

R.R. Book

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #271 on: May 13, 2020, 05:26:41 PM »
That looks to be a really good, solid start Ilinda.

Thanks for letting us know that most almonds are irradiated - I did not know that.  What's the purpose of doing that to the harvest?  Would organic almonds be an exception?  Am guessing there's no legal requirement for the products to be labeled either way?  Heaven forbid that we should be armed with information about our food... ::)

I've seen ornamental almond bushes around the area, which I believe are the bitter variety, but not the sweet almonds that you've described trying to grow.  Am guessing the bees like the blossoms, assuming that the nectar is safe for them to use.

ilinda

« Reply #272 on: May 14, 2020, 06:34:59 PM »
Frankly I see no useful purpose to irradiating raw almonds, but TPTB might have a couple of reasons.  One, maybe they have a bunch of low-level radwaste they can't find a home for, so what better way than to update the "food safety regulations", then tell the ag industry you just happen to have some material that can be used to "sterilize" the almonds.

A second reason may be that bitter almonds are the ones that can be used to extract Laetrile, and if all or most almonds are sterile, it will be very difficult for someone to grow their own source of bitter almonds, and we can't have sick people growing their own medicine, can we?

Organic almonds are no exception.  If they are labeled "raw", the probability is 100% that they will have been irradiated unless they are purchased from the farm where they are grown.  The only organic almond farm I'm aware of is in California, Bremner Farms, IIRC.  They are high quality and we've bought them for some years now.  They are at: https://organicalmondsraw.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_YKR7Ny06QIVCHiGCh3WzgHCEAAYASAAEgKp__D_BwE

And yes, as you said, Heaven forbid that we should be armed with information about our food...

R.R. Book

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #273 on: May 14, 2020, 06:43:01 PM »
Thank you so much for that link Ilinda! 

Home Study System

Home Study System
Save 30%

BUY NOW

The ideal win-win survival community library reference system offers a broad range of valuable survival skills and knowledge. Ideal those in preparedness, it provides in-depth knowledge about how to form communities and operate two-way communications.

For human needs, it also includes a low-impact energy self-healing art and an essential role for seniors in survival communities.

A special note for those of you living outside the United States, we optimized this system for the lowest possible Priority Mail costs.

4 Paperbacks and 6 DVDs

Win-Win Survival Communities Signed

Radio Free Earth Color (Color Editon) Signed

Complete Danjeon Breathing System w/6 DVDs

Survival Wellness Advocacy and the BIG WIN

BUY NOW