Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: Keeping your pets and domestic animals safe during cataclysms  (Read 24050 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Keeping your pets and domestic animals safe during cataclysms
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2011, 07:07:40 AM »
good points here.
i have one cat who I'd love to bring along (I'm 90% sure I'll be on the move just before SHTF).  besides sticking him in the carrier and making my family (and myself) deal with whatever "smells" come out of there during the long car ride, I'm not so sure what to do. 
one person mentioned leaving one of the doors or windows open to let him escape, thus giving him a fighting chance, but i would only do that as a last resort.

deena

Hi Deena thanks for sharing your ideas. Regarding smells from litter box in the car I highly recommend spending the extra money and getting crystal cat litter. It is blue and white. It absorbs a lot of odors and is easy to scoop out.
RE traveling with pets. I thought I'd share how our cross country trip went with all our cats in carriers. Why? A bugout to a location could take a few days... in that case probably  would not stop as often as we did with our moving van...but the ideas should still help.
It was mainly a success and no one even barfed - no one got sick from the trip.

1) It is do - able to have small litter boxes in the large plastic cages.
2) We checked on the cats a few times during the day when we stopped.
3) We opened up the back of the moving van so they could get more fresh air. A little sunshine.
4) It was a two - person job to get in there and change the water food and litter box.
My daughter climbed up in the back and carefully opened each door one at a time and handed the things to me. Extremely careful they did not bolt out the carrier door when she was taking things out. We started with the litter box. If it just needed to be scooped she scooped it and handed me the small bag. She handed down the water I dumped and refilled and handed back up to her. Same with the food. Their cages stayed pretty clean.
3) We stayed at La Quinta Inns. They are very pet friendly, as well as being good people and having a free coffee - breakfast in the AM. We carried all the cages into the hotel room and opened up the cages.
In spite of our best efforts one cat got out into the hallway but we got her back into the room. Important to not let them get out. Very hard to get the cat back if they escape on a trip.
In the motel room, we gave fresh food water, changed the littler boxes and wiped with alcohol and paper towels. The cats used a littler box we placed on the tile area. They didn't make any mess. We brought  the vacuum cleaner up with us. Brought the cats in their carriers to the moving van and our bags. One of us stood guard by the truck. The other one gave the room a quick once - over with the vacuum cleaner - we left everything spotless. Then one of us brought the vacuum cleaner down, loaded it in the back of the van and shut the back door.
We never left the door open with the cats unguarded.
4) Has to be big, solid plastic pet carriers. Daughter was trying to cut corners and bought one cloth carrier with a sort of twine crossways door. "Wild thing" chewed out and we never managed to get her back. Daughter even flew back there, we had called previously. Security guards were feeding her at the Motel 6 but we never got her back. Just not worth it to save a few bucks on a cloth carrier. The more alpha cats will chew out. (At least she was very healthy, had her shots and was spayed. We just hope she got adopted.)
Well I hope this discussion helps someone. I know it will not be easy to relocate or bug out with pets.
All The Best of Luck ,
Yowbarb
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 01:34:17 PM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 07:12:33 AM »
Are there any other guinea pig owners in here?  Chirp...  chirp.... chirp....

We used to have a guinea pig he was such a wonderful little character.  :)
- Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2011, 07:57:48 AM »
I'm really torn about what to do with our guinea pig, Charlie.  We have, unfortunately, spoiled him rotten and he is accustomed to living a plush and sheltered lifestyle.  I guess he is going to have to adapt to eating grass.  I'm hoping he ascends with us.

Any little critters who are outdoors will be at risk for predators at the survival location.

I feel when the survival site is being set up it will be important to have a large galvanized steel cage set up. There could be a number of separate cages, or it could have partitions. Tarp on top or boards. Open top not a good idea, predators could jump or climb in.

I would recommend putting this small animal enclosure INSIDE of a sturdy enclosed boxed in outdoor enclosure. These would be for guinea pigs hamsters rabbits, small cats, etc. See Image at bottom of this post.

The idea is something that would hold up if high winds started, at least hold up long enough to bring the animals to indoor shelter area.

http://www.guineapigcages.com/   Guinea pig info
Image:

Image: Just an example. Cats dogs, etc. The enclosure would need to be set into the ground or secured at least with tent stakes, even so, it would not hold up to Planet X - type changes. It would serve as immediate shelter when people arrive on the land with their pets/animals - while the survival buildings are being put up.
Pets and domestic animals would then have their own weather proof shelters.

http://www.dogkennels.com/dog-kennels/dog-kennel-accessories/fencemasterezroof.cfm?TID=FMR003&source=pjn&subid=20902   About $100.

============================================================
Yowbarb post, continued.
Cats dogs, a few chickens etc. secured in a different cage or partition. A separate one for guinea pigs hamsters rabbits etc. There would have to be smaller mesh put on the areas with these smaller critters. Separate one from these for parrots etc..
One of the first thing which would need to be done upon arrival at a site would be to set up a secure spot for all pets of whoever is there. living and/or working on site.
Foxes, wolves, coyotes, pit bulls on the loose - these will be a concern on survival land and even worse in the Aftertime.
- Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2011, 08:15:33 AM »
One example of an animal enclosure. I personally would want to have one ready to ensemble and bring it to the survival site soon after getting the land.
- Yowbarb

This is galvanized steel with black powder coating, supposedly rustproof, fairly inexpensive, lightweight, could be secured with tent stakes... other methods.
Image below, probably could get whatever needed on ebay.
Yowbarb

http://www.yourfencestore.com/dogs/kennel11.asp

Image:

Sunnybug

• Celeste of Phoenix
  • Members
  • Prolific Member
    • n/a
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2011, 09:35:55 AM »
Great info on the cages and the trip Barb! My sister's family made a similar trip although not as far. They had cats, dogs, and reptiles as well as the children and they all road up front in the cab - whew! It was only a two day trip but that was long enough.
Just so people know - a chain link fence will not hold cats - I've seen them walk right thru them, so a cage would be better.
Lots of great ideas!
Never Give UP! EVER

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2011, 09:50:21 AM »
Great info on the cages and the trip Barb! My sister's family made a similar trip although not as far. They had cats, dogs, and reptiles as well as the children and they all road up front in the cab - whew! It was only a two day trip but that was long enough.
Just so people know - a chain link fence will not hold cats - I've seen them walk right thru them, so a cage would be better.
Lots of great ideas!

Sunnybug thanks for the feedback...
Wow that does sound like long enough with all those critters.
It is possible to get some used kennels all welded together with top bottom, would do until something better put together...
I recommend people get some kennels and carriers and have them ready for evacuation/bugout.
All The Best,
Yowbarb
Just saw one for only ten dollars on ebay.   :)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 10:36:15 AM by Yowbarb »

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2011, 02:02:48 PM »
Thanks Barb and Sunnybug.  I guess I could have done that research on my own.  Guinea pigs are such high maintenance little animals I have had a hard time getting my mind wrapped around how I'm going to care for one on the move.  That's a lot of extra contingencies to plan for.  Still have to figure out a way to keep him warm during the winter too...  Thanks guys.  JKB
You have to let it all go Neo.  Fear, doubt, and disbelief...  Free your mind.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2011, 02:12:33 PM »
Thanks Barb and Sunnybug.  I guess I could have done that research on my own.  Guinea pigs are such high maintenance little animals I have had a hard time getting my mind wrapped around how I'm going to care for one on the move.  That's a lot of extra contingencies to plan for.  Still have to figure out a way to keep him warm during the winter too...  Thanks guys.  JKB

Hi  :) well I am learning and planning too... I didn't mind looking up where to get some cages. I don't have a guinea pig but I love those little guys!
What I am thinking mainly is a small space - inside a bigger, stonger enclosure... and weather permitting, the little creature -pets can be safe in that, while people are unpacking, sorting out, and initial plans for the shelter are happening. So easy to lose the little cute ones...
Kids get so upset over lost pets, pretty important to not add that to the list of wierdnesses which could happen in in the years ahead...
Well I hope some of this is helping... I do like to think about these things - I mean
some solutions...
 :)

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2011, 02:45:10 PM »
They are amazing little creatures.  My wife got Charlie as a class pet for her preschool class she teaches.  I though they were just like hamsters or rats.  I was amazed to discover that they have personalities, are very social and affectionate, have feelings, and are also rather intelligent.  Charlie is six years old and showing no signs of slowing down.  Good talking to you Barbara, take care.  Well, I tried attaching a few pictures of him and they were super zoom huge so I took them off.  Oh, well...

You have to let it all go Neo.  Fear, doubt, and disbelief...  Free your mind.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2011, 02:39:17 AM »
They are amazing little creatures.  My wife got Charlie as a class pet for her preschool class she teaches.  I though they were just like hamsters or rats.  I was amazed to discover that they have personalities, are very social and affectionate, have feelings, and are also rather intelligent.  Charlie is six years old and showing no signs of slowing down.  Good talking to you Barbara, take care.  Well, I tried attaching a few pictures of him and they were super zoom huge so I took them off.  Oh, well...

JKB yes, I found them to have their own personality and to be smart. Adorable!
We had one, Tuffy back in the 1980s.
If you can post photos, would like to see him,  :)
Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2011, 06:00:54 AM »

I found out pet rats have personalities too.
Many years ago I knew these teenaged twin gals. They had a big pet rat (not huge about 8" white rat) he would ride around on their shoulders, walk up the stairs with them... Acted pretty much like a dog just quieter.
 :D
- Yowbarb

errrv

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2011, 08:57:16 AM »
Guys, although you may keep your animals locked up like little felons, at one time or another, their DNA turned on "instinct". Let them go... They will figure it out. Your dogs will take care of you, not the other way around. They will hunt & bring you food, and die fighting off intruders. They know how to survive in the elements, you just gotta let them get back in the elements & get comfortable again.

Erv

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2011, 09:11:51 AM »
Agreed...so true!!  I had a sweetheart of a kitty once, always kept sneaking out.  He would bring home about 5 mice on the doorstep in the morning.  And, he always came home!  He was the best little mouser ever. 

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2011, 01:53:30 PM »
Guys, although you may keep your animals locked up like little felons, at one time or another, their DNA turned on "instinct". Let them go... They will figure it out. Your dogs will take care of you, not the other way around. They will hunt & bring you food, and die fighting off intruders. They know how to survive in the elements, you just gotta let them get back in the elements & get comfortable again.

Erv

The purposes of the cages which I posted  ;D are to safeguard the pets, during times when a bugout is about to happen, packing going on, ready to lock and load.
Also when arriving at a location, they will be safe in the cages until things are settled in and they can be taken underground... like to a little separate area.
The idea is 1) to keep predators out while  a person is busy getting ready to leave/settling in etc.

2)  Also, especially for cats - to prevent them from wigging out and running off disorientated in an area they don't know. Dogs are one thing... cats another.

As things settle down... obviously some sort of balance needs to be reached... but at least the local predators can be discouraged and the pets be more used to the new location...
Some pets and domestic animals will never be able to be "let loose," or they will just be lunch...
All The Best,
Yowbarb
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 07:01:15 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2011, 02:04:10 PM »

Erv

Erv BTW i do agree with your concept of let the dogs protect you, run the perimeter, etc. I suppose it depends on the dog.  ;D
If it is not immediately going to lunch out there, and has some fighting chance, cool.
I had a dog once... what a great dog... we would hear packs of coyotes, sometimes coyote dogs not too far away on the land. Jaws would hunker down and growl then go darting out into the woods. He would scare the ___ out of the pack of wild creatures and they always ran away. He was utterly fearless. Years later we figure out he was probably part wolf. He got a lot bigger than your average Shepherd cross. My husband at the time got  Jaws from a shelter... he was still a pup. We felt sooo much safer with him there... He was one alpha dog.
I do appreciate the idea of dogs helping protect a group.
I want a Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy or two.
- YB   ;D

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!