Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System 
Surviving the Planet X Tribulation

Author Topic: Seeds to bring  (Read 14947 times)

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Seeds to bring
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2019, 10:33:18 PM »
Who needs modern-day wheat anyway?

I recently found coconut flour at Walmart.  Haven't tried baking with it yet.  It has no gluten, so i'll add some chia seeds and/or metamucil for binder.  Any suggestions?

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2019, 03:07:16 PM »
Who needs modern-day wheat anyway?

I recently found coconut flour at Walmart.  Haven't tried baking with it yet.  It has no gluten, so i'll add some chia seeds and/or metamucil for binder.  Any suggestions?
If you try baking with coconut flour, and get not too successful results, think about making flatbreads which can be heated in a cast iron skillet.  When I make spelt flatbreads, which are just spelt dourdough and spelt flour, rolled out and flattened very thin, I cook them in an unoiled cast iron skillet until done on both sides.  Experimenting will tell you how high the heat, and when to flip them.

It seems coconut flour, chia, and ?metamucil? fashioned into flatbreads might be very interesting, plus tasty, as coconut has a natural sweetness.  Keep us posted.

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2019, 03:08:52 PM »
Is the difference due to flavor?
Yes, the red not only tastes better, but seems more filling.  I/we always feel fuller after having eaten red quinoa, and remembering having eaten the "white" (beige) quinoa and feeling sort of empty.

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2019, 05:36:26 AM »
Good to know.

Re: Jim's question about coconut flour, and your subsequent answer Ilinda, am gathering that coconut flour may be oilier and heavier than bread flour?

I wonder if it still contains phytochemicals monolaurin and capryllic acid when ground into flour?  If so, then it could be an asset even if more difficult to work with...

I wonder what the shelf-life is compared with unbleached wheat flour (as opposed to whole wheat, which has a short lifespan)?

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2019, 02:52:39 PM »
Good to know.

Re: Jim's question about coconut flour, and your subsequent answer Ilinda, am gathering that coconut flour may be oilier and heavier than bread flour?

I wonder if it still contains phytochemicals monolaurin and capryllic acid when ground into flour?  If so, then it could be an asset even if more difficult to work with...

I wonder what the shelf-life is compared with unbleached wheat flour (as opposed to whole wheat, which has a short lifespan)?
A year or two ago I bought a couple of different brands of coconut flour and have never really been sure of how to use them.  The one in my lap is unopened and is "Nutiva organic superfood gluten-free" and according to the nutrition facts label, serving size is 2 TBsp. and in each serving are: 2 g fat, 11g carbohydrates, and 4 g protein.

When I tried to use it as flour, my recollection is that it kept "demanding" more and more liquid--or something like that.  The memory of that left me feeling it was leading me by a rope and I didn't know where we were going, and wasn't sure what to add next.  I was experimenting, but never quite had an experience like that with wheat flour or spelt flour, etc. 

There is a recipe on this Nutiva bag for coconut blueberry chia muffins.  Ingredients called for are: coconut flour, baking soda, sea salt, raw honey, coconut milk, eggs, coconut oil, vanilla extract, chia seeds, and blueberries.

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2019, 04:00:43 PM »
They sound awesome!

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2019, 11:12:03 PM »
It seems coconut flour, chia, and ?metamucil? fashioned into flatbreads might be very interesting, plus tasty, as coconut has a natural sweetness.  Keep us posted.

It didn't work.  Made pudding instead of pastry.

I'll look for better recipes.

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Radio Free Earth: Community Preparedness and Two Way Radios

BUY NOW

In a post-global disaster world, predators and tyrants will have the best two-way radios, and they'll use them to surveil you at a comfortable distance.

What will you have? Signal flares and red bandannas?

If so, when you least expect it, the predators and tyrants will come to take a spoil and they will torture, rape, and kill without mercy.

This is why Radio Free Earth authors Marshall Masters and Duane W. Brayton have an urgent message for everyone with a serious interest in preparedness. That being, analog RF (radio frequency) is the heartbeat of freedom. Accept no substitutes.

Watch our free videos to learn how to stay safe and free with an affordable strategy for two way communication, both near and far.

Welcome to Radio
Free Earth

Why Radio
Free Earth

Post-Disaster
Communications

Citizens Band Radios
for Survival

BUY NOW